shape
carat
color
clarity

All these lovely purply-blues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 10:32:51 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I''ve been under a spell on insomnia lately. I used to try to read when that happened, but I''m a compulsive reader and if I start something, I usually can''t sleep until I finish it, heh. So instead, photoshop!

beautiful!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This article mentions naturally blue tanzanite towards the end. It also explains about coated tanzanites and how to remove these coatings.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s funny to me how different the color looks depending on what monitor I''m seeing the stone on. It looks much darker and grey on my Hp touchscreen, looks much nicer on the Dell LCD screens at school...Gene says he has a Mac..I should hunt one down to see if I can see what he sees..haha.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even two monitors of the same brand may show colours differently, depending on how they are balanced (some stores use this to make the cheap flat screens look worse than the more expensive ones...). The best thing would be to buy a device that calibrates your monitor for you. Calibrated screens willl show the same colours.
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I should bug all our fav gem cutters to post all their calibration settings..
31.gif

Thanks for the article post! I really do love naturally colored stones that are unheated and untreated, it's just romantic to think that they came out of the ground that way, and are only altered from cutting. It's kind of the reason I like stones that have some inclusions, it's like a birthmark of natures forces.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, can''t wait to see the tanzanite IRL photos. I love tanz and would love to have a pendant. I think it''s the deep space color, it makes me daydream.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 5:12:42 PM
Author: litebrite
Ooh, can''t wait to see the tanzanite IRL photos. I love tanz and would love to have a pendant. I think it''s the deep space color, it makes me daydream.

I''ve actually never seen a tanzanite in person, so I''m excited! I agree, I like the deeper colors better too. I think if I wanted bright blue, I''d just go with a sapphire.

I think it''d look smashing in Sally''s Mistral setting too.

il_430xN.58294047.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was leaning towards ring more than pendant, but I have to say, I adore this design, it''s just so pretty! It''s an earring, but I''m sure it would work as a pendant.

il_430xN.58284898.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think the tanzanite would be fabulous in a pendant, including the mistral version. It''s a big rock for a small finger, and it would also help with the softness not to wear it in a ring.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 6:22:20 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I think the tanzanite would be fabulous in a pendant, including the mistral version. It's a big rock for a small finger, and it would also help with the softness not to wear it in a ring.

I know..I just can't admire it as easily when it's on my neck
3.gif
But you're right, it should be a pendant.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, still have to see the stone! hehe.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit, I like the color of Gene''s tanzie. Its quite lovely and on my screen (its calibrated, i have to keep it that way) I can see the the purple amongst the blue.

That will make an excellent pendant
36.gif

The spinel is blah... way too gray.

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Arcadian! I''ll be sure to post pics when it comes, I really hope you can see both purple and blue at the same time!

When you say it''s "calibrated", how did you decide what settings/values to calibrate it to?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am no expert on calibrating screens, but I believe it is done to an outside standard. For example, pure blue should be at this wavelength, pure red at this other.

sapphire.panda

Rough_Rock
Check out the tanzanite Dana at mastercutgems.com just added to his website:

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5745

master.cut.tanzanite.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really pretty blue. Maybe litebrite would be interested in it!
The reason I haven''t bought a tanzanite yet is because they''re almost always heated (like dana''s), even though the color is gorgeous, I just prefer to buy unheated rocks.

That is a really pretty tanzanite from Dana though, and he says he has more of that rough, so we''ll probably be seeing more pretty pieces from him!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
MTG you have always been au'' natural..cool to know all your stones are striaght out of the ground with no heating or treatments. any idea of when the new tanzy wuill be there..to bad express shipping is so expensive..
1.gif
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 7:46:42 PM
Author: amethystguy
MTG you have always been au'' natural..cool to know all your stones are striaght out of the ground with no heating or treatments. any idea of when the new tanzy wuill be there..to bad express shipping is so expensive..
1.gif
1.gif

Haha, drawing the line at heating is somewhat arbitrary, I know. If I really wanted to be au natural I guess I"d just wear the crystals, but alas I love the faceting! I think I like the unheated stones because I spend all day learning about all the synthetic drugs and appliances we put in people.

Stone should be here Saturday I''m guessing, not sure if Gene even shipped it, though it''s marked as sold.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 5:45:03 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

I've actually never seen a tanzanite in person, so I'm excited! I agree, I like the deeper colors better too. I think if I wanted bright blue, I'd just go with a sapphire.

I think it'd look smashing in Sally's Mistral setting too.
That would be just STUNNING. Love the cut you're getting and that ring would make it really stand out!
9.gif

ETA: of course I understand why you might skip this setting and put it in a pendant, SIGH.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question for those of you who've bought from Gene before, does he usually send an email when he ships something? I don't wait to nag him about it, but I'm trying to guess when it'll arrive
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Stone MTG!!!! I love tanzanites - even heated ones
11.gif
well anyhoot, Can''t wait to see it!
36.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
MTG, he emailed me to let me know he was going to ship it and then I emailed him this morning to see when he thought it would arrive (I needed to know
9.gif
if by needed I mean really wanted to...). Do you know when to expect it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results