shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat Lovers - I need your advice and expertise one more time, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, it looks like my daughter may be allergic to her adorable new Ragdoll kitty, Boo.
39.gif
7.gif
8.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cat-owners-anyone-with-any-experience-with-heart-murmurs.62301/

She's had him for over a month now and in that month she has had severe exacerbation of her eczema, plus some usual allergy symptoms (although the skin issues are, by far, the biggest problem). She was becoming 100% (physically) miserable. So Boo is living with DH and me (temporarily) to see if her symptoms improve, which they are. Remarkably so, in fact, for it not even being a week. She plans to wait a little longer and then take him back to her home again and see what happens... but I have a feeling that DH and I will be permanently "raising our grandkitty".

So the allergy thing is one question... does anyone have any experience with (serious) SKIN ISSUES being a primary symptom of a cat allergy?

But my MAIN question is this... as most of you know, we already have a cat, Buster (one year old) who we adore. Well, now that Boo is living with us, the cats have become so devoted to one another (playing together, sleeping together), that NEITHER ONE of them has much time for us mere mortals! Although I'm so happy they get along, I'm EXTREMELY BUMMED about this because neither of them now is sleeping with us, cuddling us, or really paying us much mind at all (unless the food bowl needs filled!). Is this just the WAY OF THINGS with a two-cat household; or is there something we can do to keep these cats interested in (and affectionate to) DH and me??!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
HELP!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen friends where it manifested that way, yes. And if they take a break from the cat it usually gets worse bc any resistacne is gone.

Has she had a scratch test done/is she allergic to other cats?

RE: 2-cat household. They''ll grow out of it, but they''ll still love each other and spend a ton of time together. Plus, if they''re anything like mine, your ankles and hands won''t get *nearly* as nibbled on now.

A 2-cat tip I found out---taking them to the vet together helps a lot, and keeping them in the same cage there if they are going for more than 1 night. We had a Tonk and a Maine Coon (both strays) once, and when we put them in different cages, the Tonk opened his, and then started opening other cat''s cages until he got to the Coon''s. Saved them a lot of distress to put them in 1 carrier and one cage.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww...I would be hurt, too! But I think they''ll probably get over being joined at the hip once the novelty wears off and start hanging out with you again! I have 3 cats and I still get snuggles from all 3 of them. I think cats just go through stages, and mine will go through snuggly stages and not snuggly stages. Sometimes when they''re not that snuggly, I still scoop them up and hug them for as long as they''ll let me, though!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cats did that a while when they were first friends... but eventually their solitary natures took over and thier love of rubs and humna affections rebounded 2 fold. Just call for them when the are near, reward them with treats occasionally when they come and give them lots of rubs when they are near. It''ll get better.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lynn - I''m so sorry to hear about your daughter''s allergies. That sounds really dreadful for her.

Its wonderful that you guys are willing to give Boo a loving home. I wouldn''t worry about the bonding thing - they should get over the novelty of having a kitty companion pretty quickly, especially as Boo grows older (our girls were super snuggly with each other when they were younger and now they can''t be bothered), and I''m sure, as Gypsy said, they will remember how much they adore human attention (especially since they were both social, friendly kitties before). I''ll keep my fingers crossed that treatment options help your daughter, but if not, its wonderful that you are taking him into your home.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
That is awfully disappointing for your daughter -- and for you! I still have a single kitty, in part because my urge to save abandoned kitties is tempered by my deep-seated fear that this exact thing will result. It is sortof pathetic that I am so desperate for my cat's attention that I deny her other feline company. But I would be devastated if this happened.
So, I have no advice, just sympathizing, because this is a major hangup for me. I do hope that the kitty 'honeymoon' wears off and that both of your furrballs give you plenty of feline-human lovin'.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 6:04:31 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
...I still have a single kitty, in part because my urge to save abandoned kitties is tempered by my deep-seated fear that this exact thing will result. It is sortof pathetic that I am so desperate for my cat''s attention that I deny her other feline company...
I know, I know! It''s TERRIBLE, isn''t it?! I feel so... unfit!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just an update...

DD really missed having a pet, she doesn't seem allergic to Buster (go figure?!) and she loves him dearly (and the feeling is quite mutual!), so she has taken him to live with her and her new DH at their new house. And we (my DH and me) are keeping Boo. We miss Buster, of course, but we see him often, as we get the cats together frequently to keep up their "relationship"
1.gif
. I really wasn't too awfully crazy about having two cats, anyway... plus there was no guarantee that *another* (third) cat wouldn't set off her allergies... so it seemed like the best resolution for everyone involved.

It's all rather ironic, though... because when DD was getting married, she asked to take Buster with her to her new home
23.gif
and DH and I just couldn't bear to give him up... so that's why we bought her Boo. So I guess we've come full circle!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
musical kitties
25.gif

Great everything worked out!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad it worked out Lynn!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Glad that worked out Lynn - it sounds like both of them have loving, happy homes, which is just as it should be, and everyone gets kitty companionship
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I can''t wait to see more pictures of Boo as he grows up - we should start a Ragdoll pictures thread so we can share how they grow! (I''m such a nerd...
3.gif
)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My son and I were cuddling the Ragdolls at the local pet emporium (they had just arrvied from a local breeder)....WHAT SWEETIES! I wanted theml!!! Their coats were SO soft and fuzzy--like feathers or a chinchilla.

cheers--Sharon

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 9:34:12 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Glad that worked out Lynn - it sounds like both of them have loving, happy homes, which is just as it should be, and everyone gets kitty companionship
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I can''t wait to see more pictures of Boo as he grows up - we should start a Ragdoll pictures thread so we can share how they grow! (I''m such a nerd...
3.gif
)

Oh you just wait for it, there will be Chen/MC pictures when I get home, oh yessir. I actually have more MC pics now but I am waiting to spam you again until I have he and Chen together!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh RT - I can''t WAIT to see pictures of Chen and MT together. Seriously, what could be cuter?!?!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I deifnitely think a Ragdoll picture thread (including pictures of Ragdolls with other kitties) is in order!! I know Lynn has her sweet Boo and Miranda has a gorgeous flame-point boy named Leo - there must be others!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results