shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Diamond E-ring has me down

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Diamond and entire wedding thing. Thankfully PriceScope has been there to really help me finally figure out the ring that I want : A 3 carat emerald cut diamond solitaire on a simple platinum LM setting with double claw prongs :)

My issue is that while I adore and trust my BF, I have very specific tastes. We're both in the Fashion Industry and I know he has great taste but if it's going to be a substantial and big investment, I want to make sure I love love love this ring. I sent him an email of what I wanted per aesthetics..solitaire, no pave, no halo, double claw prong, cut ratio. Pretty simple, but yes...big, bold, and beautiful. I apologized for being forward, but said that I would leave the other specs that concern more of the quality to him : clarity, color, etc.

He just recently asked me how I felt about naturally colored diamonds. I never thought about a colored diamond..and to be honest I might not be against if we chose it together but if it's a surprise I'd much rather have my simple beautiful solitaire. Some others might think it's boring, but I'd rather stick with classic vs trendy.. We spoke further on how he was happy I sent him the framework of what I wanted, but that it's also important for him to get me something that will not only blow my mind and exceed my expectations , but I also know he wants some creative input on the ring so that it's custom or not something easily duplicated.

I understand all of his concerns wholeheartedly and said I would be open-minded but this has really gotten me down. I don't hide my feelings very well facially so I'm so scared to open that box and be let down. I know this is not as important as him getting down on one knee...but I know PSers will understand!

I need your perspectives on Colored Diamond E-Rings (im sure he's still going to stick with the original emerald cut solitaire at least), and the importance of a man's element of surprise during the proposal stage.

Thx !

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm what color? yellow? if it's yellow then it can be awe struck! but truthfully I think fiancee should get what you want.. although back in the day no one cared.. round brilliant .50 tiffany setting... today engagement rings are about who a girl/woman is.

I would email him(or call) back and say that you have always envisioned a white stone.. but a 3 carat yellow diamond with emerald halo will look great for your 2nd anniversary say ;-)... I'm sort of traditional I do like a white/bright diamond as an engagement ring but I'm surely your mom's age...

A 3 carat gorgeous emerald style diamond is CLASSIC, high class and simply beyond the pale.. you could add baguettes for the audrey hepburn, princess grace era style... I wouldn't belabor it with him.. just light and airy! "oh I like colored diamonds but I have always dreamed of a honking HUGE emerald style diamond" (okay omit the honking and huge part) he loves you and wants you to be happy.. someone in the background is suggesting a colored stone... either the jeweler or a 'friend'... not sure.. but it's his gift so he can choose but it's your ring and your say and feelings should count.

I always say this but I truly mean it - I wish you much happiness and love and joy in your future marriage ... I'm sure he's a wonderful guy.

peace.

:wavey:

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
tekate: You're so kind! Thank you for the reply. Don't even get me started on Emerald Cut with Baguettes! I still toss and turn about adding side stones or not to the solitaire. Since I veer on the understated but amazing details (like a beautiful White Button down shirt), I think I'll stick with the solitaire with option to add sidestones come anniversary time ;-)

I think you're right about someone in his ear. One of his besties gave a 3 carat Canary Yellow Diamond to his wife, and another bestie gave a black diamond. But I also know he has always wanted something 'different' from everyone else. I know he won't do yellow or black again..but possibly something like Champagne color. My clothing preferences are black, white, greys, nudes, and blushes. I haven't been able to google many light colored emerald cuts so if anyone has one, pls show!

And does anyone have any imput on champagne colored diamonds? Aren't they just a light color brown? I read that due to recent marketing brown diamonds are now marketed as chocolate. cognac, champagne diamonds..but all brown diamonds.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Fancy colors can have strong hues so a yellow diamond could have a brown, grey, green etc hue color. No 2 really look the same because of the hue. I personally don't think FCD look very good in a classic solitare setting...well with a few exceptions. I agree with the previous poster to email your BF and say you would REALLy prefer a white diamond. Perhaps he can incorporate an FCD as a surprise daimond in the basket or something. I think it is important to set expectatons vs you not loving your ring./

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds by Lauren carries a lot of colors other than white. There is a 3.4 ct yellow on there:
ITEM #: R4939
18Karat Yellow and White Gold Diamond Ring
CENTER STONE:
WEIGHT: 3.40ct
SHAPE: Emerald Cut
COLOR: Fancy Light Yellow
CLARITY: VS1
MEASUREMENTS: 9.57 x 7.34 x 5.02 mm

Personally, I played with yellow sim stone in rings and I pretty much tired of yellow, except for the slight yellow tints like the L/M range. I think warm step cut stones in the I through M color range are interesting without being a strong enough yellow that I'd tire of it. I would not want a strong yellow or fancy yellow diamond for an e-ring. They just aren't neutral enough. J/K/L/M would be, though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe he is going to do a big 3+ carat emerald cut white diamond with a colored
diamond halo!?! How would you feel about something like that? I think you should
tell him that your heart is set on a white emerald cut diamond but give him some ideas
on how he could change it up to make it uniquely yours (and hopefully blow your socks off) .

