shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 2:55:00 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Date: 9/29/2005 10:01:21 AM

Author: jcrow

me too! (jumping on the bandwagon)

$39.99- why not?? i bet they are going to have such a surge in orders for this baby! i am even thinking this may make a great x-mas gift for my female friends!

Been there done that last year! Though I got them the new version, not refurbished.

Did they like it??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
who wouldn''t like it!?! I might get one for my FMIL for x-mas. She has lots of bling to clean.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 3:49:26 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
who wouldn''t like it!?! I might get one for my FMIL for x-mas. She has lots of bling to clean.

are u going to buy now or at christmas time? i am wondering if they''ll still have the ones for $39

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Whew, Mara -- I am soooo glad you love your new toy!
2.gif

I''m having big fun with it, too. Added more ammonia... did it on HIGH, then REPEAT...
20.gif
2.gif
9.gif
-- woohoo, my rings are sure GORGEOUS!
30.gif

I wonder if anyone is truly satisfied with the results using the miniscule amount of ammonia that the directions say to use, though???! Maybe non-PS type people for whom ANY improvement is "good enough"???!
2.gif

Listen... there''s a subtle tick-tick-ticking going on all across America right now...
1.gif

Lynn

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everybody who got one raves about it. And those who don''t have them ask me to clean their rings when they come over! A coworker wanted one so badly that when I received a refurbished one as a gift for my birthday in June (and I already had one) she bought it off me rather than have me return it. Everyone loves ''em.

I think they''d still be in stock over Christmas, after all, I bought mine over a year ago on ebay and they''re still around for you guys to scoop up, right? But I might not wait till right before Christmas, I don''t know how fast these go as Christmas presents.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I really decide to do it I''ll buy it soon. I have a feeling they are going to run out with all the PSers on here hearing the great reviews. I don''t have any problem getting her a refurbished one vs. new one. Mine came in oringinal packaging. I love it. I might go clean my ring again
31.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
good to hear FG, that they went over so well!! that confirms that i will be getting them as gifts! oh, i hope they love it as much as i think i will love mine. now, off to wait for mine to come in...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 4:10:09 PM
If I really decide to do it I''ll buy it soon. I have a feeling they are going to run out with all the PSers on here hearing the great reviews. I don''t have any problem getting her a refurbished one vs. new one. Mine came in oringinal packaging. I love it. I might go clean my ring again
31.gif

oh yeah- i meant to ask this-- if the referb one came in a decent box?! on the website it notes that the box could be damaged...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno if things have changed in the past year but while the refurb ultrasonic came in a box, it was not the same box as the new one comes in, in the store. That''s why I bought my friends new ones...at the time I got mine, it was obvious from the packaging that it was not new from the store. I don''t know if they''re still doing that now, or putting it in the same box as the store.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 12:08:45 PM
Author: Mara
hint..don''t put in silver earrings with the ammonia solution...DER. i did this with my hoops and they got all gross and looks like the ammonia ate away at some of the polish.
20.gif
oh well i needed a new pair anyway!

i know i should know this--- but can you put in silver w/o the ammonia and it be ok?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've put silver in and it doesn't get the tarnish off. You need a silver polishing cloth or something for that. It did nothing for my silver. And I used the dish soap/windex/water combo.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 4:17:22 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''ve put silver in and it doesn''t get the tarnish off. You need a silver polishing cloth or something for that. It did nothing for my silver. And I used the dish soap/windex/water combo.

ok thanks.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mine came in a nice little sturdy box, but obviously not an in-store purchase "new" box.

TECHNICAL QUESTION, please! I noticed that after a HIGH cycle and a REPEAT that the water was WARM! It was cold before I ran it (because I was re-using the cleaning solution.) Could somebody else please let me know if their unit WARMED their water???!!!

Thanks,
Lynn

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 4:12:56 PM
Author: jcrow
Date: 9/29/2005 4:10:09 PM

31.gif

oh yeah- i meant to ask this-- if the referb one came in a decent box?! on the website it notes that the box could be damaged...

The box was perfect. Plastic around the unit, directions, SI magazine...looked new. I am not sure what the new boxes look like but honestly I don''t think my FMIL would care if it was new or refurbished as long as it works. I still spent around $48 in total so I think that is a nice amount for a jewelry cleaner. It would be hard for me to spend much more when there is so much in this world that I desire.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 4:24:35 PM
Author: Lynn B
Mine came in a nice little sturdy box, but obviously not an in-store purchase ''new'' box.

Lynn

do u think the box would be present worthy, especially if they''ve never seen the original? -- guess i can see when mine comes in...

