shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a Diamond, Think I made Mistake, PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just bought a rock, I felt pretty good about it, but after doing MINOR research online, I think I got SCREWED. Can anyone PLEASE tell me if I got ripped off, because I have 24 hours to CANCEL MY ORDER!!!!!!!!!

I Just DON'T want to be ripped off...............

Thank you SOOO Much!

Rinaldi J Bohemian

EGL Certified

Shape and Cutting Style: Round
Measurements: 6.04x6.09x4 mm
Weight: 0.98 carats
Proportions:
Depth: 66.00 %
Table: 59.00 %
Girdle: thick
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity Grade: SI1
Color Grade: H
Fluorescence: Faint

$ 2680 Price

Let me know if more info is needed.............

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
screwed. cancel. now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
If this is a round, run away from this deal! The depth is far too deep, this diamond will look much smaller as a result, plus there isn''t enough info to determine cut quality such as the crown and pavillion angles, but I would forget this one, there are many diamonds out there and your money can be far better spent. Read the tutorials under knowledge so you know what to look for it an Ideal Cut then look again and compare. Hope this help.

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
Oh My Gosh THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!!

Rinaldi J Bohemian

It''s been Done!!!!!

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m batting 0 of 2. I just really want a stone that will knock her socks off. I am now going to stick with the GIA certifications. I read the tutorials, and went to several local jewelry stores, but I''m trying to get it.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who might have extra time (if you do, thanks so much!). It should be noted that it is strictly as an engagement stone, and I never intend on selling it, even if it doesn''t work out.

Is the cut rating on a GIA certified diamond of good a beautiful cut for someone that doesn''t often look at diamonds?

Is cloudy characteristics on an SI1 bad?

Is a color of H noticeable to the untrained eye?

Does flouresence REALLY matter?

I THINK I want something in the ballpark of:

H color:

Very good Cut:

SI1 Clarity:

and the biggest stone I can get in those criteria for approximately $2800 or less.

Thank you so much if you''ve made it through my awful post, I appreciate it very much!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nix it...

That stone will visually look like a ~.80c stone or similar rather than a 1c stone because of it's cut and depth.

You could instead buy a .75c stone that is superbly cut for $2500 or so that will look the size it's supposed to and the cut will make it outshine that other stone HANDS DOWN.

I would always spend $2500 on a well cut .75c rather than a poorly deeply cut 1c! It's not that important to tell people it's 1c, esp if it looks icky.

I love a great SI stone, stick with a GIA or AGS cert and you will most likely be able to find an eye-clean SI with not too many problems. I also had a G H and now a J stone and I love all of them, the better the cut the better looking the stone IMO. It also helps mask any color but that said I had a 1.29 H SI1 stone and I could see nothing in it and it was very white and colorless to me.

If you can get something like an H SI2 or an I SI2 for the $2800 that would be ideal...but now that you have found this site, spend a little time doing some searching around, good luck!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before I run off to bed, here are two quick links at stones I would take a look at:

https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?sh=88&id=549&prc=2218
.79 I SI2 for $2218 PS price ~6mm diameter

and this one which fits your bill perfectly:
https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?sh=88&id=310&prc=2846
.80 H SI2 for $2800 PS price ~6.05 diameter

Also check out GOG, DCD/James Allen and other PS vendors, keeping in mind that if you stick with a top notch cut...the stone looks better and faces up whiter and larger as well. Good luck!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Mara posted some beautiful stones! Those are definitely worth checking out.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I back what Mara and Lorelei have posted, you can''t go wrong with those. You are far better to go with a smaller but fantastically cut stone. These won''t fail to knock socks off.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a budget? What sort of mounting are you planning on getting? Are you going simple and spending the money on the diamond centre or looking for something a little fancier and would sacrifice size of centre for a little bling on the band?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there is a reason why this was cheaper than most 1 carat diamonds. Unfortunately, this 'reason' most likely messed with what the stone looks like - small & not quite as bright as it should/could.

