shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you Kristy, you will be amazed at how clean it gets your rings!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t touched mine or my rings in over a week now...Til Demo is done and all is clean and new I am not unearthing them. Can''t have any dust or whatever on them or near them!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes keep them safe ame. I haven''t used mine a whole lot. It does such a good job cleaning them they hardly get dirty.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use mine every other day, I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

I used it on my mom''s ring, she never cleans it and her ring was breathttaking afterwards. We were out at dinner later and her ring kept catching my eye. YUM.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Out of pure curiosity, do you guys put your rings right on the bottom of the SI unit or in the little basket?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The basket irritated me (the slots seemed too big to hold anything in there safely in the way of rings or earrings etc) so I think it''s lost now in some drawer...I just put the items all directly into the bottom of the unit.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the response Mara. That basket annoys me too because it is another thing I have to clean and dry off when I use it. So I just put my rings on the bottom and (though I probably am just being stupid lol) I swear the ring looks even cleaner now!
2.gif
So I''m putting the darn basket back in the box in the closet and forgetting about it
2.gif
LOL.

And I am soooo telling every person I know about this ultrasonic... I STILL love it!!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like the way the basket was designed at all. The slots are too big. So I skip the basket all together. I would love to design my own!!! What fun that would be if we all did it together???
31.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I found the basket irritating too, and don''t use it.

BTW, Ame''s probably already thought of this, but it''s great for cleaning my loupe, too!
1.gif

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm - I thought the basket was only for cleaning watches. And that''s why it sits in a drawer, unless I''m cleaning DH''s watch in there. I''ve never put any jewelry in it otherwise...the thought never crossed my mind.

rae

Rough_Rock
Am I right in thinking that the metal doesn''t matter - ie is not affected - regardless of whether it is platinum, white gold, or yellow gold? (I know silver is different).....??

I recently received my first white gold piece as a birthday gift and am wondering if there are *any* risks to the metal itself, in using an ultrasonic cleaner.... ??

Many thanks, folks....
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the gold or metal should not be affected but use the appropriate cleaning products for the type of metal you are putting in there. aka don''t put in harsh chemicals with silver (duh i did this) or with white gold etc. platinum can pretty much take any abuse.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve used my windex/dishsoap/warm water combo on platinum, wg,and yg, and they''re all in pefect condition, but much cleaner!
1.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 12:48:50 AM
Author: rae
I recently received my first white gold piece as a birthday gift and am wondering if there are *any* risks to the metal itself, in using an ultrasonic cleaner.... ??

I use my US cleaner/steamer on my WG wedding set and I don''t have any problems...what I *did* learn while having WG is NOT to use a polishing cloth on WG, as it will strip the rhodium plating off the rings faster. I did this initially and had to replate my rings inside of 4 months. Now, I just use an eyeglass cleaning cloth (no lint or abrasives) to dry my rings and 4 months later, they still look great!!! No yellowing or anything!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG the sharper image one said something in the instruction booklet about putting your jewelry into the basket....so I tried it but like K said the slots were way too big (I was thinking wow what kind of big jewelry goes in there?!??!! I bet Garry's 9c RB ring would fit!!)...and after a few minutes of staring at it and my jewelry not fitting, I got over it, and therefore everything just went into the bottom.
9.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, the slots in my SI basket were not too big. My e-ring ring nicely sits in it, and even my earrings stayed in it, although if they moved too much, they may have fallen through. I just hate having another piece to remember where it is, etc.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use the basket. The posts of my studs sometimes fall through but the diamond keeps it still in the basket. I think they are easier to remove from the basket than the bottom of the tank. Just my 2 cents. Whichever way it is used it is a great little gaget (still have kept my e-ring out of it though). I love it.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
I remember a big buzz on pricescope about the Salton Ultrasonic and Steamer. I just put this on my Christmas list and then found this thread. Does anyone have experience with both the Salton and SI units. Did you find one worked better than the other.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a good question jennyann. I do remember a lot of buzz about the Salton steamer, but seems like people aren''t talking about it anymore. I would love to hear what people have to say about them.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Salton Jewelry Spa that I bought about six months ago before everyone started talking about the ultrasonic cleaner. I would like to buy the ultrasonic too to see if it works better or about the same as my jewelry spa, but I don''t think I''m going to spend the money. As far as how well the Salton jewelry spa cleans, it does a pretty good job with my rings. It seems to work better if I pre-scrub the rings with a toothbrush before putting them in the solution. But after I''m done steaming them, they sparkle like brand new again. I don''t know if the ultrasonic could do a better job or not. Also, if you have a pave band, you may lose diamonds in the ultrasonic. I know many people on here said they''d rather lose them there than anywhere else, but I don''t want to lose diamonds at all! So, I''ll probably just stick to using the Salton Jewelry Spa.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
So, can you use the ultrasonic if you have micro pave?
I don''t even have my ring yet and I am researching how to keep it sparkling clean. Hee hee.
12.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2005 6:28:14 PM
Author: jorman
So, can you use the ultrasonic if you have micro pave?