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Well I finally received mine!! I used FG''s "formula" and it definitely got a lot of crud off my e-ring (I hadn''t cleaned it in a couple days
6.gif
). But there still is some black stuff under the prongs that I couldn''t get off. Maybe I''ll try buying some ammonia or Mr. Clean. But I must say that the platinum definitely looks so much better than it ever did with any other cleaning method. And my cheap cz white gold earrings look much better now too! Granted I never really cleaned them much before
6.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
The box the unit came in was just a little brown box. You would definitely notice that this unit was not purchased from the SI regular store. But the inside unit was in perfect condition and nicely packaged in the little brown box and then in a huge shipping box.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 4:42:44 PM
Author: Stretch4
The box the unit came in was just a little brown box. You would definitely notice that this unit was not purchased from the SI regular store. But the inside unit was in perfect condition and nicely packaged in the little brown box and then in a huge shipping box.

Mine came in a packaged box (pictures, logo, it looked legit) that was in a smaller brown box, then shipped in a huge brown box.

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
If you think your rings look good using the SI ultrasonic....try steaming them with your espresso machine (using extra long tweezers of course)!!!
2.gif

shepherd

Rough_Rock
Will an ultrasonic cleaner harm any particular type of diamond ring setting? Are these safe......Shared-prong eternity diamond band?.......Multi-diamond Channel setting? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
26.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif
39.gif
38.gif
39.gif
29.gif
39.gif
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Isn''t this what always happens. One of the melees in my setting FELL OUT!!!! I found it floating in the solution. Looks like I''ll have to take it to the jewelers tomorrow. (on a lighter note the ring did look VERY clean). I am so sad to leave my ring. My finger is loney and wants her friend back. **sniff** Just wanted to warn others with small stones in their settings. I probably will still keep it for my studs and any jewelry that doesn''t have any bead set stones. My love has for my SI has faultered...
7.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, just think of the bright side, at least you lost the stone somewhere where you could find it. Better than just looking at the ring one night and noticing it''s gone.

I think one of the jewelers or appraisers here on PS once said that he would rather find out that a stone is loose this way instead of completely losing the stone.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Stretch. I called FI to tell him and he was said "please tell me you didn''t cry" ( I didn''t) but I am still sad b/c that means I can''t clean my ring with this. And it really does work. I am going to take the diamond and my ring tomorrow to be fixed. My FMIL told me not to tell them I was using an ultrasonic. Honestly though I have had this ring for FOUR months and it was an expensive "designer" setting so it should have been set better. It looks like only one prong was holding in place!!! So maybe it was only a matter of time. At least I still have the stone.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry that happened to you, I wonder if it (the little stone) was on its way out already???

I have shared prong settings for my rings but the halo looks bead set I think - I haven't had any problems with any stones coming out from the SI cleaner in the 6 months I've had this halo ring. I don't clean it every day, but I do so at least once a week normally.

Shepherd, I've used this ultrasonic on a six prong solitaire setting, a five prong solitaire setting, a half eternity channel set band, a shared prong band and a shared prong ring with bead set melee halo. And countless earrings and pendants and things.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG- I have only had the ring for 4 months. I put it on high. Maybe that was the mistake. I am nervous to use it on my e-ring again.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m thinking of getting my fiance a SI for her ering. Wondering, for those of you using ammonia in your ultrasonic, what is the concentration of your ammonia product? I read that household ammonia is usually a 5 to 10% dilution. This would make a big difference in the actual amount of ammonia that''s going into the ultrasonic.

Thanks
Mark

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
Hey Mark...the stuff I use doesn’t state the concentration, but the brand is Parsons, and I use basically half ammonia half hot water...

…this recipe works like a charm

marie11

Rough_Rock
I teach Dental Hygiene at a college and my colleagues and I regularly use our ultrasonic (actually intended for dental appliances) for cleaning our assorted diamonds and other jewels. I have been very happy with the results, however I think I will review the actual power of the machine vs. the SI machine. I''m thinking it may have more oomph and we should be more cautious.

We use approximately a half and half solution of water and a concentrated cleaner designed actually for use on dentures, etc. Works great.
One of the perks of being in the dental field!
19.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I will also say I found the ammonia smell to be super strong and not really my cup of tea. I may stick with the Mr. Clean which smelled much better and seemingly worked just as well!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 6:49:39 PM
39.gif
39.gif
38.gif
39.gif
29.gif
39.gif
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Isn''t this what always happens. One of the melees in my setting FELL OUT!!!! I found it floating in the solution. Looks like I''ll have to take it to the jewelers tomorrow. (on a lighter note the ring did look VERY clean). I am so sad to leave my ring. My finger is loney and wants her friend back. **sniff** Just wanted to warn others with small stones in their settings. I probably will still keep it for my studs and any jewelry that doesn''t have any bead set stones. My love has for my SI has faultered...
7.gif
Better it fell out in the solution than lost forever.
16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results