shape
carat
color
clarity

1.8 carat Portuguese cut Tananian pink spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 3:43:14 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 12/26/2009 3:09:47 PM
Author: Gailey
SL, can you slap your new stone on the back of your hand and take a picture of it please? I''d like to see how much it stands out against your skin.

LOL Gailey, SL sounds funny when you say it.
9.gif
But I totally agree with you about the diamond-like quality of the spinel! I love it, and it''s so crisp and clear.

TL, thanks for the pics! Now that I''ve seen the Malaya and spinel next to each other, my eyes are drawn to the spinel so much more. Gosh, it looks so much like a pink diamond. I believe the Malaya has a slightly darker, deeper tone, more pad-like. But the spinel is bigger!

Quick question though: Which one has more sparkle/brilliance? This would make a gorgeous 3-stone
31.gif

By the way, gorgeous family shot. I''ll take the new spinel and tsav please!
PR, actually the spinel is smaller. The garnet is almost 3 carats, and the spinel is 1.8 carats, but since it''s sitting a little further to the camera, it might look bigger ????

I WISH it were a pink diamond. If I set it in a diamond encrusted setting, I suppose it might give the illusion of a pink diamond, but nothing is quite like a pink diamond, is it?
2.gif

The Malaya is definitely more orange than pink, but when I set it rose gold, it took a little away from the pink. I''m rethinking of setting a sphene I have in that setting instead.

The spinel definitely wins the sparkle/brilliance contest, but if the Malaya were Portuguese faceted, it would be interesting to see that as well. It might also darken the color if the Malaya was Portuguese faceted, but who knows for sure. I love the Portuguese faceting on the other garnet in the photo, the tsavorite. Barry''s supernova cuts are very pretty and I think they handle light differently, but in such a way where there is very little extinction. They''re both very pretty cuts, but pretty for different reasons.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That new spinel puts the poor Malaya to shame. It''s pinker (made the Malaya look brownish by comparison), more brilliant and more saturated. The poor Malaya.
19.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 10:16:46 PM
Author: Chrono
That new spinel puts the poor Malaya to shame. It''s pinker (made the Malaya look brownish by comparison), more brilliant and more saturated. The poor Malaya.
19.gif
Hence the reason I''m putting a sphene in that setting. You know, I liked the malaya more, before it was set in the RG. It does look much better in sunlight too and evening incandescents.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 11:44:06 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 12/26/2009 11:05:37 AM

Author: stepcutnut

Date: 12/25/2009 9:37:42 PM

Date: 12/25/2009 9:21:52 PM

That will look gorgeous, is it the single baguette setting?

Thanks SCN,

Yes, it's the tapered baguette LOGR that LTP and BrownEyedGirl have quite a few of. I love that setting.

I bet it will be gorgeous in that setting, can't wait to see pics! The setting is much better looking in person too, I have had that setting with a RG basket and WG shank for my oval pinkish lavender spinel sitting around since July and still haven't taken it in to be set-how silly it that! What color gold did you choose?

I had it made in 14K white gold. I'm pretty excited. What pinkish lavender spinel are you talking about. I have the worst memory. Did you start a thread? Pictures????
2.gif
9.gif
I doubt I have a thread on it(or any pictures of it), I really haven't posted much of what I've purchased in the last 6-7 months. I think that your purple spinel will look really nice set in WG!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love that spinels are the less expensive stones to corundum and can be quite as lovely! What a lovely pinky-orange pad color. It reminds me a little of my pink tourmaline that I got from Gemline.....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks CCN,
I just found out it has really nice super hot pink fluorescence, so if the sun ever comes out one of these days . . .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 8:54:58 AM

I had it made in 14K white gold. I''m pretty excited. What pinkish lavender spinel are you talking about. I have the worst memory. Did you start a thread? Pictures????
2.gif
9.gif
I doubt I have a thread on it(or any pictures of it), I really haven''t posted much of what I''ve purchased in the last 6-7 months. I think that your purple spinel will look really nice set in WG!
SCN,
Shame on you!!
23.gif
You must post pictures!!!
31.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 9:13:54 AM
Date: 12/28/2009 8:54:58 AM

I had it made in 14K white gold. I''m pretty excited. What pinkish lavender spinel are you talking about. I have the worst memory. Did you start a thread? Pictures????
2.gif
9.gif

I doubt I have a thread on it(or any pictures of it), I really haven''t posted much of what I''ve purchased in the last 6-7 months. I think that your purple spinel will look really nice set in WG!

SCN,

Shame on you!!
23.gif
You must post pictures!!!
31.gif
I know shame on me! Maybe someday soon!!!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I love it. Spinels are fabulous and the color is lovely.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 9:12:28 AM
Thanks CCN,
I just found out it has really nice super hot pink fluorescence, so if the sun ever comes out one of these days . . .

EWW! that will be lovely to see!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 11:48:38 AM
Author: PinkAsscher678
Well, I love it. Spinels are fabulous and the color is lovely.
Thank you PinkAsscher!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 8:48:16 PM
Author: cushioncutnut

Date: 12/28/2009 9:12:28 AM
Thanks CCN,

EWW! that will be lovely to see!!
I''m pretty excited about getting some pics in the sun.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results