shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t decide! Need PS poll - Sapphire Ring.

What do you think I should do?

• Go with the Jeff White

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 1:07:47 PM
Author: ma re
After reading for like half an hour, let me see if I got it right. If you get a cushion, you''ll do the first design, and if you get an oval, you''ll do the second one? Well, which of the two designs would you rather have? Which would you wear more? Also, note that the ring in LM photo has an octagon cut stone (some sort of a scissor cut, I''d say), so doing the same design with an elongated cushion might not result with the same effect. Also, try to check (if possible), what is the size of the center stone in that photo - seems to me like it''s at least 8 mm, and doing the same design with a 6.5 or 7 mm stone, wouldn''t result in the same proportions.

Both designs are lovely, but they''re quite different from eachother. While the first one is more dressy and with a contemporary feel, the 2nd one is more inspired by ancient arts, and might even be more suitable for casual wear.

If I misunderstood something, just say the word
2.gif

ha ha, oh ma re! Sorry if I confused you.
Yes, if I get a larger cushion, I will do the diamond 3 stone (with changes).
If I got the smaller oval, my intention was to bezel it to offset the size.

You''re spot on - I''d rather have the diamond 3 stone, and I''d rather have a larger stone, hence my decision. I guess it seemed kinda obvious, but this is why I need to ask you folks sometimes!
2.gif

That 3 stone ring (well, 5 stone), is just a "concept" - it is only intended to show I want step cut traps, a sapphire centre, and similar proportions centre stone to diamond-wise.
I won''t be having LM make the ring, and the end result will likely be completely different.
To start with, I will have a thicker shank in high kt YG, likely with only plat in the head. I may also bezel set the side stones..
Anyways..those details I will consult you later
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cind - thanks for your info. "my" sapph will only be a smidge bigger than yours - but I guess it's true that smidge makes quite a difference in gems.

LTP, very well put, thankyou! (and Kismet!).

Hey Tgal, thanks for the vote. Looked like we voted the same way
2.gif
Cheers also for the compliment, very kind.
1.gif

hey CCN - speaking of which, your sapph is one of my faves! I just love the violets it exhibits - and of course the elongated cushion shape!
I don't know how, but I forgot about this other awesome JW tourm - I have asked him to let me know which of the three cuts will bring the best out of my stone, and I'm confident he will get it right.
5.gif

cushion tourm JW AJ.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 1:47:35 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I haven''t read through this thread and have come a bit late so you may already have made up your mind. For what it''s worth:-

1. I would definitely go for the cc saphire from Gary. Not only are they highly sought after but one that has great clarity and a very distinct colour change is prized. Also, you get two looks for the price of one!

2. You can always find a blue sapphire.

3. If you do go for the cc sapphire, the one thing I wouldn''t do is bezel set it. I would want light to enter that baby at every opportunity to maximise the colour change.

4. I would definitely suggest you get Gary''s stone for a look. Some people fall in love with colour changers, while others don''t like one of the colour ways. This is very important and so I would never buy one ''sight unseen''. If you can see it on approval, or be able to return if you don''t like it, that would be an important consideration for me.

I understand your concern about size. However, if you save your gorgeous trap side design for another ring later, you could come up with a wonderful creation for Gary''s beauty to make it appear bigger - diamond halo, large white sapphire sides etc etc

Good luck choosing.

Hi LD
Thankyou for giving your thorough explanation of why you''d choose the Gary B, I appreciated it.
You made all good points, and many of which were the reasons I was hanging on to the idea of this stone to start with.

In the end though, I''m not a person that is particularly enamored with colour-changers (at least for now)
2.gif
. So even though I liked the idea of owning something rare at a great price, it still wasn''t exactly what I wanted, yanno?

I guess I should''ve seen it in person, but since I had Jeff on the job, I would''ve felt bad about having Gary send it all the way to Aus if I was only 50/50 to start with..plus it would''ve been expensive.

I would loved to have been able to get both, but I really wanted to get the one sapphire, and do it right the first time. I won''t buy another for a long time.
I knew what I wanted, and I was just fortunate Jeff had exactly the right candidate. After reading how people can wait months for Jeff (or others) to find them a sapph, I thought it too good an opp. to pass up.

