shape
carat
color
clarity

A great way to clean diamonds.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 2:24:08 PM
Author: SuzyQZ
Dancing Fire:

Ok, promise you won''t laugh?. When I wash my hands in a public restroom I am very careful to wash my fingers and palms of my hands but try to keep the water off the back of my hand so I don''t get water spots on my rings. When I''m at home, I take off my rings when I wash my hands.

Hope you are not laughing!
Ok.......so did you, Kaleigh and I all hatch from the same egg???? I wash the tips of my fingers in a public restroom and I make sure I don''t get soap anywhere near my ring. If I decide to do a full-hand-washing, I carefully remove my ring, put it in a papertowel and the papertowel in my pants pocket. I''m sure I look like a total freak to anyone watching, but I give new meaning to "anal" and that''s just how I am with my ring.

Heck, I''ve had my new ring since January. It''s Platinum and I''m so careful with my ring that I have yet to put a scratch in it. I know I will put a scratch in my ring, but so far, no scratches.

I am only laughing because I feel like we must be related...........LOL

And to Kim''s question......many people have both an ultrasonic and a steamer. I don''t get anything goopy on my ring and since as you now know, I clean my ring multiple times a steamer was my preferred toy. I feel if you can only buy one, the steamer is the one to have. But that''s just my opinion.

Take care all............

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim either one is fine. Get which ever is cheaper I guess. I have an SI one and it''s great. I just took it on vacation. I know I am such a geek. But all that suntan lotion does get the diamonds dirty!!! My kids roll their eyes at me. Hubby has given up!! Lol!!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh: Thank goodness! I thought I was just too weird. I look pretty funny washing just the palms of my hands and my finger tips! Glad to hear there is someone else out there that does that. Like I said. Only a fellow PS''er would understand!

Kim: The Jewel Jet is probably all you''ll need. I would use an inexpensive jewelry cleaning solution first to get off any oils and grease. Nothing expensive, just something from your local drug store. Later on down the road, you may want to invest in an US, but only if your ring doesn''t have any pave set diamonds. US are not recommended for rings with intricate pave work. Then finish with the Jewel Jet steamer. You''ll love the way your rings sparkle. By the way, a solution of amonia and dish washing liquid mixed with water works great too, if you don''t want to buy jewelry cleaning solution.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more thing. Once it''s clean wipe dry with LINT free TP. I like Cottonelle.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Rod -- You know you are just feeding my neurosis don''t you? Now that I know that what I do is not so odd, I''m just empowered to do it more!!

You gotta love it!
36.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 2:41:25 PM
Author: kaleigh
One more thing. Once it''s clean wipe dry with LINT free TP. I like Cottonelle.
Kaleigh.......just one more reason, I''ve felt a ''kinship'' with you since the day I jointed PS.........
28.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the help. There just seem to be a lot of different products out there, so it''s hard to know what to choose. As for steam cleaners, is the Salton Jewelry Spa any worse than the Jewel Jet? It sounds like more people on PS have the Jewel Jet.

I do have some pave on my ring, and my jeweler has said using a US is okay, but I''m not sure I should I risk it..

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 2:42:58 PM
Rod -- You know you are just feeding my neurosis don''t you? Now that I know that what I do is not so odd, I''m just empowered to do it more!!

You gotta love it!
36.gif
I do love it and have found such a bond with the people I''ve met on PS. This forum helps me get through what are typically pretty stressful work days for me. GOD BLESS PRICESCOPE and friends like you. May your neurosis find solace in the similar neurosis of your friends!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 2:31:13 PM
Author: Kim N

Date: 4/12/2006 2:25:57 PM
Author: kaleigh
Kim I''d get the jewel jet. Does a nice quick job. I have one also. Then down the road buy a US.
Thanks, Kaleigh. Since the Jewel Jet is kind of pricey right now, if I get only a US would you suggest the SI or the Sparkle Spa? I''ve seen excellent reviews of both here on PS, so I guess it doesn''t matter?
Kim
get the jewel jet.it''s only $69 now.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, at $69 dollars it''s worth every penny! I think it''s worth it even at $99. I don''t have any experience with any other steam cleaner, the Jewel Jet does it for me. I didn''t look any farther.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
$69 for the jewel jet is a great price Kim. It''s sooo easy to use. Takes seconds to heat up. It''s a no brainer.

