shape
carat
color
clarity

2024 Solar Eclipse

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm taking a mini roadtrip because the path is in a beautiful part of the state we rarely go through. I've got my glasses and everything.

Well, if I decide to do the 3-4 hour ride north, I'll give you a PS wave! But otherwise, please report back. Has anyone mentioned a way to take photos other than the colander trick? Just wondering if it's safe to actually take a photo through the glasses? I'm not into these things normally so maybe I sound ignorant, which I am!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
They did not say specifically, but I think they are worried about the kids staring at the sun without glasses, But that’s what permission slips are for.

ETA - but they are going to watch it on TV! Lol!

For your entertainment @monarch64

IMG_9948.jpeg
And I can’t take credit for this but I texted the pic to a friend and she responded in the most hilarious manner:

8. Clergy will be on site throwing holy water everywhere to save us

9. Scholars will cover their heads and hide under their desks so that none of the juju gets them

10. We'll probably just go ahead and set off all the sirens and alarms the whole time to make sure nobody forgets how much mortal danger the moon is putting us in.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, if I decide to do the 3-4 hour ride north, I'll give you a PS wave! But otherwise, please report back. Has anyone mentioned a way to take photos other than the colander trick? Just wondering if it's safe to actually take a photo through the glasses? I'm not into these things normally so maybe I sound ignorant, which I am!

Cool! I got a filter for the phone. It's a cheap thing but it works.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_9948.jpeg
And I can’t take credit for this but I texted the pic to a friend and she responded in the most hilarious manner:

9. Scholars will cover their heads and hide under their desks so that none of the juju gets them

10. We'll probably just go ahead and set off all the sirens and alarms the whole time to make sure nobody forgets how much mortal danger the moon is putting us in.

Girl they have lost their damn minds!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of our kids is a few hours away from the path of totality and just made the decision to road-trip for it with some friends. He asked if I could recommend good eclipse glasses. I was actually able to locate ours from 2017 because they are, um, still on my desk at home. (And it's a tiny desk.) So maybe my wife is right about me after all.

I said he can get his own eclipse glasses but mostly he needs to wear one of those colander things, right...?

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Niagara Falls on the Canadian side has declared a state of emergency as a cautionary measure in preparation for the eclipse. They are expecting over a million people to show up for the event. Thinking of that many people gives me anxiety but still contemplating if we should make the hour long drive to see it. I wonder how long it's going to take to get home..

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our forecast keeps getting worse. But in my area it could either snow or sleet or be fair/sunny all weekend. Right now the weekend isn’t looking great, which I’m only concerned about because my friend is coming up from Orlando. Too bad we can’t order whatever weather we like yet.
IMG_4021.jpeg

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Where we lived in 2017, it was a total eclipse. My DH had the day off, and we went outside with pinhole boxes to kinda-sorta look at the sun. Looking around the yard was fascinating to see the twilight. We lived north of the 60th parallel (Yukon, Canada) for years, so seeing twilight wasn't new to us. Much of the summer nights are that kind of twilight, up north. :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are right in the path of the total eclipse, and apparently there’ll be a huge influx of visitors arriving to view it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
can this thing please hurry up and be over

my bus driver is some sort of religouse nutter and ive been hearing about the proficies for the last two weeks, its looking bad for Catholics, protestants, Jews ,muslims, rightwingers, socilaists, anyone who goes to church on a sunday, thinks xmas is 25 Dec,anyone who celebrates Easter, oh and bankers (atheists and agnostics you guys have no chance, nor do Buddists or Hindus)

i get home feeling so tired when im the only one on the bus

If we/you are not all zappd by all this fire and brimstone i will probably just spontaneous combust next time he drives my bus, i was really worried that awful earthquake in Taiwan was ging to set him off tonight on my ride home bit it was possible he hadnt heard that news yet

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now prisoners are suing to see the eclipse. No. Just no. You are in jail and what makes you think you deserve the privilege of seeing the eclipse? Should have thought about that before you committed a serious crime. Too bad. So sad.

