shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat parents, please convene again! Teeth cleaning is the subject today!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Reading more and more about the importance of oral hygiene for our furbabies and wondering what you guys do? (I think we have touched on this subject a little in the past, but in the true Cat Lovers/PS style, I thought it would be helpful to have one thread devoted to the subject.
9.gif
)

I bought a kitty toothbrush and toothpaste, plus one of those little rubber finger-tip cleaners for Boo''s teeth, and I am working on getting him used to it. He really doesn''t like it, but he is (in true Boo-style) trying hard to be a good sport about it!
30.gif

Anyway, here''s a link to a video presentation on teeth-brushing, plus an interesting "4 week plan" to implement it.

http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/brushing_teeth/index.shtml

And I just ran across this product -- what do we think of it for oral health? Anyone have any experience with it? Or opinions? THANK YOU!

http://www.oxyfresh.com/pet/

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Yeah... our cats would be having none of that. I know its good for them but its the one thing we can''t seem to ever do regularly. I think if Boo is being a good sport for it, and you can get into a habit, its a wonderful thing to do. Since we don''t do it I can''t help with products/techniques...sorry!

BTW, when do we get some updated pictures of Mr. Boo? He must be growing like a weed! I can''t wait to see what a handsome boy he''s turning into!
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a water additive we''ve been buying for the last 4 months or so. It''s supposed to help. Also there are teeth cleaning treats... they look like packing popcorn for boxes. And well, teeth cleanings at the vet.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
How much does a vet cleaning cost? I''d really rather not brush the little guys teeth....sharp!

I''ve heard the big chunks of raw meat both cleans their teeth and changed the Ph in their mouth so they don''t need as many cleanings, but I''ve got zero proof...sounds good though.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
We have our guys teeth cleaned at the vets on an as needed basis. It is expensive, but it depends on your vet and the age of the cat. We have a senior that requires extra care and testing. The dental hygiene has surely prolonged his life. I used to try the daily care...after a number of confrontations, I sadly gave up. My fault...I should have perserved. Our big guy is now too old for me to insist, IMO, and the younger girl will bite if you try
14.gif
I would try the oxyfresh and see how you do!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
If I had Omie as a kitten, I would have started then, but I seriously doubt she would let me clean her teeth. She only eats dry food, so her teeth tend to stay in good condition (at least, that is what her vet says). When my mom adopted her cat, the vet said that ther teeth were terrible, since her previous owner feed her people food. My mom fed her dry cat food for 2 months & took her back to the vet who said that her teeth were much improved and would not need a professional cleaning.

I do see the value of brushing your pet''s teeth though.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My Vet told me to just use a warm wet washcloth on their teeth and start when they were kittens. I had great intentions of keeping up on it but of course... Even as younger cats, I found trying to mess around in their mouths to be very difficult. So, now like someone else said, we do professional cleanings when necessary. It isn''t cheap, but it''s worth it.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither of mine will let me brush their teeth or anything like it!

I feed them dental treats (greenies) and supplement their water with Petkin''s Liquid Oral Care that is supposed to be good for their teeth. I get it at local pet supply stores. http://petkin.com/1-800-PETKIN-1/product_information.jsp?products_id=82

I also have the vet do a teeth cleaning every so often. Very important as they get older. Holly hasn''t had one yet but Chloe had one earlier this year (11 yo).

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Oh...and feed dry food, of course! Keeps of the teeth in better condition.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 2:26:59 PM
Author: risingsun
Some cats need wet food though (ie. those with urinary tract issues).... Chloe gets a mix of both.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the (as always!) excellent advice!

I know that there''s little better than professional teeth cleanings... but my worry is Boo''s heart murmur... the thoughts of him undergoing general anesthesia scares me to death! Especially for something that I *may be* able to prevent (plaque and tarter build-up). PLUS, for him, I feel like excellent oral care is especially important, given the link between oral health and heart health.

I have had conflicting opinions from several vets on the severity and prognosis of Boo''s heart murmur... and the last two said it was very, very minor and likely nothing to worry about. But my regular vet scared the *CRAP* out of me, and well... I just can''t stand the thoughts of taking any chances with his precious little life!

