carat
color
clarity

1st LV purse purchase suggestions

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,
I'm itching to get my very 1st LV bag.
So far I have coach pieces but I want a more grown up purse but also one I can have for years to come.

These are the ones I have my eye on but please I'm totally new to this so I'd really appreciate your opinions and also alternate suggestions if you have them...

Tivoli PM
http://www.louisvuitton.com/us/flash/index.jsp?direct1=home_entry_us

Tivoli GM

and
Galleria PM

Finally, several of my friends have suggested the classic Speedy 25 or 30 in the monogram canvas or the damier canvas but I'm not sure I'd be that happy with it. Those of you who do have a Speedy how do you like it?

Thanks so much in advance for your input! =)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Can you post pics? The links take me to the LV home page.

As for the Speedy- I have the 25 and my mom the 30, and the one thing I don't like is that the bottoms aren't supported so they tend to sag unless you put something stiff on the bottom to keep the shape. Also, it's a very classic bag, but I like shoulder bags more, and I feel like the Speedy is everywhere (including tons and tons of knock-offs), so I'm kind of over it.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Hi B.E.G. thanks so much for your super fast response.
I totally agree with you about the Speedy losing the bottom shape and kinda sagging and yeah there are tons of knock off by me too.

Ok I'll try to post pics right now...
I'm sorry I didn't realize the links were just going to the home page...

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the Galleria PM

LVgalleriaPM.jpg

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the Tivoli PM

LVtivoliPM.jpg

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
The last one I have my eye on is just a bigger version of the bag pictured above but the handles are adjustable so that I would be able to carry it over my shoulder or over my arm. It is about 350 dollars more than the smaller version...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like the Galleria PM! The shape seems a bit more classic than the Tivoli, and for LVs, I'm all about the classic shapes that you can carry around 10, 15 years from now. The Tivoli is really cute though and I like it as well, but I'm leaning in the Galleria direction. What a fun purchase - best of luck deciding! :)

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love both of those styles. Do you live close to an LV store? If possible you should definitely see the bags in person and try them on. I think the Tivoli GM is a heavier bag especially if you carry a lot of things in your purse. The Galliera is more of a comfortable everyday bag from what I've heard.:))

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Get yourself to the purse forum. They have all kinds of threads and clubs on the classic and limited ed. bags, including problems, complaints and real pictures.

For me, the speedy is the 1st LV bag to get. It is cheap and classic. The sag is very a la mode and if you want a shaper there are a million on the market. I use the chameleon - you can get it in a matching or contrasting colour to the lining. I also (shhh) have the mono strap which I tote around in bag for hands free shopping. I know it is bad, but it is so handy!

The Galleria has had some teething issues with the round fastener on the handle. It has snapped and broken and the brass will absolutely discolour the adjacent leather. tPF has loads of threads on this.

The Tivoli in PM is small for me and really does not offer any more flexibility than the speedy but it is much cuter- and much more $$$.

Why did you select these two?

I think the batignolles haute might be a better jumping off point, do you like that one or perhaps even the NF; cute and cheap (straps are thin, though)?

Happy shopping!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Burberry, thanks for the advice I know you have many LV purses and you are a great source! I do happen to have a store close by and have called them and asked if the ones I have my eye on are in stock and they are and they too suggested that I come by and see them and try them and carry them before I decide. So I think in the next couple of weeks I will do that...

Steal I thought about joining the purse forum so I may go ahead and do that today. Thanks for the heads up on the teething issues with the Galleria. And you are right the Tivoli is about the same as the speedy in terms of size etc...but it is nearly $400 more. But is is very cute.
I think my main hesitation with getting the speedy was that the bottom would not hold its shape. Can I ask where you got your insert? Was it online? I am in Canada and I may end up having to get it online.

I took a look at the one you suggested and I do like it so that one is in the running too now.
I picked the 2 I did honestly based purely on what looked good to my eye, they appealed to me but other than that I didn't put much thought in to it. I must admit for my first LV I don't want to completely blow the bank.
I do like the Speedy 30 very much and if the sag issue could be addressed I would get it likely in the damier ebene.

I personally don't like the straps on the NF line and I also don't like how open they are up top anyone could just pop their hand in and grab my wallet since it is so open that would bug me when I was out in crowds and stuff...

Steal what do you think about the Palermo PM???
Thanks ladies you are awesome as always!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Ta Daaaaaa.......

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chameleon-handbag-inserts.81019/#post-1257291#p1257291']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chameleon-handbag-inserts.81019/#post-1257291#p1257291[/URL] (www.chameleoninserts.com)

I was so happy with the inserts I started a thread about them! FYI, I'm in Europe and have bought a number of inserts from Kathy. I sent her a $ bank draft in post and it arrived everytime.

