shape
carat
color
clarity

Bracelet / Bangle design help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I currently have three blue and green gems that have been living with Julia Taylor for a number of months - they are all supernovas cut by Barry, the same size (I think 7.5x6.5mm): one blue tourmaline, one blue-green tourmaline and one aqua. Photo is below.

I was originally going to make another right hand ring, but the idea of creating a bangle or bracelet instead has really started growing on me...and I know Julia could create something really special..
The only thing is, I always end up buying bangles or bracelets and than find I never wear them - I think the movement irritates me, having to re-adjust often - especially as I work in an office environment and type/write alot of the day. I would like this to be a piece I can enjoy and is not irritating to wear
1.gif

For this reason I would love to both see any bangles or bracelets that you lovely people have made/bought that incorporate gemstones, or any suggestions that you believe may work for my project?
I was thinking of a cuff form, but I don''t want it too look dated, which I feel is a risk with cuffs, if you kwim? So I would love to see any cuff designs you like.

The only thing I know at the moment is it will be both sterling and 18k yellow gold, and the stones will be bezeled.

I''d love any photos or ideas you can share, thankyou very much in advance!
35.gif

BB 3 stonesaj1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I find I can''t type with a bangle on. It hits the keyboard and drives me crazy. Just something to think about if you plan to wear this for office work.

Gorgeous stones, btw.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Completely agree about bangles.

The only bracelets I tend to wear that don''t need adjusting or getting on my nerves are ones that can be worn at any angle (so usually with stones all round). As you''ve got the three stones that need showcasing it strikes me that you''ll be on a never-ending quest to turn it round so I''m not convinced that you''ll find a setting you''ll be happy with.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks G and LD - but hrmm, not such a great start, lol!

Yeah, I think bangles can be ruled out I guess.

What are your thoughts on a cuff design that can be made snug enough to push up a lil and stay put, or when I''m in the mood let it "hang loose"?

Or some kind of heavy link bracelet?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same issue and end up taking my watch or bracelet on and off often. If I can push it up so that my arm doesn''t hit the rest on the bracelet, I am OK. I have started wearing my mother''s watch to remember her by and it has a stretch band...not my normal taste, but as it is a bit loose, I can push it up my arm and go on typing, which is quite convenient.

Laura

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like bracelets, but I think I like them more on other people, you know? I get irritated by all the sliding and clinking on the keyboard. If I have a thin long sleeved shirt and they can sit over the sleeve it doesn''t bother me, but when I hike my sleeves up then it''s back to the sliding and clinking. If the design doesn''t go all the way around, they end up being top heavy and I have to move it back to the top of my wrist. I have a stretch link bracelet and stretch band watch and they don''t bother me in the slightest.

Sorry, I''m no help!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh AJ I''m sorry, I didn''t mean to be so negative!
4.gif

I have a cuff type Cartier bracelet (sort of bangle) inset with diamonds and screws etc etc BUT even though I push it up my arm, I find it incredibly annoying.

I guess what you could do, but with 3 stones it''s going to be unbalanced, is to have a piece of gold (imagine a straight piece) with your gem bezel set into it, then a few thinner bars of gold (like links) then another piece of gold with gemstone etc etc.... the problem is that on one side you''ll have 2 of the blues together and this would drive me barmy. To set it so you don''t have the 2 blues together you''ll need to set the three gemstones fairly close to each other. This is the challenge because if it''s a "normal" type link bracelet, it will move around and so you''ll sometimes end up with the gemstones on the underside.

Would you actually wear a cuff? Have you got a costume jewellery one that you could wear for a day or two to see how it feels?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about the same issue for using some of my gemstones. I also find bangles and cuffs hard to wear. The style which works for me are line bracelets. If you go to the Stuller site Link and search on line bracelets you will see what they have available. I''m pretty sure my jeweler can assemble a bracelet using gemstone links and non-gemstone links, since they make these designs on-site in their shop. It shouldn''t be difficult to do and with those Barry stones, it would look pretty awesome.

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
Have you heard of the cape cod bracelet? I wear one everyday/ all day. It doesnt seem to get in the way of typing. I think my watch bangs around more. Maybe try a gemstone in place of the ball? and have three bracelets? Or looks like a three ball/gemstone design might work.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JKT makes an interesting bypass bangle thats adjustable and doesnt look like it would slide.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I used to wear a bracelet with a bezel set lapis every day (until the stone snapped in half when I took it off at security at an airport) and because of the way the metal was shaped, it hardly ever moved around. I love those stones, and it would be great to be able to see them all the time!

I can't find one that really looks like what I'm looking for, but something like this? With the stones set in the center and the connected to the body by hook closures? (someone, please help me with my terminology!)

