shape
carat
color
clarity

Citrine Asscher arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have been quivering in anticipation of my yummy citrine asscher from Doug at Bespoke Gems arriving and finally today it did. I will post pics tomorrow but here is the link for those who can''t wait.

The colour is perfect, delicious lemony yellow inside and slightly more golden colour in the sun. 8mm seems MASSIVE, soooo glad I didn''t go any bigger! LOL.

Only small disappointment is it doesn''t have the windmill effect.
33.gif
It''s like the windmills stop before the bottom of the stone. I didn''t specifically ask for big fat windmills which is my fault alone but I''m suprised they don''t really appear at all. You can sorta see it on the link but I didn''t notice it as the pics were taken at an angle.

Other than that I totally adore it and will probably keep it regardless. Just wondered what you thought as I though asschers were supposed to have windmills.
34.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for a perfect color! Can''t wait to see the pics tomorrow!

Hmmm, you know, I HAD noticed the asschers on his site had no windmills in the center. Sort of like he goes half-asscher, half-simple square cut . . . or whatever that is called (thinking the Precision Gem little tsavorite that was a thread started yesterday). At the time I thought that was just his way of changing it up a bit since he has so many "different" designs from what I see on most sites.

Sorry that it''s not 100% perfectly what you were expecting. Do want to see the pics, though, to see how much of an effect it makes in person. Or, rather, in person for YOU rather than his studio shots.
1.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, had I noticed before I would have specifically asked for them. I have some family who live in Holland and the windmills sorta special in my mind to remind me of them.

Despite that I adore it, colour is perfect, cut is so crisp there is that endless ripple effect I love about asschers. When I asked Doug about the missing windmills he explained that it was his prefered way of cutting and hoped I was ok with that.

I have no doubt that once set I''ll barely be able to look away!

Will post pics as soon as I can.
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hrmm..yeah looking at the photos it''s really a square emerald with extra pavilion steps - not a true asscher, but very pretty none the less!

tbh, I do think Doug should not call this an asscher cut on his site though, considering the windmills are what distinguish an asscher from a square emerald..perhaps you could provide him the feedback.

Congrats on receiving your gem pozzum - what are your plans for it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Windmills or not, it’s well cut. Could it be that he cut the extra facets to help a low RI stone like a citrine appear more interesting, brilliant and deeper in colour? I have noticed quite a few cutters calling a variety of asscher styles. Some are what I call a carre cut but others perhaps could be more accurately called a modified asscher cut? I suppose, for simplicity, they are all called asscher cuts to make it easier for consumers to recognize them. After all, it’s only a select group of buyers like PSers who tend to be rather particular about a specific colour and cut.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see alot of pictures! So excited!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
HP, that colour is really beautiful, and I love the Asscher shape!

There are quite a few cutters who don''t cut the windmill all the way to the culet. Dan Stair comes to mind, although his cuts are simply gorgeous. Those who do are Peter Torraca, Gary Braun, Gene Flanigan, and Jeff White. There may be more that I''m missing, but every Asscher inspired gemstone I own from those 4 cutters has the windmill effect. Barry Bridgestock cuts an Asscher that seems to have more facets, but still retains the deeply octagonal asscvher steps to the culet. I don''t own one of his yet, but the pics I''ve seen seem to give his asschers a leg up on the traditional cut, and I suspect that''s why Doug cuts his in the manner he does.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 8:19:48 AM
Author: Chrono

Windmills or not, it’s well cut. Could it be that he cut the extra facets to help a low RI stone like a citrine appear more interesting, brilliant and deeper in colour? I have noticed quite a few cutters calling a variety of asscher styles. Some are what I call a carre cut but others perhaps could be more accurately called a modified asscher cut? I suppose, for simplicity, they are all called asscher cuts to make it easier for consumers to recognize them. After all, it’s only a select group of buyers like PSers who tend to be rather particular about a specific colour and cut.

Chrono,
I never said it wasn''t a well cut stone - I like the stone alot.
I actually prefer this type of style that Doug cuts to a true asscher, personally, and would request this type of cut if it were me going custom.

My comment was simply that it may be helpful for future clients like Pozzum (who btw has been a PSer for a couple weeks, so I would say falls into the "regular consumer" category still), who was expecting a true asscher, for him to list them as something like a modified asscher, or whatever he would like.

Pozzum, my apologies for my contribution to the detour your thread has taken.
I still say its a gorgeous gem, and would still love to know your plans for it.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,
Your post caught me by surprise. I was not questioning your comments at all, in fact, I was in agreement. I guess with the written word, it can be misconstrued since the tone doesn’t always come across well. My intention is to offer suggestions as to why Doug cut it as he did since HP was a little dejected that it didn’t have strong windmills.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 9:58:37 AM
Author: Chrono
AJ,

Your post caught me by surprise. I was not questioning your comments at all, in fact, I was in agreement. I guess with the written word, it can be misconstrued since the tone doesn’t always come across well. My intention is to offer suggestions as to why Doug cut it as he did since HP was a little dejected that it didn’t have strong windmills.

ha ha, ok C! tbh, yours caught me by surprise too - my apologies for misunderstanding your tone/intent.

Looks like we are in agreement but just didn''t know it - all good!
13.gif
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emhug.gif
emhug2.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, hotpozzum, I'm glad you're happy with it!