I bought the red colour tone for my Damier Speedy.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
btrflygrl23 said:

I think it is on of the nicer styles currently out and you can't deny it is versatile. I'm sure it is the oft toted LV of choice for Jennifer Love Hewitt too? But there are prettier LV's in that $$ range that don't scream LV. I don't own one but I would pick it up second hand if I saw one. For me it is too 'entry level' looking to justify the $$$. I prefer the work horse speedy/cabas mezzo/sonatine/illuvo & pochette for everyday reliable (cheaper) use.

For you, I would consider the speedy, but if you wanna upgrade the look go for a cabas piano, bagintolles or popincourt and as you suggested the palermo too. Just go try them on, you will know the ONE when you see/feel it.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I love LV! All my gran's fault - her addiction has fostered mine!

I know many people are hesitant to buy secondhand bags because they don't know if they're authentic... But have a look at http://www.fashionphile.com. They have a number of almost new bags in almost perfect condition and they guarantee authenticity. :)

Who knows, you might even be able to get two bags for the same amount of money... :naughty:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie said:
I love LV! All my gran's fault - her addiction has fostered mine!

I know many people are hesitant to buy secondhand bags because they don't know if they're authentic... But have a look at http://www.fashionphile.com. They have a number of almost new bags in almost perfect condition and they guarantee authenticity. :)

Who knows, you might even be able to get two bags for the same amount of money... :naughty:

What a wonderful 'habit' to have acquired from your Gran, I would have loved a fashionable classy Granny too!

Re: Pre-loved & Fashionphile in particular.

I have bought from fashionphile, in fact one of my favourite bags is from them: my cerises speedy.

But be wary and use your LV knowledge to buy smart. A fake or two has slipped through - which they have acknowledged.
Also it is a great idea to maintain a relationship with your local/nearest boutique: I get every pre-loved piece authenticated before I remove the tags.
If you buy used you will buy a piece that may have more wear or odour than you expect and it is up to you to accept it or return it, or as I have often done - put up with it and get it repaired by LV. My cerises for example cost me over €300 (ish) in LV repairs alone to change the handles, zip etc because it was so patinated. And a cherry blossom pap. I bought (not from FP) is so stinky I still can't wear it.... :nono:
Fashionphile can be difficult to get a hold of by e-mail so you are best to call if you have questions on your 'ideal' or a 'bargain' otherwise it will be snapped up by an online buyer.
Be aware of the original sale prices, Fashionphile are not the only ones to do a little 'inflating'. tPF keeps lists of the prices so just do a simple search there.
Finally outside of the US we have to cope with shipping, duty and VAT. UGH!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Steal said:
Ta Daaaaaa.......

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chameleon-handbag-inserts.81019/#post-1257291#p1257291']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chameleon-handbag-inserts.81019/#post-1257291#p1257291[/URL] (www.chameleoninserts.com)

I was so happy with the inserts I started a thread about them! FYI, I'm in Europe and have bought a number of inserts from Kathy. I sent her a $ bank draft in post and it arrived everytime.

I bought the red colour tone for my Damier Speedy.

Thanks Steal!
They look awesome and affordable and durable!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Steal said:
btrflygrl23 said:

I think it is on of the nicer styles currently out and you can't deny it is versatile. I'm sure it is the oft toted LV of choice for Jennifer Love Hewitt too? But there are prettier LV's in that $$ range that don't scream LV. I don't own one but I would pick it up second hand if I saw one. For me it is too 'entry level' looking to justify the $$$. I prefer the work horse speedy/cabas mezzo/sonatine/illuvo & pochette for everyday reliable (cheaper) use.

For you, I would consider the speedy, but if you wanna upgrade the look go for a cabas piano, bagintolles or popincourt and as you suggested the palermo too. Just go try them on, you will know the ONE when you see/feel it.

Steal lol about the Jennifer Love Hewitt thing SO true too!
I am beginning to come to the realization that for my 1st I really do need to stick with a super classic, workhorse as you said piece and the Speedy is a great bet.
I'm going to the store this weekend to look at all the styles and then try them and I agree the 'one' may just pop out at that time but for now I'm leaning very heavily toward the speedy.
I can upgrade down the road.
Now the big question is Speedy in Monogram or Damier????? Steal your thoughts?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
[quote="btrflygrl23]Now the big question is Speedy in Monogram or Damier????? Steal your thoughts?[/quote]

Both :devil: .

My 1st ever was mono speedy 30. For my second I wanted the damier speedy 25, but they didn't make it then, so I got the 30.

I use the damier all the time because I don't have to worry about babying the vachetta and carrying a plastic bag in case of rain. But I remember it was a big deal for me to buy my mono speedy. I felt like I achieved something :praise: . Silly I know - but whatever floats you boat! LV floats mine.

Having owned the two I would vote for damier, but being an enthusiast, buy the mono.

Buy the strap too, new or second hand. I think new it was about €100 or so, maybe €140? Well worth it!