ETA: Ack, huge, sorry!

bangle_hook closure.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
AJ, you have such an exciting new project! I''ve always wondered why there weren''t more bracelets or bangles around PS. I love your two tone idea, and I think it would be a very rich look to pair your blue Barry with 18k yellow gold and silver.

I agree that bangles can be fairly uncomfortable, but I''m inclined not to rule them out. (I''m biased because I''m in Kuwait right now and I just spent about 30 minutes peering into a bangle case of of 22k bangles!) I think that a single, well constructed bangle makes a classic and sophisticated statement. You might opt for an oval shaped bangle with a hinge/screw system so that it stays in place and fits your wrist tighter.

Or, bracelet or bangle, you could use it as a special occasion piece, and you wouldn''t have to worry about banging it around on your keyboard. I like this idea because you could really...throw yourself into the design without worrying about utility. Also, bracelets can get beaten up pretty easily, esp. colored stones in bracelets, so that''s one less concern you''d have.
1.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AJ,

I''m super sensitive to bracelets as well, but I recently had one made with three spinels link by Sally. It''s really comfortable, because it has big rounded filigree "links" (excuse my poor terminology, please, it''s late here and my English is deserting me) between the gemstones. It stays put pretty well, but would work even better with one more link and a lobster clasp, instead of the chain and toggle clasp. I will also have the stones bezeled in near future.

I hope this helps
1.gif
I love your color combo and think a bracelet in any form is a great idea. Exciting to see what you''ll decide on
36.gif

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi AJ,
I don''t know if this exists, but what if you had a cuff/fitted bangle that hugged the wrist, but was connected by chain on the underside
Does that make sense?
If it worked, it seems like this would allow for the snuggest fit with comfort on the underside of your wrist (in theory at least
1.gif
)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 2:27:54 PM
Author: mariedtiger
Hi AJ,

I''m super sensitive to bracelets as well, but I recently had one made with three spinels link by Sally. It''s really comfortable, because it has big rounded filigree ''links'' (excuse my poor terminology, please, it''s late here and my English is deserting me) between the gemstones. It stays put pretty well, but would work even better with one more link and a lobster clasp, instead of the chain and toggle clasp. I will also have the stones bezeled in near future.

I hope this helps
1.gif
I love your color combo and think a bracelet in any form is a great idea. Exciting to see what you''ll decide on
36.gif
I LUV your bracelet!
30.gif
I can imagine how comfy it is to wear.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even wearing a watch bothers me when I''m at work so maybe my advice may not be suitable for you. The only wrist items I can tolerate is a chain type bracelet that is all metal (no worries about gemstone getting scratched or chipped) or a flat style bangle. I cannot wear the rounded style bangle all day long or even at work. That said, I love the look of the cuff style a lot but have never worn any. I think it is a good way to incorporate gemstones since that style will never turn on the wrist, and as such, limits damage to softer stones like tourmaline and beryls (aquamarine).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A lot has been said alreday so I''ll try to keep this short. In order to not slide a lot you should look for:

- something light; heavier items slide on the wrist more
- something that is more flat in design; round bracelets, especially link types, slide more easily
- something with an open back; the less metal that "glides" on the skin, the less likely it is that the item will move
- something that will hold all the gems in one place; less chance for them to get damaged, more control you have over them

Maybe something similar to men''s ID link bracelets, with gems set inside the "bar" would work well.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou everyone for your excellent advice and insights.

I''m not feeling well so will leave individual answers until later, but I wanted to let you all know I have been reading your responses and appreciate all the suggestions a lot
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just to show an example of what I had in mind, this cuff style bracelet from Julia''s site is very close for the basic concept.
Of course I would consider having it made wider and adding details etc..

I am glad to hear I am not alone in finding bracelets troublesome to wear!

chrysbrace2aj.jpg

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I think the Julia design you posted is lovely and elegant! I want!

I've been hunting around for cuffs/bracelets for a while, on the theory that it would allow me to wear more and larger gems :) But yeah, I tend to fiddle with my jewelry, which is a problem. Fiddling with rings (sliding them on and off) isn't so bad, see, but when you fiddle with cuffs... well, it starts to be more of a problem.

Here's one designed (I think??) by Gordon Aatlo, which is kind of the opposite aesthetic from the one you posted, but which I also like (though I don't think I could afford it!)

2908267357_a797760cc9.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Largos and Pack for your input.

Actually, I wear a really big heavy men''s watch (you can see it in some of my photos), and don''t notice it at all..
I guess because I''m right handed, and I wear watches on my left..and it also has a leather band, which helps..