It may not work to get a fine cut 1 carat for same cash, but one the same size... 'guess so. Where 'size' is how big the stone looks (diameter) not how much it weighs.

H-Si1 sounds good to me. You may find that different labs's grade diamonds differently - so GIA's 'H" may not be the same as EGL's ... Long story. IMO, 'H' is high enough to be a safe bet in this size. Perhaps a more lax lab would call 'I' a high grade, but that isn't too bad either. If it was, 'J' with a 'lax' lab report, that I may expect to look tinted in person.

Ironically, EGL does provide some stats with their lab reports which at least allow to guess how good the cut is. It isn't as precise as other reports in this regard (AGS), but it is also a relative ' bargain'. I would not just shirk away from an EGL graded diamond, if more precision than meets the eye is not a must.

For example: a quick search for "Round shape, 0.8–0.9 cts, G–H color, VS2–SI1 clarity, 59–62% depth, 53–58% table, $100–3000"

A few stones came out. I would hop to choose one with better than 'Good' symmetry and proportions (=crown height and pavilion depth) that score nicely on the 'Cut Adviser' on top of this page. Over 6mm and 'G' would e nice too.
34.gif

And sure enough, this one came up:

Report: EGL
Shape: Round
Carat: 0.86
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.7
Table: 58
Girdle: TN-M
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint or Faint Blue
Measurements: 6.16-6.12X3.73

Now, as most this one is listed by a couple of sellers in the same time, but none of them posts the lab report. That would tell me the proportions and approximately what makes this stone 'Si1'. It would take sending an e-mail to obtain a copy of the lab report. And if the proportions look at least promissing, I'd 'call it in' for a secind look. Perhaps this is not H&A, but if light return turns out great, and the stone is 'eye clena' it would be a winner - IMO, at least.

There are others, sure enough.

Now, you must have guessed that this forum is 'Hearts and Arrows' land and there is much good to be said about the precise technology that goes into making those diamonds etc. But to stick with 3k, something gotta give further.

As long as symmetry and proportions stay on the beaten track, I don't feel like any cut quality was slashed either. Sure enough, 'Hearts and Arrows' came to mean 'perfection' for some folk and they must disagree. But every 'absolute best' has its fans - D and IF included. Writing the above, I was mostly thinking what 'best' would fit the budget and requirements implied by your initial post (size, quality...).

Not all diamonds in the world are listed on Pricescope (yet
2.gif
) , but at this time, the 'Search for cut quality' above pulls down two H&A candidates on a serch for: "Round shape, 0.8–0.99 cts, G–J color, VS2–SI2 clarity, 58–63% depth, 53–62% table, $100–3000":

- one 0.82 J/Si1 ~ $2300 (it appears on the Pricescope search, but not on the shop's website? iit may be new in stock...) and one .

- and one H/SI2 ~ $3000

Perhaps these would still look very colorless so to speak, but if there is a way to have a higher grade - why not.

Just an opinion. Hope the 0.2 worth helps
1.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Definatly look around online, people have listed some great options. I would however, if I were go for an Ideal Cut diamond. I got mine from www.jamesallen.com for $2,800. It''s a .83 Ideal Cut, GIA cert round diamond. It''s a G in color, and I really do think personally G''s and H''s look fabulous. I don''t start noticing color until like J or K. My clarity is S12. We looked at the daimond under a loup and there were two small inclusions with the diamond. One is hidden by a prong now the other is close to the table. You can not see it with the naked eye. My stone is fabulous. I''m completly in love with it. I would always reccomend an Ideal Cut. Sometimes i''ll be at work or i''ll be out and i''ll notice a girl with a bigger ring than me, and it will look good usually too but theres somegthing about the sparkle of an ideal cut that makes me look back down at mine and think '' I like mine better'' hahaha. The good thing about the internet dealers that people are referring you to is that they really work for YOU. If you tell them you want your stone to be eyeclean should it be an SI2 they will look over it for you and make sure it''s eyeclean. Good luck!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to add a word of caution in here for the OP. This forum is filled with some of the finest diamonds money can buy, as you''ll see in the "show me the ring" area and the idealscope images around here--if you''re on a tighter budget be prepared to make some compromises especially if it''s important to get a large stone on a budget. You''re not going to get an ideal cut diamond like people around here have if you want size and it''s a priority, but don''t let that bother you--the diamond will still look great, in all likelihood.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 2:48:15 AM
Author: rinaldijbohemian