Thankyou for your thoughts! I know you like CC stones, so I can see where you''re coming from.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 3:12:40 PM
Author: Tropicmaster
AJ,

I dug around and found one of jeffs pics so that you can compare his pic to my IRL pics. Maybe this will give you insight into how much his pic will vary from what you will see. You already have plenty of my pics to compare to.

ETA- geez I just realised that this pic is only one off the one in my avatar! lol Maybe this full sized one will help.

Hey again Tropic,
Thanks heaps for your input on my other thread and here, I appreciate it.
Ha ha, yep I have that pic! You are right, it is reasonably different from your home ones.

Thanks for the new pic - yours is my ideal colour, it''s very beautiful!

Jeff thinks mine will turn out very close to yours, just a tad darker/more blue.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 5:30:02 PM
Author: Spirit
Hi Arj,

We have just started this project. Deposit has been sent. Jeff is in the process of coming up with his re-cut plan. I have been waiting many months for the right stone; that''s why I say '' have patience''. I think he said he is working on a 3-4 week wait time. The actual cutting only takes a few days once it''s your turn. Are you in a rush for a special occasion?

( BTW- didn''t you deal with Jon at GOG for your diamond?)

Have you come closer to making your decision?

Thanks spirit for the info!
Yes, I have, and Jeff it is.

ha ha, I''m always in a rush once I decide on a project
2.gif
But yes, it is to commemorate something special.

And yep, my avatar (ering diamond) is a GOG OMC - my first love
30.gif
(ok, second after my Fi, he he)..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 6:48:53 PM
Author: risingsun
AJ~Here is the thread for my sapphire. I only posted a couple of pics and they are the first few photos on the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sapphire-recut-and-reset.124553/

My personal preference for the shape of a sapphire is an oval or cushion. I'm in the process of having a stone custom cut and we're going for a 'cushiony' oval shape
2.gif

Thanks Marian, of course, sorry I have seen that lovely ring.
Do you mind to share the mm's of your stone?

That's def. my preference too - how exciting that you're having a new gem cut
36.gif
Please share the details when you're ready!

Hi part gypsy, cheers for the input. Good point, and that's what helped with my decision.

Hey there BA ! Yep, agreed. I can only do this once (well, for now anyway
2.gif
), so decided to do it "just right".
Although, I probably shouldn't be posting like this until my stone is ready, as I'm getting all excited - I know only too well that problems can arise; Gene was originally cutting me an Umba sapphire the other week, and the rough cracked
32.gif
So it was no more stone for me
7.gif

I feel fortunate that Jeff has the right material for me, but I'm trying to not get too gee-d up before it's complete.
2.gif

Hi packrat - that's ok, I still like your vote
5.gif
Thanks hon, I'm excited too.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just incase anyone was interested, the final vote was
Jeff W 36
Gary B 9

80 vs 20%

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi AJ again!

I just read your reply on the other (Tropicmaster) thread...

I think with an 80/20 split on the voting, and the size desire you have, made it fairly easy to decide. Just one look at Jeff''s work eases the way too! The tourmaline you posted, which I''m sure many of us have seen many times, is exquisite - the colour is stunning, not to mention the cut. Perfection.

I bet your excited about this project, I''m wishing you the very best for it all, and I am certain you will get a stunning stone!

1.gif

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Hi again Arj
My diamond too is from Jon and we enjoyed our experience dealing with him so much. That is how we feel now about Jeff. Same passion about his work and pleasant nature to deal with. No pressure. Good luck with your adventure and hope you will post as soon as you are ready !!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 6:19:32 AM
Author: arjunajane

AJ~Here is the thread for my sapphire. I only posted a couple of pics and they are the first few photos on the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sapphire-recut-and-reset.124553/

My personal preference for the shape of a sapphire is an oval or cushion. I'm in the process of having a stone custom cut and we're going for a 'cushiony' oval shape
2.gif

36.gif
I'll try to measure the stone. If I can't, I'll ask my jeweler to do it. It is certainly smaller than a diamond of the same ct. size, which is why I voted that you choose the larger sapphire. I hope to be posting news on my custom cut stone soon. I think I'd better check with the Gene
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 6:51:54 AM
Author: pwendyp
hi AJ again!

I just read your reply on the other (Tropicmaster) thread...

I think with an 80/20 split on the voting, and the size desire you have, made it fairly easy to decide. Just one look at Jeff''s work eases the way too! The tourmaline you posted, which I''m sure many of us have seen many times, is exquisite - the colour is stunning, not to mention the cut. Perfection.

