shape
carat
color
clarity

All the negative publicity for Rotties

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2007 2:24:25 PM
Author: Mara
cute pup!!

i have to say that while i agree with ''no bad dogs only bad owners'' i do think that many breeds have traits inherent to the breed which have been bred in over years and years of time. you cannot just raise a dog ''the right way'' and never have those traits rear their heads in my opinion.

i have a westie bred to hunt small vermin. she''s an exceptional dog, trained, listens, can be off leash. but if she sees a small squirrel or cat zip across the street, she will go after it. i can call after her all i want, pull out her favorite treat, whatever. she is entirely in her own ''zone'' and it''s because of her background and breeding.

i know this and i try to act accordingly with her, aka just be aware of your breed''s history. so many owners think oh i have a wonderful dog, they would never do XYZ. but dogs are unpredictable and can surprise you. i often think about that gal, i can''t remember her name, but she is in SF i think, and her story has made the news multiple times, about how her pet dog, which i think was a doberman or something, mauled her while she slept, and she recently got facial reconstructive surgery to fix so many things wrong with her face from the attack. i''m sure she never thought her pet would do that to her while she slept.

i also have read multiple stories to underscore the unpredictability of dogs...one of which always sticks in my head, about a rott or pitbull, can''t remember, but it was a family pet, raised from pupdom, great dog, raised with 2 kids...no problems, etc etc..then one day the dog was alone with the new baby and the baby was in one of those automated swing things. the dog was left alone with the baby for a few minutes, never had a problem before, ends up attacking, mauling the baby and i think, killing it. perfect family dog, never had any issues or shown any aggression. but something about that swinging baby, the activity, whatever, woke something up in the dog that was dormant for years, bred in many years ago, and it was bad times from then on.

so anyway, not to be a negative nelly but i think that awareness is the most important thing when you are a pet owner. know your breed, what it''s positives and negatives might be, and know your dog as well. i honestly don''t think we''d have a pet in our family that had a history like many rotts or pits just because of that unpredictability factor. there are fabulous wonderful specimens of those breeds out there for sure...but i am just too ''realistic'' about things like that. just like i would probably not let my dog off the leash next to a street where lots of cats and squirrels run around, i know she''d jet across if she saw something, and not listen to me and i''d lose her or have her killed by a car in an instant. and this is the sweetest most loving dog, she WANTS to please us. but she sees that zipping animal and something in her mind clicks and she''s no longer ''our pet'' but instead a hunter.

just my thoughts...

As an animal lover, I totally agree with this. Dogs have inherent behaivors that we cannot control. If I were to get a large dog it would probably be a rottie, however, I could not do it because of their tendencies. I do think that ownership can greatly impact a dog''s behavior, however if a dog is bred to do something then it is likely to exhibit those behaviors - which may or may not be good - as Mara as pointed out with her cutie.

Personally, I have pugs. They have been bred for centuries to be companion animals and that''s what they are. They love to be loved. They are lazy, snorty, gassy and they shed a lot. But I love them.

I do like large breeds - even breeds that are prone to attack - but will not have one in my house. When I have children they will not be allowed to be around breeds that are prone to attack because it is too much of a risk. A child is more important than a dog.

I also agree with whoever said that if you have an attack-prone breed then it should be muzzled when out in public. Dogs are animals (even if they are a member of your family) but are still animals that we ultimately cannot control.

Jess

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, here's "Toby". He's a love-bucket, that's for sure.

He's very sweet, and quite mellow and un-hyper. But he is a four-month old puppy! He was given up for adoption by an absolutely heartbroken family who were forced to do it...had to move, or something. He's only known love in his short life.

If it weren't for Widget, I'd grab him in a minute. I'm taking her over to meet him later today, and we'll see how it goes. She's ten, spoiled, and now used to being the queen of the roost. I suspect her getting used to a big, goofy puppy in the family might be hard. (Won't be easy for me, either!! LOL)

Toby's only been available for adoption for a day or two, and already three families are lined up who want him. So if I chicken out, he won't be a shelter dog long.