So, I think I will be able to stay very motivated to brush his teeth daily... so I''m not worried about that. And he gets "patienter and patienter"
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
with me every day while I do it. He still doesn''t *LIKE* it... and I''m still keeping the sessions very short, but he tolerates it, and doesn''t hold a grudge afterwards!

And oh... for AG
2.gif
... here''s a recent photo as requested - just taken yesterday! Isn''t he so handsome?!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

IMG_1951.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH, a question for those of you who put something in their water...

I change Boo's water several times a day (it's a bit of a compulsion I have... I can't stand to drink water that's been sitting around any length of time!
20.gif
9.gif
)... so I am assuming that a water-additive product would get awfully expensive and wasteful? Or do you just put it in the morning bowl of water, etc? Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

(PS, he's not wild about Greenies... drats! Does anyone have any suggestion for any other good-for-their-teeth treat that is better for them than McNuggets?!!!)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 3:27:39 PM
Author: Lynn B
OH, a question for those of you who put something in their water...

I change Boo''s water several times a day (it''s a bit of a compulsion I have... I can''t stand to drink water that''s been sitting around any length of time!
20.gif
9.gif
)... so I am assuming that a water-additive product would get awfully expensive and wasteful? Or do you just put it in the morning bowl of water, etc? Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

(PS, he''s not wild about Greenies... drats! Does anyone have any suggestion for any other good-for-their-teeth treat that is better for them than McNuggets?!!!)

If you don''t pour a quart of water every time you change the water then you won''t go thru the water additive that quickly - an 8 oz cup of water only takes half a capful of the stuff, as I recall. Also, if you have a fountain waterer that constantly circulates the water you could kill 2 birds with one stone - not change it so many times per day and also not waste the water additive.
1.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I think if you take a nice chunk of fresh raw chicken and then sear/blanch it to kill any bacteria, this is a good dental treat. If that squicks you I have also heard good things about cooked chicken pieces? I'm not convinced any food really cleans the teeth other than toothpaste! Even dry doesn't clean the teeth, it just doesn't hurt them as much as wet...

ETA: to be fair, I'm a bit of a no-dry-food Nazi with my cats, I personally have decided it's not good for them...totally understand others who don't agree though.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 5:34:21 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
ETA: to be fair, I''m a bit of a no-dry-food Nazi with my cats, I personally have decided it''s not good for them...totally understand others who don''t agree though.
I agree to a certain extent...I''m sure that the crap dry food I fed Chloe a decade ago had a good deal to do with her development of kidney stones. Some food out there is just CRAP.

A lot of it is also carbs which cats don''t need near to the extent they need sheer protein. I free feed with dry, but the cats get wet portions twice a day. The dry is more for the ''munchies'' if they have ''em.
2.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, since they are both male neuters I am especially paranoid about bladder issues and figure, why even start. While there are a few good dry foods in terms of protien level and lack of fillers, none of them address the water issue--and I have found that male alters just don't drink enough water to compensate for not getting it with their food.

Plus, being male and neutered, if I free feed with dry they WILL get fat. They can go for 8-10 hours overnight without food (meow that they are dying they might).

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 3:53:34 PM
Author: FireGoddess

If you don''t pour a quart of water every time you change the water then you won''t go thru the water additive that quickly - an 8 oz cup of water only takes half a capful of the stuff, as I recall. Also, if you have a fountain waterer that constantly circulates the water you could kill 2 birds with one stone - not change it so many times per day and also not waste the water additive.
1.gif
That''s a good point, FG... his bowls aren''t actually *HUGE*, so it probably wouldn''t be any big deal, afterall. Would you put it the additive in every refill of the water bowl, or just, say in the morning bowl of water?