And shhh, get a luggage tag while you are there. They are about €25 and you can get them to heatstamp your initials - some can do it while you wait, some will mail it on. I love them! You can 'personalise' your bag without the mon monogram pricetag and well, I love them! But please keep it a secret or everybody will want one....

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My very first LV bag was a Mono Speedy 30. I bought it 4 years ago and carried it 5 times - maybe. I bought an insert for it too. It looks brand new, and I pull it out every now and then thinking I should carry it. It just doesn't work for me. I always thought I might carry it if I had a strap for it, but I don't like it enough to spend the money on the strap. My next purchase was the Batignolles Horizontal, and I still grab it before any of my other bags. It's the only bag I have carried so much that the vachetta has turned dark. I still love it!

I love the looks of the Galleria, but I wasn't aware of the issues Steal posted. But then again, I stopped getting on tpf. I got hooked on buying expensive purses! Good luck shopping!!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh so excited you made your decision! My first bag was the Mono Speedy 25, but I prefer the look of the Damier. But you definitely can't get more classic than a Monogram Speedy, so if you're looking for a super classic piece, the Monogram would be your best bet. Either way, can't go wrong!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
deegee said:
My very first LV bag was a Mono Speedy 30. I bought it 4 years ago and carried it 5 times - maybe. I bought an insert for it too. It looks brand new, and I pull it out every now and then thinking I should carry it. It just doesn't work for me. I always thought I might carry it if I had a strap for it, but I don't like it enough to spend the money on the strap. My next purchase was the Batignolles Horizontal, and I still grab it before any of my other bags. It's the only bag I have carried so much that the vachetta has turned dark. I still love it!

I love the looks of the Galleria, but I wasn't aware of the issues Steal posted. But then again, I stopped getting on tpf. I got hooked on buying expensive purses! Good luck shopping!!!!
I AM so glad you posted that you love this bag, because boy do I want to love mine. My husband gave it to me a couple years ago for Christmas. How in the world do you keep the outside strap on your shoulder? Is there something wrong with my shoulders?
I have to always walk with my hand on the bag, holding the strap, or the outside one falls off. I am amazed you've worn yours enough to darken the leather.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
btrflygrl23, now I know you said you have a LV boutique nearby..... Did you try on some purses yet? :devil:

Don't leave us hanging....

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Steal I haven't gone yet we had our Thanksgiving holiday here so had family stuff to do. I'm trying to get to the store next weekend so Oct 17/18th and then I'll know for sure and likely buy something as I'm not one to go try on and resist buying! :Up_to_something:

I'm heavily leaning toward the Damier Ebene Speedy 30... =)
I'll be back and I absolutely will not leave my fellow PSers hanging!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
btrflygrl23 said:
Steal I haven't gone yet we had our Thanksgiving holiday here so had family stuff to do. I'm trying to get to the store next weekend so Oct 17/18th and then I'll know for sure and likely buy something as I'm not one to go try on and resist buying! :Up_to_something:

...counting on her fingers.... today is the 15th so 16,17,18 makes 3 days max? Right?

I can almost smell it.

Let me know eh? And sharing includes pictures. :naughty:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
btrflygrl23 said:

...counting on her fingers.... today is the 15th so 16,17,18 makes 3 days max? Right?

I can almost smell it.

Let me know eh? And sharing includes pictures. :naughty:

Today is the 18th!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Steal I didn't forget I did go to the store to try on purses but I actually went to the one in San Fransisco the one on Market Street and I had so much fun and I decided firmly on getting the Speedy 30 in the Damier Ebene but we traveled with only carry on and didn't have the space and were not down long enough to be able to declare the purchase. So I decided to just come back to Vancouver and get it here from the one store we have.
Alas, I get here and they don't have the Speedy 30 in stock in the Ebene just the azure. So on the wait list I went ~ 3weeks. I'm in count down mode until then and then I'll be back with my pics.
I'm bummed. I wish I had just got it in San Fran and paid the extra duty to bring it back but FI figured just get it at home, they'll have it for sure...ya right... :((

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Btrfly, that sucks! You will love that Speedy though! My first LV purchase was a Classic Speedy 25 and I still love it today! 3 weeks seems like a long while but it will be well worth the wait! Did you look into the luggage tag that Steal recommended?

Steal, I am going to look into that whenever I buy another LV!!! Is it just monogrammed with your initials on it?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooh. Thanks for the update. I understand avoiding your wanting to buy it locally but it is sad that your local store had to waitlist you. I think it is down to the enforced Christmas/holidays shortage LV are going on about. They think that by reducing store stock levels or available to purchase levels they will ensure consistent levels up to and for the holidays. In other words they want to hype up the holiday rush even earlier because people think they won't get their bag of choice unless they go NOW.

Anyhoo, glad you are waitlisted.