I've actually emailed with Doug about his asscher cuts. Remember the peridot asscher that redfaerythinker was considering? That stone had windmills to the center, and Doug said it was a 5 corner-step version of an asscher, whereas he normally prefers a 4 corner asscher with the square pyramid in the center. He said he likes the resulting patterns and brightness better. I think he cut the peridot in the 5 corner-step version to accommodate a shallow depth in that stone. If you have questions, just ask him - I've found him to be one of the nicest cutters and very generous with information.

Regardless, I think your stone bright and delicious, and I can't wait to see your pics.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I was totally tempted by that stone. Can''t wait to see pics!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your lovely compliments.
I have been busy loupeing the stone at home and it''s absolutely flawless. Really great crisp cutting.

Personally I wanted windmills (bigger the better!) so yes I am disapointed it doesn''t have them, but I''m sure I''ll get over it. Doug explained that he cuts both 4/5 and 5/5 styles but prefers 4/5. I should have specified but too late now and I don''t think I could bare to send it back now as I definitely love it anyway!
30.gif

I plan to set it as my new e-ring. I realise it''s not the hardest of stones so I will have to be very careful. Fortunately I have a desk job and rarely wear my rings once I get home.

Sooo any ideas would be great? I''m strictly a yellow gold person. Looking for really sleek modern style ring. Maximum shank width of 3mm. Thinking along lines of Tiffany bezet style with really skinny bezal and slim shank, nice open gallery to let maximum light in.... what do you think? I''ll prob need custom setting but any detailed pictures would be great.

Thanks again, plan to post pics tonight when I get home.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
pozzum, a James Meyer bezel sounds perfect for what you've described - here's a link to my thread with a garnet in a YG one. thread

If that is more than you wanted to spend, I would definitely send it to Julia Kay Taylor, she will be able to do something wonderful and just what you've described.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doug has very kindly offer to recut me another asscher with windmills as a replacement. I have accepted his offer and so will post pics once receiving that one instead. Yay!

Also looking into the Julia Kay taylor idea....
35.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if I already showed you this as an inspiration, but I think you might find it useful.

LINK.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 10:41:14 PM
Author: HotPozzum
Doug has very kindly offer to recut me another asscher with windmills as a replacement. I have accepted his offer and so will post pics once receiving that one instead. Yay!

Also looking into the Julia Kay taylor idea....
35.gif

oh wow, that is very nice of him!
Glad you are getting just what you want pozzum, and I think Julia would be a great match for this lovely stone (just a heads up though, I would email her asap as she is extremely busy furnishing other PS''ers orders).
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s awesome that he will cut a replacement stone for you! Talk about outstanding customer service.
36.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize that citrines could have a color that nice !

I love windmills, too. (Both in stones and real ones.)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Doug seems like a pretty good guy to me. He sure takes nice pictures too. I''d better check out this citrine you are passing on. I like my square cuts without windmills!! I know - I''m odd.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey,

I have just posted it back to him today. He is going to use it to match the colour perfectly for the new one so keep an eye out on his website for that one so you can snap it up!

Yes, I couldn''t recommend Doug more and I sincerely hope the Administrators will add him to the vendors list. His offer to recut my stone is so generous. He has been nothing short of amazing to work with, so friendly and obliging. Great communication and endless patience with me!

I only wish he was a jeweller too so I could leave the whole process with him!
31.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey - my stone is now up for offer if you are still interested. Just head to his website. Link is at the top of this thread.

Cheers,

HotPozzum
35.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so pleased for you!! It''s better to get exactly what you want!
9.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update. Doug says he cut it over the weekend and posted it Monday I think so should be here soon. (Fingers crossed)

Very excited - here is teaser pic (although rather dark due to lighting I''m told) It was actually cut from the other half of the same rough the first stone was cut from so it should be the same sunny yellow.

Geez look at those windmills.....
30.gif
I''m in heaven!

149b.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a setting style I am considering. Love the uniqueness of this. It''s from Harriet Kelsall in the UK - I''m a big fan of her work.

I want a bezal or semi-bezal setting to protect my new lovely but as it''s quite a large stone (7mm on my size 4 hands) the usual side stones may overwhelm it.

Soooo thought this may be a cool architectual style alternative. Getting teensy princess cut diamonds or white sapphires shouldn''t be too hard either.

Obviously mine will be set in rich yellow gold. What do you all think????
31.gif

635_2.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Man, I want that citrine you sent back SO BAD. I actually started writing the email - but dang it, I just couldn''t bring myself to do it right now. I hope someone else here snaps it up!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! It does look a little different, but I can''t wait to see what your pics of that citrine grade look like.
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah that picture looks very nice!! I bet you''ll love it when you get it!! Congrats.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum, I just saw this thread. I absolutely LOVE your citrine! GORGEOUS stone! I''ve been wanting an asscher citrine for quite a while now, since I''ve always loved the asscher cut and citrine is DH''s birthstone. Also, like you, I''m a big fan of the lighter yellow color, as opposed to the darker orange. Do you know if your old stone is still available on Doug''s website? I think it might be, and I think it''s the fourth stone down on this page. Am I right??? And I understand that you''re in the US and Doug is in Australia. How did the international shipping work out for you? Was there a substantial charge for bringing it into the country? I''ve never had anything of value shipped internationally so I don''t know how it works. Thanks for any help you can give me!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results