shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Just finished from Sally featuring a 72.17ct from Dana.

bracelet1.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

wow sarahbear! thats a big ol stone!!! :lickout: very pretty though and suits the pearls to a T!

-A

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

WOW! That's a lot of work and time to polish a stone that size.

Is that a choker? Neat looking piece, and my hat off to Dana for polishing a stone that size.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock

Princess Di's Bracelet!!! It looks awesome. Sarah you are creating some awesome pieces.... :appl: :appl: :appl:

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

WOW....I'm in AWE!!!!!

Lori

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful Sarah!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, that is just the coolest bracelet ever!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Lovely projects everyone!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

Woohoooooo! I do believe that the current rough Dan Stair is cutting is mine!
It will hopefully grow up to be an oval 6.8 x 6.1, to be placed in this setting
Without this forum I would have had no clue so a huge thank you to everyone sharing their knowledge. What tone do you think it will turn out? It looks to my newbie eyes like a dark blue with maybe some grey.

My future stone.JPG

DSCF0198ju.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

THanks for the comments everyone! I forgot to include that it is a blue topaz... I was in a hurry to post it before the hubs and i ran out the door for dinner.

I have a thread in the pearl forum about the bracelet. The other side of the bracelet has a diamond clasp- it was very much inspired by Princess Di's bracelet. I just wish mine was an aqua too :)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-done-my-topaz-and-pearl-bracelet-by-sally.156928/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-done-my-topaz-and-pearl-bracelet-by-sally.156928/[/URL]

bracelet6.jpg

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

Wow that clasp is amazing!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

natascha|1298487785|2857948 said:
Wow that clasp is amazing!
Thanks Natascha...it is a stock clasp from either PP or the Pearl Outlet...I can't remember which.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I rather have a pinkish red Mahenge. That's way too orange for my taste, and for the price, but you have to like that color.

Did you ask about UV fluor, extinction, color shifting, saturation (brown ???).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

from what I can see its quite pretty.

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Arcadian|1298575439|2858618 said:
from what I can see its quite pretty.

-A

I like it, and/but I like that color.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm just expanding on my thoughts from yeststerday so forgive some of the mistakes and such, At least I'm making more sense today lol.

Most of the reds Ive seen for sale are pretty much rarely stright red. they'l always be some red and something else. There's the elusive red which of course you'd spend a mint on, but I think its very subjective. You will ALWAYS have someone not happy with this red of that red. As long as the person buying it likes it, tht matters most.

I did my homework on red spinels and I can tell you this: reds can cost ALOT. I was suprised by how much more they are than the pinks but they're plenty expensive the redder they are. I've yet to see a red spinel sell for so low unless it has issues like mine did (very silky, inclusions, etc)

I do like it. My spinel isn't orangy red can show up that way because of how my camera interprets what it sees. So I'm a bit more forgiving when it comes to nuances of colors in stones because of that. Plus, I'm not taking time to photoshop, I do enough of that for WORK! :lol:

The ring is really lovely and I could see me setting my stone in that type of setting (I looked at something very similar actually :saint: )

So my thought is this; if really liked, and can afford, go for it. Reds are getting very expensive as time goes by.

-A

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks all for your thoughts. I like the color, and the setting, the stone itself is cut a bit wonky though. I do love that color though and I would probably never be able to afford straight red. But part of me thinks for that kind of dough I could get a bigger precision cut pink red.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks like a nice looking red spinel although expensive for the price. Then again, it comes certified so there’s no worry about it being a synthetic. Pricing goes up exponentially when the stone hits certain carat weight jumps. If you like it from the picture, it is worth taking a look at it in person to see how it behaves under various lighting. If it doesn’t shift to something garnety, muddy or orangish, it may be worth it. I agree that the cut is lacking and you’ll be able to get a nicer pink red for the same amount of money. Pink reds are going to be less expensive than straight reds, all other variables being equal.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want pink red, then go for it. This won't be a stone you want in that case. It would be worth it for you to call around to see whats available.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The only other thing I can add to what everyone else wrote about that spinel is to make sure you read all the feedback carefully, and you are confident of their return policy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian|1298637801|2859146 said:
Most of the reds Ive seen for sale are pretty much rarely stright red. they'l always be some red and something else. There's the elusive red which of course you'd spend a mint on, but I think its very subjective. You will ALWAYS have someone not happy with this red of that red. As long as the person buying it likes it, tht matters most.

