carat
color
clarity

2024 Solar Eclipse

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kittyeclipse.jpg

(not my artwork but the artwork of one of the cat rescue organizations I support)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
These were some of the snaps that my kid took. It was just beautiful. She captured Bailey's beads and plasma. We looked hard but couldn't see the 'horned devil' comet. The shadows were a trip. I made some cool crescent finger shadows I'll have to ask her to send me. We watched all the birds come and roost for the night all at once and then leave confused after.

The very coolest thing we saw were those mystery shadow gravitational bands all over the ground and on the building behind us. We saw them moving all over. It was almost like water reflections but thinner. I'll likely never see them again. It was amazing.
20240408_153320.jpg 20240408_153346.jpg 20240408_153335.jpg

Were you in a natural area? Im already plotting for 2027 haha to be somewhere away from streetlights etc

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
We were lucky to be in the path of totality in 2017. My kids were 1 & 5, so they didn’t remember it very much/at all.
My hometown was in the totality path this time, so it was an easy decision to go visit my mom for a long weekend. It was an amazing experience for all of us ❤️

Even though we planned to be out of town, I signed permission slips for my kids to view at their schools in case our plans fell through. Luckily our school district embraced the learning opportunities.

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
These are incredible photos, ItsMainelyYou! Was she using a telescope?

NO! She just did a quick point and shot using her phone in Pro mode using a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G. Just a phone! Isn't it crazy?!
Were you in a natural area? Im already plotting for 2027 haha to be somewhere away from streetlights etc

We went up to Millinocket Maine and stopped right in town as we were out of time to anything else. Stood in a little unassuming parking lot. There's nothing up there for tourists to do in that little town. Mt. Katahdin and a bunch of lakes are nearby, and potatoes. The four little decorative street lights came on but didn't throw any light, it's hard to describe. A twilight you'll never see otherwise. There were still a few thousand extra people scattered throughout town.
It's also near Baxter State Park and normally @4+ hrs from where we live.
I guess you could say most of Maine is a natural area other than Portland, though:lol:
People were just pulling off the road everywhere.

It was likely the worst traffic coming back the state has ever seen. We knew everyone from away would be going to West to Rangely and all the other beauty spots so we went 'up the county' instead. The entire state in the path of totality had been sold out of places to stay since last year.
The trip took 13+ hrs and we were only there for maybe an hour or so.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It didn't turn out as well as she'd hoped but this was a cool thing to see our shadows bending in different ways. My hand shadows turned into perfect crescents.
20240408_151204.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
NO! She just did a quick point and shot using her phone in Pro mode using a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G. Just a phone! Isn't it crazy?!

We went up to Millinocket Maine and stopped right in town as we were out of time to anything else. Stood in a little unassuming parking lot. There's nothing up there for tourists to do in that little town. Mt. Katahdin and a bunch of lakes are nearby, and potatoes. The four little decorative street lights came on but didn't throw any light, it's hard to describe. A twilight you'll never see otherwise. There were still a few thousand extra people scattered throughout town.
It's also near Baxter State Park and normally @4+ hrs from where we live.
I guess you could say most of Maine is a natural area other than Portland, though:lol:
People were just pulling off the road everywhere.

It was likely the worst traffic coming back the state has ever seen. We knew everyone from away would be going to West to Rangely and all the other beauty spots so we went 'up the county' instead. The entire state in the path of totality had been sold out of places to stay since last year.
The trip took 13+ hrs and we were only there for maybe an hour or so.

I cannot believe those shots are from a Phone. That is amazing. I was really surprised that there was no traffic going to or from Eagle Pass, which is where I viewed it. I think the weather made a lot of people cancel their plans! I’m so glad I did not though because even though it was cloudy, it was still incredible.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It didn't turn out as well as she'd hoped but this was a cool thing to see our shadows bending in different ways. My hand shadows turned into perfect crescents.
20240408_151204.jpg

Argh, I tried that hand thing and my driveway is made of a similar aggregate…could NOT get it to work. Cool pic!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I cannot believe those shots are from a Phone. That is amazing. I was really surprised that there was no traffic going to or from Eagle Pass, which is where I viewed it. I think the weather made a lot of people cancel their plans! I’m so glad I did not though because even though it was cloudy, it was still incredible.

I know right?! I take some truly mediocre photos with the same model. She has an eye for photography and knows how to use the stupid thing.
We kept seeing all these super fancy private jets fly overhead that we don't normally get as well. I can't imagine how amazing it must have looked from that vantage point.
Argh, I tried that hand thing and my driveway is made of a similar aggregate…could NOT get it to work. Cool pic!

It was just pure luck.
We were running around like loons looking for shadows. I really wish we could've picked up those gravity waves but they wouldn't cooperate. I turned around and caught sight of them by accident. I didn't expect to be able to observe them.
'Ahhhh, we can see the lines! Those're gravity lines! Look, look, LOOK, we've got the lines!' We don't really even know why it does this!' We got all geek excited and the people around us got to see it, so that was nice.
Weird and surreally beautiful. Like a secret thing you're not supposed to see. It felt like a peeking behind the fabric of reality type thing. Noodles of mystery.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
We were part of the tourist mania going to VT to see the eclipse in totality and it was amazing!! We stayed the night to avoid heavy traffic and boy am I glad we did that. The moment of totality was so magical I nearly cried. I’m so grateful to have experienced it

My sister got the last two photos with just her phone too!!

73429602886__1D76AA83-4BD2-420A-80DA-653079541E0A.jpeg

IMG_9440.jpeg

IMG_9437.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel really fortunate to have been able to see it this year. I felt so in awe that I choked up a little in those minutes.

total-eclipse.jpg

Rebel Rebel

Rough_Rock
In eastern NC, not in the path, for 20 minutes, our sky looked as it does before a huge storm.

Hard to describe, but our sky gets very bright in an eerie way, and then, quickly turns very dark (sometimes like night) until the storm moves toward the coast.

I took my pup for a walk just after the eclipse & noticed that my very responsive & fast-changing transitional eyeglass lenses didn't turn dark. That was surprising.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results