carat
color
clarity

Connoisseur Sale

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
krissy7|1409783944|3744320 said:
NacreLover|1409781590|3744305 said:
I purchased a Tri cord knotter and video from Rio Grande. The kit comes with bullion/frenchwire/gimp, needles, plyers and silk.
You can find the same tool from beadalon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The video teaches you step by step how to make a strand and install a clasp. Also how to make a endless strand. The knotter makes consistent tight perfect knots, that's why I like to use it, It's fast too. The teacher does a great job. Here is a preview of how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZ1FE25AMM

There are video's on pearl guide by Caitlin showing how to knot using NO tools. I also do a version of that taught a few years ago by Hisano Shepherd at the ruckus. You can find the technique in this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Bead-Stringing-With-Henrietta/dp/0962713708

You can learn how to do this with the silk or beaders secret for very little money. Once you learn to do it, you'll be tearing things up and remodeling like a pro. You may want to join the Lowly beaders forum at pearl guide. The ladies are friendly and you will see there are many techniques you can use, but they all get your item strung.

NacreLover, Thanks very much for your reply and the links. I will definitely check those out.

Krissy, You won't need a pearl reamer and most people use double strand of silk or beaders secret for strength and reliability.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cmd2014|1409749342|3743966 said:
icy_jade|1409719206|3743854 said:
DH also had an interesting non-pearly perspective when I showed him this months' sale offerings. He said that the Harvest strands don't read like a $3k + necklace. He also said about the Monili clasp: "why would you pay $2600 for a clasp that no-one will see? You wouldn't want to wear it at the front as that would look funny, and you'd have to either cut your hair off or develop a big 'pearl-do' (an updo that I do when showing off my pearls) for it to be seen". I explained that people do sometimes wear their fancy clasps forward, and he insisted that was 'weird' unless it was off center where it would be hidden by hair. I suspect many outside of the pearl world might share this philosophy.

But a pearl necklace with a fancy clasp off center is such a classic look! I remember my grandmother telling me that a quality strand of pearls was recognizable by a quality clasp, which should be seen (unless it was a graduated strand, of course).

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I agree that a clasp worn in front or on the side is classic and beautiful. When my DH bought me this triple in HK years ago, they showed him how the clasp could be worn front, side and back:

And of course my Equestrian clasp (though in this case DH thinks the clasp only works in back because the strand is graduated):

Then there's the examples of the harvest strands from Kamoka where the clasps look great anywhere.

And baby nurse's clasp on her Tahitian rope is lovely on the side.

I love the monili clasps -- they are dripping sensuality -- but they are expensive!

hong_kong_0.jpg

wss_clasp_0.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
In the other forum Pearl Dreams also wrote a step by step instruction with pictures on how to knot. It is a sticky thread in the Lowly Beaders section.

I sent Hisano one of my soufflé pendant from last Black Friday sale. She is going to make a Finestrino pendant. It should be bore out soon.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting! Can you post pictures of the souffle you sent her?!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I just received an email with picture. Hisano wanted to know if I am ok with the opening she is going to bore out. The top 2 soufflés are for hole size reference.

_21968.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
That is such a fantastic candidate for a "window"! Wonderful! What will she line it with?!

PiscesPearls

Rough_Rock
Wow...my PP Connoisseur order shipped already! :appl: I can't to see the gold & white south sea ombre necklace. I hope it looks ok with my fair complexion.

Sarah... They also shipped the blue baroque akoya drop earring. I am glad they were able to fill all our orders.

I will try to post pictures upon arrival. I can't wait to see everyone's pearly treasures.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PiscesPearls|1409798296|3744439 said:
Wow...my PP Connoisseur order shipped already! :appl: I can't to see the gold & white south sea ombre necklace. I hope it looks ok with my fair complexion.

Sarah... They also shipped the blue baroque akoya drop earring. I am glad they were able to fill all our orders.

I will try to post pictures upon arrival. I can't wait to see everyone's pearly treasures.

Great news Pisces, that makes me very happy everyone is getting those earring orders fulfilled!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Bosomlo, I asked for pink sapphire. I look forward to receiving this one.

Pisces Pearls, how exciting. I hope you get it by this weekend.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh PiscesPearls enjoy that ombre strand! I'm so happy someone here got it. It's a beauty for sure. I'm so excited for you :appl:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well Gosh Darn it...I was in Sydney for the Jewellery Fair and completely missed this sale lol

You guys really cleaned up ! Such gorgeous loose pearls !! :love: I don't think I have a favourite ... they are all gorgeous ! Fabulous colours...can't wait to see what becomes of all those beauties!

Well done you lucky ducks !! :appl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Katbran, what did you get at the fair?!!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hhpmom: which gem will be used for the insides?

Those who bought the blue akoya earrings: wrote to Chenai and she clarified that there were 4 pairs. So we all got them. Think I'll be one of the last to get mine so the rest of you pls post pretty ear shots k?

And... I got the Russian doll! (Sorry BN!) Now excited about the pendant setting to use.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icy_jade|1409803268|3744487 said:

Those who bought the blue akoya earrings: wrote to Chenai and she clarified that there were 4 pairs. So we all got them. Think I'll be one of the last to get mine so the rest of you pls post pretty ear shots k?

And... I got the Russian doll! (Sorry BN!) Now excited about the pendant setting to use.

Yay! So happy to hear that there were enough earrings to go around. I can't wait to see ear shots!

I also can't wait to see the Russian doll set!

HHPmom, you're brave to send in a pearl you are already attached to! That will look beautiful! I love the ombré ones on sale now. So unique!

