shape
carat
color
clarity

A Cut Above VS Expert Selection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s a shame Matatora. But better be warned now then get something that will only cause you trouble down the road. Let''s hope they come up with a great and safe alternative, or WF saves the day for you!!
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
These are the rings from WF that V and I like. And I will be intreasted in what Facets has to say.

aramislecupidtiffany.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love that ring with the oval in it, and the best part is that those small channels of metal on the outsides will prevent rubbage it looks like, with a flush matching ring. I like that setting much better than the shared prong WF one posted.

Tiffany WF setting is a beautiful classic as well!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused -- Facets is saying that a 2.5 mm band is too thin to support a 1.7 ct stone? I wonder why they didn''t mention that my 2.3 mm band would be too thin to support a 2.3 ct stone??

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 4:36:01 PM
Author: Mara
I absolutely love that ring with the oval in it, and the best part is that those small channels of metal on the outsides will prevent rubbage it looks like, with a flush matching ring. I like that setting much better than the shared prong WF one posted.

Tiffany WF setting is a beautiful classic as well!
That happens to be what attracted our attention. I have tried searching to see if I could find hand pictures of this one, but no luck yet. Have you seen any?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I also love the one that has the oval in it, very pretty.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 4:44:08 PM
Author: Demelza
I''m confused -- Facets is saying that a 2.5 mm band is too thin to support a 1.7 ct stone? I wonder why they didn''t mention that my 2.3 mm band would be too thin to support a 2.3 ct stone??
As am I....and I think SO is feeling a bit stressed bless him.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
As you already know, I''m quite partial to the shared prong WF ring.
2.gif

Those ACA melee are so gorgeous in person!! I''m glad you''re going with WF for the setting!

That rock is amazing!!! I''m so jealous!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Not that you asked, but I like either the setting that the oval is in, or the 6 prong tiffany setting.
2.gif

After having a shared prong setting, I would not want to deal with the issues that come with it again. They''re pretty, but just not for me.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 5:17:03 PM
Author: Jelly
2.gif

Those ACA melee are so gorgeous in person!! I''m glad you''re going with WF for the setting!

I am sorry I wish I could say we are...this is a rock and hard place for V and I.
32.gif
He had decided on the half eternity from facets but they told him it wont work. I ahve an email from David at facets saying they could put a stone .03mm smaller in their 1.7mm band, but that they would not recommend it becuase it would look unattractive.
V is going to speak with them tommorow about what their reasons are for the issues with my stone, if it is looks well that is for him to decide.
I would be fine with getting a WF stock peice but as I said before I simply dont have a comfort level to work with them on this sort of custom peice.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Just so I understand correctly: the band that Facets did not feel comfortable using for your diamond is 1.7 mm? I thought they were objecting to a band that was closer to 2.5 mm.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Sorry the emails were from me and they were referring to a 1.7mm band, where they said structurally it would be find just displeasing to the eye. In the phone call I am not 100% what their reasoning was as I was not on the phone V is calling them back the band he and the gentleman on the phone were discussing was the half eternity found on their site. Hence my confusion, how could it be okay for a 7.77mm stone to rest on a 1.7mm band but not 7.82mm stone on a 2.2mm band.

Does anyone know if WF is a Stuller dealer?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
So, which width band are you hoping for? 1.7 or 2.2?

I believe any jeweler can purchase through Stuller. I don''t think you have to a be a dealer per se.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 10:29:01 PM
Author: Matatora

Does anyone know if WF is a Stuller dealer?

yes they are. I asked Bob about that a while back. I believe he said Stuller is in the same building even...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 10:32:11 PM
Author: Demelza
So, which width band are you hoping for? 1.7 or 2.2?

I believe any jeweler can purchase through Stuller. I don''t think you have to a be a dealer per se.
2.2 after seeing them on my hand that was the size we liked better.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Well, gosh, I can't see 2.2 mm being a problem. My ring was 2.3 mm.

ETA I wonder why they don't think it would look good?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 9:48:33 PM

Date: 11/28/2005 5:17:03 PM
Author: Jelly
2.gif

I am sorry I wish I could say we are...this is a rock and hard place for V and I.
32.gif
He had decided on the half eternity from facets but they told him it wont work. I ahve an email from David at facets saying they could put a stone .03mm smaller in their 1.7mm band, but that they would not recommend it becuase it would look unattractive.
V is going to speak with them tommorow about what their reasons are for the issues with my stone, if it is looks well that is for him to decide.

I would be fine with getting a WF stock peice but as I said before I simply dont have a comfort level to work with them on this sort of custom peice.

Actually what was said before was that you decided against going custom with WF and if people wanted to know why they should PM you...

So can you clarify why you decided against going custom with WF?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I absolutely love that ring with the oval in it, and the best part is that those small channels of metal on the outsides will prevent rubbage it looks like, with a flush matching ring.