I bet your excited about this project, I''m wishing you the very best for it all, and I am certain you will get a stunning stone!

1.gif

Hey again wendy,

Yes, once all the details were laid out, the decision became quite obvious - but sometimes you can''t see the sapphire through the trees, lol
2.gif

Thankyou for your well wishes, I''m hoping I will too.
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 11:05:04 AM
Hi again Arj

My diamond too is from Jon and we enjoyed our experience dealing with him so much. That is how we feel now about Jeff. Same passion about his work and pleasant nature to deal with. No pressure. Good luck with your adventure and hope you will post as soon as you are ready !!!

ha ha, too cool spirit - we will both have GOG diamonds and JW sapphires!

I agree with you on the comparison of Jon's dedication to Jeff's - he comes across as extremely knowledgeable and "on the ball" and is also a great listener.

Even though I knew next to nothing about sapphs coming into this, he was able to get just the right rough candidate based on some layman-terms emails and a couple photos from me
9.gif

Working with him has been quite intuitive, similar to how I work with Jon these days - often Jon knows what I'm going to ask before I do it, lol..
5.gif

Do you mind to share what kind of size/shape you are getting from Jeff? I'd love to hear if you're happy to share.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 11:46:49 AM

My personal preference for the shape of a sapphire is an oval or cushion. I''m in the process of having a stone custom cut and we''re going for a ''cushiony'' oval shape
2.gif

Do you mind to share the mm''s of your stone?

That''s def. my preference too - how exciting that you''re having a new gem cut

36.gif
Please share the details when you''re ready!
I''ll try to measure the stone. If I can''t, I''ll ask my jeweler to do it. It is certainly smaller than a diamond of the same ct. size, which is why I voted that you choose the larger sapphire. I hope to be posting news on my custom cut stone soon. I think I''d better check with the Gene
1.gif

Hi Marian,
oh that''s okay, don''t go to too much trouble on the mm - I just thought I''d see if you knew them off hand.

that''s awesome that you''re getting a Gene sapph - will it be another blue?
As I mentioned, Gene was my first port of call, but unfortunately the first rough (which was perfect for my shape/size/colour), didn''t work out.
7.gif

I''m sure yours will be gorgeous, can''t wait to see!
36.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ I''m so happy you''ve made a choice and feel that it''s the right one. As you say, sometimes having it all laid out in front out you really helps the decision making doesn''t it? I''m sure the Jeff stone will be stunning and can''t wait to see the finished project. Are you still going with trap sides? I adore the design you posted earlier - classy and modern. Yumalicious!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Arj- twins by different mothers but same fathers!
haha!
Hopefully mine will also be a cushion cut, medium/lighter blue, around the 3 ct mark. I also plan for a 3 stone setting with traps as siides! Just debating between step cuts which I prefer, or brilliant cuts which may match up better. I will have to wait and see how the whole thing turns out after it is cut. What is your preference for the traps?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 11:04:44 PM
Arj- twins by different mothers but same fathers!

haha!

Hopefully mine will also be a cushion cut, medium/lighter blue, around the 3 ct mark. I also plan for a 3 stone setting with traps as siides! Just debating between step cuts which I prefer, or brilliant cuts which may match up better. I will have to wait and see how the whole thing turns out after it is cut. What is your preference for the traps?

Really? ha ha it must be - my intercontinental jewellery twin!
36.gif

I can''t believe your going for a medlium/light cushion and side traps too, that so cool. Who would you like to make the ring?

Also, do you mind to tell which cushion design you have chosen - is it the one I posted earlier in this thread, or something different? You don''t have to tell if you don''t want.
I wish I could have a 3ct, lucky girl!
30.gif

No doubt, I want my step cut traps like Erica''s beauty (hope you don''t mind E!)..
But like you said, will have to figure out what will work best once the sapph''s cut.

erica ring side1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 6:02:59 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
AJ I''m so happy you''ve made a choice and feel that it''s the right one. As you say, sometimes having it all laid out in front out you really helps the decision making doesn''t it? I''m sure the Jeff stone will be stunning and can''t wait to see the finished project. Are you still going with trap sides? I adore the design you posted earlier - classy and modern. Yumalicious!