Here's his picture....don't you think he looks more like a rottie than a pit bull?

widget

000_4944.JPG

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh Widget - what a handsome boy!! He sounds like such a love too
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I''ll keep my fingers crossed that your queen of the roost takes to him!
36.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2007 5:12:32 PM
Author: widget
Well, here''s ''Toby''. He''s a love-bucket, that''s for sure.

He''s very sweet, and quite mellow and un-hyper. But he is a four-month old puppy! He was given up for adoption by an absolutely heartbroken family who were forced to do it...had to move, or something. He''s only known love in his short life.

If it weren''t for Widget, I''d grab him in a minute. I''m taking her over to meet him later today, and we''ll see how it goes. She''s ten, spoiled, and now used to being the queen of the roost. I suspect her getting used to a big, goofy puppy in the family might be hard. (Won''t be easy for me, either!! LOL)

Toby''s only been available for adoption for a day or two, and already three families are lined up who want him. So if I chicken out, he won''t be a shelter dog long.

Here''s his picture....don''t you think he looks more like a rottie than a pit bull?

widget
I see both Rotti & Pitt if that''s his mix.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2007 5:44:07 PM
Author: VegasAngel

I see both Rotti & Pitt if that's his mix.
They're calling him a rotti/lab.

Anyway....I've decided to pass. Widget exhibited zero tolerance of his puppyish invitations to play, and snapped at him everytime he started to get a little rough. Maybe if he'd been a bit older, and a little more respectful (of canine senior citizens), it would have worked out.

Sigh...I don't think I'll be getting another dog while she's around...

Happily, the next family on the list...one with older kids...is eagerly waiting to hear what my decision is. Toby will be in a good home very soon.

widget

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Lab? Hmm. He''s got a lot of white on his chest for a lab/rott. Sorry Wdget doesnt want a new friend. Thats how my old BT gal was towards new dogs especially puppies, they really irritated her. He is a lucky one having several interested families, hopefully he''ll find a forever home.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget, if you change your mind and do decide to get another dog I have a 6 month old door-frame-chewin'' sheet-eatin'' pillow-devouring mutt of the purest kind you can have!
2.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20110841/
38.gif
38.gif

Did you guys hear about this?. He owned some Filas (the breed my dad has). This is so sad...I can''t imagine being killed like that
7.gif

Widget, that little guy looks so precious!. I''m glad you decided to test him out with widget first though. It''s good to know he will go to a new home!. To your initial question, it looks more like a pitt to me.

M~

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
That puppy. is. so cute. Look at that FACE!!!
Sorry it didn''t work out!

Here''s the other 2 I have of ours, thankfully they are not "faddish" enough in the US to be used as fight dogs,really.
Sake getting ready to kick back with the remote and watch some cartoons:

sakedoofus.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Mahrette looking all showdoggy, instead of the hyper licking maniac she usually was ;-)

mahrettenoble.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
OMG, they are too cute RT!!!!

I love the one sitting on the couch...haha, too funny. One of my dad''s filas (one that''s no longer with us
7.gif
) couldn''t see anyone sitting in indian position because she would immediately want to come as use you as a chair...hehe, I don''t know where she got that from, but it was hilarious.

M~

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Awww...there are some very cute puppies on here!

One other thing that I would like to add to this discussion is based on my experience owning a Rottie when I was a teenager. As other people have said, owning a high-risk breed comes with certain responsibilities, and one of those is being conscious of how other people are going to react to your dog. The same person can watch a Rottie and a Cocker Spaniel do exactly the same thing and respond in completely different ways. People are often scared of large dogs that they think are "dangerous", and sometimes they just do silly things.