... they also leave a bit of girdle exposed between the prongs, and that caused some threads here about chipped rings. I have never heard those indentations have any practical use for wear (they do for the making of these settings), but that doesn't mean anything. I am not very sure of all this either. Both styles should be safe, I guess. It is only this discussion here that made me start looking for some practical difference between the two.

With some doubt over these things, I'd still vote for the bead-set type on the top-left ring. For small diamonds like that, it makes allot of sense, IMO.

I can understand why the larger stones of some eternity bands need individual basket-settings, but something up to 5pts, maybe not. It can't hurt to have a traditional shank under them instead of the honey-comb structure of the other type.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2005 6:31:03 AM
Author: valeria101

I absolutely love that ring with the oval in it, and the best part is that those small channels of metal on the outsides will prevent rubbage it looks like, with a flush matching ring.

... they also leave a bit of girdle exposed between the prongs, and that caused some threads here about chipped rings. I have never heard those indentations have any practical use for wear (they do for the making of these settings), but that doesn''t mean anything. I am not very sure of all this either. Both styles should be safe, I guess. It is only this discussion here that made me start looking for some practical difference between the two.

With some doubt over these things, I''d still vote for the bead-set type on the top-left ring. For small diamonds like that, it makes allot of sense, IMO.

I can understand why the larger stones of some eternity bands need individual basket-settings, but something up to 5pts, maybe not. It can''t hurt to have a traditional shank under them instead of the honey-comb structure of the other type.
Ana could you point me to that thread?
Jeffrey and I would love to have the ring by Winter Holidays but it may not be possible, that is less then three weeks!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Many of you send and receive PMs, a few have even sent me PMs about this thread. I have posted a number of threads about settings in time I have been on Pricescope determined to learn as much as I could before committing to a design I will be wearing daily for the rest of my life.
When I asked about Whiteflash I received a number of PMs, some of which overlapped and warned me of the same things. I became concerned about the things in these PMs and dismissed Whiteflash from my possible choices without offering them the opportunity to respond.
Luckily for me my SO who was also interested is more of a statistician then I and pointed out that Whiteflash would not have a strong positive reputation on here if they did not consistently produce a aesthetically pleasing and durable product. So I contact John with my specific concerns and asked him about the things I had been reading. John was extremely thoughtful and comprehensive with his response. Giving me a great deal of time and energy to someone who had flatly stated that they would not be going with their services.

After discussing further Jeffrey and I have made the decision to have Whiteflash create the setting for my engagement ring. We feel that a company who goes to such lengths to have customer feel comfortable is one we both like to work with.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Bump . . .

Only 16 days ''til Christmas, Mat. Progress?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2005 11:40:09 AM
Author: diamondlil
Bump . . .

Only 16 days ''til Christmas, Mat. Progress?
Well, as Jeffrey and I are in dffrent states (I am in Alabama and he is in up state New York)...not too much is going on. He got photos of the wax this morning
9.gif
which is pretty spiffy! And Lesley has been wonderful about keeping Jeffrey informed, they are hoping to have the ring finished on MONDAY!
36.gif

Thats right MONDAY!!!!! Of course that is finals week, I will be flying home late WED and he will be driving home on Friday. So...yes I am a wee bit excited. The head is the only part we have no pictures of, is the head for the center stone which is being hand made, it will look similair to this one, but with four prongs. I hope he does not hold onto the ring for too long before he gives it to me.
32.gif

I was thinking of starting a new thread with all of the info I have thus far and the wax pictures...but I was not sure if it was too soon. Hmm.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It''s not too soon for me.
2.gif
Is Jeffrey going to email you the wax pics in Alabama? If so, you know you cannot hold out on us. I love seeing the process/progress of custom work.

I hope he does not hold onto the ring too long either. I''m sure it will happen over the holidays. So the two of you will be together as of the 16th, right?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2005 1:38:36 PM
Author: diamondlil
It''s not too soon for me.
2.gif
Is Jeffrey going to email you the wax pics in Alabama? If so, you know you cannot hold out on us. I love seeing the process/progress of custom work.

I hope he does not hold onto the ring too long either. I''m sure it will happen over the holidays. So the two of you will be together as of the 16th, right?
He did indeed send me the photos of the wax, and was forced to listen to me squeal with delight! (The wax is even in Christmas colors...okay I''ve lost it.) He has actually just been forwarding me everything he is sent. Bless him! We will be together late next friday, only 7 days until I get to see him!
9.gif

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/25/2005 3:35:41 PM
So can anyone tell by looking at the IS images which is which?
Maybe you say this later in the thread, but I think the ACA is on the right and the ES is on the left.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2005 1:20:34 PM

I was thinking of starting a new thread with all of the info I have thus far and the wax pictures...but I was not sure if it was too soon. Hmm.
Too soon?!?!? Blasphemy! It''s never too soon (hehe)! Bring on the pictures!
11.gif
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2005 3:14:27 PM
Author: Kerbear560
Date: 12/9/2005 1:20:34 PM

Too soon?!?!? Blasphemy! It''s never too soon (hehe)! Bring on the pictures!
11.gif
31.gif

ditto
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results