Pack, ha ha I do the same thing with long sleeved shirts
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 12:38:09 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Oh AJ I''m sorry, I didn''t mean to be so negative!
4.gif

I have a cuff type Cartier bracelet (sort of bangle) inset with diamonds and screws etc etc BUT even though I push it up my arm, I find it incredibly annoying.

I guess what you could do, but with 3 stones it''s going to be unbalanced, is to have a piece of gold (imagine a straight piece) with your gem bezel set into it, then a few thinner bars of gold (like links) then another piece of gold with gemstone etc etc.... the problem is that on one side you''ll have 2 of the blues together and this would drive me barmy. To set it so you don''t have the 2 blues together you''ll need to set the three gemstones fairly close to each other. This is the challenge because if it''s a ''normal'' type link bracelet, it will move around and so you''ll sometimes end up with the gemstones on the underside.

Would you actually wear a cuff? Have you got a costume jewellery one that you could wear for a day or two to see how it feels?

ha ha,
that''s okay LD, I was just kidding.
I''m sorry, I''m trying to envision your description but I can''t seem to..
40.gif
That''s okay though, I hear what you''re saying that 3 stone is an awkward amount for a link-style bracelet..

I don''t own any costume jewellery now really (sold it all in a garage sale recently), but that is a good idea..
I might get a cheapie fashion one and see how it feels..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 7:16:43 AM
Author: arjunajane
Just to show an example of what I had in mind, this cuff style bracelet from Julia''s site is very close for the basic concept.

AJ,
Wide and flat, as pictured in your post, is the most comfortable for me. Not only that, it doesn''t twist or move much.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 12:45:40 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I''ve been thinking about the same issue for using some of my gemstones. I also find bangles and cuffs hard to wear. The style which works for me are line bracelets. If you go to the Stuller site Link and search on line bracelets you will see what they have available. I''m pretty sure my jeweler can assemble a bracelet using gemstone links and non-gemstone links, since they make these designs on-site in their shop. It shouldn''t be difficult to do and with those Barry stones, it would look pretty awesome.

ah, thanks Flygirl for the pointer to Line bracelets! I have not considered this style and think they look pretty nice. I''m sure a handmade custom one would be very pretty.
Do you own anything like this already?

And when you say it works for you, do you mean in terms of wearability, aesthetics or both?

many thanks!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 9:18:38 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 12/14/2009 7:16:43 AM

Author: arjunajane

AJ,

Wide and flat, as pictured in your post, is the most comfortable for me. Not only that, it doesn''t twist or move much.

Thanks Chrono - this was the kinda thing I had in mind when I started thinking of cuff/bangle..

I dunno, perhaps I''m just trying to do something different for different''s sake, maybe I should stick with the ring like planned??

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
AJ, I wear bracelets almost daily and I don''t really have problems at all - I wear them on my left, not my right, and spend a lot of time in front of a computer.

I will say that a completely round bangle is a little annoying, but the ones that are oval shaped and flat on the underside don''t bug me at all. The oval shape makes them not turn and they stay put if you slide them up your arm a bit. I love the idea of a simply JKT bangle!

Hope you''re feeling better --

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The important thing is how often will you wear it as a ring versus a bangle. If you feel like you have too many rings, don''t wear rings often other than e-ring, don''t wear the bangle often and those sorts of questions will determine your final answer.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
thankyou narwhal for the suggestion - I had not seen that Cape Cod bracelet.

MTG, do you mean the one that has the trillion amethysts?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 9:28:32 PM
Author: Elmorton
AJ, I wear bracelets almost daily and I don''t really have problems at all - I wear them on my left, not my right, and spend a lot of time in front of a computer.

I will say that a completely round bangle is a little annoying, but the ones that are oval shaped and flat on the underside don''t bug me at all. The oval shape makes them not turn and they stay put if you slide them up your arm a bit. I love the idea of a simply JKT bangle!

Hope you''re feeling better --

Thanks El for your input - do you happen to have any with gemstones in..?
1.gif

Actually, feeling kinda the same, still crummy, but thankyou
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 9:28:39 PM
Author: Chrono
The important thing is how often will you wear it as a ring versus a bangle. If you feel like you have too many rings, don''t wear rings often other than e-ring, don''t wear the bangle often and those sorts of questions will determine your final answer.

I don''t think I can ever have too many rings
9.gif

But I do tend to only wear usually one at a time on my ring finger, and rotate them.
The idea of this 3 stone ring, seeing as it would likely be for the right middle finger as it will need alot of real estate, would be something I would wear most days along with whatever I''ve chosen for the left hand...does that make sense?

If the bangle is comfortable, wearable etc I would likely wear it "every other day" - but it would be a shame to create something with these Barry stones that doesn''t end up getting worn..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results