I don''t even have my ring yet and I am researching how to keep it sparkling clean. Hee hee.
12.gif

I wouldn''t. I lost a melee in my US.
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jorman, they don''t recommend using an UC for rings with micro pave. My asscher RHR has lost one stone and will be back tomorrow after being fixed. It will never be placed in an UC. I suggest you clean your soon to be gorgeous ring with a soft tooth brush and jewelry cleaner. And you can experiment in making your own cleaner, lots of threads on that.
2.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Bob at Whiteflash suggested placing the ring in an old prescription or film bottle, adding a little dove liquid soap, filling rest with H20 and gently shaking and then cleaning with a soft toothbrush and rinse.

I know how much cleaner the UC''s are. My mom has one, but I won''t ever get that extra clean clean.
8.gif

Oh well. It will still be beautiful.

-Janna

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a drag to not be able to clean your ring in a UC especially after seeing the difference between how clean my ring gets now and before.

If I don''t clean it for a few days and just use cleaner it looks okay, but 5 min in the UC and it looks brand new again.

Probably another reason why I would never get micropave on a daily wear ring! The dirt would drive me insano. And I''m already partially there so I don''t need an extra push.
9.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 12:21:38 PM
Author: jorman
Bob at Whiteflash suggested placing the ring in an old prescription or film bottle, adding a little dove liquid soap, filling rest with H20 and gently shaking and then cleaning with a soft toothbrush and rinse.

I think I would be more afraid of knocking a stone out that way, what if you shake it around too much and loosen something when the ring gets hit back and forth against the bottle?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2005 3:17:38 PM
Author: kaleigh
That''s a good question jennyann. I do remember a lot of buzz about the Salton steamer, but seems like people aren''t talking about it anymore. I would love to hear what people have to say about them.

Kaleigh...I still use my Salton Jewelry Spa daily or every other day. I''ve augmented the process with the use of Brilliant Jewelry Cleaner. I use the US first, then before steaming, I''ll use the Brilliant cleaner. Finally, I steam my rings. They come out gorgeous and my diamonds "dance" in all kinds of light! The only thing that I have found as a drawback to the SJS is that the residue from the cleaner in the US portion sometimes builds up on the metal "conductor" and I have to "clean" it with a pencil eraser to get it to work again...But it''s minor and my rings still come out looking great!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Do you guys know when you buy a new pair of white sneakers, and eventually, down the line it will get dingy or dirty no matter how much you clean them. Is it the same with diamonds? Is it possible for it to get a build up of dirt whereas it can never be cleaned like the first day you bought it?
~ Also, I couldn''t get through all of these pages on here so im taking a short cut:
What do you guys like to use, or find to be a better solution? 1 part water 1 part ammonia,
Or 1 more part of one or the other?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No...I find that by "hand-cleaning" regardless of what you use you will never get the diamond or ring to look like when you first got it. Therefore I was shocked after a few rounds in my ultrasonic how even the metal of the ring was shiny again and the stone was spotless. So to me it looks like it does when I get it cleaned professionally and if there is some tiny way that it's not EXACTLY that good, well that's okay because it looks a thousand times better than when I would hand-clean it with a solution and a brush.

As for solutions, I don't have a recipe, I just heat up water in the microwave for a minute to get it super hot, splash some Lemon Scented Mr Clean (which has ammonia in it) in there and put the water in with it. If I have time I put in a drop of dishwashing detergent and I hit it on High and then repeat it if I have the time for 2 5 min rounds. I guess I put in about 2 parts water to 1 part Mr Clean. I tried using straight ammonia but the smell is so unpleasant that I prefer using MC and it works just as fine to my eyes.

ETA you said you didn't read the whole thread, I would go back and do that, because alot of people already gave their opinions on what they like to use in the water in terms of solution and what works best for them etc. So your question was probably already answered a few pages back.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just cleaned Nanny''s eternity rings in my UC as she gave them to me for safe keeping while she was in the hospital. One is a diamond bead set eternity band the other is a sapphire channel set eternity band. I have cleaned them before by hand with little success. Can I just say WOW. I did them on high twice and they are like brand new. I couldn''t believe it. Yay for SI UC''s!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results