H color:

Very good Cut:

SI1 Clarity:

and the biggest stone I can get in those criteria for approximately $2800 or less.

Thank you so much if you've made it through my awful post, I appreciate it very much!

OK... here goes. Question #1. You really can't tell a whole lot from the plot on a cert, if that's what you are referring to. You need to see the stone, or have a trusted vendor eyeball it for you. If you mean that you have SEEN the stone, and in person it looks a little cloudy - then I say, *pass* on the stone. Beautiful, well-cut diamonds should not look cloudy.

# 2 - "H" color. My advice, do not be afraid! Well cut H's face up very white. "H" is in the near-colorless range. I would ask you to consider I, J or even K stones. The "lower" you go, you may begin to encounter some warmth to the stone... but think creamy white - not yellow! I have a killer cut J and I love it.

Flourescence is fine. Rarely it can make a diamond look cloudy or milky. Stay away from those ones. Otherwise, it can add a cool kind of a "glow" to the stone under black lights or the sun. Some people LOVE flouro. And some people think it can make lower colored stones face up "whiter". I would love flouro in my next diamond.

SI clarity... YES, definitely consider that! My stone is an SI2 and it is completely eye-clean to the naked eye. I actually had a jewelry store employee ask me if it was flawless! You can really maximize SIZE when you move down the color and clarity ranges. Just never compromise on CUT! That is what will really make your diamond beautiful.

Enjoy and have fun! And keep us posted.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 2:24:46 PM
Author: Garysax
I just wanted to add a word of caution in here for the OP. This forum is filled with some of the finest diamonds money can buy, as you''ll see in the ''show me the ring'' area and the idealscope images around here--if you''re on a tighter budget be prepared to make some compromises especially if it''s important to get a large stone on a budget. You''re not going to get an ideal cut diamond like people around here have if you want size and it''s a priority, but don''t let that bother you--the diamond will still look great, in all likelihood.

Just my humble opinion here.... but I think the poster has every reason to hope and expect to get a killer diamond on his budget. As I stated above, he can compromise on color and clarity, maximize cut and size, and end up with another one of "the finest diamonds money can buy". It may not be 2 or 3 carats
2.gif
but it can be a gorgeous diamond just the same.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 2:24:46 PM
I just wanted to add a word of caution in here for the OP. This forum is filled with some of the finest diamonds money can buy, as you''ll see in the ''show me the ring'' area and the idealscope images around here--if you''re on a tighter budget be prepared to make some compromises especially if it''s important to get a large stone on a budget. You''re not going to get an ideal cut diamond like people around here have if you want size and it''s a priority, but don''t let that bother you--the diamond will still look great, in all likelihood.
See this is interesting because the original poster IS already making compromises with this original stone, he''s sacrificing cut quality to get an almost 1c stone.

Problem with that is that a well-cut .98c stone would have a diameter of around 6.45mm. This stone only has one of arount 6.07mm. That means that he may be able to say it''s almost 1c but in reality it only FACES UP visually like a .75c or .80c stone or similar.

So in reality he is already sacrificing something, aka the look of the stone to get an almost 1c but he could pay the SAME AMOUNT and get a technically smaller stone but one that looks better and still looks the same size. So there''s no compromise there IMO.

I would agree with you if he was paying for a 1c stone that looked like a 1c stone but the cut was not AS GOOD as say an H&A. But in this case he''s paying for just the carat weight terminology and nothing else.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a search on 4 prong vs 6 prong on here to see what people''s thoughts are.

