shape
carat
color
clarity

A Cut Above VS Expert Selection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
AIIIIGHHHH. Happy Day!!!! What great news!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 3:25:30 PM
Author: kaleigh
Oh wow, how exciting!!! Great choice!!!
36.gif
I am very happy for you Matatora!!!
1.gif
I am so excited I am all but bouncing in my chair!
9.gif
I wonder how long it will take him to pick the setting.
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d be bouncing up and down too!!! He knows what kind of setting you want, right?? Won''t take long I''m sure. It''s going to be gorgeous,
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I narrowed it down to four.
37.gif

I have been acting a bit mental about all of this, and I think I know which one he is going to choose, because we went to the city for the purpose of him seeing it on my hand....but you never know.
This is what we have narrowed it down to, I am happy to leave this part to him.
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=2362
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=2359
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Tiffany-Knife-Edge_792.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Surprise-Diamond-Ring-by-LE_765.htm

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats Mat. You''re going to have a beautiful ring.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That''s wonderful, Mat. Can we have more detail about the diamonds you were comparing?

I love either of the Facets settings -- more bling is always nicer IMO.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have another thread that explains the time line issues in LIW here.
1.722 J/SI1 From GOG
1.533 G/SI2 ACA from WF
1.72 I/SI1 ES From WF

V and I went to GOG on Tuesday and though I had not liked this stone online in person you cannot see though dots. I was amazed...I truely was. The GOG stone is very firey and full of life, I think it helped show V what we have been reading about. Honestly I thought for sure that was the one. WE narrowed it down to the three above and I told him that I would be thrilled with any of the three. Now I have done the same thing with settings.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
All good choices, Mat. When I saw the pic of the GOG stone with all those dots, I can honestly say I was not sure about it though. It''s good that you saw it in person and cannot see the inclusions, because it would be hard to choose that without seeing it. The ES from WF looks outstanding!!!! I see that it is sold on the WF site, so the deed has definitely been done!
36.gif

Only 30 days until Christmas.
31.gif
Keep us posted.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice choice he made! And also, what an eventful week for you and your bf!! Now its just time to wait....eek!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Mat, I am wildly excited for you. WF''s ES stones are quite exceptional. I have one and haven''t stopped looking at it in the 4 months it''s been on my finger! I seriously am delighted for you and can''t wait to see the finished ring. Enjoy this exciting time, your boyfriend has purchased a fabulous stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I-SI from WF is gone... Good for you, Matadora!
31.gif

About the setting, do you know this from WF? It may be more straightforward to have both diamond and setting from the same shop. And the small details (angle of prongs) look nicer in the WF version:

15492.jpg

tmb_big_DSCN1451.jpg.jpg

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 10:36:43 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 11/26/2005 5:36:09 AM
Author: MiniMouse
My non-technical little mind
33.gif
views ACAs as ''mind perfect'' whereas ES are more ''eye perfect''.

in a lot of cases that is a very good description :}
except no diamond is truely perfect.
any diamonds cut is a comprimise and what may be perfect to/for one person may not be perfect to/for another.
I like the general idea :}
Good point strmrdr. I''m glad diamonds aren''t all perfect or else I probably couldn''t afford one, or I''d at least need a microscope to see it! You''re so right - perfection to one person is not perfection to another.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 8:43:20 PM
Author: diamondlil
All good choices, Mat. When I saw the pic of the GOG stone with all those dots, I can honestly say I was not sure about it though. It''s good that you saw it in person and cannot see the inclusions, because it would be hard to choose that without seeing it. The ES from WF looks outstanding!!!! I see that it is sold on the WF site, so the deed has definitely been done!
36.gif

Only 30 days until Christmas.
31.gif
Keep us posted.
I had taken a mental pass on that GOG 1.72 before we go there, but the gentleman brought it out and I was shocked! The pictures makes that stones look
14.gif
but in life it is WOW!
I hope that the ES from WF is uber yummy in person. It is it wrong that I keep flipping over to that page and drooling?
27.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 1:32:48 AM
Author: valeria101

The I-SI from WF is gone... Good for you, Matadora!
31.gif

About the setting, do you know this from WF? It may be more straightforward to have both diamond and setting from the same shop. And the small details (angle of prongs) look nicer in the WF version:

15492.jpg

tmb_big_DSCN1451.jpg.jpg
I considered working with WF for a custom setting but decided not to a few months ago, if you would like the reasons why PM me.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 9:02:42 AM
Author: Matatora
I had taken a mental pass on that GOG 1.72 before we go there, but the gentleman brought it out and I was shocked! The pictures makes that stones look
14.gif
but in life it is WOW!
I hope that the ES from WF is uber yummy in person. It is it wrong that I keep flipping over to that page and drooling?
27.gif
Congrats Matatora! I''m so excited for you! That looks like an awesome stone! It appears, from the ideal scope image, to be cut like a new line ACA (which my diamond is, and I LOVE it)! I''m sure you''re going to be blown away in person! (And no, it''s not wrong that you keep flipping over to that page and drooling!)
31.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Excellent choice!!! That''s a serious rock! We are both going to have "I"s. All of those settings are gorgeous too.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 12:12:06 PM
Author: Kerbear560

Date: 11/27/2005 9:02:42 AM
14.gif
but in life it is WOW!
27.gif
Congrats Matatora! I''m so excited for you! That looks like an awesome stone! It appears, from the ideal scope image, to be cut like a new line ACA (which my diamond is, and I LOVE it)! I''m sure you''re going to be blown away in person! (And no, it''s not wrong that you keep flipping over to that page and drooling!)
31.gif
I am excited for me too! I just wish I knew when it was coming...
32.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 12:30:58 PM
Author: appletini
Excellent choice!!! That''s a serious rock! We are both going to have ''I''s. All of those settings are gorgeous too.
Your stone is definately drool worthy! I have looked at yours MANY times, and of course smile dof your super spiffy cuts...I want one too!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 12:31:32 PM
Author: kenny
John

If all other specs are exactly identical (not likely-but wok with me here) what is the price difference at , say, 1 carat?

Will an ACA be 10% more than a a ES?
20%?
30%?
Kenny,

ACA pricing is done without relationship to ES. ACAs go through extra inspection time with Brian, are submitted to AGS for the more expensive DQD report (recent ones with the new AGS Ideal grade in light performance), and each is laser-inscribed with the ACA logo and ID number on the girdle. Those are some of the costs associated with the premium.

ES pricing is actually more fluid/variable. The intent of ES is ''best value for the money,'' so they have been priced according to the shifting market. You could do a comparison of like size/color/clarity to get an idea of the differences at they stand today, but it''s not a set formula and will vary over time (ACA relative to ES).

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 3:51:39 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Matatora,

Congratulations
1.gif
and I hope the answers on Page 1 helped some. You really could not go wrong with the choices you listed.
Indeed! I am very excited about owning a second ES! I am quite fond of the pendent ya''ll put together for me and I am sure the ring will be jsut as lovely.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations matatora
36.gif

i''m hoping you will see it very very soon!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay a bit of upsetting news. V spoke to the gentleman at Facets today and gave him the measurements of our stone. He was told that the two settings their (one of which is the same on Demezla had) would not support a stone that size and that it would be a bad idea to get either. I am not sure what this means.
15.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 3:17:31 PM
Okay a bit of upsetting news. V spoke to the gentleman at Facets today and gave him the measurements of our stone. He was told that the two settings their (one of which is the same on Demezla had) would not support a stone that size and that it would be a bad idea to get either. I am not sure what this means.
15.gif
that's odd
40.gif
it would seem that they could just replace the head to accomodate the stone (?)
did he have an alternate suggestion?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possibly the settings are too lightweight to support larger stones? Maybe they would make it topheavy. Hard to say, but I''d listen to the experts. You don''t want to buy a setting against their recommendations and have problems and then you are SOL.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 3:24:33 PM
Author: belle

Date: 11/28/2005 3:17:31 PM
15.gif
that''s odd
40.gif
it would seem that they could just replace the head to accomodate the stone (?)
did he have an alternate suggestion?
They are going to work on one, he said they were going to see how a wider setting would work...I dont know that I want a setting wider then 2.5mm though. Arg, this is confusing. I think V may call WF and see what they recommend.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora, that ES stone looks great! It''s going to looks so fab with the shared prong eternity setting. Are you planning to get a matching band to go with it? I can''t wait to see pictures of it on your hand!
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 3:27:39 PM
Author: Mara
Possibly the settings are too lightweight to support larger stones? Maybe they would make it topheavy. Hard to say, but I''d listen to the experts. You don''t want to buy a setting against their recommendations and have problems and then you are SOL.
We wont, you are correct it simply is not worth the risk of having something go wrong.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Regardless, It''s going to be GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Miss Claudia...I adore your RHR it is fantastic!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results