shape
carat
color
clarity

Connoisseur Sale

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo - I looked at that necklace, but I liked the Tahitian version better and it was already gone. I think that is a great piece at a wonderful price point.

Looking forward to your neck photos! :appl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
You know, it'll either work, or it won't... I felt like stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something very different.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bsomio, that is so you! I have to admit, I kept 'seeing' it as a bracelet and didn't realize it was a necklace! It will look fantastic as a statement piece on you!

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
bsomlo, I bought the Tahitian version of that necklace. I love the onyx links and looked seriously at the white one, but I already have a 16.5 inch strand of similar freshwater pearls that I bought from one of PP's sales last year and didn't think I could justify a longer strand. I think you will get heaps of wear out of it.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see neck shots of your similar pearls. These are HUGE pearls!

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
I don't have a neck shot, sorry, but pulled this photo from my 'previous orders' record on the PP website. This isn't my exact necklace but mine is similar, with very large, very flat pearls with almost jagged edges. They aren't quite as large as yours - maybe 2-2.25cm across?

_21932.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
baby nurse|1409709803|3743781 said:
I don't know how long it takes for the emails re double sold stuff to go out. You should get on their live chat, but that may be middle of the night for you?

Anyway, I hope you got it because I want to see pictures :appl:

Thanks BN. I'm doing night feeds for baby so yeah I can go on chat. :)

I did get on the live chat yesterday, pretty much immediately once I went thru with my two batches of purchases (doll n earrings in the first). Chenai then checked and confirmed that I got everything in my first batch, but for the 2nd batch one of the loose baroque pearls (that thecat got) was double sold. So it was only after her confirmation that I felt confident enuf to post about the doll n my other buys cos I figured it is all hot stuff. I mean, I even discussed doll settings with Chenai n she said she'll check with John for custom ones.

For the blue baroque akoya earrings, I think PP probably can make up more so I'm not too worried. But there's only ONE doll after all. Ok, I shall stop thinking about settings for the doll until it's settled.

Anyway, lots of pics whoever who got it ya?
And we all have excellent tastes, pearl sisters! :lol:

Pearl_Girl said:
bsomlo, I bought the Tahitian version of that necklace. I love the onyx links and looked seriously at the white one, but I already have a 16.5 inch strand of similar freshwater pearls that I bought from one of PP's sales last year and didn't think I could justify a longer strand. I think you will get heaps of wear out of it.

Oh! Goodie! Can you pls post the glamour shot/specs? I was eyeing it but it was gone by the time I went back for round two.

===
Anyone got anything else? It was such a mad rush really that I can't recall most of the pieces that went in the first few minutes of the sale.

And I'm surprised the harvest strands are still around. I already have one so doesn't make sense for me but those who were considering to get one, why not those on sale now?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1409715978|3743829 said:
You know, it'll either work, or it won't... I felt like stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something very different.

I think it will work. Pls post loads of pics n neck shots. It's such a statement piece!

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
When I say "bought", I mean that I purchased it, paid for it and received a receipt, then got an email this morning saying it was double purchased so I missed out. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with Lynsey from PP, they said that they would make me a new one but I wouldn't get it at the sale price - instead it'll be about 50% off the original price (which is still pretty reasonable).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Bsomlo, If you decide you don't like the look of the necklace you could remodel with pearls you already have to make it look totally different. I tear things up all the time, it could be a Tahitian necklace in a few minutes.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pearl_Girl|1409720726|3743869 said:
When I say "bought", I mean that I purchased it, paid for it and received a receipt, then got an email this morning saying it was double purchased so I missed out. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with Lynsey from PP, they said that they would make me a new one but I wouldn't get it at the sale price - instead it'll be about 50% off the original price (which is still pretty reasonable).

Oops. I'm sorry to hear that. But hey the silver lining is that you get to customize a strand to your preference.

===

Found a better pic of my drop thanks to dmz.

image_2277.jpg

And this is Baby Nurse's blue pearl that I lusted over but was too slow...

image_2278.jpg

And thecat got this (double sold to me)...

image_2279.jpg

Such yummy pearls! :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icy_jade|1409719206|3743854 said:
And I'm surprised the harvest strands are still around. I already have one so doesn't make sense for me but those who were considering to get one, why not those on sale now?

I think the price point is much higher than expected. The 50 inch strands from the previous sale were $2025; the 50 inch from this one is $3300. That's a huge jump. They have lots of rounds/provoked baroques in them which increases the price significantly, but I suspect most people were expecting a comparable price point. Plus, from an earlier conversation I had with Chenai, I think lots of people already had them pre-done during the Tahitian sale at 25% off.