I'm making progress on my custom pendant! Chenai emailed with almost an exact replica of the picture I sent in. I'm just waiting to hear if it can be made into an enhancer as it is currently a pendant finding. I'm super excited! They are amazing! Especially since they must be drop dead exhausted between the Tahitian sale and yesterday.

DH thinks I'm insane for being obsessed with enhancers. He thinks I'd never want to clip anything to my good pearls (especially right in front) for fear of scratching them. Is this a real risk?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bsomlo|1409794830|3744415 said:
I agree that a clasp worn in front or on the side is classic and beautiful. When my DH bought me this triple in HK years ago, they showed him how the clasp could be worn front, side and back:

And of course my Equestrian clasp (though in this case DH thinks the clasp only works in back because the strand is graduated):

Then there's the examples of the harvest strands from Kamoka where the clasps look great anywhere.

And baby nurse's clasp on her Tahitian rope is lovely on the side.

I love the monili clasps -- they are dripping sensuality -- but they are expensive!

I agree with you guys, but DH is pretty conventional in his fashion sense. If I were to wear something like that, he'd say it looked nice though. He's a sweetie that way.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
sarahb - I think this sale highlights some of their special pieces, in design, rarity and/or beauty. I love the price range too!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
HHPmom - I'm so glad someone is getting this unique design and can't wait to see it!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
PiscesPearls - That ombre strand is tdf! I love gold & white together and can't wait to see it on you!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014 - Personally, I don't think there's a significant problem wearing enhancers with pearls because hopefully it won't move around very much. There is the possibility of scratches so I may not use my very best pearls. I heard someone somewhere mention putting a very small piece of material or rubber inside of the enhancer bail to minimize the risk.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pkinnew,

I have a strand of lower quality Akoyas that I can use...he was worried about my $$$ AAA Akoyas that I recently bought, as the sales woman at the store was demoing the enhancer on a Hanadama strand. I suppose if I were really concerned I could buy a strand of freshadamas in a reasonably priced size to wear with it.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1409803268|3744487 said:

Hi, I am getting pink sapphires. I was thinking of making the ombre effect but the window is small.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
hhpmom -- Hisano is making a little "window" in your souffle so I assume she won't be filling the entire cavity with sapphires like this example, which I think of as a "little h geode souffle pendant":

Rather, she'll be filling the little "window" like this, which I think of as the "little h finestrino souffle pendant":

If this is correct, do you know what she will be using as the "windowpane", the canvas or background, to place the sapphires on? I assumed she cut out the entire panel, but maybe she just carves it leaving a thin wall to place the gems against?

example_little_h_geode_souffle_pendant_1.jpg

example_little_h_finestrino_pendant_1.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pkinnew: Thank you for that clarification, was thinking that was the case but just didn't 'know'. :wavey:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb: each month PP has a different sale. So July was mostly freshwaters, with a bunch of long white metallic strands that were made just for the sale.

August was the Tahitian sale, with all Tahitian strands at 25 - 30% off (although most seemed to be 25% off). For that one they added a TON of strands that had been in the vault and not previously up on the regular website. They also made a bunch of long ropes that you would usually have to special order.

This month is the "connoisseur sale" - where if you look at the blog they explain that these are all pieces that are too rare to find enough of in order to be able to offer them as regular sale items on the website. So far we've seen Hanadama strands of exceptional size, Tahitians of unusual colour (like that blue strand that I was drooling over), Hisano's little H line, the strands that they made one of for a magazine shoot, pearls of unusual shape or colour....so all unique stuff. I'm not sure what October will bring!

So it's always an exciting part of the webpage, as there are often unique pieces made just for the sale, no matter what type of sale it is, as well as many of their best sellers or regular stock.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you cmd for providing that context. Really appreciated. :wavey:

Did not realize they had a sale opportunity on a monthly basis. & it sounds like the Connoisseur event provides an opportunity to get in on some 'one-of-a-kind' items etc. I can see how this can become quite an 'addiction' if you will, have already begun looking for the 'next' purchase & haven't yet received the first! Oh my....

I do need to understand how a pearl grows so I can compartmentalize the differences of 'provoked' & all the other slight nuances involved. & why some are priced so differently from others. :read:

I love looking at everyones beauties, thank you for sharing! :love:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1409844522|3744709 said:
hhpmom -- Hisano is making a little "window" in your souffle so I assume she won't be filling the entire cavity with sapphires like this example, which I think of as a "little h geode souffle pendant":

Rather, she'll be filling the little "window" like this, which I think of as the "little h finestrino souffle pendant":

If this is correct, do you know what she will be using as the "windowpane", the canvas or background, to place the sapphires on? I assumed she cut out the entire panel, but maybe she just carves it leaving a thin wall to place the gems against?

Mine will definitely be the finestrino (window). She will slice only the belly of the souffle (see the black marking on the picture I posted last night) and line it with sapphires. She told me she will start out "boring the hole smaller so that there’s room to open up more if needed".The wall is still there and there will be enough depth to fill with gems. Side view, this souffle has a Buddha's belly. I found the picture I sent to Hisano.

little_belly.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow...slow day at PP today! Nothing new on the webpage. They must still be running to catch up with the sales on the first day!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hhpmom: Thanks! Realised that you did mention earlier - think I missed it cos was too excited. Maybe a little ombré is still possible?

Cmd: Maybe the schedule is new stuff weekly n returns whenever they happen? Anyway I will probably still check it out daily.

Haha glad I'm not the only obsessive site stalker here. Got a preview of one of the items cos I was asking about customizing something - based on that I think we are gonna be in so much trouble the rest of the month. Hopefully they also adjust their harvest strand offerings at a lower price point so that it's more attractive and then you and Kay can get some.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
There are a lot of large rounds in those harvest strands and rounds are expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results