shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there words you feel are overused or that make you cringe?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. To be clear, I am not judging anyone. Just sharing words that I feel are a bit overused. I am not free from this either. I use some words/phrases way too often. Guilty.

This is not a grammar police thread. Rather I am just curious if the use of any words/terms are irritating when you hear them. They might be used in an accurate manner but because we hear them often they become annoying.

Here are some words that I could do with hearing less of.
(Is it OK to end a sentence with a preposition :lol:)?

1. Literally.
We have a friend who uses this word in practically every single sentence. She is young (24) and I don't want to criticize her or offend her in any way so I keep quiet about this. When it comes right down to it I really don't care that much but we were just chatting yesterday and this topic is on my mind. I am not joking when I say she uses the word literally in (almost literally lol) every sentence. And it's not even being used correctly. She uses literally to mean figuratively most of the time.

2. Social distancing. I am over it. The correct term should be physical distancing anyway. I don't know who came up with the term social distancing but it isn't as accurate as physical distancing. IMO.

3. We're all in this together. Yes we are and I use this phrase often. Going to work harder to not use it.

4. In these uncertain times. All times are uncertain if you think about it. This phrase can be repetitive to hear over and over and over.

5. Actually/Like etc I am guilty here too. And I also use "I know, right"? Another overused term. I use that one a lot too.

6. Karen. I never liked using someone's name as a pejorative term.

There are more but I will stop here.

Any words that make you cringe?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever!

It manages to be rude and dismissive yet devoid of meaning all at the same time.

Yes, this is true. I am also guilty of using this in the past when I was pi**ed at my DH or mom. I would say "whatever" and it was very rude and dismissive. Happy to say I do not use that word anymore. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Coz like, my kids use like, like every second word, like literally.

Haha guilty of this too (in the past). I think we use some of these word/terms to soften what we have to say. Similar to up talking (which I do not care for but it feels as if up talking is everywhere) which IMO serves to soften what the person has to say. In a way up taking is similar to adding "right?" or "I know, right?" to the end of a sentence.

I do not care for up talking. It turns everything into a question. While I understand there might be a reason for up talking...it invites the listener to participate in the conversation- I do find it annoying. To me it just invites uncertainty. Do they really feel that way because they are asking it as a question vs saying it definitively.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iconic. Because so few of the things now labeled as “iconic” actually rise to that level.

Beloved.

Gifted, when used as a verb.

And I totally (another overused word, btw - LOL) agree with “Karen.” It’s lazy. If someone is acting entitled, disrespectful, self-centered, willfully ignorant, rude, etc. etc., call it that and justify your charge. As they say, “use your words!”

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it is an overused word. I have a question... can one define their own jewelry as being "iconic"?
Personally, I do not think so. It is overused to the point of being meaningless. IMO.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
The phrase “fighting the good fight”. I just cringe whenever I hear it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is an overused word. I have a question... can one define their own jewelry as being "iconic"?
Personally, I do not think so. It is overused to the point of being meaningless. IMO.

Funny you should ask! I did post a ring I own in the “iconic PS jewelry” thread, as it happens. It’s a James Meyer three-stone, one of the first James Meyer rings posted on PS. Oh well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should ask! I did post a ring I own in the “iconic PS jewelry” thread, as it happens. It’s a James Meyer three-stone, one of the first James Meyer rings posted on PS. Oh well.

Aww please don’t take my comment about that personally. It’s a beautiful thread and I enjoy seeing everyone’s gorgeous pieces. I am just not sure I’d call them iconic. Maybe one day they will be definitively iconic. All I can say for sure at this current time is they are all stunning. Including your beautiful pieces. ♥️

And don’t listen to me anyway. I’m probably all wrong. :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Words that make me cringe are words that are mispronounced, like Nukalar, instead of nuclear, and people saying somethinK or nothinK, when someone misuses a word, like I pacifically said I didn’t want that colour. :mrgreen:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate when people use the phrase (can we add those too?) that they, “Could care less,” incorrectly. That means that they actually could care less when I am pretty sure that they wanted to say that they, “Could not care less.”

A funny millennium pet peeve (as told to me by my kids), they hate punctuation. If I send a text with a period at the end (I am a teacher after all) they think I am being aggressive!! :wall:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww please don’t take my comment about that personally. It’s a beautiful thread and I enjoy seeing everyone’s gorgeous pieces. I am just not sure I’d call them iconic. Maybe one day they will be definitively iconic. All I can say for sure at this current time is they are all stunning. Including your beautiful pieces. ♥️

And don’t listen to me anyway. I’m probably all wrong. :)

I think the thread is meant to identify pieces that people think are iconic within the context of PriceScope - but no matter. I just found it ironic that you’d have made that comment in response to my comment when I was one of the guilty parties ;)2 .And no offense taken!