DH also had an interesting non-pearly perspective when I showed him this months' sale offerings. He said that the Harvest strands don't read like a $3k + necklace. He also said about the Monili clasp: "why would you pay $2600 for a clasp that no-one will see? You wouldn't want to wear it at the front as that would look funny, and you'd have to either cut your hair off or develop a big 'pearl-do' (an updo that I do when showing off my pearls) for it to be seen". I explained that people do sometimes wear their fancy clasps forward, and he insisted that was 'weird' unless it was off center where it would be hidden by hair. I suspect many outside of the pearl world might share this philosophy.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1409735494|3743925 said:
Bsomlo, If you decide you don't like the look of the necklace you could remodel with pearls you already have to make it look totally different. I tear things up all the time, it could be a Tahitian necklace in a few minutes.

My darling, you forget that I don't have your skills. At all.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Bsomlo, I taught 5 and 9 year olds how to do this, you could learn too.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1409755851|3744017 said:

Hmmm, not sure if this is a dis or encouragement...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1409749342|3743966 said:

I think the price point is much higher than expected. The 50 inch strands from the previous sale were $2025; the 50 inch from this one is $3300. That's a huge jump. They have lots of rounds/provoked baroques in them which increases the price significantly, but I suspect most people were expecting a comparable price point. Plus, from an earlier conversation I had with Chenai, I think lots of people already had them pre-done during the Tahitian sale at 25% off.

DH also had an interesting non-pearly perspective when I showed him this months' sale offerings. He said that the Harvest strands don't read like a $3k + necklace. He also said about the Monili clasp: "why would you pay $2600 for a clasp that no-one will see? You wouldn't want to wear it at the front as that would look funny, and you'd have to either cut your hair off or develop a big 'pearl-do' (an updo that I do when showing off my pearls) for it to be seen". I explained that people do sometimes wear their fancy clasps forward, and he insisted that was 'weird' unless it was off center where it would be hidden by hair. I suspect many outside of the pearl world might share this philosophy.
Great summary, cmd2014. Agree with everything.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1409756732|3744025 said:

Great summary, cmd2014. Agree with everything.

I agree too.

I personally LOVE the Monlili clasp, they have very rare natural pearls which add to the cost, they are also a little more substantial in size and are designer.

For me having special items like this on necklaces (or anywhere really) I could wear hidden behind my neck or in the front or off to the side to be shown. I would know I had something beautiful that made me happy, so in that regards if no one else knew it was there then I would be ok, because I would get it for me! BUT I highly understand not spending that on a clasp unless the necklace was something special. It is a lot of money.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying out dmz's method of pulling up pictures:

And, it works! Thanks, DMZ!

4240_1_.jpg

4240_2_.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo, No dis. I had some homeschooling neighbors, I taught the kids how to cross sitich, then how to frame the pieces they made in my custom frame shop. They asked to learn something else so I suggested they try pearl stringing. It took a few weeks then the 9 year old actually went to the local jeweler asking to do their work.... No she wasn't hired.
I didn't think I could do it at first, but it's lots of fun and it opens up so many possibilities.

krissy7

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1409764485|3744110 said:
bsomlo, No dis. I had some homeschooling neighbors, I taught the kids how to cross sitich, then how to frame the pieces they made in my custom frame shop. They asked to learn something else so I suggested they try pearl stringing. It took a few weeks then the 9 year old actually went to the local jeweler asking to do their work.... No she wasn't hired.
I didn't think I could do it at first, but it's lots of fun and it opens up so many possibilities.

Hi NacreLover, Do you have any suggestions for tutorials online to get started? I have a long string of pearls that I received from my in-laws. Because they were not knotted between pearls I never wore them (had visions of them spilling all over the place). The prices I found locally to have a jeweler string them were high so they have just been sitting in their box for the past couple of years. I am thinking I might like to tackle stringing them myself. I've actually already purchased thread from Pattye on etsy (another great find thanks to joining this forum). Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1409755851|3744017 said:

I really want to learn.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
krissy7|1409766502|3744127 said:
NacreLover|1409764485|3744110 said:

Hi NacreLover, Do you have any suggestions for tutorials online to get started? I have a long string of pearls that I received from my in-laws. Because they were not knotted between pearls I never wore them (had visions of them spilling all over the place). The prices I found locally to have a jeweler string them were high so they have just been sitting in their box for the past couple of years. I am thinking I might like to tackle stringing them myself. I've actually already purchased thread from Pattye on etsy (another great find thanks to joining this forum). Thanks for any suggestions you have!

I am interested in tutorials too, I have watched a few.

