color
clarity

2024 Solar Eclipse

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made a pinhole projector using a cereal box-- this video shows how (very easy):

An article in WaPo says you can also see projected images through leaves on trees, or through a colander (!) or even your crossed fingers.
Gift link to WaPo article:

A reader posted a comment saying that you can project an image of the eclipse using binoculars, reversed; the sunlight passes through the large lens first, then through the eyepiece lens, onto a piece of paper or posterboard that you lay on the ground. We just tried this and can see the image of the full sun on the paper so it should work well for projecting the eclipse. (It should be needless to say-- but I'll say it anyway-- do NOT view the sun directly through the binoculars! Only use the binoculars to project the image onto paper.)
A handheld telescope should also work to project an image onto paper if pointed toward the sun backwards.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
we are in the path of almost a complete eclipse, traffic is already nuts in our little burg, kids got out of school early...I got my glasses and hubby has a welders helmet that might even be better to use.....

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just came back in. 90% here for us at 2:05 central. No one else in the parking lot was as excited as I was LOL.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the time I figured out how to try to get a photo through the glasses and iphone (and also reduce exposure on the phone) it was almost over here. But at our peak 92% totality it got pretty chilly and looked like dusk. And the birds were going nuts. Wish I had figured out the photo thing earlier.
IMG_7215 (1).jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our friend’s photos.
He’s an astronomer.
He lives in South Carolina

Resized_20240408_140925.jpeg

Resized_20240408_143555.jpeg

Resized_20240408_150835.jpeg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was one of the coolest planetary events I’ve witnessed in my lifetime. During the partial eclipse leading up to totality we just kind of sat in silence. I was thinking how at peace I felt and I got a little emotional as I realized that, just sitting still, I was happy. 4 minutes of a complete eclipse was amazing. Made me stop and think about how fortunate I am and how nice it is not to be in constant survival mode anymore.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was one of the coolest planetary events I’ve witnessed in my lifetime. During the partial eclipse leading up to totality we just kind of sat in silence. I was thinking how at peace I felt and I got a little emotional as I realized that, just sitting still, I was happy. 4 minutes of a complete eclipse was amazing. Made me stop and think about how fortunate I am and how nice it is not to be in constant survival mode anymore.

Well said, Monnie!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was rather cloudy here earlier, then it went pitch black, but we did have a good view of the eclipse.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DD got this today. It's the max we got here. I won't show you my itty bitty cereal box image. :roll2:

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 4.17.28 PM.png

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
A beautiful warm, sunny day, no clouds, in the path of totality. It was amazing.
April is usually cold , cloudy and rainy, so we were fortunate to have clear skies and a warm 15°. It cooled off during totality, and got a bit windy for several minutes.
I didn’t take any photos; too lazy to figure it out! It’s an unforgettable memory anyway. My first and last total eclipse.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful warm, sunny day, no clouds, in the path of totality. It was amazing!
April is usually cold , cloudy and rainy, so we were fortunate to have clear skies and a warm 15°. It cooled off during totality, and got a bit windy for several minutes.

Luckie Duckie!!!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It was amazing. I was really stressed out because what is a normally incredibly sunny area was cloudy! But thankfully it was back-and-forth, so we got to see the corona and of course the darkness was extraordinary. I’m so happy I witnessed it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your post made me emotional Monnie.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
These were some of the snaps that my kid took. It was just beautiful. She captured Bailey's beads and plasma. We looked hard but couldn't see the 'horned devil' comet. The shadows were a trip. I made some cool crescent finger shadows I'll have to ask her to send me. We watched all the birds come and roost for the night all at once and then leave confused after.

The very coolest thing we saw were those mystery shadow gravitational bands all over the ground and on the building behind us. We saw them moving all over. It was almost like water reflections but thinner. I'll likely never see them again. It was amazing.
20240408_153320.jpg 20240408_153346.jpg 20240408_153335.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These were some of the snaps that my kid took. It was just beautiful. She captured Bailey's beads and plasma. We looked hard but couldn't see the 'horned devil' comet. The shadows were a trip. I made some cool crescent finger shadows I'll have to ask her to send me. We watched all the birds come and roost for the night all at once and then leave confused after.

The very coolest thing we saw were those mystery shadow gravitational bands all over the ground and on the building behind us. We saw them moving all over. It was almost like water reflections but thinner. I'll likely never see them again. It was amazing.
20240408_153320.jpg 20240408_153346.jpg 20240408_153335.jpg

These are incredible photos, ItsMainelyYou! Was she using a telescope?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive been thinking about you all all day
unfortunatly the radio news in this country has not and then i missed the news on tv tonight
i have been worried about our bus driver who some might call a religous nutter
he has called in sick the last two days

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results