When my Rottie was a puppy, she escaped from the yard one afternoon and entertained herself by merrily chasing squirrels around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes. She was only about a year old, but she was already 100+ pounds. I found her in the neighbor''s yard, standing with her front paws against their tree and barking at a squirrel that she had been chasing. And there is the neighbor, standing behind her, hitting her over the head with her shoe!!
29.gif
Seriously lady, it''s a squirrel, and my dog is nowhere near it!! As I ran over to retrieve my dog and apologize, the woman looked completely white-faced and shaky. She was obviously terrified of my super-sweet teddy bear dog.

Anyway, the point of the story is that people sometimes react out of pure fear, and they do silly things. If my dog would have turned around and bit her in self-defense, I would have had to put her down. Just as important as being aware of your dog''s tendencies toward other people/animals, is being aware of other people''s tendencies toward your dog.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG BigDiamonds I would have done something unmentionable to that woman!! Hitting YOUR dog who was not IN ANY WAY threatening her or a family members well being?!?!?!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

It really amazes me the things people feel are OK to do to animals...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I love all the photos! Such wonderful faces!

We rescued a pair of sisters-my first impression was that they were Pitt. My vet said they weren't enough to be considered pitt. But every one that sees them say pitt or rott. I see lab, sheppard, sheltie...honest. I see no rott.

We don't encourage or train them to be...but they were just so glad to be rescued they are sooo protective of us. You can say they are vicious-to strangers. They are extremely protective of my hubby and I...and our property. Remove them from this location and they are cupcakes. Heads up, be sure to call before you pop over!! Hiddy Ho neighbor!! I will try to post a photo so you can see what breed you see...

One other interesting bit of information...Vet said that plastic surgeons that repair maulings on children were all asked which breed was the most reported culprit...

You will never guess the answer.

I will let a few posters guess...for fun.

DKS

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 12:39:10 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
OMG BigDiamonds I would have done something unmentionable to that woman!! Hitting YOUR dog who was not IN ANY WAY threatening her or a family members well being?!?!?!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

It really amazes me the things people feel are OK to do to animals...
Yes, I was pretty angry and offended by it. I know she was doing it because she was scared, but what was she thinking???? SO unnecessary, not to mention dangerous.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Door Knob- interesting question! I''m going to guess that it''s not one of the "obvious" answers (Rottie, Pit Bull, Chow, Akita, etc.)...

How about Labs? The number of them alone could swing the stats, even if as a percentage the biters are rare.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You are right not to guess the obvious contenders...

BUZZZZ...wrong answer on the Lab...contestant try again!

DKS

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
German Shepards?

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Dobermans? Oh, don't keep us in the dark....please tell.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
BUZZ....Contestant Gothgirl...you only have one more answer before we have to say goodbye. Don''t waste your last opportunity on the obvious breeds.
2.gif

DKS

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Is it fair to assume that it is a larger dog? I''m thinking that an attack by a smaller dog wouldn''t require plastic surgery.

How about Goldens?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that assumption is correct. It is not a larger dog.

BUZZ...sorry I like that part...Big Diamonds, sorry. Good try.

DKS

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Schnauzers. My last guess. They seem so high strung, well the one''s I''ve met.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Duh...it is your last guess. You say that like you are giving up...You forgot you were only allocated three guesses... you aren't giving up...you are leaving.

It has been nice having you. There are a few parting gifts...vinyl siding estimate and 12 pieces of all clad cookware, and a case of rice-a- roni.

DKS

Oh BUZZZ

Oh I should have added you were close.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 2:24:24 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Yes, that assumption is correct. It is not a larger dog.

BUZZ...sorry I like that part...Big Diamonds, sorry. Good try.

DKS
I''m sorry, I''m confused (it must be getting late, or I''m just getting slow.) I assumed that it is a large dog...is that incorrect?

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh....thanks for the parting gifts. LOL. Gee this is interesting.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oops you are right I read that wrong. IT IS NOT A LARGER DOG.

Ok GothGrrl...we don't have enough constestants to play...one more guess and then I will reveal...but no more gifts for you.

DKS

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Well that changes everything!
3.gif

My last guess is...poodle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results