Rod, thank god you joined PS. You make me smile!!!
9.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, DF, please tell me where to get it for $69. I've seen it only at $99, which is why I was hesitating.
1.gif

ETA: Saw DF's post first, but Suzy or Kaleigh, if you could tell me where it's sold for $69 too, I'd appreciate it.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Rod:

As Sally Field might say " I like you, I really, really like you".
(Hope you are not too young to get my pun.)

Kindred spirits -- all us PS''ers.

Hope your day today is better than yesterday, but not as good as it will be tomorrow!

((hugs))

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Hey, I think my reply got glossed over
7.gif

is jewel jet and US as good as going to a local jeweler to have it cleaned? Or are those two completely separate things?

thx for all the insightful information though...you guys ROCK!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 3:12:19 PM
Author: lil_jay78
7.gif

is jewel jet and US as good as going to a local jeweler to have it cleaned? Or are those two completely separate things?

Sorry about that. Yes and no. The jeweler''s steamer is a lot more powerful than the jewel jet. Great to go and get it steamed, have the prongs checked etc... I know because I worked in a jewelry store for years and used the steamer to clean my clients rings and my own of course.
3.gif
The jewel jet is awesome for cleaning at home. But I still like to get my ring professionally steamed every now and then. HTH

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 3:12:19 PM
7.gif

Sorry......I guess it depends on how ''dirty'' your rings typically are. My ring is usually already clean before I steam it. From my vantage point, steaming my ring with my JewelJet makes my ring just as sparkly as when my jeweler steams it.

And Suzy........I''m certainly "old" enough to catch the pun. Hugs right back to you!

And to my friend Kaleigh..........Thanks for letting me know I make you smile. You make me smile too!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Lil_jay 78:

The answer to your question is subjective: According to my perception. I think that using an US and Jewel Jet will give you the best possible cleaning available to home users. The machines that professional jewelers use cost hundreds of dollars if not more. I don''t think anything you can do at home will outperform what the jeweler can do. But the Jewel Jet combined with US is a very, very, close second.

I don''t ever pass up an opportunity to have a jeweler clean my rings. If I go near a jewelry store, I pop in and ask them to clean it. Plus I get to look at nice rings while I wait.

Hope my answer helped you.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
awww, I feel so much better now, he he he :) Suzy, Rod, and Kaleigh; thanks so much for the responses...

How often should she take her ring to the jeweler to have it professionally cleaned and checked?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
For checking your setting:
If it''s prong set. I would go into my jeweler every six months to have the prongs checked. If it''s channel or bezel set, I think once a year is fine. If you notice that your stone is loose. Go in immediately!

For professional cleaning:
As often as you can, whenever you want, as may times as they''ll let you come back, until they start charging you!
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 3:24:26 PM
awww, I feel so much better now, he he he :) Suzy, Rod, and Kaleigh; thanks so much for the responses...

How often should she take her ring to the jeweler to have it professionally cleaned and checked?
Before I had my JewelJet, I took my ring in once a week, but then I''m a total loon and that''s probably overly obsessive. Unless your girlfriend slathers globs of oily goop on her ring every day, occassional cleaning by the jeweler is probably enough. Say, once or so a month.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2006 2:13:17 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 4/12/2006 1:49:08 PM
Question: what is the point of using the steamer if you have to clean it first? I''m not sure how the steamer works.
all depends how dirty my wife''s ring gets. if the rings are really dirty
14.gif
i use the heated US first and then the steamer.my wife loves the steamer b/c she can''t take the smell of ammonia.
Dancing Fire,

Go to Gemcareproducts.com and get her some of those. They are vegitable based and actually smell good. Also they do not leave a film to attract the dirt and grease as quickly as the ammonia based products do.

There have been threads about their products here before I believe. They take the tarnish off the ring as well as clean the stones, and the ammonia products and the steamer do not do that. Maybe the Tool Guy carries them as well, I do not know...

Wink

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
I thought it was bad for jewelry to be cleaned daily. Am I wrong? My girl has this stuff she dips her rings in, but she told me the directions said not to do it often, so she doesn't.

Also, Rod, I believe, said that he takes off his ring every night to sleep. Is that best? I was planning on wearing mine every night.