Kay

Ideal_Rock

Yes, I think it's the price point difference too. Since the 50" drop and baroque ropes were around $2000 last month, I thought the harvest strands might be under $2K since they are made up of the unmatched pearls. I should have done a custom rope during the sale last month, but thought I would wait and see the harvest strands included in this month's sale. Now that I see the harvest strands in this sale, I can understand why they are expensive because of the inclusion of provoked baroques, edisons or lots or rounds, but that's not what I was looking for. I just want a rope with 8-12 mm Tahitians in cool tones. I'll just have to wait and see if they do another Tahitian sale next year. I am kicking myself for not buying the 50" off-round rope that Icy_Jade scored -- I thought it was a good deal when I saw it, and now I know how good a deal it was! :wall:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kay, I'm feeling the same way too. I passed on both the 50 inch strand of blue-greens that I was drooling over AND the rope that Icy Jade got because I thought maybe the harvest strands would be at a slightly lower price point, and I was hoping that there might be a number of cool toned ones much like Mapo's or Baby Nurse's. I am regretting it too.

Hopefully because the sale is still young they might still decide to make more harvest strands. If so, my hope is that they might offer some at a lower price point later on in the sale, especially if the ones they are offering don't end up moving well.

I'm also hoping for a few more things at more reasonable price points as well. Maybe some more earrings. That would be nice.

OTOH, spending the extra money right now on the heels of my multiple shorter strand purchases would squeeze me a lot, so maybe I was saved from myself.

Pearl_Girl

Rough_Rock
I'm sure that if you contact PP they would be happy to make a harvest strand to your specs. The first strand Jeremy made for me (which you can see in the thread Kay started) was only made from baroques, no rounds or provoked baroques, and the price he quoted me was much closer to the prices from the Tahitian sale (but still a little more expensive, probably because he did use some very large baroques in the mix).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a Tri cord knotter and video from Rio Grande. The kit comes with bullion/frenchwire/gimp, needles, plyers and silk.
You can find the same tool from beadalon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The video teaches you step by step how to make a strand and install a clasp. Also how to make a endless strand. The knotter makes consistent tight perfect knots, that's why I like to use it, It's fast too. The teacher does a great job. Here is a preview of how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZ1FE25AMM

There are video's on pearl guide by Caitlin showing how to knot using NO tools. I also do a version of that taught a few years ago by Hisano Shepherd at the ruckus. You can find the technique in this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Bead-Stringing-With-Henrietta/dp/0962713708

You can learn how to do this with the silk or beaders secret for very little money. Once you learn to do it, you'll be tearing things up and remodeling like a pro. You may want to join the Lowly beaders forum at pearl guide. The ladies are friendly and you will see there are many techniques you can use, but they all get your item strung.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo - I thought that necklace was so cool - I can't wait to see it on you!

krissy7

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1409781590|3744305 said:
I purchased a Tri cord knotter and video from Rio Grande. The kit comes with bullion/frenchwire/gimp, needles, plyers and silk.
You can find the same tool from beadalon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The video teaches you step by step how to make a strand and install a clasp. Also how to make a endless strand. The knotter makes consistent tight perfect knots, that's why I like to use it, It's fast too. The teacher does a great job. Here is a preview of how it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZ1FE25AMM

There are video's on pearl guide by Caitlin showing how to knot using NO tools. I also do a version of that taught a few years ago by Hisano Shepherd at the ruckus. You can find the technique in this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Bead-Stringing-With-Henrietta/dp/0962713708

You can learn how to do this with the silk or beaders secret for very little money. Once you learn to do it, you'll be tearing things up and remodeling like a pro. You may want to join the Lowly beaders forum at pearl guide. The ladies are friendly and you will see there are many techniques you can use, but they all get your item strung.

NacreLover, Thanks very much for your reply and the links. I will definitely check those out.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1409715978|3743829 said:

I'm glad you got that one, bsomlo, as it is a very cool statement piece for a good price. I bet it will look great on you.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Back for an Akoya silver-blue earring update:

These were the pair that a few of us had 'purchased', remember these:

I had correspondence with Erin today: I did get those earrings, & it sounded like there was no inventory issue, as I also asked & was able to purchase a pendant of the same. I dearly hope this means they had the inventory in hand to meet the demand for that particular pair of earrings!

Crossing fingers here for the others that you get your pair as well!

This is my very first foray into pearls at PP, & I have to say, the level of communication & responsiveness with Erin & Co has been simply amazing, VERY impressed.

I can see where this would become addicting, I saw another necklace & of course found earrings to match, not on the Connoisseur sale though. But what I don't know is this: what is the significance of their 'Connoisseur' sale vs the sale on the rest of their web site?

Thanks in advance for your response :D

_21966.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results