shape
carat
color
clarity

8 years later...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
of course you are going to see color in an unmounted ''j'' stone when compared to colorless stones. there will be a big difference when the stone is mounted however, as you will be viewing it from the top where the light return is. it will face up very sparkly and white. yes, you will still see color when viewing through the pavilion but who is going to be looking at it that way? the bottom line is, you need to be happy. if you aren''t happy with the lower color, keep looking.
best of luck to you!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Is is the color that is bothering you, the fact that the appraiser ranked the color lower the WF did, or that he said it would look yellowy in a mounting? Also what report came with the stone? Did it have a GIA or AGS cert?

SLK

Rough_Rock
Hi Matatora,

Here is the stone http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5539510. No it was not that because the appraiser said it's a K rather than J or that it will look yellowish in mounting. It's just that I can see the substantial color difference between my G/H (not yellowish at all, very white) to the J from WF, the one from WF is alot yellowish than mine (in my original posting I wanted a stone that is sparkly, eye-clean, and white-not yellowish). It was just shocking to me since I have not seen any stone below H and I was expect a whiter stone (since Brain from WF told me that it looks more an I than J during our first phone conversation and that once it's mounted it will actually look like a H). I contacted Lesley from WF and mentioned to her about the color, she said she can send the stone to another independent appraiser (WF will absorb the fee) for a second evaluation to confirm the color is J and that's a AGS report so it cannot be wrong. Additionally, the independent appraiser mentioned that the price is average or fair deal ($25,769.00) and not an excellent deal which many assume what to expect from internet purchases (I am just repeating what the independent appraiser told me). I don't know, I guess I am just
7.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I'm all for these gorgeous J stones but for some people, the tone of a J diamond/difference from G-H stones is not appealing. Trust your gut here. if it's not for you, then it's just not for you.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am curious why you are sticking to the 3+ ct mark? Id think you can find something more affordable, whiter and cleaner in a slightly smaller size. At a size 5 finger on that style ring this thing is going to look like a hockey puck ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe you need to look at H stones to be safe?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Phooey! How disappointing!!
7.gif

You really do have to follow your gut. But take heart...the perfect stone with your name on it is out there waiting for you.
2.gif

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Jen...I think J''s are fabulous and in no way yellow but they are not for everyone! (and thank god for that or else there''d be less of them for me to buy!!) In terms of WF with their color, they have been a very good judge so far with my stones...I would trust Brian''s eye hands down anyday. But yes seeing something unmounted or compared to other stones, aka an H or something may not be your cup of tea! Good luck..

SLK

Rough_Rock
Hi Belle,

First, thank you for your reply. Please let me know if how and what the substantial difference(s) are when the stone is mounted because I have never seen a J stone mounted in platinum. I will go to jewelery stores this weekend to look at the mounted J stones in platinum to see if it's white face up (and yes, I can see it's extremely sparkly already since it's a ACA H&A) I agree with you on no one is going to be looking at the pavilion when it's mounted.

Hi Mara,

Again, thank you for your reply. I am hoping to agree with you that a J color can be fabulous and in no way yellow when the stone is mounted ( I will go see J stones in platinum this weekend). By no means am I trying to upset you ( I apoloize if I have), although I believe Brian but I also believe the independent appraiser since I paid him to perform an independent apprasial (for an unbiased opinion).

Anyhow, I have booked another appointment to look at the stone with the independent apprasier this weekend again (just to make sure my eyes aren't playing any tricks on me). Like I said, it's a beautiful stone (love the sparkly and completely eye clean) but want to reassure the color.

Again, thank you very, very much for your feedback. Welcome for more!!!!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think getting a 2nd opinion with an independent appraisal is a smart idea...and don't mention anything re: the previous appraisal. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say!!

Just like the labs use humans to grade stones, independent appraisers are human too. So it really does depend...one persons I is another's J may be another's K. I know someone who has an ideal K who had it appraised and two other appraisers said J. So really it's all about someone's perception of color!!

BUT I will say that regardless of if someone says it's an J or K or L or I or whatever, YOUR EYE is what matters. Even if this appraiser miraculously says the stone is a D...if you see yellow in it, you probably won't like it. Mountings will hide some color but I don't think they hide a whole color grade so I'd be hesitant to base my entire purchase on that. Just my two cents!

Good luck!

