shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW An old stone for an old girl - 4.65 antique cushion

bigsparkles

Rough_Rock
your ring is gorgeous!!! congrats and wear it in good health!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, you did it, Poppy - Jewel of the Week! You little ripper, you, I think we'll have a celebratory photo shoot tonight! :naughty:

sushi

Shiny_Rock
its seriously insane!!! It really is stunning!! breathtaking!!

x

mhbc1234

Rough_Rock
hi just ginger
im new !! and am from aus too (melbourne) and have been reading peoples posts for a few days. i love your posts about everything and have travelled a little myself in between working. It is so interesting to read about other peoples travel. love it ! I also have 3 pets myself whom i adore !

congrats on your ring, beautiful !! stunning.

im very curious. you say you had a budget of 25 thou. how on earth did you buy that beuaty with 25 ? that is very very inexpensive for that piece (you dont have to answer! but you can if you dont mind) ??

also do you have any aussies that you recommend to buy jewells/diamonds from ?

thanks heaps

hope to hear from you soon !!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Hi mhbc, welcome to PS. :)) Thank you for your kind words - you should head over to the Hangout and fill us in on your travels and pets. We all love seeing new photos.

I didn't manage to get my last ring for under 25k...but it wasn't TOO much more. When Adam showed me photos and video of my stone, I happily increased the budget. It was SO much bigger and more beautiful than I had hoped to get for that budget level. It (to me) represented a smart purchase, in terms of value for money. I pushed my finances a bit more than I intended to because I couldn't pass up that particular stone.

I honestly do not have a single Australian retailer that I would recommend, nor use myself, for diamonds There are many chains where you're lucky to get a sales assistant who knows the difference between an asscher and a princess cut, and there are a few boutique shops that know what they're doing and make gorgeous pieces but want to charge 3x what you'd pay an American retailer. I do know of Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems if you're interested in getting a colored stone from an Australian cutter. He's lovely and I think his work is beautiful.

I hope I'll see around on the boards. :bigsmile:

mhbc1234

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks for getting back to me, Cant you tell i am new to this forum thing. I dont know where or how to put things !!!
So where do you get your diamonds ? overseas ? usa ? how, via a video !!?? i need help ! diamond brokers in aus, whats your view of them... so many questions ! sorry ....
your stone in a round (though i dont know your specs) go from 50 gran upwards

thanks again

justginger

Ideal_Rock
That is a very healthy budget to work with. :naughty:

I only purchase my diamonds from 2 places - white diamonds from the States and colored diamonds from Israel. If you purchase from the States you'll be responsible for 10% GST upon receival, if you purchase from Israel you'll be responsible for 10% GST and 5% import taxes upon receival. Australia and the US have a free trade agreement that results in the 5% import tax waived on jewelry.

I would suggest touching base with a couple of American vendors to get your search started. The first is Erica or Grace from Jewels by Erica Grace, www.jewelsbyericagrace.com,, who I bought my engagement ring center stone from. They're lovely and take a great number of excellent photos and videos. The second is Adam from Old World Diamonds, www.oldworlddiamonds.com,, who sourced this particular stone. He has seemingly endless access to a great variety of diamonds and is very honest with his opinions of them. If you want one that has similar optics to mine, or someone else from PS who got their diamond from him, just tell him. He'll find one. And his pricing is very reasonable. Both he and Grace have been extremely attentive to me over the recent years. :bigsmile:

What sort of specs do you think you want? Be aware that it is very hard to find high color, large sized antique cuts. Besides being very expensive when you do manage to find one, it may take months to locate one. If you want an icy white stone, perhaps think of modern cuts instead. If you're happy with a warm tint, you'll love an antique stone.

Let me know how you go with those vendors. If they suggest stones, post them here and I'll ask the old cut experts around the boards to have a look. :))

mhbc1234

Rough_Rock
thanks, you are very helpful!

i still cant believe you buy your diamonds online, that seems crazy. can i ask why ? have you had a bad experience locally ? do you think they are much cheaper overseas ? better stock ? what is your reason ?

thanks for the recommendations, they are very helpful and you definitely seem to know what you are talking about.

do you wear your cushion much ?
i am looking for a big rb with good specs and there is no way i will be getting one for under 60, hence cant understand your score for 25,30 gran. if you do a search for the cost of yours, nothing comes up cause its too low for that size stone.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, antique stones are often cheaper than modern cuts. I would have been around 3 carats for a modern RBC at the same price.