Thanks LD, that''s very kind.
I will have to wait and see what works with the stone, but the traps were my first thought..
most likely I will do something along the lines of Matata''s wonderful new BGD and OMC creation, with some vintage details and side diamonds.

But quite a bit different, of course
2.gif

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
"Which cushion design "- do you mean what cutting style? I am leaving that in Jeff''s capable hands to determine what would best suit the stone. Or did you mean what setting style?
I am searching for the exact ring that is in my head but just not really sure until I will actually see how the stone turns out.
My choice would be an authentic " Leon" but that is not possible - I need someone local.
This is very exciting!
Sometimes we just need to " e-think" out loud.
You actually sound so positive now and confident that you have chosen the right path for YOU at this time. I am happy for you!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Is your stone heated?

jvLin

Rough_Rock
I went with Gary Braun because having a gem unheated is important to me. If I''m getting a gem, I want it to be the very best quality that it can. If it''s going to be heated, why not get a synthetic instead? I just like having my stones 100% natural instead of 90%. Heated really, really bothers me.

Plus, that one has a nice clarity and great colors. Heated sapphires are a dime a dozen; 90%, possibly 95% or even 99% of the sapphires on the market are heated. If you like having "the very best," you won''t find it with JW''s; someone can get an even larger one with a better color. But with Gary''s, your colors are unique and they''re 100% natural.

Jeez, I sound like I work for Braun. Anyways, that''s my opinion. ;-)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 5:48:06 PM

Date: 9/26/2009 11:46:49 AM

2.gif

36.gif
I'll try to measure the stone. If I can't, I'll ask my jeweler to do it. It is certainly smaller than a diamond of the same ct. size, which is why I voted that you choose the larger sapphire. I hope to be posting news on my custom cut stone soon. I think I'd better check with the Gene
1.gif

Hi Marian,
oh that's okay, don't go to too much trouble on the mm - I just thought I'd see if you knew them off hand.

that's awesome that you're getting a Gene sapph - will it be another blue?
As I mentioned, Gene was my first port of call, but unfortunately the first rough (which was perfect for my shape/size/colour), didn't work out.
7.gif

I'm sure yours will be gorgeous, can't wait to see!
36.gif
I'll see if my DH can take the measurements with his metric tools. It may not be spot on, but now you have gotten me curious! I'm not having another sapphire cut, I'm venturing into the wonderful world of tsavorites
1.gif

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
jvLin: why would you say " if you like having the very best, you won''t find it with jw''s"? Not sure I understand that statement. Jeff carries unheated stones of high quality. Maybe I misinterpretted ?
btw, a heated sapphire is still a genuine stone- not a synthetic product. It just needed to " bake" a little longer to bring out the best colour.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 12:38:14 AM
jvLin: why would you say '' if you like having the very best, you won''t find it with jw''s''? Not sure I understand that statement. Jeff carries unheated stones of high quality. Maybe I misinterpretted ?

btw, a heated sapphire is still a genuine stone- not a synthetic product. It just needed to '' bake'' a little longer to bring out the best colour.

Spirit, I wouldn''t bother trying to decipher Jvlin''s comments - I find it quite mean to come on a thread where two (actually 3) people are discussing their excitement about their new JW stones, and bash them.

To answer your question from earlier - yes, sorry I meant which faceting pattern for your cushion. And yes, mine is heated. I do shy away from stones that typically have treatments, but I do not mind gentle heating on sapphires, esp. after I spoke further to Jeff and learned about it.

I cannot find the exact ring I have in my head in photos either - I know I will be using 18k YG though. I love blue sapphires and rich yellow gold.
1.gif

TBH, even if Leon was local to me, I don''t think I could use him - esp. long distance. It would just be too stressful after everything I read on here.

Are you in the US?

I''m happy for you too, thankyou!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 12:31:06 AM
Author: jvLin
I went with Gary Braun because having a gem unheated is important to me. If I'm getting a gem, I want it to be the very best quality that it can. If it's going to be heated, why not get a synthetic instead? I just like having my stones 100% natural instead of 90%. Heated really, really bothers me.

Plus, that one has a nice clarity and great colors. Heated sapphires are a dime a dozen; 90%, possibly 95% or even 99% of the sapphires on the market are heated. If you like having 'the very best,' you won't find it with JW's; someone can get an even larger one with a better color. But with Gary's, your colors are unique and they're 100% natural.

