shape
carat
color
clarity

1.8 carat Portuguese cut Tananian pink spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, SCN, I didn''t realize you and TL both get from the same person. It turns out to be a much smaller world than I expected.
3.gif

TL, thanks for the group shot. It gives me a good idea of how the colour compares to the rest of your new acquisitions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 4:17:16 PM
Author: stepcutnut

I know it is funny isn''t it-what a small world :) It was pretty easy for me to figure out it was you(even with your private feedback) by the # of stones we''ve each bid on at the same time and then you posted them on PS. I have purchased alot of stones and jewelry on ebay over the years and usually find some fun things!
Actually, I don''t bid as much as buy it outright from the seller, or make offers to them outside of ebay. I don''t care much for auctions on ebay, I detest bidding because I rarely win that way. There''s one ebay seller that a lot of people resell stones from (not saying who) that only does auctions. Haven''t won an auction from them ever, even though I bid a few times. However, a lot of my stones look similar to what they''re selling.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks oddoneout.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 6:24:47 PM
Author: Chrono

TL, thanks for the group shot. It gives me a good idea of how the colour compares to the rest of your new acquisitions.
Glad the new shot helps you Chrono. When I take it out of the shade, it has a lot of blue sparkles in incandescent lighting, but it's hard to capture on camera. I'm still dying for the sun to come out so I can get some sunlight shots. I'm definitely going to set this one. I really wish you could see it in person. Like my tsavorite, the true color really is shy for the camera. It sometimes looks padparadsha like, and at other times, it looks like a pink sapphire with blue flashes. One thing is for sure, it's a firecracker.

ETA: speaking of my new acquisitions, Stephan mailed my LOGR for my new violet spinel in that same picture. I'm so excited to set it!! It's tapered baguettes (no halo!!).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 8:23:04 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It's tapered baguettes (no halo!!).

23.gif
23.gif
No halo?!
3.gif

I'm sure it'll look awesome!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: speaking of my new acquisitions, Stephan mailed my LOGR for my new violet spinel in that same picture. I''m so excited to set it!! It''s tapered baguettes (no halo!!).
TL,
Is that you? Are you running a fever or something?
11.gif
9.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 7:56:02 PM
Date: 12/25/2009 4:17:16 PM

I know it is funny isn''t it-what a small world :) It was pretty easy for me to figure out it was you(even with your private feedback) by the # of stones we''ve each bid on at the same time and then you posted them on PS. I have purchased alot of stones and jewelry on ebay over the years and usually find some fun things!

Actually, I don''t bid as much as buy it outright from the seller, or make offers to them outside of ebay. I don''t care much for auctions on ebay, I detest bidding because I rarely win that way. There''s one ebay seller that a lot of people resell stones from (not saying who) that only does auctions. Haven''t won an auction from them ever, even though I bid a few times. However, a lot of my stones look similar to what they''re selling.
I used to think that they must just be similar stones too, until you posted one very distinct stone and then relized it was really you-what a small world huh!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 6:24:47 PM

Glad the new shot helps you Chrono. When I take it out of the shade, it has a lot of blue sparkles in incandescent lighting, but it''s hard to capture on camera. I''m still dying for the sun to come out so I can get some sunlight shots. I''m definitely going to set this one. I really wish you could see it in person. Like my tsavorite, the true color really is shy for the camera. It sometimes looks padparadsha like, and at other times, it looks like a pink sapphire with blue flashes. One thing is for sure, it''s a firecracker.

ETA: speaking of my new acquisitions, Stephan mailed my LOGR for my new violet spinel in that same picture. I''m so excited to set it!! It''s tapered baguettes (no halo!!).
That will look gorgeous, is it the single baguette setting?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 1:40:12 PM

Thank you BlingAddict and Mr. Ma Rae.

Here''s a shot of it next to some of my favorite spinels and my new tsavorite. This newest stone is all the way to the left. I love the cutting. The spinel next to it is a Burmese raspberry pink. The one all the way to the right is my new violet. I put the cuprian ring in there because I''m considering 18K yellow gold and that ring is 18K yellow gold.

I like this shaded picture because it really shows off the faceting. Whomever the cutter was, he/she did a job I would expect from a top precision faceter. The polish, the facet meets, everything about the cutting, is impeccable. I suspect my tsavorite was done by the same cutter. It has almost identical proportions and cutting to this stone, and sparkles like crazy too.