Warning Crazy LV fanatic advice:

Do check the bag over FULLY when you purchase. I did have a problem with my 1st damier speedy anad they replaced it with a new one. So...check the alignment of the pattern, that seaming stitches are even, the integrity of all seams esp. internally. When they bring out the bag ask if they have 2 to choose from then ask for a min to look it over. This is normal! Check the purse forum for complaints about new bags so you know what to look for. Also ask for the paper printed receipt if they only offer the till receipt. It will be LV headed paper with your details and the purchase details. Also if you want a box and bag make sure you insist on one. LV has an eco policy so they will not offer this usually. If they say they are out of stock ask that they note the request for a box as you plan to store it in the box and when you can come back to collect it. Plus get the current catalogue while you are in store.

I'm ssooooooooo excited for you! I hope you had a nice time in the store.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01 said:
Btrfly, that sucks! You will love that Speedy though! My first LV purchase was a Classic Speedy 25 and I still love it today! 3 weeks seems like a long while but it will be well worth the wait! Did you look into the luggage tag that Steal recommended?

Steal, I am going to look into that whenever I buy another LV!!! Is it just monogrammed with your initials on it?

Shhhhhh. Everybody will want one! :devil:

Yeah, just initials. I would love to post pics but they kinda give my name away with the whole initials thing. Hmm, If I get time tomorrow I'll see if I can sufficiently blur a photo. Leave it with me. If not tomorrow then the weekend - keep an eye out.
So LV is your 'bag' too? It is such an addiction.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
lizzyann01 said:

Shhhhhh. Everybody will want one! :devil:

Yeah, just initials. I would love to post pics but they kinda give my name away with the whole initials thing. Hmm, If I get time tomorrow I'll see if I can sufficiently blur a photo. Leave it with me. If not tomorrow then the weekend - keep an eye out.
So LV is your 'bag' too? It is such an addiction.

Ha!!! You are so funny Steal!!! I would love to see the luggage tag when you get a minute! I love all of your advice to btrfly too! All valid points for a pricey purchase. My first EVER LV purchase was on my honeymoon 7 years ago in Maui. I had my eye on a Speedy and we saw an LV store there and had the BEST shopping experience so I bought it. They gave us champagne and were so nice! And considering a Speedy isn't the priciest of bags, I was thrilled that they went above and beyond for me! That started my love for designer handbags. I went on to work for a major retaillers buying office in NY and we actually got an employee discount on LV so I bought some other items/accessories. Then I got involved with Prada, Burberry, and Gucci. I don't have a lot of pieces but I LOVE the pieces I own. Now I have an 18 month old son so priorities have changed, I have my eye on a couple of things, but I want a big a$$ eternity band first!!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01 said:
Ha!!! You are so funny Steal!!! I would love to see the luggage tag when you get a minute! I love all of your advice to btrfly too! All valid points for a pricey purchase. My first EVER LV purchase was on my honeymoon 7 years ago in Maui. I had my eye on a Speedy and we saw an LV store there and had the BEST shopping experience so I bought it. They gave us champagne and were so nice! And considering a Speedy isn't the priciest of bags, I was thrilled that they went above and beyond for me! That started my love for designer handbags. I went on to work for a major retaillers buying office in NY and we actually got an employee discount on LV so I bought some other items/accessories. Then I got involved with Prada, Burberry, and Gucci. I don't have a lot of pieces but I LOVE the pieces I own. Now I have an 18 month old son so priorities have changed, I have my eye on a couple of things, but I want a big a$$ eternity band first!!!

That was a great 1st experience and it worked - you came back to LV. Would you believe I own some of the more obscure LV's but not a mono 25? It is absolutely on my must-get list. I'm glad you still use yours - some people have given up on the speedy's in the thoughts that as they are so well copied they wouldn't want their friends to assume theirs is fake. For me, Speedy's are and will always be, just perfect ;)) . (Very belated) congratulations on your son! I am TTC and baby mad at the moment. I don't love most of the 'new' bags LV have brought out the last 3 or so years - they are just not my style. So my collection is pretty much complete - for the moment. I still have to scratch the itch and buy the MC speedy 30 oh and my le fab ( :love: ): One day you will be mine. sigh. Good luck finding and grabbing the perfect eternity!

And so, I hope you will please forgive me for this picture. (You know I'm almost at the point that I want to share my name online. I 'know' so many ladies here that I feel strange being called by my screen name. Eventually I will do it. Maybe. Until then you must forgive this 'smudged' picture.) You will get the general impression and it is pretty. I have more tags than this but I pulled out the most complimentary looks on the speedys in honour of Btrfly's purchase-to-be. These are the only speedy's I own and yes the cerises had plastic on the handles. It was repaired and I asked the rep to keep on the plastic - BIG MISTAKE - I cannot bear to take it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

usethisonesteal2010.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results