Ironic. Another word that’s much used and abused these days.:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the thread is meant to identify pieces that people think are iconic within the context of PriceScope - but no matter. I just found it ironic that you’d have made that comment in response to my comment when I was one of the guilty parties ;)2:lol:.

Ironic. Another word that’s much used and abused these days.

I’m guilty too as I participated in that thread. :)
And that is a good point. Within the context of PS. I’ll go with that. ♥️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate when people use the phrase (can we add those too?) that they, “Could care less,” incorrectly. That means that they actually could care less when I am pretty sure that they wanted to say that they, “Could not care less.”

A funny millennium pet peeve (as told to me by my kids), they hate punctuation. If I send a text with a period at the end (I am a teacher after all) they think I am being aggressive!! :wall:

Yup. And I could care less hahaha. It does bother me when misused. :wink2:

I never heard that about periods in a text. Oops. I am not going to stop using punctuation.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Omg! This is the second time I’ve heard this. Aggressive?? So if I write “I’ll be there at 8.” It’s as if you’re writing in caps or something??

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I also hate Karen and genuinely feel bad for people with that name. I use “like” and hate it and try to not use it but it’s hard. It’s easy to fall back on filler words. I also dislike sappy phrases like “to the moon and back” “live laugh love” etc but that is more merchandise phrasing than in vocab I think. :lol-2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg! This is the second time I’ve heard this. Aggressive?? So if I write “I’ll be there at 8.” It’s as if you’re writing in caps or something??

Yes!!! I’ll answer one of their texts with, “Ok.” And they’ll reply something along the lines of, “What?! You mad or something?!” It’s mind boggling.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!!! I’ll answer one of their texts with, “Ok.” And they’ll reply something along the lines of, “What?! You mad or something?!” It’s mind boggling.

If I iI you texted me this then I’d say youre angry. Otherwise lol no.

OKAY!!!!!!! :x2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

As an educator, I shudder to think of what English essays look like now. Thankfully I teach foreign languages, where it's common to make errors since you are actually learning the language in question. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is it not acceptable to spell out the word when texting? I don’t like abbreviating certain words. For example. R U. I don’t like purposefully misspelling.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the period or punctuation after the reply they take offense to!! :snooty:
ETA @miasy Oh yes and I hate R U and K! Sheesh! Can you not even finish the word?! It’s ridic! :lol:

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Dude.

My ten year old girl has suddenly started saying “Like…DUDE?!!!”. I pay an arm and a leg for her education for her to be dude-ing me…. Kill me now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dude.

My ten year old girl has suddenly started saying “Like…DUDE?!!!”. I pay an arm and a leg for her education for her to be dude-ing me…. Kill me now.

Hahaha yes. Are the kids still using that word? First time someone (a guy) used it talking to me I was like what? I’m a girl not a dude. Lol. That was in the 2000s iirc.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I had hoped it had been consigned to the days of Bill and Ted but it appears, regrettably, to be having a resurgence.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My word is slang and seems to be popular with teens like my dear son.

Imma

It stands for “I am going to”

Ex: Imma get my phone and play Pokémon Go.

My SIL informed me not that long ago about the punctuation in text being an act of aggression. Well, I’m aggressive then because I’m not going to stop using punctuation. I also spell all my words out when texting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My word is slang and seems to be popular with teens like my dear son.

Imma

It stands for “I am going to”

Ex: Imma get my phone and play Pokémon Go.

My SIL informed me not that long ago about the punctuation in text being an act of aggression. Well, I’m aggressive then because I’m not going to stop using punctuation. I also spell all my words out when texting.

Yup, I am right there with you. It's the end of civilization if we purposefully give up proper punctuation and spelling.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

I dislike the phrase "bucket list." It originates from people who are terminally ill describing what they'd like to do in the tie they have left. It's way overused.

Describing everyone who has ever been a part of anything as an "alum" of that thing. This morning I saw some reality TV star described as an "alum" of Show X. (Can't even remember what it was.) At least use the full word! It's really over-used and should mean a graduate of an institution, imo.

I hate it when a word is suddenly everywhere just because of a news event. "Tsunami" is an example, after the one on December 26, 2004. Before that, it was a tidal wave.

I suppose I dislike faddy trends in language as much as I dislike faddy fashion - and faddy diets! Fad anything annoys me, like that ice bucket challenge. C'mon! Just donate some money. You don't have to pour an ice bucket over your head to do that.

Trends annoy me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results