Yes, most red gems have either a secondary of orange, pink or even a little blue. I like Burmese rubies because as far as I'm concerned (and I could be wrong), in their finest quality, they are the reddest of red. They even have a touch of blue in them. When they fluoresce, they get even redder, so always ask about fluorescence on any red family gem. It's nice when they get more saturated in the sun.

If a person likes orangey red, then the spinel above is for them. I'm not a fan of orangey red, but many people are. I guess I'm guilty of trying to sway people to what I like :devil: , but in reality, it's what you love that matters most, and to know that you should be paying a fair price. :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tourmaline_lover|1298648407|2859260 said:
Arcadian|1298637801|2859146 said:

Yes, most red gems have either a secondary of orange, pink or even a little blue. I like Burmese rubies because as far as I'm concerned (and I could be wrong), in their finest quality, they are the reddest of red. They even have a touch of blue in them. When they fluoresce, they get even redder, so always ask about fluorescence on any red family gem. It's nice when they get more saturated in the sun.

If a person likes orangey red, then the spinel above is for them. I'm not a fan of orangey red, but many people are. I guess I'm guilty of trying to sway people to what I like :devil: , but in reality, it's what you love that matters most, and to know that you should be paying a fair price. :))

Yes ma'am that is true. Matter of fact, I took my spinel in today to have it set, the jeweler was quite amazed at it. After I told him what it was he seeing such a red spinel is a rarity. Most stores don't dabble in them, and lets be honest, red spinels ARE quite rare. Most people don't even know what the hell they are :lol: Mine IRL does have that small touch of blue to it, though my camera says otherwise :roll: But even with its issues, its not something most people will even see much of.

I think that on pricescope especially we do get to see material that others may not and also, we tend get into the nuances of color at a much higher level than the average person would. That is a blessing AND a curse because color change with lighting. they never stay the same. Its something we're always chasing after on this board.

I tend to not sway others to what I like because well..I'm weird and I like what I like. Plenty have seen some of the crazy stuff in my collection :shock: :lol: . But if someone else likes it then kewl! :mrgreen:

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I dropped into my jewelers today, and found out that my version of the Princess Diana bracelet is at the pearl stringers being strung. I should be able to pick it up next week and post some photos. Thanks to Sarahbear for the push to get my Dana aqua set.

Below is a photo I took a few weeks ago when it was not set yet and still in the formative stage. The aqua is just laying in the roughed out sterling setting and sitting on top of a strand of pearls that is folded over a couple of times.

Diana Bracelet Wrist Shot.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

With some help and enabling by the lovely Freke, I've begun my first ever colored stone project. I just purchased this pink BB tourmaline, 2.27cts, 8.2mm. It will be going into the Daniel M Sholdt-inspired setting. I'm so excited!!! Barry emailed a few minutes ago and said he'd be sending the stone to me on Monday or Tuesday, so I should have it by the end of next week!

t-7002g_1504_general.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Star sparkle, do you have any pics of the Daniel M- Sholdt inspired setting? I love Sholdt, and Daniel M does amazing work.

Your stone from Barry is beautiful-- hard to go wrong with a gem from Barry ;)) !

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

baby nurse, here are a couple taken from Daniel M's sold section. This lovely ring belongs to Frekechild. :wavey:

danmsholdt2.jpg

danmsholdt1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm having an 8 carat fancy colored diamond eternity band ring made in rose gold based on this design, but the shapes will not be all rounds, and the bezels will not have millgrain. A local jeweler is doing the work. The diamonds will be pinks, greens, yellows and champagnes.

TLfuturering.JPG

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock

TL That sounds beautiful. How long will it take for the work to be done?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Treenbean|1298689108|2859765 said:
TL That sounds beautiful. How long will it take for the work to be done?

He said four weeks, but who knows. It's a lot of labor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results