Colored baguette side stones?

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
oh that diamonds by lauren site is great to check out some colored diamonds...i found that i liked the colored diamonds better as a 3 stone emerald cut ring instead of solitaire like the previous poster said!...im attaching the pic below of the one you said to look at...quite beautiful but I do think I will get tired of it. Funnily enough, there's a ring on there that is not available but a 3 stone as well and I really like that ring a lot..I think the center stone is more of a pinkish peach champagne color? (see 2nd pic)..to be honest..I probably wouldnt mind this at all for an E-Ring!

diamondbylauren.jpg

3stoneby_lauren.jpg

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1390253739|3597164 said:
Maybe he is going to do a big 3+ carat emerald cut white diamond with a colored
diamond halo!?! How would you feel about something like that? I think you should
tell him that your heart is set on a white emerald cut diamond but give him some ideas
on how he could change it up to make it uniquely yours (and hopefully blow your socks off) .

Colored baguette side stones?

Hmm, I'm not against colored baguette side stones or even a colored diamond solitaire flanked by nice white sidestones...it really depends on the color I guess..I don't trust anyone but myself to pick this out...he had made a comment (in a nice way) earlier that he
'might as well just write me a check for what i want'...

i feel like i'm taking the romance out of it...he really wants to blow me away. changing and giving options only opens the door for me to be even more indecisive.

thanks for all the great suggestions and help everyone...who knew diamond-lovers were such understanding ppl! :love:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of those rings are outstanding! Send him pictures of what you want or just plain tell him you don't want a colored diamond.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think that since you both sound like you have specific tastes and want creative input, you should go shopping together. Surprise is not the only way to be romantic - sometimes doing things together and compromising and picking something you both love is extremely romantic! And the how/when of the proposal can still be a surprise, even if the ring itself is not. I think if the two of you are able to shop together and design the ring together, you'll end up with a ring that makes you both supremely happy.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1390255957|3597188 said:
I really think that since you both sound like you have specific tastes and want creative input, you should go shopping together. Surprise is not the only way to be romantic - sometimes doing things together and compromising and picking something you both love is extremely romantic! And the how/when of the proposal can still be a surprise, even if the ring itself is not. I think if the two of you are able to shop together and design the ring together, you'll end up with a ring that makes you both supremely happy.

Exactly this. :))

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I would be honest and gentle, I have never had the type of stone I wanted (EC!) and am hoping for our anniversary (20 plus years) to finally get one. I think your boyfriend is going to be thankful because it is a huge amount of money that he is going to spend and a diamond is not an investment, but a beautiful gift and symbol. best wishes and come back and show us!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a light grey diamond? It struck me as the color that might best fit with your fashion aesthetic. I haven't seen one in the size range you're considering, however... and many of the grey diamonds I've seen online tend be cloudy rather than clear.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a colored diamond is not what you're hoping for then tell him so. He's asking so I would be perfectly honest with him. It's nice to be nice but since you've already had some discussion about the ring, I'd be very frank. I also like the idea of some of the others for you to shop together. It's important to both be involved but since it is something you will wear every day, I think your input would definitely be weight bearing!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3.66 emerald cut stone and I would love it even more if it were natural yellow stone.....3 carat yellow would be just stunnning. It sounds like he has good taste. champagne, black diamonds are cute for smaller rings. I agree that Diamonds by Lauren is a good place for him to start. Yellow emerald cute would be unbelievable

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1390257001|3597197 said:
distracts|1390255957|3597188 said:

Exactly this. :))
ditto

you can talk about it all day and not get anywhere.
you need to go out together [or get online together]
and look, look, look!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michelle, I agree with you re brown diamonds. Not my cup of tea at all! However, if he gives you something in the pink or blue range, thank your lucky stars, because those things are worth a BOMB. And a colored diamond is still a classic; probably the most famous diamond in the world - the Hope Diamond - is blue.

I love that DBL pink 3 stone - what a stunning, stunning ring! Sounds like it would fit with your aesthetic, too. Perhaps give him some guidelines re what alternate colors you might be open to? The most gorgeous diamond I ever saw was at Tiffany, it was 2ct, a clear, light blue, and was worth, as I recall, around 1.5 million dollars.

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
sigh..Thank you so much everyone for your advice. Yes I think a Grey or Pink Diamond is something I would love if done right flanked by white sidestones but I think that is totally out of the budget...I'm lucky I'm getting a 3 carat at all and am thankful for even being in this dilemma. I spoke with him yesterday and said I always envisioned and want a white diamond and am not opposed to a colored diamond if we could pick it together. Again, he nicely said to me 'seeing it beforehand is not going to happen'. (He's the type where he's already trying to book the best resty for Vday a month beforehand-he's so great :).

