shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone love their mattress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I looking to purchase a new mattress and would love some recommendations. Nothing too firm or too soft and preferably a pillowtop.

thanks in advance
35.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I love mine, but unfortunately they went out of business. I don''t know what that means, but I know of people with the bigger brands and they paid a ton more and they have indentions already. We have had it for 3 years and you can''t tell it has been slept on and it retailed for $1000 and I only paid $500 because I worked in a retail store.

If you have the money I would go with a Simmons Beautyrest or Black. They have been around forever and been perfecting all the while. They should last too. Then if you don''t like the idea of dropping a couple grand on a mattress then you can go with a cheaper brand if you choose. That is what I did and I am thrilled with it.

If you have any health problems then a Tempur-Pedic may be the right one for you. They are pricey, but afford you benefits that a regular mattress cannot. I do not like them. They are good mattresses, don''t get me wrong, but I like a softer mattress. As far as any back, muscle or bone issue there is no better mattress that you can get.

One of the ways that we as salespeople decided whether we like a mattress or not was to of course lay on it. The salesperson wants to get you to lay on them and you should no matter how silly you feel and be sure to lay the way you sleep. If you try out one on your back, but you sleep on your belly the one you thought was comfy may not be. And another thing we swore by was weight. When you pick up the corner with one hand. As you shop pick up the corners. You will see that some are much lighter than the others. Usually what that means is that there is less steel in it. Even if they claim to have a ton of coils it may have a very thin wire. The tempurs even fit this even though they have no steel. They are the heaviest suckers out there.

Hope I could help. There isn''t a mattress that someone else can tell you is right for you. You have to try them out yourself and see what is comfortable to you and your partner.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just got one about 2.5 months ago and we like it. It's a no-spring latex mattress and is very supportive with a pillow-top like feel. I'll look at the name tonight when I get home and post tomorrow. Oh, and I believe it's a soy-based latex, so it doesn't give off chemicals like other foam mattresses and it's supposed to be a more green option.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lulu,

There have been a few mattress threads within the past year. As I mentioned in this thread about latex mattresses.

Hope these help you find what you are looking for. I thought I wanted a pillow-top too, but tried the latex, and it is a dream -- cradly-comfortable!!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the responses so far. off to read up!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i am obsessed with my tempur-pedic mattress. it''s honestly the best thing to ever happen to me, aside from meeting DH. it takes a tiny bit of getting used to for some people (it didn''t for me, but it did for DH), but wooowww is it heaven on earth once you do. it''s honestly the best money i''ve ever spent.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to Mimzy. I know a lot of people don''t like their tempur-pedics but we LOVE ours. It did take me a night or so to get used to it, but now it''s hard for me to sleep on other mattresses.

Only thing though is that they are HEAVY so making the bed is a PITA.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I also love, love, love our tempur-pedic. The smell was annoying for the first week or two (chemicals from the mattress) but it eventually aired out & now we are SO happy to own one! I think they''re great if you''re a person who always feels cold. I''ve found that ours traps heat very, very well.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 5:12:12 PM
Author: mimzy
i am obsessed with my tempur-pedic mattress. it''s honestly the best thing to ever happen to me, aside from meeting DH. it takes a tiny bit of getting used to for some people (it didn''t for me, but it did for DH), but wooowww is it heaven on earth once you do. it''s honestly the best money i''ve ever spent.

I WISH we had gotten a real Tempur-pedic mattress! We wanted to save money though, so we went with a pseudo-tempurpedic instead (from a local store that sells their own brand). It''s not that comfortable, and even my husband is regretting buying it (and he''s the one who talked it up to me when I was skeptical). I knew I shouldn''t have listed to him.
38.gif

I used to have a King Koil years ago, and that was the best mattress I''ve owned. Soooo comfy!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I have a Tempurpedic knockoff and I''m still thrilled 5 years later. In fact I have two
1.gif

Best sleep I''ve ever, ever had.
36.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We have a no-spring latex as well and LOVE it. Hands down the most comfortable mattress I''ve ever slept on. We got it from a local company called Mulligan''s Mattress here in Portland.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I really wanted a no-spring latex mattress but they don''t have them in Canada much - even the ones that claim to be are not 100% latex. In the states, I''ve heard that the Sealy Spring Free are awesome - check out the mattress blog (google it) and there is a lot of info there.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Englander; pillowtop.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 4:49:02 PM
Author: radiantquest

If you have the money I would go with a Simmons Beautyrest or Black. They have been around forever and been perfecting all the while. They should last too. Then if you don''t like the idea of dropping a couple grand on a mattress then you can go with a cheaper brand if you choose. That is what I did and I am thrilled with it.

We have a Simmons Beautyrest - it''s 5 years old, comfortable, and has held up fairly well. However, I think when it comes time we''ll get something different, as we would prefer something a bit firmer.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had the select comfort bed for 8+ years and still love it. I like that I can have a different firmness then DH.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a TheraPedic mattress with two tier foam--there''s a core of regular dense foam, and then the top two inches are a lighter foam.