Anyway... apparently there are different "water additives" out there... do we know if there are any major difference in how they are supposed to work? Or do you think they all ultimately work the same way? (And what exactly would that be?!)
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

THANK YOU!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Innova Evo is a high quality dry food without grains--high protein--for felines [and canines]. It was never recalled. Our male cat has had only one UTI in his long life and is doing well on his food.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 11:46:53 PM
Innova Evo is a high quality dry food without grains--high protein--for felines [and canines]. It was never recalled. Our male cat has had only one UTI in his long life and is doing well on his food.
I feed Boo a dry mix of regular Innova, EVO, Wellness and Felidae. Some plain yogurt once in awhile (he loves it!)... and I KNOW that my DH sneaks him chicken and fish sometimes!
2.gif

He seems like he''s a pretty good water drinker... which I am happy about.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Holy moley Lynn! That's quite the high-falutin' mix of kitty foods you've got there! Why the mix and not just one or two, out of curiosity?

Risingsun: I've heard good things about EVO dry as well. I wish they didn't feel the yuppie compulsion to add all sorts of trendy foods to it, like "dried chicory root", "alfalfa," etc, but oh well. I think I'm going to get a bag to keep on hand for emergencies/lazy days.

ETA: It also has garlic and tomatoes in it....huh. Must be in trace amounts, cause those are toxic to cats in large quantites....

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG Lynn - he''s HUGE!!! And SO GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I can''t believe that''s little tiny Boo! He looks so much like our Ollie - I swear they could be cousins or something, although I think Boo''s fur will probably stay lighter than Oliver''s has. Thank you so much for the updated picture - he really is such a handsome hunk of a kitty
31.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
Oliver also ADORES plain yogurt - he gets some off my fingers every morning, and has learned the sound of the container opening and so comes galloping in the kitchen (the only time he ever moves that fast haha!) to get "his" yogurt. He gets very indignant on the rare mornings when I have a different breakfast.

That is quite the mix of food but they are all good ones as far as I know.

RT makes an interesting point about the water content though - I''ll have to ask my vet about that next time we go in, since I know boy kitties are more prone to urinary tract issues.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Lynn - your boo is quite handsome and I love how you have captured him sitting on the throne (toilet seat). I have read that it is not a bad idea to feed your cat a variety of dry foods so that the cat does not become a picky eater.

I feed Omie Natural Balance (dry) it does have some of those "yuppie" ingredients rainbowtrout was speaking of, but it has been a very good food for her. I have also heard good things about Innova, EVO, Wellness and Felidae. In fact, my mom feeds her cat Felidae. Fortunately, Omie is a good drinker, so I do not have trouble with her getting enough water.

Omie also loves yogurt! I buy Stonyfield Farm yogurt and she can seem to smell it from a mile away when I am eating it!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 11:35:07 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
OMG Lynn - he's HUGE!!! And SO GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I can't believe that's little tiny Boo! He looks so much like our Ollie - I swear they could be cousins or something, although I think Boo's fur will probably stay lighter than Oliver's has. Thank you so much for the updated picture - he really is such a handsome hunk of a kitty
31.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
Oliver also ADORES plain yogurt - he gets some off my fingers every morning, and has learned the sound of the container opening and so comes galloping in the kitchen (the only time he ever moves that fast haha!) to get 'his' yogurt. He gets very indignant on the rare mornings when I have a different breakfast.

That is quite the mix of food but they are all good ones as far as I know.

RT makes an interesting point about the water content though - I'll have to ask my vet about that next time we go in, since I know boy kitties are more prone to urinary tract issues.
Awwwww, thanks!
1.gif
Boo says modestly, "Why, thank you so very much, Auntie AG!"
2.gif

We think he is soooo handsome... and yes -- getting quite HUGE... 8.5 pounds at not-quite-7-months old!
6.gif
I fully expect him to top 20 pounds eventually! Oh well, that's OK... just more to love... and more FUR for my (frequent!) fur-fixes!
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, regarding the mix of dry food I am feeding him...

Several reasons, I guess...

Nutrition, foremost. By mixing several foods, I'm hoping to cover more of Boo's nutritional needs... what may be "lacking" in one food is hopefully present in another one. I hope that by mixing what I believe to be 4 of the best dry foods out there, he is eating a very healthful diet.

Availability. I live in a small rural area and getting quality food for him is difficult... I either have to drive long distances or mail-order. And if he's only eating one food, and I run out (or my sources are out), then we could potentially be in quite a pickle! As it is now, even if I can't get one or two of the foods, he would still be fine. Also, heaven forbid, if one of the foods is recalled
23.gif
, we wouldn't have to find a totally new food; I'd just eliminate that one from the mix.

