shape
carat
color
clarity

All these lovely purply-blues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
..had me wanting one for myself! I''ve kind of taken a fancy to this one, and yes, there''s a big ol inclusion, but I don''t think I would mind that much (though I''d have to see it in person to be sure).

I''m mostly waffling because it''s a tanzanite and I hear those are a horror to set and maintain.

bluenesses.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there''s this one from Michael, but I think I like the darker, moodier color better.

TanzPear1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could save myself the trouble, and go with spinel, less worries about scratching/chipping etc..

bbs.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you don''t want a pendant? That bright pear would make a lovely one.

Yes, tanzanites are not the easiest stones to have, but if you''d wear it only once in a while it shouldn''t be a problem even in a ring. A low profile and a protective setting can help too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like the cut and colour of the first stone.

I like the Michael E stone, but I find it less unusual.

I don''t like the spinel. It seems greyish and dull to me, and the cut is not really inspired.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the top one best-I think the color is gorgeous and I like the cut of it.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 11:24:51 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
I really like the cut and colour of the first stone.

I like the Michael E stone, but I find it less unusual.

I don''t like the spinel. It seems greyish and dull to me, and the cut is not really inspired.

Ditto. Fun project!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the top one the best too, it's also unheated, which makes it kind of special in my mind because I strongly prefer gemstones au natural. I wouldn't really want a tanzanite that looks like a sapphire, I want one that looks like a tanzanite
3.gif
So the stronger the triclorism the better I say! I"m also just dying to do something in rose gold! And I think the darker, more purple color would lend itself better to that.

But I so rarely wear wear pendants in a conscious sense. I usually just have one that I wear everyday all the time, because I forget it's there and never take it off, haha. Currently that pendant is my WF pendant, before, it was my aqua briolette. I wore the aqua for like 3 years straight, and noticed when I finally took it off, that I had dinged it..whoops.

I hear that even wiping off a tanzanite with the wrong kind of cloth can scratch it though, yikes!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Tanz ring and am very gentle with it. Have had it for years and only wear it sometimes. Last time I checked it I noticed it has a scratch, that only I would notice. Ah well. I say buy it baby it and enjoy it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2009 2:28:27 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I have a Tanz ring and am very gentle with it. Have had it for years and only wear it sometimes. Last time I checked it I noticed it has a scratch, that only I would notice. Ah well. I say buy it baby it and enjoy it!

Ooo, do you have a pic of it anywhere?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I was googling about tanzanites, and saw this. I cringe to think what those tanzanites looked like at the end of the night
39.gif

"This sandal is worth of $2 million sandal from Stuart Weitzman that was sported at the Le Vian party in Las Vegas. The silver leather designer heels 28 carats of diamonds with an astounding 185 carats of tanzanite. The frontage strip have slim belt of diamonds with fitted profound tanzanite to curve around the ankle with a 16 carat pear-shaped tanzanite ."

tzshoes.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
hey MTG..I like the top stone and the second one..i usually shoot for the flasher blues but that top one is not bad...how do you know it''s not heated? 98% of all tanzanites dug out of the ground are heated after they are cut into gems..i wouldn''t trust anyone unless they were 30 meters down in the hole and dug through the graphite and pulled that stone out..if it was the greenish-gold color yea but that one..it''s very iffy..I would snag that top one up..let us know what you get
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2009 11:36:30 PM
Author: amethystguy
hey MTG..I like the top stone and the second one..i usually shoot for the flasher blues but that top one is not bad...how do you know it''s not heated? 98% of all tanzanites dug out of the ground are heated after they are cut into gems..i wouldn''t trust anyone unless they were 30 meters down in the hole and dug through the graphite and pulled that stone out..if it was the greenish-gold color yea but that one..it''s very iffy..I would snag that top one up..let us know what you get
1.gif

I don''t know it''s not heated since I didn''t go to Tanzania myself, but Gene did, and I trust him. There''s also a some grey to it which probably would have been burned off it had been heated. Anyways, I''m excited to see it, the pleochromism sounds like so much fun!

I remembered this photo that gene posted of a previous unheated tanzanite he had cut, which I thought was just lovely! I''m hoping this one has similar merits. Will let you know when it comes.

pleotz.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! I''m glad you came to a decision! I can''t wait to see it!

(BTW, did you ever find your spinel pendant?)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you got Gene's tanzanite? That spinel really looks pretty bad; gray and dull.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 11:02:44 PM
Author: FrekeChild
YAY! I''m glad you came to a decision! I can''t wait to see it!

