shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide! Need PS poll - Sapphire Ring.

What do you think I should do?

• Go with the Jeff White

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adams828

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys - appreciate it as I am new to this all! Is it correct that appraisal of such gems should be done prior to setting? Or can it be done either way?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appraisal are always more accurate with an unset stone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 9:01:08 AM
Author: Chrono
Appraisal are always more accurate with an unset stone.

ditto Chrono - although I don''t really find the practice (personally) of appraising befotre and after setting practical for stones less than. Other may disagree of course.

And btw C, just an "interesting" tid bit on my search for a decent appraiser here - I contacted a woman who I''ve been happy with in the past.
She said it would include the very basics, pretty much like whats in an AGL card..

I asked, if she sent it to one of the Aust labs in the east for a full report, would that also include origin.
She said - impossible. No one lists origins of stones except maybe emeralds.
20.gif

I started to mention the GIA origin report...but didn''t bother..

*sigh*..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s the use of the appraisal if she’s not going to do anything beyond copying what’s in the brief? What would she do then if you don’t have a brief? With so little information provided, it’ll be difficult to have the stone insured for its true replacement value, not to mention what on earth the insurance will consider a comparable replacement!
32.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 10:30:48 AM
What’s the use of the appraisal if she’s not going to do anything beyond copying what’s in the brief? What would she do then if you don’t have a brief? With so little information provided, it’ll be difficult to have the stone insured for its true replacement value, not to mention what on earth the insurance will consider a comparable replacement!
32.gif

Hey again C,
oh no sorry if I misspoke - what I meant was, as a comparison, her appraisal would be pretty much the equivalent of what you get on those lab "credit cards".

Yup, now you know the kind of headaches I go through re. insurance for my jewellery, lol..(and bench people, appraisers..etc).
Most of them simply can''t wrap their heads around "why would you buy a ring from O/S?"..
20.gif

I asked that woman to email me an example of one of her coloured gem appraisals - hasn''t come through.

ok, that''s my whinge for today, lol!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, got it now. An equivalent report is fine although one would also hope to get more information like the % of brilliance, purity of hue, colour & tone, etc detailing the stone for a potential accurate replacement. You’re on the right track to see an example of the appraisal to be sure it has the information you can expect to receive.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 7:44:05 AM
OK, got it now. An equivalent report is fine although one would also hope to get more information like the % of brilliance, purity of hue, colour & tone, etc detailing the stone for a potential accurate replacement. You’re on the right track to see an example of the appraisal to be sure it has the information you can expect to receive.

ya exactly, I was hoping she would mention more in depth details like that.
Who knows, maybe I caught her at an inconvenient time - still haven''t gotten the email, so I''ll chase up and see what happens.

C, should one expect an appraiser to be able to determine origin? (of course I already know/trust Jeff that mine is from Ceylon) - just thought it a fun to have on record).

cheers matey for your advice, as always!
5.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey girly, I just read in another thread where you got turned down for a quote?? (admittedly haven't been following this one)

lmao WoW, that's all I can say.... Well that, and there are so many other options for a pretty ring. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 9:38:40 AM
Author: Ellen
Hey girly, I just read in another thread where you got turned down for a quote?? (admittedly haven''t been following this one)

lmao WoW, that''s all I can say.... Well that, and there are so many other options for a pretty ring. Can''t wait to see what you end up with.
2.gif

Hey ellen hon,
thanks for chiming in. Yeah, it really boggles the mind.
TBH, even despite all the horror stories I''ve learned on here, and the fact I''ve always been in the *never go there* camp re LM - when I saw that ring, I knew it was the one for me, no doubt.
So I asked for a quote.
(maybe wishfully thinking), I thought perhaps I would be in that camp where I could work well with him.
well...no.
20.gif

I got the "send me the stone then we can talk" line. I explained the time and expense challenges of Int. shipping & insurance back and forth, without knowing what to expect. That this was a special stone I was having custom selected and cut.

I got told, I have had at least 3 quotes from Mr M, and quoting more is wasting his time..(I checked, it''s one quote for the basic solitaire, way back when I joined PS).

He offered to send the old quotes so I could guess-timate the pricing, I said yes please, even though I thought it rather fruitless.
I have not had a response. I''m not surprised.

Anyway, it doesn''t matter, as I found BGD have made this equally lovely (and very similar design) sapphire ring for pierreone.
I guess I will remain in the *never* camp when it comes to LM, hey.
2.gif

[***pierreone, I sincerely hope you don''t mind me re using your pics - pls do say so if you do at all!]

p1_hand_purple_1 aj.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 10:00:15 AM
Author: arjunajane

Hey ellen hon,
thanks for chiming in. Yeah, it really boggles the mind.
TBH, even despite all the horror stories I''ve learned on here, and the fact I''ve always been in the *never go there* camp re LM - when I saw that ring, I knew it was the one for me, no doubt.
So I asked for a quote.
(maybe wishfully thinking), I thought perhaps I would be in that camp where I could work well with him.
well...no.
20.gif

I got the ''send me the stone then we can talk'' line. I explained the time and expense challenges of Int. shipping & insurance back and forth, without knowing what to expect. That this was a special stone I was having custom selected and cut.