"Fussiness". Boo was starting to become a bit of a fussy eater... and I really don't want that. Mixing those four foods seems to be a good guard against that. Not foolproof, I know... but hopefully has to help!

I free feed, and he doesn't seem to overeat, no problems at all in the litter box, and he seems to really like the mix. And most of all, he seems to be very healthy and playful, and I love how bright and sparkly his eyes look. When he was younger (fresh from the breeder), his little eyes always looked a little "watery" or even somewhat "dull"
39.gif
... but I am so happy and proud to report that that is no longer the case, at all! His beautiful blue eyes now sparkle like bright blue diamonds!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2007 2:34:49 PM

Date: 8/20/2007 2:26:59 PM
Some cats need wet food though (ie. those with urinary tract issues).... Chloe gets a mix of both.
Exactly. My cats are on a pure wet food diet... NO KIBBLE... so that Lucy can drop a couple of pounds. The wet food is lower in calorie, says my vet.

The kitten is getting a mix of both, but he prefers wet to dry so I keep trying to get him to eat some kibble whereas Lucy WANTS to eat his kibble and I''m trying to keep her away from it!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly gets Wellness dry kitten kibble and Wellness canned, half a can twice a day. She still has some growing to do, though she has definitely put on weight since being a homed kitty.

Chloe gets Hills cd/multicare kibble and cd/multicare canned daily for her UTI issues. Sometimes as a treat I replace the cd wet with Wellness wet...since she likes that wayyyyyyy better.

Lynn, the only dental water additive I''ve seen is the Petkin brand, so I haven''t tried any others. Both kitties drink the water without complaint whatsoever. I don''t think they can tell it''s in there. I also put Bach''s rescue remedy in their water too.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot to mention something that I found interesting. When I was on vacation last week, I ran across an excellent pet supply store (with EVERY brand of food under the sun!), and I bought a bag of each: Innova, Innova EVO, Wellness and Felidae. At the register, the sales associate asked me, "Are you a vet?" I said, "No, why?" She said because of the particular selection of food I was buying... said she had done extensive personal research on cat nutrition and it was her opinion that these were (by far) the single "best (dry) foods" out there... not the "most advertised", not the most "popular"... but definitely four of the best choices... which is apparently why she thought I was a vet, versus just an "average consumer".

Well, I certainly hope she's right... for Boo's sake!

BabyBlues.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 2:23:17 PM
Lynn, the only dental water additive I''ve seen is the Petkin brand, so I haven''t tried any others. Both kitties drink the water without complaint whatsoever. I don''t think they can tell it''s in there. I also put Bach''s rescue remedy in their water too.
Hi FG,

Thanks! I am definitely going to try the Petkin dental additive.

What is the "Bach''s rescue remedy" for? Thank you!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn he's so gorgeous! Look at those eyes and those face markings. SO GORGE!!!

The rescue remedy is to alleve any 'stress' the kitties feel. The behaviorist said that if either is really stressed, you can rub it on their ears or pawpads for instant effects. Otherwise, as a water additive it's a homeopathic, soothing kinda thing. http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/bach.htm I do it regularly for Chloe, but Holly doesn't really need it so much.

I forgot to add pics last time!! Holly girl is growing fast! I love when she bunny kicks. But only on her toys, not my ankle.
2.gif

hollyaug12.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh FG - look at how GORGEOUS and grown up Miss Holly is getting!!!! She looks amazing - so sleek and healthy and happy, and such a beautiful girl
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Lynn, other than the ears (Boo's are much smaller, which I think is more "correct" for Ragdolls), I swear they could be related, don't you think:

ETA: I think their sizes are pretty similar as well. I don't know what Ollie was at that age, but by 10.5 months he was about 12.5-13 lbs. We still think he'll top 20 as well. I agree about more fur to love - I can't get enough of that luscious bunny-rabbit soft fur!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I need to upload some new pictures too - we finally got a furminator, and even though we only did it for a few minutes last night we got what looked like a whole other cat off!!
6.gif
23.gif

Ollieeartucked1234.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results