Personally I don''t like 6 prongs on a stone under 1c but that is just my own preference, I like to see more of the stone with tiny prongs so it still looks round.

You could do something like that WF .80c H SI2 and get a simple white gold Tiffany replica for ~$3200 out the door. Not bad!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2006 5:04:50 PM

I think a 6 prong because everybody says it''s more secure than 4 (is this true?)

Yes... in a way (i.e. if one prong fails out of 6 the stone doesn''t fall). IMO - get whichever you like best. That one kind of freak accident is not common at all. I mean, what could damage the ring that badly without the wearer notice?

I first went to bluenile.com, but then found the 150$ coupon off diamond.com,

Yeah... not that $150 makes a hell of a difference when it comes to diamonds - unfortunately.

The thing I got going for me is she doesn''t think I got much, but I started working a second job with out exactly telling her so that I can afford a really nice stone. :) sometimes a little white lie isn''t ALWAYS BAD!

Goodness!
23.gif
What this diamond craze does to people! Lucky lady though
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... here''s one more: for this weight range, prices go up allot with weight, but not quite as much between grades. Meaning, you may end up with higher color & clarity than you may have thought. It is worth looking around, at least.

And here''s one example why - F-Si2 somewhat less than H . Both seem quite darn perfect and I still have to find the crystal inclusion that made the F''s clarity grade.

I wouldn''t get too hung up on what the setting may be at this point. The simple ones look allot better with smaller stones than larger, and there''s allot to be said for a well finished simple setting. I am quite keen on intricate design, honestly - but it doesn''t seem too common to see someone proffering intricate metal work over a larger/finer diamond for engagement rings. It seems to be the right choice by a mile (spending most attention on the stone).

Best of luck
1.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Hey, I''m with you guys that I''d rather have the smaller carat great cut, and that the size difference will not even be close to what you think since the weight will all be where you can''t see and it won''t face up as large... but THAT SAID. There are ladies out there who are expecting/want 1 carat or at least a certain carat weight. And if this lady is one of those ladies, I think you''ve got to respect that wish and make some compromises on quality. Now first I would explain to her why I wanted the smaller carat beautifully cut stone that will look almost as large, etc... but if it''s important to get 1 carat, which is sort of what I was gathering from the original post (now I gather from subsequent posts it is not as important as I surmised), you''re going to have to give some things up at that price.

That''s where I''m coming from with that comment.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Check out this diamond from Whiteflash. It will look bigger than that 1 ct stone you almost bought. If it looks anything like the beautiful Expert Selection K stone I just bought earlier this week, it will face up white and very sparkly.

link

0.903 carat Round Ideal Cut Diamond

Item Code: AGS-6640506
Price: $2,788.00
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.903
Color: K
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.5
Table: 56.8
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.18-6.23X3.81

ETA: I changed it to the proper link. Sorry about linking you to the IQ test!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh SURE Jelly now that you snatched my way future pendant out from under me...go and try to sell the LAST remaining K in WF''s inventory why don''t you!!
9.gif

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
That K won''t be noticably colored? It will look great?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2006 8:00:14 PM

Near a colorless stone, ''guess it will be ''different''. But this doesn''t mean ''bad'' necessarily. It may be difficult to find ''K'' color diamonds properly graded in local stores - many are not graded and ''presented'' as being higher grades to unsuspecting buyers
40.gif
Sad for the Ks...

Among Pricescopers, there are at least three or four happy owner of K H&A stones (''sevensOne'', ''Matatora'' and who''se was the recent e-ring upgrade?, than ''Stefphan'' had a 3-4 carat K Asscher cut which he upgraded at some point). So... why not.

You can always get this one, take a look and keep the option to exchange it for a different option during the return period. It may be the easiest way to see what a K super-ideal cut looks like in person, and appreciate what the color grade means too against higher grades (colorless CZ, if necessary - although that is very harsh reference for color).