(BTW, did you ever find your spinel pendant?)

Thanks Freke :) Hehe the color kind of reminds me of your shoes...

And no, I think the pendant is lost for good
7.gif
No sign of it..sniffle.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
oh well you hadn''t said it was genes stone..well then I would agree that it''s unheated..he has good connections over there and knows what he is getting..sorry about that MTG..didn''t know it was gene''s
8.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 11:08:56 PM
Author: Chrono
So you got Gene's tanzanite? That spinel really looks pretty bad; gray and dull.

Haha yes, I broke under the lure of the unheated tanzanite. And gene's cutting looks amazing from pics I've seen here, so I'm looking forward to what it looks like in person. There is some grey in the tanz as well, but I'm hoping it's not too distracting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 11:11:31 PM
oh well you hadn't said it was genes stone..well then I would agree that it's unheated..he has good connections over there and knows what he is getting..sorry about that MTG..didn't know it was gene's
8.gif

Haha, no worries, it's nice to know you're looking out for me! A little skepticism is a healthy thing I think for an informed consumer.
1.gif

But I do trust him, so if he says it's unheated, I'll take his word on it.

An aside: I'm surprised more people haven't commented on those shoes. 185ct of tanzanite! Apparently they are the world's most expensive sandals at 2 mill.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 11:11:31 PM
oh well you hadn''t said it was genes stone..well then I would agree that it''s unheated..he has good connections over there and knows what he is getting..sorry about that MTG..didn''t know it was gene''s
8.gif
Am Guy,
If you hang around here long enough, you''ll start to recognize each cutter''s signature style.
9.gif
I could tell right away it''s a Gene stone. I can also spot a Barry stone pretty easily as well.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 11:16:00 PM
Am Guy,

If you hang around here long enough, you''ll start to recognize each cutter''s signature style.
9.gif
I could tell right away it''s a Gene stone. I can also spot a Barry stone pretty easily as well.

So true, haha. It''s their photo taking style as much as their cutting I think. Barry has a distinctive look to his photos, as does Gene.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you are getting it..some handshots will be nice when it gets there..maybe the Dorothy of the 21st century would have tanzanite shoes instead of ruby slippers

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
I think we all are too stunned to even think about commenting on them. I guess the wearer might have to be carried around in those shoes. Can I wear it around my neck?
25.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 11:18:20 PM
MTG,

I think we all are too stunned to even think about commenting on them. I guess the wearer might have to be carried around in those shoes. Can I wear it around my neck?
25.gif

Apparently they were designed and worn for a LeVian showcase. I wouldn't be surprised if all the model did was stand on a pedestal in the shoes.

I do hope they recycled the gems into a necklace or something. I don't think such lovely soft stones belong on feet! I know if I had shoes like that, I'd be running into everything as I walked since I'd be too busy admiring my feet, haha.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2009 3:10:13 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 9/26/2009 2:28:27 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Ooo, do you have a pic of it anywhere?
No it was WAY before PS when I bought it and while I like it I rarely wear it because of durability issues with Tanz.

Maybe it should have it's own thread...

ETA: I'm glad you got the stone! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I say start a thread! I love pictures!

This will be the biggest stone I've gotten to date, it's 9 x 7.5, which is big for someone who wears a sz 5.5!

Here is the description (which I should have posted earlier, duh)
"Tanzanite - 2.77 ct. The color on this stone is a pretty blue in daylight, and going to a violet purple in incandescent light. This one has not been heated, it's a natural blue stone. These natural blue stones show a much stronger trichlorism than a heated stone will."

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed that..you guys will post a stone and talk about it with no mention of the cutter..everyone seems to be taking about it like they know..now i see you just recogize the cut and I am sure the pic style to a certain degree

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2009 11:20:19 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 9/28/2009 11:18:20 PM

MTG,

25.gif

Apparently they were designed and worn for a LeVian showcase. I wouldn''t be surprised if all the model did was stand on a pedestal in the shoes.

I do hope they recycled the gems into a necklace or something. I don''t think such lovely soft stones belong on feet! I know if I had shoes like that, I''d be running into everything as I walked since I''d be too busy admiring my feet, haha.
Me too!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been under a spell on insomnia lately. I used to try to read when that happened, but I''m a compulsive reader and if I start something, I usually can''t sleep until I finish it, heh. So instead, photoshop!

kwrgtz.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Yum
1.gif
Is there a similar excuse for being unable to work and reading PS instead?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results