Jeez, I sound like I work for Braun. Anyways, that's my opinion. ;-)

Jvlin, This really could've been phrased in alot more tactful way - maybe that's not your strength?

There are three people on this thread discussing their excitement about ordering JW stones - for you to say we have no chance of getting the very best, is pretty rude.

Your priority is your priority on unheated sapphires. But I think you are quite misinformed comparing them to a synthetic, esp. when they come from a reputable person such as Jeff.

Oh - and Gary is not the only person who can get non-heated sapphires. This statement is just absurd.

If you'd read the thread, you would've discovered I made a decision that was right for *me* based on size, shape and colour requirements. Sure, I could pay another $500 or more for an unheated stone (from Jeff) - but that's not *my* preference.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 12:32:21 AM
I''ll see if my DH can take the measurements with his metric tools. It may not be spot on, but now you have gotten me curious! I''m not having another sapphire cut, I''m venturing into the wonderful world of tsavorites
1.gif

Sounds good RS - I would be curious, as it is similar ct weight to the one Jeff is proposing for me. It looks like a good size on you.

Oh, sorry I jumped to conclusions! Wow, one of Genes'' tsavs will be awesome - I love that bright cushion he recently listed, very pretty!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
How exciting AJ!!!!!
35.gif

Lori

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 1:06:36 AM

I'll see if my DH can take the measurements with his metric tools. It may not be spot on, but now you have gotten me curious! I'm not having another sapphire cut, I'm venturing into the wonderful world of tsavorites
1.gif

Sounds good RS - I would be curious, as it is similar ct weight to the one Jeff is proposing for me. It looks like a good size on you.

Oh, sorry I jumped to conclusions! Wow, one of Genes' tsavs will be awesome - I love that bright cushion he recently listed, very pretty!
My sapphire measures ~7mm x 5mm. HTH. On Gene's site, the first "ovalish" cushion shaped tsavorite, that is marked as sold, is the color, shape, and size stone I would like him to cut for me
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/27/2009 12:31:06 AM
Author: jvLin
I went with Gary Braun because having a gem unheated is important to me. If I'm getting a gem, I want it to be the very best quality that it can. If it's going to be heated, why not get a synthetic instead? I just like having my stones 100% natural instead of 90%. Heated really, really bothers me.

Plus, that one has a nice clarity and great colors. Heated sapphires are a dime a dozen; 90%, possibly 95% or even 99% of the sapphires on the market are heated. If you like having 'the very best,' you won't find it with JW's; someone can get an even larger one with a better color. But with Gary's, your colors are unique and they're 100% natural.

Jeez, I sound like I work for Braun. Anyways, that's my opinion. ;-)
jvLin please forgive me if I've misunderstood you but why does heating bother you? Most sapphires get their colour by being heated by nature itself. So for me, if you heat a sapphire that hasn't cooked for long enough in the earth, you're simply speeding up nature's process that was stopped prematurely by mining! The colour is in no way artificial. It's simply what nature would have done if it had had the chance.

Even though heated sapphires are easier to come by than non-heated - they are still not easy to find in beautiful specimens. However there are HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS of treated sapphires on the market and that's an entirely different ball game.

If a gemstone is beryllium treated OR has any other chemical added to the process then I totally agree with you - it's like tampering with nature and although I've seen some wonderful looking treated sapphires, for me, they're artificial (albeit real sapphires).

So for me, heating and treating are a million miles away from each other.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
well said, LD!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 12:45:05 PM
Date: 9/27/2009 1:06:36 AM

I''ll see if my DH can take the measurements with his metric tools. It may not be spot on, but now you have gotten me curious! I''m not having another sapphire cut, I''m venturing into the wonderful world of tsavorites
1.gif

Oh, sorry I jumped to conclusions! Wow, one of Genes'' tsavs will be awesome - I love that bright cushion he recently listed, very pretty!
My sapphire measures ~7mm x 5mm. HTH. On Gene''s site, the first ''ovalish'' cushion shaped tsavorite, that is marked as sold, is the color, shape, and size stone I would like him to cut for me
2.gif

Thanks Marian for the info, I thought it looked ~7mm.
Ahh, fantastic that was just the tsav I was thinking of! The cut and colour are both fabulous.
Do you know how long until you might have it, and will it go in a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results