Sally Field... was that a "Gidget" quote? I really, really liked those shows. I saw them as re-runs, but they were so funny.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 2:53:17 PM
Okay, DF, please tell me where to get it for $69. I''ve seen it only at $99, which is why I was hesitating.
1.gif

ETA: Saw DF''s post first, but Suzy or Kaleigh, if you could tell me where it''s sold for $69 too, I''d appreciate it.
i think someone said there''s a e-bay seller .
20.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 6:26:42 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 4/12/2006 2:53:17 PM
Okay, DF, please tell me where to get it for $69. I've seen it only at $99, which is why I was hesitating.
1.gif

ETA: Saw DF's post first, but Suzy or Kaleigh, if you could tell me where it's sold for $69 too, I'd appreciate it.
i think someone said there's a e-bay seller .
20.gif
sorry I missed that--I see it now. ETA: Don't know how I missed the price and vendor in the original and later posts.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 2:24:08 PM
Dancing Fire:

Ok, promise you won''t laugh?. When I wash my hands in a public restroom I am very careful to wash my fingers and palms of my hands but try to keep the water off the back of my hand so I don''t get water spots on my rings. When I''m at home, I take off my rings when I wash my hands.

Hope you are not laughing!
Suzy
35.gif

ROTFLMAO !!! j/k
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 6:13:34 PM
Author: argh&stuff
I thought it was bad for jewelry to be cleaned daily. Am I wrong? My girl has this stuff she dips her rings in, but she told me the directions said not to do it often, so she doesn''t.

Also, Rod, I believe, said that he takes off his ring every night to sleep. Is that best? I was planning on wearing mine every night.

Sally Field... was that a ''Gidget'' quote? I really, really liked those shows. I saw them as re-runs, but they were so funny.
There''s no reason you can''t clean your jewelery every hour if you choose. Not sure what your girl is dipping her rings in, so I can''t comment on that, but as stated above plain old jewelery cleaner and a soft toothbrush can be used as often as you like.

And yes, I did say I take my ring off at night after it get''s it''s nightly cleaning and it rests in a lovely velvet lined bed and get''s lot''s of rest. Some people wear their rings and never take them off. I''m afraid I''m a bit too anal for that. I flail around at night and it would really upset me to see the scratches I managed to put on my ring in my sleep. No, that won''t work for me at all.

And finally, you saw them in "re-runs." THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR REMINDING US WE"RE OLD FARTS!!
38.gif

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
I was trying to decide between the SI US and the Jewel Jet, and I just bought the JJ on eBay! Yay! I''m excited!
3.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I try to remember to take off my rings when I get home from work, but I DEFINITELY take them off before I go to bed too. I put them in my jar of jewelery cleaner that has no amonia. It''s more like a sudsy water solution. My jeweler gave it to me when I bought my ring. But I think it would even be okay to leave it overnight in a solution of say 1/4 amonia mixed with 3/4 water and a little dishwashing soap.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2006 11:04:26 PM
I try to remember to take off my rings when I get home from work, but I DEFINITELY take them off before I go to bed too. I put them in my jar of jewelery cleaner that has no amonia. It''s more like a sudsy water solution. My jeweler gave it to me when I bought my ring. But I think it would even be okay to leave it overnight in a solution of say 1/4 amonia mixed with 3/4 water and a little dishwashing soap.

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don''t do it. Often the ammonia tarnishes the silver in the metal and leaves a horrible black stain on the gold, especially white gold. NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER leave your ring in ammonia overnight. Sometimes, no problems, but sometimes BIG problems!

Wink

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 12:24:06 AM
Author: Wink

Date: 4/12/2006 11:04:26 PM

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don''t do it. Often the ammonia tarnishes the silver in the metal and leaves a horrible black stain on the gold, especially white gold. NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER leave your ring in ammonia overnight. Sometimes, no problems, but sometimes BIG problems!

Wink
But it is ok to clean with ammonia right? (lord I hope so because I clean my rings with ammonia and water every night). I never leave them in there very long...5 minutes maybe...if not ammonia and water then what??? There are so many threads and that''s what I found the majority of people to be using.

I NEVER sleep with my rings on at night. I may nap with them on occassionally but never to bed all night. I''m anal too Rod LOL...I am too busy tossing and turning all night to worry about what I would be doing to my ring. It''s in a safe place while I sleep
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results