My 2c

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 8:00:14 PM

Of course I am biased (I ADORE my "J"!) but I think that K will DEFINITELY "look great"! Better than great, personally - I think it will be STUNNING. It will have some "warmth" to it, as opposed to the more see-through "icy-ness" of a D, of course... but personally, I LOVE the lower colors. I say GIVE IT A CHANCE! At least take a look!
2.gif
I''ll BET you would be blown away by it!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 7:02:07 PM
Author: Mara
Oh SURE Jelly now that you snatched my way future pendant out from under me...go and try to sell the LAST remaining K in WF's inventory why don't you!!
9.gif

SORRY MARA!
12.gif

Hopefully Whiteflash will continue to carry more K's in their Expert Selection. (hint hint)

Rin, my K is beautiful and is also has an AGS certificate like the one I showed you. I was told you can't lose if you buy an Ideal Cut Stone with an AGS certificate.
Here are some pictures of my K stone. Link

Check out this beautiful idealscope image. Those arrows are amazing! I would contact WF and ask about the color. If they say it faces up white, then go for it! It scores a 1.4 on the HCA score which is right in the range you want! It's an awesome deal.

IS_AGS-6640506.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 4:49:35 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 1/25/2006 2:48:15 AM

H color:

Very good Cut:

SI1 Clarity:

Thank you so much if you''ve made it through my awful post, I appreciate it very much!

OK... here goes. Question #1. You really can''t tell a whole lot from the plot on a cert, if that''s what you are referring to. You need to see the stone, or have a trusted vendor eyeball it for you. If you mean that you have SEEN the stone, and in person it looks a little cloudy - then I say, *pass* on the stone. Beautiful, well-cut diamonds should not look cloudy.

# 2 - ''H'' color. My advice, do not be afraid! Well cut H''s face up very white. ''H'' is in the near-colorless range. I would ask you to consider I, J or even K stones. The ''lower'' you go, you may begin to encounter some warmth to the stone... but think creamy white - not yellow! I have a killer cut J and I love it.

Flourescence is fine. Rarely it can make a diamond look cloudy or milky. Stay away from those ones. Otherwise, it can add a cool kind of a ''glow'' to the stone under black lights or the sun. Some people LOVE flouro. And some people think it can make lower colored stones face up ''whiter''. I would love flouro in my next diamond.

SI clarity... YES, definitely consider that! My stone is an SI2 and it is completely eye-clean to the naked eye. I actually had a jewelry store employee ask me if it was flawless! You can really maximize SIZE when you move down the color and clarity ranges. Just never compromise on CUT! That is what will really make your diamond beautiful.

Enjoy and have fun! And keep us posted.

Just a cautionary note - both of Lynn''s statements about flexing on color and clarity are accurate AS LONG AS you go with a solid, stringent grading lab.

Going to lower colors or lower clarities with a lesser lab (EGL Israel, IGI, etc.) would be much more risky.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 6:24:11 PM
Hey, I''m with you guys that I''d rather have the smaller carat great cut, and that the size difference will not even be close to what you think since the weight will all be where you can''t see and it won''t face up as large... but THAT SAID. There are ladies out there who are expecting/want 1 carat or at least a certain carat weight. And if this lady is one of those ladies, I think you''ve got to respect that wish and make some compromises on quality. Now first I would explain to her why I wanted the smaller carat beautifully cut stone that will look almost as large, etc... but if it''s important to get 1 carat, which is sort of what I was gathering from the original post (now I gather from subsequent posts it is not as important as I surmised), you''re going to have to give some things up at that price.

That''s where I''m coming from with that comment.
Gary.....women who want a BIG ring mean big as in SIZE....diameter. They just don''t realize that carat is a WEIGHT, not a SIZE. Therefore, if a man is going to focus on size, it should be on DIAMETER, not WEIGHT.

If you show a size-focused woman two stones--the well cut .75 and the deeply cut 1 carat---which both measure 6.00mm, she''s gonna say "they are both the same size, but one sparkles more". So buying for "size" doesn''t work unless you focus on diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results