SLK

Rough_Rock
Hi Ame,

Thank you for your reply . A 3 ct. is what I have dreamed about since I was 10 years old (and yes, my b/f knows about that.) So that''s the reason why I am tyring the max out the budget for what I can get. Hope this explains my stupidity.
41.gif

GemView

Shiny_Rock
It was said: "…the color is J and that''s a AGS report so it cannot be wrong"

Forgive my newbie ignorance, but is it true that such a lab report can never vary on anything at all? In other words, how much of this is graded by a machine as opposed to some areas of the grading process being exposed to a subjective human element? Are there any labs that offer a legal guarantee of what a stone grades? Has anyone ever had a their stone double or tripple graded just out of curiosity? I''m thinking of doing that, but I''m afraid of opening a can of worms.

33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
GemView, note what I said re: humans grading. It's subjective. Just because AGS says its a J does not mean that GIA would agree or that all other people who see it would. It's not about being wrong or right re: color grading. That is why I think 2-3 opinions if you are really worried is good. For me personally I go by my eye and if my eye is happy with the stone, then who cares what 99 others say.
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
slk,
there is no way that i would be able to quantify the difference between a mounted and unmounted stone. color preference is very personal, you will have to find out what yours is and go from there. that said, please, please don''t think you can go into a jewelry store and find a ''j'' that wil be a true representation of what this stone would look like mounted. i have been to many jewelry stores and seen many (many) stones. most all of what is on display are mediocre cut ''i'' and ''j'' color stones. they are definitely yellow and this shows more because of the poor cut. in an ideal cut stone, such as the aca you are considering, more light is reflected back to your eye giving the diamond the ''white out'' look from the top.
again, you have to be comfortable with your purchase. i would suggest looking at the stone *face up* in various lighting conditions to get a more realistic idea of how it will perform.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara,

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate your advice, too. Thanks!

1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this is the stone counting down considered. Rocdoc also saw it in person. Just curious as to their thoughts???

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
A new lab report could say it''s an F but it won''t matter-if you see a tone or whatever you want to call it, you''ll always see it. Ideal cut J stones are gorgeous and to most people walking around, will seem very white...but there is a reaosn it is a J and not an F...and some people (as in the wearer) don''t like that look. If WF will cover the regrade costs, it can''t hurt but in my gut, I don''t think you''ll be happy no matter what it says. I had an opportunity to upgrade to a 3.5 ct J, SI2 1A cut my jeweler got just after I got my 3.01 ct H, and in an ering, it wasn''t for me either...in a big stone, in some lights, you can see the tone of the stone...I wouldn''t call it yellow but it''s warm. That''s my opinion...others will differ but you have to trust your own eyes and the message your gut serves up to you based on what your eyes take in.

BTW, my local jeweler has sent the same stone to GIA and AGS and got conflicting grades more than once...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2005 2:39:03 PM
Author: SLK
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your replies. I too would like to know what Rockdoc and Countingdown think about the color of the 3.052 ct J SI ACA that was not chosen https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-those-who-have-been-following-my-stone-search.29656/=
5.gif
Rockdoc and Countingdown, can you please share your opinion with me?

I agree with Jen, that at this point if you see too much color, it doesn''t really matter what others say. Having said that, It would be nice to get RocDocs opinion on the Color grade since your appraiser has said WF''s was not accurate. it will be also good to hear what you 2nd independant appraiser thinks.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering what the second appraiser thought the color was?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2005 4:54:54 AM
Author: Pyramid
Just wondering what the second appraiser thought the color was?

me too
1.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else. It doesn''t matter what 100 other people tell you about the color of the stone. If you personally don''t feel comfortable with it, then it is not the stone for you. J stones can be gorgeous to some people and for others it might not float their boats. I say keep searching, don''t settle for a diamond you aren''t completely happy with. Leslie will definitely help you with the hunt if you need it. If you end up buying a stone from elsewhere, so be it. Just make sure you are happy with whatever stone you purchase. It will be for your e-ring, which you will be wearing every single day of your life. Make sure you are in love with it.

BTW, if you got the second opinion from another appraiser, I would love to hear about that too. Good luck with your hunt. It does take a while, just don''t ever settle unless you know it''s the one!

SLK

Rough_Rock
Happy early Birthday ROCDOC!!!!!!!!!!!! August 10th!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
rockdoc b-day is coming up!?
36.gif

what''s the news on the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results