I got told, I have had at least 3 quotes from Mr M, and quoting more is wasting his time..(I checked, it''s one quote for the basic solitaire, way back when I joined PS).

He offered to send the old quotes so I could guess-timate the pricing, I said yes please, even though I thought it rather fruitless.
I have not had a response. I''m not surprised.

Anyway, it doesn''t matter, as I found BGD have made this equally lovely (and very similar design) sapphire ring for pierreone.
I guess I will remain in the *never* camp when it comes to LM, hey.
2.gif

[***pierreone, I sincerely hope you don''t mind me re using your pics - pls do say so if you do at all!]
Me either really.

Yes, pierrone''s thread is where I saw your remark. And yes, it''s a really lovely ring. BGD are just one of the many other options I was referring to. They would make you a splendid setting for sure. And treat you right in the process. Bonus! (?)
9.gif
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ms Ellen - I agree,
it may not be to others, but service/the experience and feeling (at least slightly) secure are important to me with something of this value
5.gif

Frankly, I wouldn''t feel comfortable just shipping my gem off to LM, after that exchange.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,
If I’m not mistaken, the appraiser should be able to determine the probability of the stone coming from a specific origin based on certain tell tale signs. I recall reading something to that effect from Richard Sherwood, who is among the best in that business, IMHO.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you are giving up on your trap sides, Arj. I am thinking about a very small halo - I do like the way the teeny diamonds set off the colour of the sapphire. Have you seen any halo designs that appeal to you?
Sorry about the LM attitude thing. Sure he does beautiful designs, but he is NOT the only good craftsman around.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 11:11:07 AM
AJ,

If I’m not mistaken, the appraiser should be able to determine the probability of the stone coming from a specific origin based on certain tell tale signs. I recall reading something to that effect from Richard Sherwood, who is among the best in that business, IMHO.

Thanks C,
that''s what I had read too, just wanted to get a second opinion that I wasn''t imagining it.
I understand it''s really only possible with sapphire, ruby and emerald usually (and I believe sometimes tourmaline now too).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 11:15:58 AM
Author: Spirit
Sounds like you are giving up on your trap sides, Arj. I am thinking about a very small halo - I do like the way the teeny diamonds set off the colour of the sapphire. Have you seen any halo designs that appeal to you?

Sorry about the LM attitude thing. Sure he does beautiful designs, but he is NOT the only good craftsman around.

Hey Spirit,
Oh no, I''m not giving up on trap sides at all. They would just be in the top of the channel instead of in a 3 stone.
5.gif

TBH, I''ve never been a big halo fan, as I know that style would be too much for me to wear. For the most part, I dress very casually 99% of the time, and I don''t think I could "pull off" a halo.
I love admiring photos of them done well, and I agree the combo with sapphs is great.

Thanks about the LM thing.
1.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be a beautiful ring. I had some dealing with Lesley at BGD when i was getting the earring for my daughter''s birthday and she was so amazingly helpful. I love LM works and probably would have him do something because I think he work is very reasonably priced. I am not a control freak so I would let him do what he would after showing him what I wanted. But your ring is lovely and BGD will do an amazing job

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 12:13:56 AM
Author: katebar
This is going to be a beautiful ring. I had some dealing with Lesley at BGD when i was getting the earring for my daughter''s birthday and she was so amazingly helpful. I love LM works and probably would have him do something because I think he work is very reasonably priced. I am not a control freak so I would let him do what he would after showing him what I wanted. But your ring is lovely and BGD will do an amazing job

Hi Kate,

Thankyou. Yes I have spoken at length to Brian now and I am very confident in their ability to create this ring.
I am not a control freak either, but simply can''t deal with the "unknown''s" of the way LM does business - especially when it''s just copying an existing design of his, nothing original.

We have since spoken on the phone and everything is fine. He gave me an estimated quote.

But BGD will more than likely be the way for me - working long distance, I just feel more secure.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I thought considering how much help CS'ers gave me in this thread it deserved an update..

My Jeff White cushion sapphire should be ready for a photo shoot by mid next week..
I think I am honestly about to burst!!
36.gif
9.gif
36.gif

Seriously, it is odd - I have never anticipated *any" gem or jewellery purchase as much as this sapphire, even I believe with my new engagement diamonds.
Perhaps it's because of the extended wait / the anticipation?

Either way, the suspense is killing me, lol!

I was actually really never much of a sapphire person, until I saw Jeff White's ones on this board. So it is somewhat of a big thing to know I will soon own one.
So, cross your fingers for me those who know how I feel, that I wake up one day soon to a lovely email full of sapphire photos from JW.
5.gif
35.gif

It will be going into a custom platinum and diamond ring to be created by BGD, which is also extremely exciting in itself. The design is all sorted out (hint: it is not the one above
9.gif
)... we are just waiting on the stone then everything will be go
5.gif

I am very much looking forward to the process of working further with Lesley and Brian on this project.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Hi my gem-twin!
I may have my saph by the end of next week!
Looks like JW has been very busy for PSers this week!
I cannot even imagine how this will look in person. Also cannot believe my ( our) turn has finally come!
Good luck to you! Looking forward to some exciting chats very soon!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 11:40:48 PM
Author: Spirit
Hi my gem-twin!

