shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a Diamond, Think I made Mistake, PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 11:33:19 PM
Author: aljdewey

Just a cautionary note - both of Lynn''s statements about flexing on color and clarity are accurate AS LONG AS you go with a solid, stringent grading lab.

Going to lower colors or lower clarities with a lesser lab (EGL Israel, IGI, etc.) would be much more risky.

Hey, Alj, THANKS! Yep, I should have thought to add that caveat. Appreciate you watching my back!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what that matters, just saw this as 'thought I'd mention: K/VVS2, 0.94cts, 6.3mm, AGS0 at Pearlmans' of all places. The shop does not typically list diamonds - and the price seems to reflect this.

Perhaps the VVS part is has some 'psychological' effect, but why not after all.

There's so much on this thread already, I wouldn't know what to choose!
23.gif

It looks like the camp is split between 6mm and near-colorless (F-G) and 6.2-6.3mm and lower color (J-K).

... this, assuming all those are eye clean and beyond that clarity means little for the look of the stone despite the effect on price. To me, the size difference doesn't mean much, and the color grades lined up make small increments from F to K. Side by side, the two would be different, IMO. But this doesn't make K a bad choice.

My 2c

Best of luck
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, I'm on Pearlmans site a lot and never have seen that loose stone..but wow, what a find..

rinaldijbohemian- you could get the stone ana posted with this WG setting which is only $400 and still be right around your budget. It's not a plain solitaire but a great deal for the price if you think she'd like side diamonds..
036PO13.jpg

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2006 8:09:34 AM
Author: valeria101

For what that matters, just saw this as ''thought I''d mention: K/VVS2, 0.94cts, 6.3mm, AGS0 at Pearlmans'' of all places. The shop does not typically list diamonds - and the price seems to reflect this.
We carry diamonds Valeria just have not perfected the correct way to present them but will soon. The section of the site you saw this diamond in is to help people dispose of pieces they no longer need or want. That''s way the pricing is such.

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
Okay, so my new search has begun. I am looking for a stone between H and K color, 6. and .9 carat, GIA certified, IF - SI2, and an IDEAL Cut! Here I go, you guys are soooo much help, and I can''t thank you enough I will keep daily checking the sight, you''ve been so much help!

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I think I just found one that will match my budget and wants, What do you guys think? Can I do better?

I will be using a $150 off coupon. If anyone wants it, or coupon codes for more than a hundred online stores, visit www.naughtycodes.com I promise there''s nothing pg13, r, or higher about it..............................

Thanks so much!

Diamond 1:

it''s a bluenile signature..................

Carat weight: 0.70

Cut: Signature Round

Color: H

Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 61.5%

Table %: 56%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted

Culet: Pointed

Fluorescence: Negligible

Measurements: 5.72x5.74x3.52 mm

$ 2744.00

Diamond 2:

Stock number: LD00911560

Carat weight: 0.71

Depth %: 61.2%

Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted

Culet: Very small

Measurements: 5.74x5.77x3.53 mm

$2785

Diamond 3

ock number: LD00412902

Carat weight: 0.71

Depth %: 61.8%

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted

Culet: Very small

Measurements: 5.71x5.74x3.54 mm

$2785

Diamond 4

Carat weight: 0.72

Depth %: 61.3%

Table %: 55%

Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted

Measurements: 5.77x5.79x3.55 mm

$2827

Diamond 5

Carat weight: 0.72

Depth %: 61.7%

Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted

Measurements: 5.73x5.81x3.56 mm

$2827

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you are on the right track now! But we need crown and pav angles before we can really tell you much about the cut!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
get the crown and pavilion angles from blue nile but also use other vendors too...i dont love BN because they don''t typically know much about the diamonds they carry. and they can''t typically get more info or images for you.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 5:22:34 PM
Author: rinaldijbohemian

Okay, so I think I just found one that will match my budget and wants, What do you guys think? Can I do better?

I will be using a $150 off coupon.
Yes, I think you can do better by choosing a vendor who has the stones in house and already has the crown, pavilion angles, etc. I wouldn''t get too hung up on using the coupon. I also wouldn''t worry about the lower color of the other stones that were posted (Whiteflash ES, etc).

IN ALL HONESTY, if I were to be the recipient of this ring - I would choose the setting from Pearlman''s FOR SURE!!! Great deal and a beautiful setting. My engagement ring is a 3 stone with small pave stones on the band, and let me tell ya, you can''t go wrong with a finger of bling. Since you''re staying under the 1 carat mark, but are attempting to get close to the 1 carat mark, those extra sparklies on that setting from pearlman''s will make a big difference. My center stone is a .95 carat, and an E VS1. I love my "E" but I would love those K''s from Whiteflash and Pearlman''s probably more than the bluenile stones that were posted. This is just my opinion, of course. I would not hesitate to take the advice of any of the veteran Pricescopers who have posted suggestions on stones - they''ve been on this site for years and definitely know what they are talking about.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
If I were you I''d take a trip out and try to see some K-H diamonds in person (GIA cert so you know the color ratings are correct). That way you can really decide how you feel about color in stones before you buy one that has more warmth like K or one that is a bit icier like an H. Nothing beats seeing stones in person and finding out how you feel about the different aspects of diamonds!

I do think your decision to get great cut before other things is a very good one though and your intended will be pleased you did, whether she knows it or not.
36.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown and pavilion angles are on the AGS report. They're all AGS 0. Get rid of #3.

rinaldijbohemian

Rough_Rock
You guys are soooo much help. I am going to be PERFECTLY honest. I don''t get it! I''ve done a TON of research, and I still don''t get it. Crown, pavillion, depth, color, clarity. HEAD OVERLOAD. I went into about 5 jewelry stores and saw about 20 diamonds. I couldn''t tell them apart besides size.

I could rank the top 30 players in the next NFL draft (holy useless information batman), but I cannot pick a diamond for the LIFE of me. Am I never gonna get it? Is there hope for me?

PLEASE FORGIVE ME, AND THANKS FOR YOUR HELP SO MUCH!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't worry, this is a completely normal thing! As we say the crown and pavillion angles etc are a tool to help weed out lesser performing diamonds and it can get very technical around here! It is overwhelming, but my best advice is to use the numbers to start but see what your eyes advise you as to the beauty of the diamond! Plus as well in a jewellery store it is hard to tell the differences due to the lighting. You will know your diamond when you see it so try to relax and have fun with it - you are doing fine honestly and we are here to help! The diamond you pick will be many times more beautiful than most you will see due to you making the effort to get educated!
35.gif

ETA - you could always take a break from diamonds for a day to two unless you are in an incredible rush, just to clear your mind a little.

E B

Ideal_Rock
How about this one? I think it might be what you're looking for:

.742, F SI1
($2900 with PS discount, 1 on the HCA)

If it's eye-clean (and it looks to be!) I think it's a real contender.

Another one to look at:

.717 G, SI2 ($2550 with PS discount, 1 on the HCA)

That one, if eye-clean, looks very nice too.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased my diamond and setting from Pearlman''s. The diamond is stunning. I get compliments on it almost each and every day. Mostly "it''s sooo sparkly". Bill''s eye is worth $150,000 in equipment that valuates diamonds. I must admit that I was at first "put off" by the fact that he didn''t use all the equipment we hear so much about...but I am so glad I went with him. After evaluation Richard Sherwood said it was one of the best diamonds he''d seen in years. In the future i will let Bill select all of my jewelry for me. He is also a class act and has the best personal customer service in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results