shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there words you feel are overused or that make you cringe?

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
”Piviot”… when the pandemic started, businesses announced that they were “pivoting” to other types of work, or had pivoted :mad::loopy:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I can't even"

"Because reasons"

P

Petalouda

My apologies if this has been mentioned but I can't stand the phrase "YOLO" (You Only Live Once. It can be a good phrase but I've seen it used too often to justify impulsive decisions leading to debt.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Incentivize."

Just kill me now...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gift, used as a verb. :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - here are mine.

Cute. What a putdown! Especially in relation to old people. It's so patronizing. So many celebutants use this word, and it's ALWAYS patronizing. Hate it.

Panties. Oh, where to start?

Texted. It was never a verb to start! It has no hope of having a past tense.

And the most heinous word in the world......

Diet. But that's a whole other story, I suppose.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
X-mas instead of Christmas and I'm not religious by any means

It's like someone is either really lazy or really afraid they're gonna burts into flames after spelling it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Orientated (not trendy but just wrong)

Hella. As in that's hella cool or it's hella cold outside or whatever.

What the actual f***. This one was going around a while back.

So stinking cute. This was also going around but even if it wasn't trendy, I just don't see stinky and cute going together.

Super cute. This has popped up recently and seems usually weirdly applied to very average looking fashion and makeup items.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AF. I cannot stand the way every. single. sentence. gets finished with these letters! Why do we need to overemphasize everything? Are we afraid life doesn't see us? Do we need to stand - screaming into the wind - for the world to know we're here?

She was pretty.

That's delightful.

Dinner was wonderful.

I was annoyed.

Look at that! Every single one of them stands alone without the ridiculous AF added to it. I also don't want the word 'f*ck' popping into my brain every second, every time somebody speaks. Why does life have to be sooooo ramped up?? Either people are listening to you or they're not. If they are - the emphasis is unnecessary. If they're not - 'AF' isn't going to help you.

Besides, it's coarse. There. I said it. And no, I have nothing against swearing. At all. We just don't need the extra emphasis every single time we open our mouths.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I get a little icked out when a simple, casual, short conversation subjects me to a dozen f***s and sh**s. Eww! I feel like stuffing a bar of soap into the offender's yap. :lol-2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Circle back”, and not because a certain red-headed political figure said it, I just think it’s annoying.

Don’t circular back, just answer the question now or say, “I’ll look into it” or “I don’t know, let me find out”

Also not a huge fan of “got you” our older son loves that and “bruh”. I think that’s how you spell it, I can’t keep up with this teen speak.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
“Circle back”, and not because a certain red-headed political figure said it, I just think it’s annoying.

Don’t circular back, just answer the question now or say, “I’ll look into it” or “I don’t know, let me find out”

Also not a huge fan of “got you” our older son loves that and “bruh”. I think that’s how you spell it, I can’t keep up with this teen speak.

Didn't it used to be bro? Is bruh an evolution to a gender non-specific term? Either way over used, but I am just curious.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't it used to be bro? Is bruh an evolution to a gender non-specific term? Either way over used, but I am just curious.

I think bruh is the new bro, looked it up because I wasn’t sure, proof that I’m old and out of touch lol!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also agree about over-emphasizing everything.

Re "bro" to "bruh," now I also hear "bra."

Another thing I find cringey is "popped my [insert new thing done here] cherry" or "not a [insert new thing done here] virgin" anymore. Does everything have to be sexualized or bathroom-ized.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Not gender related, supposed to be the phonetic form or bro, like mah instead of my.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
When people say something "needs washed," or similar, omitting the phrase "to be." Drives me nuts and is happening more frequently.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You hate....Beloved?? Oh noooooo!!! :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

To clarify, I do not hate “beloved,” just its overuse. It seems that lately every person that passes away, every tree, building, or intersection that’s been damaged, was “beloved.” Not just by some, but universally. Oh well… just a personal quirk of mine.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“All the feels.”

“Making memories.”

“So fun.”

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reads all the comments and slowly backs out quietly.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clarify, I do not hate “beloved,” just its overuse. It seems that lately every person that passes away, every tree, building, or intersection that’s been damaged, was “beloved.” Not just by some, but universally. Oh well… just a personal quirk of mine.

Was just a joke, @VRBeauty, because my beautiful 3 stone is called Beloved. :))

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I know, right?"

hashtags

"bespoke"

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
When people say something "needs washed," or similar, omitting the phrase "to be." Drives me nuts and is happening more frequently.

I think this is regional in the US---the only people I have heard that structure their sentence in this way were from PA. Hopefully it is not migrating and spreading!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Another thing that makes me cringe is when people use "Whenever" instead of "When". Not sure if this is a regional thing or what?

eg. I remember whenever I was in preschool, my mom used to give me flat coke in my sippy cup!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh - I forgot my number one pet peeve!

"Off of."

I got off of the highway.

I got up, off of the sofa.

I took the jam off of the counter.

It is seriously like nails down a chalk board to me! It's OFF - not off of. And nooooobody else says it, just by the way. It's an Americanism and it affects me now the same way it did, the first time I heard it when we moved to the US. Welcome to the boonies!

Sends. Me. Mental.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Language peppered with near-continuous, "... know what I'm saaaayin?', or, "Ya hears me?", or unnecessary multiple, "Uhm"s. :knockout:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok - here are mine.

Cute. What a putdown! Especially in relation to old people. It's so patronizing. So many celebutants use this word, and it's ALWAYS patronizing. Hate it.

Panties. Oh, where to start?

Texted. It was never a verb to start! It has no hope of having a past tense.

And the most heinous word in the world......

Diet. But that's a whole other story, I suppose.

yes i hate cute too
also sweet (unless its about lollies)

oh yes panties is ugly
i also dont like frock or slacks
and i dont like crotch but gusset is ok

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Unless if”

“All of the sudden”

There are so many extra words in those phrases! Why?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results