shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there words you feel are overused or that make you cringe?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nucular instead of nuclear, even heard this in movies...yuck!

Imagine saying I've bought these nuculated pearls. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in retail and the new buzzword is lift.
"There is lift in our pricing this year".
I guess they think it sounds less negative.
They expect see a lift in sales, and a lift in profits in spite of a lift in prices.

It was making me cringe in the last sales meeting.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The constant new trend words and phrases drive me nuts. I realize they are the tiny increments by which language changes. But picking up on the very latest slang seems like something tweens and teens do to be cool. I do find it cute when kids do it, but stupid when full grown adults do it. Still trying to earn that coolness badge at last, Poindexter?

"Wow. Just wow." This one seems to be fading out, thankfully.

(When ordering dinner at a restaurant) I'll "do" the salmon.

"On point." The salmon they did was on point.

"Legit." I legit just woke up. I'm legit about to have my coffee.

"Anyways." It seems like trying too hard to be folksy or something.

Stating something that's not really all that earth shattering, followed by "This is a complete sentence." Or "Complete sentence." For the "super cool," it's just "Sentence."

"OG." When a founding member of the ladies' book club thinks she is an "Original Gangster."

"Me time." It sounds like something a two-year-old would say when they haven't yet mastered simple sentences.

"Too rich for my blood." This is not trendy but IDK it just sounds snotty, besides being a cliche. Do we really need a euphemism for "It's too expensive?"

"Vagina." Well, this one's been around for a while but it's relatively new in use as an icebreaker. I can't turn on one of my stupid reality shows without some vulgar creature announcing something about her vagina, usually at a formal dinner.

When restaurant servers say "you guys" and "no problem."

That vocal question mark thing when it's not a question isn't cute?

If you are not physically travelling, then please shut up about your "journey."

Vocal fry. Omg. Is it fart noises or quacking and why, oh why?

Asking yourself a question, then answering it. "Am I a perfect human being? No, I'm not but I din't do it, your honor." No one asked you a question. So don't answer it.

"Bonus mom." We all know sometimes things don't work out and parents split and remarry. But the original problems and the reshuffling are all hard on kids. So I feel like reframing it with cutesy positive phrases sort of dismisses that. Maybe the kids don't think of you that way.

Oh, there are so many more!

Last edited:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
The constant new trend words and phrases drive me nuts. I realize they are the tiny increments by which language changes. But picking up on the very latest slang seems like something tweens and teens do to be cool. I do find it cute when kids do it, but stupid when full grown adults do it. Still trying to earn that coolness badge at last, Poindexter?

Stating something that's not really all that earth shattering, followed by "This is a complete sentence." Or "Complete sentence." For the "super cool," it's just "Sentence."

"OG." When a founding member of the ladies' book club thinks she is an "Original Gangster."

"Me time." It sounds like something a two-year-old would say when they haven't yet mastered simple sentences.

"Too rich for my blood." This is not trendy but IDK it just sounds snotty, besides being a cliche. Do we really need a euphemism for "It's too expensive?"

"Vagina." Well, this one's been around for a while but it's relatively new in use as an icebreaker. I can't turn on one of my stupid reality shows without some vulgar creature announcing something about her vagina, usually at a formal dinner.

Asking yourself a question, then answering it. "Am I a perfect human being? No, I'm not but I din't do it, your honor." No one asked you a question. So don't answer it.

"Bonus mom." We all know sometimes things don't work out and parents split and remarry. But the original problems and the reshuffling are all hard on kids. So I feel like reframing it with cutesy positive phrases sort of dismisses that. Maybe the kids don't think of you that way.

Wow, you came up with a bunch!! I have not heard of using “complete sentence” before.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you came up with a bunch!! I have not heard of using “complete sentence” before.

I have heard “No is a complete sentence,” when in reference to a man refusing to accept that a woman doesn’t want to go out with him. I think that’s a pretty valid statement and I love to read it/hear it.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

------

LOL! Yeah, the "buzzword" thing is annoying. I hadn't heard of the sentence thing, nor vocal fry. Will have to find an audio of vocal fry. :lol:

I know it's been mentioned up thread...my absolute most-detested phrase is the misuse of "gift". As in, "She will gift this to me", or "He gifted them with..." I actually hate that. :wall: Unless of course, someone "gifted" me with some huge-mongous perfect-for-me sparklie. :lol:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

"Complete sentence" and "legit" were going around on the beauty forums I hang around at now and then. They seem to be little microcosms of trendy language, for some reason. There's a new one every week lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in retail and the new buzzword is lift.
"There is lift in our pricing this year".
I guess they think it sounds less negative.
They expect see a lift in sales, and a lift in profits in spite of a lift in prices.

