shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I wrong to feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
OLD THREAD OLD THREAD OLD THREAD OLD THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is a hot topic, let's start a NEW one!!!
9.gif
9.gif
23.gif

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Because this is such an OLD THREAD I have no problem saying that this thread makes me want to puke.
"My husbands salary will tripple in the next few year because he is going to make partner at his firm"
"My children (should I chose to have any) will be educated in England"

Blah Blah Blah
I am not a person that gets worked up too easily but this thread and that woman just make me want to hit some one.
What happend to the old idea that the e-ring is a simbol of you love - not a marker of your social standing!

Sorry for that rant - I will go back to being my normal calm self again now.

Mike

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I''m having an ICY WHITE DIAMONDS attack here...BR I was SO just about to post that same thing you did!! HAHA.

icefisher

Rough_Rock
Personally I''m glad that this OLD THREAD has been resurrected. Thanks to it I now understand why I get these hunger pangs whenever I see my neighbors out collecting berries and firewood.
18.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
It may be an old thread, but it''s still a current theme. There is always someone with a bigger, better diamond and there are always those with smaller, less quality diamonds, and some without any at all.

I had the same feelings as Prose a year into my marriage when my coworkers were getting engaged and they were five years younger with diamonds at least twice the size of mine. I almost felt silly for how proud I had been of my ring and that I had somehow "settled" for less than. I had barely been in a jewelry store when we got engaged and thought 1/3 or 1/2 carat was absolutely huge until others were getting 1++ carats. Later on the focus went away from diamonds as everyone settled into the business of married life, but I have to admit that for awhile I did tend to notice A LOT what other women had on their hands. Size does matter to some degree, whether or not we want to admit it, or no one would ever feel the need to upgrade, and certainly there would be no diamond message boards like this one.

As far as the guy(s) who is(are) disgusted by all this, I''ll bet they are competitive in one area or another. Maybe it''s cars, grades or class standing, careers, or the big screen tv (lets not even get into lawn tools). Everyone has something they are into and place values on.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is always going to be bigger and better rings. I know this is an old thread but I just had to comment on Mara''s response about SF. My parents are in a long legal battle over an eviction with someone who was renting their house and according to SF standards (or at least the court) mid-$30,000 is considered poverty level!!!!
32.gif
We couldn''t believe it!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I am suddenly feeling so grateful to live where I do and not feel like I have to compete with others (too blatantly anyway!)
It would be easy for me to accuse the original poster of being shallow or materialistic, but that would be unfair because sometimes I compare my ring/house/etc to other people''s, even if it is on a different scale. I''m not proud of having those thoughts and I try not to!
In the end it is really about the people in our lives and the experiences, which isn''t something you can buy.

stermag

Shiny_Rock
I know this is an old thread and many would rather see it die, so I apologize for bumping it yet again, but I felt compelled to comment.

Big diamond rings are an enviable thing. So are nice cars and lucrative jobs, luxury homes and perfect bodies - some less, others more difficult to attain. But I think that our desire to have those things doesn''t stem simply from wanting a $100,000 engagement ring. If you and your fiance were the only two people in the world, would you care? If he bought you a 3ct ring but you could never show it to anyone else, would you care? No, of course you wouldn''t. Why? Because our desire for things is born out of our desire to BE ENVIED and not simply, as many mistakenly believe, out of our desire for objects.

Now, since we have established that what humans really want is to be envied, let me tell you what the MOST ENVIABLE thing in the world is! It is quite simply HAPPINESS!

Don''t believe me? Imagine you work with a woman (or a guy if you''re a male). She isn''t particularly good looking (perhaps even ugly) and is engaged to an equally ordinary guy who gave her a tiny diamond ring. They live in a perfectly average house and drive 10 year old cars, but every day you see her with a smile on her face, she seems to truly enjoy life and even her seemingly mundane job. She never complains about her relationship, and every other Friday, she signs for a flower delivery from her SO. So... what are you thinking?

You''re thinking "what the hell? why is she so happy? what''s she so happy about? what has she got that I don''t? She''s fatter than me, has a smaller engagement ring than me and yet she seems so satisfied with it all. What gives?"

If you want to be the envy of all those around you, simply find a way to love your life, your husband, your family and even your job. If you cannot find it within yourself to love any of those things, change one or change all, but don''t think that having the biggest diamond in the world is going to make up for what you are obviously lacking...

Amen! (and I''m not even religious :) )

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Well said, Stermag!!! Great little story... I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results