We love our mattress. DH''s family owns furniture stores so we went through a lot of mattresses until we found the right one. I have no idea what it would cost retail because we got it for free from the store.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
decisions, decisions.

thanks for everyone''s responses.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE my mattress. We got a king size one last year... its a Tempur-pedic, but instead of it being just the memory foam there are springs throughout it for more support. I just sink into it at night, but I no longer have back pain! I love love love it!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I started a latex mattress thread ...and i ended up buying an all natural, latex memory foam mattress from a canadian company. It is DIVINE. Honestly, it was worth the extra expense. It is very supportive and comfortable at the same time and omits many of the problems associated with memory foam (the off gassing, the ''sleeping warm'' factor, etc.). My DH says he can''t wait to go to bed at night
1.gif
. I notice i fall asleep right away and don''t toss and turn.

The company is essentia

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
October2008bride--check out the link i posted above. It is free shipping, delivered to your door. CND company.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks jas - that looks like a greally excellent green product. because they are a canadian company, did you get to feel the mattress in person before purchashing? Also, any thoughts between the various models?

Thanks!!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE my tempurpedic! I didn''t notice any chemical smell in the beginning. (I have terrible sinuses though - maybe that''s why!)

I think it is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 10:18:11 AM
Author: Jas12
October2008bride--check out the link i posted above. It is free shipping, delivered to your door. CND company.

Jas, thanks so much for sharing this link!

We have a tempur-pedic now, but I think I''ll go the Essentia route when I purchase mattresses for our guest bedrooms. No gassing off, natural (and not just 5-10% soy), and also memory foam. Sounds like the perfect mattress to me
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 5:52:42 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

Date: 12/14/2009 5:12:12 PM
Author: mimzy

I WISH we had gotten a real Tempur-pedic mattress! We wanted to save money though, so we went with a pseudo-tempurpedic instead (from a local store that sells their own brand). It''s not that comfortable, and even my husband is regretting buying it (and he''s the one who talked it up to me when I was skeptical). I knew I shouldn''t have listed to him.
38.gif

I used to have a King Koil years ago, and that was the best mattress I''ve owned. Soooo comfy!
Ditto - we went pseudo as well and wish we hadn''t. Ours is still better than most other mattresses, but Tempur is better.

The biggest problem with having an amazing mattress is the shock you get when you stay in hotels or other people''s guest rooms!
14.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Lovelylulu
--i am canadian so i did go to a showroom in T.O and tried them out. Honestly, they were all comfy but we went for the mattress one up from their basic model. The one DH liked was more expensive but had some extra lumbar support or something, but i liked the model below b/c it was softer and i am lighter so i don''t make as much of an impression on the foam. the salesperson assured us that if we went with my preference my DH would still absolutely love the mattress, and he was right. The salesperson also mentioned that there is no real health benefit to the higher-end models if you are of average weight and in generally good health, since all the memory foam mattress have essentially the same positive effects on the body and you don''t need much of it. the ''bells and whistles'' models (if i recall correctly) had bands of extra foam etc. for additional support in specific spots for very heavy ppl or ppl with specific health needs.

the essentia mattresses are unique in that they use no glue or plastics > that''s why the whole thing is latex foam or organic material--you can get the benefits of latex with just a few inches of the material, but the mattress underneath will still be made of traditional materials and somewhat toxic (if you care about that )

Pilsn--ya, i am really impressed with them. If you like your Tempur, you''ll like the Essentia. very similar feel.

Pandora--i am so afraid of going away and getting a sore back! But i guess it''s WAY better to have a great mattress 99% of the time and an occasional bad sleep, than the other way around.
I was away 2 weekends ago and slept on an ultra-pillow top mattress at a hotel and it was like sleeping on a cotton ball. It was nice for one night, but way too soft for a nightly thing. No support, just luxury.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much everyone. I love this place.

I''m thinking it''s worth the money to invest in a quality mattress, especially since sleep will be a very prized thing once our little bundle arrives
6.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
No problem Lovely. I was in the same boat a few months ago. I never gave my mattress a second thought until i was pregnant and sore/sleeping poorly. Once in my second pregnancy i knew i had to get a better mattress before i got too big and uncomfortable.
When i thought about it, i realized that if we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping, it better be on something good. if i can go and spend several thousand dollars on eletronics around the house (flat screen T.V. etc.) i should easily justify spending the same amount on something that impacts my health.

Happy zzzzzs to you
24.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
after lots more comparison shopping, just ordered an essentia. green and comfortable. can''t wait until it arrives.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Lulu-- I don''t think you''ll be disappointed. Report back to us and let us know how you like it.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We love ours - I don''t know the exact model, but we got a Simmons that is moderately to very firm, with a pillowtop on it. We''ve had it for 5+ years now and its been fantastic.

I remember reading that the major manufacturers (Simmons, Sealy, etc...) are all fairly comparable in terms of materials and quality, its just a matter of personal preference and pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results