Or, how's this? Let them look at the eclipse. Without eclipse glasses.

Oh wait, if they are blind there goes more of our taxpayer dollars to their care. So never mind. Back to no to viewing the eclipse.
Outrageous request.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Now prisoners are suing to see the eclipse. No. Just no. You are in jail and what makes you think you deserve the privilege of seeing the eclipse? Should have thought about that before you committed a serious crime. Too bad. So sad.

Or, how's this? Let them look at the eclipse. Without eclipse glasses.

Oh wait, if they are blind there goes more of our taxpayer dollars to their care. So never mind. Back to no to viewing the eclipse.
Outrageous request.

Hahaha I read the article and it turns out it’s for the same reasons my kid’s school is refusing to take them out - safety. Evidently the eclipse is during their normal yard time at the prison but they are purposely keeping them in. (Slaps forehead).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha I read the article and it turns out it’s for the same reasons my kid’s school is refusing to take them out - safety. Evidently the eclipse is during their normal yard time at the prison but they are purposely keeping them in. (Slaps forehead).

Yes! It is risky. And not all the solar eclipse glasses are protective. Lots of fakes out there. Everyone please be careful. This is no joke. You can do real damage to your eyes

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_9948.jpeg

i thought about this in bead last night
it made me laugh some more
i was thinking about some of the kids i went to school with being refferred to as scholars (my slef included)
is that really the word for student/ pupil/ school kid ????

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are in the path of totality and i will be working that day. I’m hoping since i work 8:30-5 that traffic will not be an issue since they are expecting a large influx of visitors to the area. It is Moms weekend at my daughters university, and I am more concerned with traffic coming home Sunday. They have closed schools here and are encouraging working from home. I’ll step outside with my coworkers during the few minutes of totality and then get back to work. I have my eclipse glasses in my car ️

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one who is scared to rely on the cheap glasses that DH got from Albertson’s? They are stamped iso 12312-2 but I am reluctant to trust my vision these 2 dollar glasses.
Apparently my school district has no concerns bc there will be no modifications to our schedule tomorrow.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they reflective like foil on the outside? No scratches/delamination? That's good. Hold them up to the brightest light in your house and you may just barely see an orange glow. That's good, too. No guarantee that they are safe but those are easy tests that they are not safe.

Before and after totality (2017), I would only look up with the glasses for a second or two. Not much to see. At totality, you don't need the glasses (and will see nothing or next to nothing with them on).

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Am I the only one who is scared to rely on the cheap glasses that DH got from Albertson’s? They are stamped iso 12312-2 but I am reluctant to trust my vision these 2 dollar glasses.
Apparently my school district has no concerns bc there will be no modifications to our schedule tomorrow.

Me — Even though we bought ours from a retailer listed on the American Astronomical Society website and they’re properly stamped. We also did the light test. Nevertheless- I’m hesitant - I’m usually not a nervous nelly!

Hope the weather/clouds cooperate! Happy Eclipse Day everyone.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
DH had to go to recurrent flight school this week in Dallas. He said even cheapie hotels are booked at 1,200.00 a night. As he flew in, everyone was asking if he was going for the eclipse.

Where I live in Virginia, I guess we'll get 80% plus blackout.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t trust my glasses either, even though they appear to be legit! I’m using the ones my daughter’s school gave out. SURELY the school triple checked their supplier?!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t trust my glasses either, even though they appear to be legit! I’m using the ones my daughter’s school gave out. SURELY the school triple checked their supplier?!

Hahahahahahaha

Our school has issued no directive—nada, zilch—about this eclipse!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just had a woman in the parking lot of the grocery store give me an extra pair of glasses, she said she already had a pair and didn’t need them. Checked them and they are legit. Such a nice gesture and now the kids can sneak a quick peak if they so wish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results