Overseas diamonds are much cheaper - I think it's because there are very few cutters working in Australia, so Australian retailers have to pay an extra middle man themselves. Plus the cost of running a business down here is so comparatively high - wages, rent, store furnishings, everything. If you buy from a predominantly online retailer, they don't have those costs to recover through increased pricing.

I also find that most Australiam diamond retailers really have no clue about cut quality or antique stones. I don't like purchasing from someone who isn't informed of their own trade, you know?

I didn't realize you were wanting a modern cut RBC - my stone is an antique cushion, so I gave you antique vendor recommendations. If you want a modern stone, I'd consider trying different vendors. Good Old Gold, Brian Gavin Diamonds, maybe James Allen (who perhaps offers the best value for money, but requires more work to sort the good stones from the bad).

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hey JG!

How is Poppy and how are you going getting gloves over her at work? :cheeky:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Hey HOT - thanks for checking up on us. Poppy is WONDERFUL, I still ogle her constantly. :naughty: I repeatedly tell DH that she's the best gajillion dollars I've ever spent. :bigsmile: I do wear her often at work, no worries getting gloves over her. But sometimes if I pop into a new lab and they've got limited sizes, I squeeze into XS and that's a bit sore. The overly tight gloves push the ring up against the inside of my middle finger. But honestly, talk about first world problems... :lol:

We need to organize a Perth GTG. :))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mhbc, I realize you are new but I would venture to say that 'most' and if not most then 'many' users of Pricescope have purchased at least one gem online. Pretty much all of my diamonds and gems are from online. As ginger said, you just have to find the right dealer to work with. And make sure you have your CC protection and all that but really, these vendors are reputable. Not all of them out there are of course, but I have not been disappointed with a PS-recommended vendor in terms of quality of stones etc typically. So, welcome and take a look around... I actually got my 3c old european cut diamond from Adam at Old World Diamonds and love working with him, he's seriously amazing...so totally second that recommend that as well. JBEG is awesome as well for old stones, between the two of them I feel like PS'ers have so many options for old cuts. A few other vendors dabble as well but for variety and ease of use, depending on what you are looking for, those are fantastic. For modern stones, I'd recommend Whiteflash and GoodOldGold, but take a look around and you'll see lots of options from PS'ers.

Ginger, I still love Poppy!! I admit to lately wishing I could have gone 4c, but my budget just wouldn't allow it. Maybe in a year or two...HEE!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mhbc1234|1348181483|3271913 said:
i still cant believe you buy your diamonds online, that seems crazy. can i ask why ? have you had a bad experience locally ? do you think they are much cheaper overseas ? better stock ? what is your reason ?

I've purchased several stones online from PS recommended vendors because they offer MUCH more information about cut quality (which is of utmost importance). In my experience, local establishments tend to downplay the technologies used to evaluate light performance, whereas to me it gives me peace of mind. Also locals here tend to play along the lines of "it sparkles more if it is higher color and clarity", which is BS. Just a line to get more $ in their pocket, since color and clarity are things they can charge for.

The online vendors recommended here on PS more often than not have actual storefronts too; they aren't just "drop-shippers". It's just that they offer more information about the stone's actual light performance than many local B&M's are able / willing to offer. And CUT QUALITY is king! :)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Mara - don't worry, I have a solution. We can swap rings on a yearly basis. I'll get my OEC fix, and you'll get 10mm. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mhbc, just to give you an idea, a member here is currently looking at a 3 ct. H VS2 excellent cut modern round brilliant for $50,000 USD. We have many members here from other countries who buy in the US because of better prices for higher quality diamonds.

I will second Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash. Good Old Gold is an established jewelry stone so it is not quite the same as just buying online. They also provide great analysis on stones' light performance for the buyer, which is very rare. WhiteFlash also carries top quality round brilliants, and while they started out as an online diamond vendor, they now also have a local store in Texas. I have bought diamonds from both and recommend them without reservation.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1348316272|3272747 said:
Hey HOT - thanks for checking up on us. Poppy is WONDERFUL, I still ogle her constantly. :naughty: I repeatedly tell DH that she's the best gajillion dollars I've ever spent. :bigsmile: I do wear her often at work, no worries getting gloves over her. But sometimes if I pop into a new lab and they've got limited sizes, I squeeze into XS and that's a bit sore. The overly tight gloves push the ring up against the inside of my middle finger. But honestly, talk about first world problems... :lol:

We need to organize a Perth GTG. :))

Honestly, every time I squeeze into a pair of gloves at work I think 'how does she do it?!' :cheeky: I'm glad it's not that bad! ::)

Yes a gtg is in order, perhaps before the end of the year we can get something organized!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1348349359|3272957 said:
Mara - don't worry, I have a solution. We can swap rings on a yearly basis. I'll get my OEC fix, and you'll get 10mm. :bigsmile:

Girl don't tempt me!! lol. You may never get Miss P back!

mhbc1234

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone’s help here. It is much appreciated. IT IS a great community here :)
Do places like james allen and good ol gold do trade ins with other diamond i have, for example could i trade my diamond ring in to them (that wasn’t purchased from them ?) and get a credit for it to purchase my new ring ?
Do some people make a holiday out of it ? go overseas to get a diamond and have a holiday at the same time ?
Is it recommended to get them to set the diamond or do you bring the loose diamond back to a local jeweller to get set ?
And obviously when you buy online, you will need to go to any local jeweller to get it cleaned.

Thanks !

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is easily my favorite ring EVER on PS!!! Congrats!! I think the setting is perfection with your gorgeous stone!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
JustGinger- first CONGRATS on winning the 1k for the Xmas giveaway! :appl:
I have a quick question about your ring so I apologize if you already answered this somewhere else. I thought I look carefully through everything, but I'm guessing I missed it. Can you tell me the measurement of your diamond? I'm looking for something similar with finger coverage but my finger size (6). Thanks in advance!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1355875937|3335119 said:
I have a quick question about your ring so I apologize if you already answered this somewhere else. I thought I look carefully through everything, but I'm guessing I missed it. Can you tell me the measurement of your diamond? I'm looking for something similar with finger coverage but my finger size (6). Thanks in advance!

Stats on the stone are in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-it.175686/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-it.175686/[/URL]

Dimensions: 11.16 x 10.37 x 6.82

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1355879463|3335172 said:

Stats on the stone are in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-it.175686/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-it.175686/[/URL]

And Poppy is on a ring size of 3.5. :o

She is my hero. :cheeky:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1355902223|3335366 said:

And Poppy is on a ring size of 3.5. :o

She is my hero. :cheeky:

Thanks Ladies!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I seriously covet poppy. :love: And the size 3.5 finger.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
I seriously covet poppy. :love: And the size 3.5 finger.
Ditto and ditto.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

These dimensions are incorrect. They were the original stats from Adam, but he must have misread his notes. The correct measurements are around 10.3 square. She's only about .02-.03 taller than she is wider.

I have no idea what sort of measurements you would need to replicate the same finger coverage on a size 6. This ring is actually a 3.25. I'm guessing an equivalent size will be ginormous. :$$): :wink2:

D

Deactivated member 42515

justginger|1356058715|3336953 said:

These dimensions are incorrect. They were the original stats from Adam, but he must have misread his notes. The correct measurements are around 10.3 square. She's only about .02-.03 taller than she is wider.

I have no idea what sort of measurements you would need to replicate the same finger coverage on a size 6. This ring is actually a 3.25. I'm guessing an equivalent size will be ginormous. :$$): :wink2:
You know how people bring in pictures of celebrities and say "I want HER nose"
I will be bringing in a picture of your hand and say "Give me HER finger size."

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is where Madelise comes in! I had to do proportional guestimates for my coveted stone size!

A size 3.25 is 14.25 mm in diameter. 10.3mm diamond takes up 72.28% of Ginger's finger real estate.
A size 6 ring is 16.51 mm in diameter. To get the same 72.28% coverage, Sarah, you would need a 11.93 mm stone.

HTH :))

D

Deactivated member 42515

madelise said:
Oh, this is where Madelise comes in! I had to do proportional guestimates for my coveted stone size!

A size 3.25 is 14.25 mm in diameter. 10.3mm diamond takes up 72.28% of Ginger's finger real estate.
A size 6 ring is 16.51 mm in diameter. To get the same 72.28% coverage, Sarah, you would need a 11.93 mm stone.

Ooh ooh! Do me! Do me! You're like a magic sorcerer!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1356080076|3337085 said:

Clever! I dub thee: resident ratio mathematician. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results