We both went to bed a little sad about the situation. Not sure if this is even the correct forum for this anymore but would love some male perspective on this. Thank you everyone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is it possible he has already bought a white stone and is trying to "throw" you off?

cheers--Sharon

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1390326349|3597740 said:
HI:

Is it possible he has already bought a white stone and is trying to "throw" you off?

cheers--Sharon

Doubtful..he looked stressed out yesterday when I brought it up..now I'm scared he has already bought the colored stone.

michelle0918

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1390326502|3597744 said:
Soooooo I know you said colored diamond-but you said the color pink and you said side stones and you said Leon and you said budget.

For 1800.00 you can get a stunning Leon and Barry ring. I think this would make an amazing e-ring
http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-colored-stone-center/leon-mege-slash-barry-bridgestock-purple-slash-pink-tourmaline;1901

Wow thanks Vintagelover...the first thing I said when I clicked your link was 'Wow, that's beautiful". I still want a diamond for my E-ring but that ring is gorgeous..I kinda want that ring just because it's so beautiful and relatively affordable for such a dramatic piece. Thanks again!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very beautiful :) You could always get it and just use the setting and either reset the stone into a pendant or right hand ring or sell it.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
michelle0918|1390326154|3597739 said:
sigh..Thank you so much everyone for your advice. Yes I think a Grey or Pink Diamond is something I would love if done right flanked by white sidestones but I think that is totally out of the budget...I'm lucky I'm getting a 3 carat at all and am thankful for even being in this dilemma. I spoke with him yesterday and said I always envisioned and want a white diamond and am not opposed to a colored diamond if we could pick it together. Again, he nicely said to me 'seeing it beforehand is not going to happen'. (He's the type where he's already trying to book the best resty for Vday a month beforehand-he's so great :).

We both went to bed a little sad about the situation. Not sure if this is even the correct forum for this anymore but would love some male perspective on this. Thank you everyone.

You asked for a male perspective, so I'll give you my take.

I am also of the 'not seeing it beforehand' school of thought. I wanted the ring to be a surprise, so I tried to get as much detail as I could, before choosing the proper stone / setting.

If you're able to let him know exactly what you want, he will be likely to include those details (if he's a smart man). He may not act like he's listening, but he seems to be pretty perceptive from your comments, and will pick up on those specifics. JUST BE EXPLICIT! The more wiggleroom you leave ('colored stone is fine if x, y, or z'), the less likely you are to get what you want. You need to spend some time determining what you want (shape, size, metal for setting), so he has enough time to find what you want and isn't weighing an infinite number of options.

If he can concede to letting you have input over the general parameters, and you can concede to letting him choose the specific stone/setting, as well as the timing, I think a positive compromise can be reached.

Best of luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Light grey or grey diamonds are not as expensive as pink at ALL.

Might e worth lookin into as try are aaammaazziiinng

This one is dark(so out of budget) but too lovely not to share. uploadfromtaptalk1385407717329.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not a guy, but...

You've already said that he has fantastic taste, and you've given him the broad outline of what you want. You know he's thinking 3+ carats - which is going to make a significant presentation no matter what color...

So why not prepare yourself to be pleasantly surprised?

It sounds like you're in an enviable position and will get a lovely ring... one might not be the ring of your dreams, but certainly would not be objectionable. And - if you don't grow to love it - one that could be sold or traded at some future anniversary for a ring more to your liking.

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
OP, I think you're taking this a bit far. (I'm male.) Just sit back and let him spend his money on something that reflects his love for you. You just get to say yes or no. Part of being married is accepting that things aren't always going to work out the way you want them to. Be glad he can afford a 3-ct rock and a wedding without going into debt, and wear whatever it is with pride.

Colored stones can be great or awful. In emerald cut they can be very hard to find. Leibish has just one in your specs:

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/11706.htm

It's VS1 - clarity is huge in emerald cuts because they show inclusions easily. The brownish color and two-tone gold may not be to your liking, and this is smaller in terms of face area than a cushion or radiant of the same carat weight. But again, this isn't your decision or your money. Your decision is to say yes or no to your suitor.

I should mention that my wife, a TV news anchor (like you, judged a lot on her appearance), fell in love with fancy colored diamonds looking at Sotheby's catalogues. Ultra-high-end diamonds are almost all colored - usually yellow, pink, blue, green, or red. A small fancy-color diamond of good color will impress someone who really knows their stuff more than a big diamond of not-great color.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So georgestevens, did you get her a fancy color diamond or did she fall in love with them after you were married?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
for my engagement ring, sorry, it WILL go the way *I* want it (w/in reason/budget of course), or he gets a punch in the throat. It's not like getting vetoed on your choice of where to eat for a night. Part of marriage is also not being the supreme ruler and dictating "like it or stuff it".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results