It was making me cringe in the last sales meeting.

Lift is (only) welcome when it comes to bras/breasts. And platform's/heels. :saint: :P2

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thankfully, I've never heard of half of these!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
bomb shell unless we are talking about the blitz or such like - or Marlyn Munro ;)2
as oppossed to some half truth scandalus piece of gossip

and what is up with drop of late
if something is dropped its discontiued in my book
but nowdays it seems to mean more of a new release

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I know it's been mentioned up thread...my absolute most-detested phrase is the misuse of "gift". As in, "She will gift this to me", or "He gifted them with..." I actually hate that. :wall: Unless of course, someone "gifted" me with some huge-mongous perfect-for-me sparklie. :lol:

@SparklieBug
As fate would have it, this Lightbox ad was at the bottom of the page with your comment when I read it!
Screenshot 2022-11-10 11.21.37 PM.png
So is this a detestable misuse or an acceptable use as long as you are the recipient??? :lol::lol::lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consume lots of content from The UK.

I, of course, am accustomed to the American English use of singular vs. plural terms.
For example, a team is one thing
One team being comprised of multiple members does not make the team itself plural.
But those Brits are, uhm, confused.
They should learn proper English. :read::read::read::read::read:

Americans would write, The football team is doing well.
But those UKers write, "The football team are doing well."

A team is one thing, not many things.
Many things? ... that would be the team members.

Drives me batty.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I, of course, am accustomed to the American English use of singular vs. plural terms.
One team being comprised of multiple members does not make the team itself plural.

Drives me batty.

I love all things UK. Just one thing gives me pause. Instead of saying doing blood work they say bloods. Isn’t blood plural and singular both? Anyway that’s the only thing for me. I wish I was born British lol. Much more refined sounding than a girl from Brooklyn. Fuggadeboutit :lol:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Drives me batty.
Fair point.

I'll give you another one: aluminum vs aluminium.
Can you spot the mistake?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll give you another one: aluminum vs aluminium.

I think that one is two different words -- after the "i" got dropped so both are correct -- unlike for nucular, above. And I think that became an acceptable pronunciation after a certain US president -- with an undergrad background in the area -- proved incapable of saying "nuclear" on TV. Ever.

My least favorite thing about British English is their absolute refusal to pronounce any "foreign" word in other than purely phonetic form. Think: juh-LOP-uh-no for jalapeño, etc. And the car manufacturer HY-un-DIE. OK, maybe it's just Jeremy Clarkson who drives me nuts.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that one is two different words -- after the "i" got dropped so both are correct -- unlike for nucular, above. And I think that became an acceptable pronunciation after a certain US president -- with an undergrad background in the area -- proved incapable of saying "nuclear" on TV. Ever.

My least favorite thing about British English is their absolute refusal to pronounce any "foreign" word in other than purely phonetic form. Think: juh-LOP-uh-no for jalapeño, etc. And the car manufacturer HY-un-DIE. OK, maybe it's just Jeremy Clarkson who drives me nuts.

Yeah, I know but I still find it odd and I can't get over it when I hear it.

I couldn't stand the guy until I started watching the show about his farm. He can be a real prick sometimes but watching him getting his hands dirty, doing some actual work, was entertaining.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Late to the thread as usual, but didn't see anyone post some of my peeves:

"Bruh"! (could be a greeting, an exclamation meaning, no way! or and have similar meaning to DDDDUUUUUUDDDDDDEEEEE!)

People who used "Drug" as the past tense of drag. eg: They drug the body across the street after he was shot.

People who use "Heighth". Length and Width are actual words but Heighth is NOT a word.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's cap
GG
fine
whatevers
I don't know, I don't care

unfortunately, my 13 year old says these all the time, and it is super annoying.

I agree the worst is Karen

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to talk to my 14 year old niece in teen-speak. Bruh, sis, cap, bet, all of it. It drives my mother absolutely NUTS and it’s hilarious. We once made a Tiktok dance to a Cardi B song and even got my dad in it and that just about sent my mother over the edge.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
clean
hopefully all the food we eat is clean
how can food not be clean
are we not washing it first ?

so who is dusting their dinner with dirt instead of salt and pepper?

same for everything else clean gets used for these days except things that are the direct opposite of dirty !

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's cap
GG
fine
whatevers
I don't know, I don't care

unfortunately, my 13 year old says these all the time, and it is super annoying.

I agree the worst is Karen

GG = good game, I see nothing wrong with that

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results