I may have my saph by the end of next week!

Looks like JW has been very busy for PSers this week!

I cannot even imagine how this will look in person. Also cannot believe my ( our) turn has finally come!

Good luck to you! Looking forward to some exciting chats very soon!

Hey spirit,
ha ha yes I think we ordered the same thing just at the same time!

I know, I am literally on tenderhooks waiting for "the" email, lol..

Please excuse me if you''ve already mentioned it, but did you have a setting plan yet spirit?

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
yay! how exciting AJ!!! Can''t wait to see your sapphire and how you are planning on setting it!
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 4:56:27 AM
Author: bling addict
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
yay! how exciting AJ!!! Can't wait to see your sapphire and how you are planning on setting it!
36.gif
36.gif

Hi BA,
thankyou hon!
I can't wait to see it either, and I'm really excited about the setting.

Unfortunately, I did try again to do this with K&B - but they haven't gotten back to me with a quote after like a week and half... Tim promised a call yesterday, but nope..
I dunno, maybe they just don't want my business? lol..
7.gif

Anyways, considering the strength of the $ I figured going US again would be good.
It would just be nice to finally develop a r'ship with an AU jeweller at some stage is all!

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
oh AJ that''s no good about K & B
7.gif
but yeah the AUD is doing good against the USD
36.gif
36.gif
I''ve also decided to try BGD this time too with my tourmaline as I''m not sure exactly what I want to do with it....in fact it should get there any day now
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 7:00:23 AM
7.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''ve also decided to try BGD this time too with my tourmaline as I''m not sure exactly what I want to do with it....in fact it should get there any day now
36.gif
36.gif

Yeah, I just can''t figure them out tbh! Both times, I have been more than keen to commit and go forward with them, but its been very hard to get any communication/details out of them.
Maybe I''m speaking to the wrong person? (Tim?) Do you think you could pls ask who your DH deals with there?
I mean, last time I sent my garnet over and all - but then the fires happened. This time - not sure what the hold up is! Ah well, I''m more than happy to be working with BGD.

Oohh, is this the BB oval that you''ve sent to BG? How bloomin exciting! Have you come to any design decisions at all yet hon? Or are you looking to BG for inspiration?
That will be an awesome project
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 7:00:23 AM
7.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I''ve posted in your other thread
5.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AJ
Just asked DH about his dealings with K & B, he says he never hears back by email, something up with their email system -- they receive emails ok (so not sure what that is about), but he has had no trouble by phone (he has phoned them, and they have phoned him).

Sorry, it''s a bit strange you haven''t had success with them.

7.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 8:48:38 AM
Hi AJ

Just asked DH about his dealings with K & B, he says he never hears back by email, something up with their email system -- they receive emails ok (so not sure what that is about), but he has had no trouble by phone (he has phoned them, and they have phoned him).

Sorry, it''s a bit strange you haven''t had success with them.

7.gif

Thankyou BA for asking him - yep, I figured out they didn''t like email early on
2.gif

But I did follow up with a call, and was promised a call with a quote the next day.
7.gif

Don''t be silly, no need for you to say sorry!
I am just a lil disappointed is all, I agree its just a bit odd. But who knows what''s the deal..
33.gif
He did say they had been crazy busy..
It''s just a shame, because if their quote had been comparable to BGD I more than likely would''ve liked to have used them for this - so it''s not like I am a "tyre-kicker" or anything!

BTW, just on the topic of AU jewellers - I was intending to tell you - I bought a jewellery magazine and sent out quote requests for my sapphire ring to about 6 or 7 different east coast manufacturing jewellers who looked like they did good quality work.
and...Wow! The difference in both communication and prices was crazy!
40.gif

Some of the bigger names and "prestigious" houses didn''t even bother replying, which is disappointing.

Berjani had amazing communication and really nice work too - but their quote was also almost triple the average of the others
40.gif

There were a bunch more I had dealings with - (can you tell I really tried to bring this project to a local first?! lol)..
in general they were at least 20-30% more expensive than US quotes (including from LM) - some were more than double as much.
14.gif

I just thought I''d mention it, as now I think I have quite a good feel for almost 10 E/States custom jewellers, their capabilities/pricing/service levels etc..so basically feel free to ask me if ever need be
35.gif

(However, you''ve got a good thing going with K&B anyways, ha ha)...

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
ARj- no problem asking about the setting. I really only have a vague idea in mind so have decided to wait until I see the actual stone. I have never had that shape before so this is all new to me. I still like the traps for sure- but step cut or brilliant? I want the steps cuts to work so much. Still searching the web for more photos of finished rings but haven''t found " thee one" yet.
Patience. Reminding myself.
Exciting to hear you changed your setting plan! Hope it combines all the features you enjoy. Did they offer you a suggestion that you hadn''t thought of on your own?

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
sorry AJ forgot to say that DH does speak w Tim

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heeeyyy..you''ve got a different plan for you sapphire??? Are you going to tease and make us wait until the very end??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results