I love it, but I am a pink person. The cut of the stone is very pretty. This particular picture you took is fabulous and so clear!!
36.gif
36.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 8:56:22 PM

TL,
11.gif
9.gif
So glad to see you branching out a bit. First a stone with orange overtones in some lighting, then a setting with no halo. It will be fun to see.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 9:21:52 PM

Thanks SCN,
Yes, it''s the tapered baguette LOGR that LTP and BrownEyedGirl have quite a few of. I love that setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 9:28:27 PM
Author: mochi

I love it, but I am a pink person. The cut of the stone is very pretty. This particular picture you took is fabulous and so clear!!
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you Mochi!! The picture actually could be better, but after a gazillion shots, that was the best I could muster. I love pink too!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 9:30:53 PM
Author: Fly Girl
So glad to see you branching out a bit. First a stone with orange overtones in some lighting, then a setting with no halo. It will be fun to see.
1.gif
I know, LOL!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
18k YG sounds like a good idea. Some diamonds near by can''t hurt, but I''d try to keep it looking more delicate (maybe something with a floral feel to it...). Just throwing out ideas.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Your pink spinel is sooo gorgeous & sparkly - I would love to have something similar..
30.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 9:37:42 PM

Thanks SCN,

Yes, it's the tapered baguette LOGR that LTP and BrownEyedGirl have quite a few of. I love that setting.
I bet it will be gorgeous in that setting, can't wait to see pics! The setting is much better looking in person too, I have had that setting with a RG basket and WG shank for my oval pinkish lavender spinel sitting around since July and still haven't taken it in to be set-how silly it that! What color gold did you choose?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mr. Ma Rae,
Yes, a few diamonds close by never hurts.

Thanks Vigorruby!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 11:05:37 AM

Date: 12/25/2009 9:37:42 PM

Thanks SCN,

Yes, it''s the tapered baguette LOGR that LTP and BrownEyedGirl have quite a few of. I love that setting.
I bet it will be gorgeous in that setting, can''t wait to see pics! The setting is much better looking in person too, I have had that setting with a RG basket and WG shank for my oval pinkish lavender spinel sitting around since July and still haven''t taken it in to be set-how silly it that! What color gold did you choose?
I had it made in 14K white gold. I''m pretty excited. What pinkish lavender spinel are you talking about. I have the worst memory. Did you start a thread? Pictures????
2.gif
9.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, what a beautiful spinel! I agree with other posters who see a pad-like, orangy-pink color in some photos, which ain''t a bad thing at all. But I have to say, your Malaya is my favorite pink in your collection.
37.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 2:03:24 PM
Author: platinumrock
TL, what a beautiful spinel! I agree with other posters who see a pad-like, orangy-pink color in some photos, which ain''t a bad thing at all. But I have to say, your Malaya is my favorite pink in your collection.
37.gif
Thanks PR,
My malaya is nice, but I think this one is definitely more saturated in pink color. The malaya tends to go a bit more orange in certain lighting. Pictures do not do this poor spinel justice unfortunately. I can''t wait to see what it looks like in the sun. One of these days when it decides to come out (maybe in the spring - LOL!!).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

TL,
11.gif
9.gif
LOL Chrono, you are so bad!
11.gif
I have to give kudos to TL for branching out and exploring different options. I can totally see 18K YG with this stone, and the tapered baguettes will be classic and elegant.

I don''t have a halo or 18K YG in my collection, and I definitely need one!

TL, can I oblige you with a shot of your Malaya and this pink spinel? I''d love to see how they compare to each other! I may have a new favorite if this one holds up better in color.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 2:20:23 PM
Author: platinumrock

TL,
11.gif
9.gif
LOL Chrono, you are so bad!
11.gif
I have to give kudos to TL for branching out and exploring different options. I can totally see 18K YG with this stone, and the tapered baguettes will be classic and elegant.

I don''t have a halo or 18K YG in my collection, and I definitely need one!

TL, can I oblige you with a shot of your Malaya and this pink spinel? I''d love to see how they compare to each other! I may have a new favorite if this one holds up better in color.
3.gif
The malaya is more orangey-pink, and the spinel is more pink than orange. Here''s a together shot in diffused natural light and incandescent lighting combo.

TLmalayaandspinel1.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 1:00:35 AM
Author: colormyworld
I looked at the pictures of the spinels you sent back to MC and while the cutting is better on the stone in this thread. In my honest opinion I really don''t think the color on this stone is in the same league with the ones from MC. I guess that is just me though. Differnces is what makes the world go round.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mahenge-spinels.116882/
Interesting point from CMW. But I do think it''s a bit like comparing apples with oranges in this case. The pale pink one looks a bit more diamond like. I have a pale blue (aqua coloured) spinel thats an emerald cut and that sparkles like mad, so goodness knows what this one must be like.

The glow-ey looking ones such as the ones in the other thread hold a totally different appeal

Just my 2 cents worth.

So TL, are we to start calling you SL in the New Year?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an out of focus shot of my three latest stones, but it gives you an idea of the sparkle coming off of then. Tsavorite, and two spinels (pink and violet).

Malaya ring is in there too I think the Malaya looks best in the sun, but there's no sun today
15.gif

The Malaya was from Barry at acstones.

TLsparklecity.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 2:53:56 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 12/25/2009 1:00:35 AM
Author: colormyworld
I looked at the pictures of the spinels you sent back to MC and while the cutting is better on the stone in this thread. In my honest opinion I really don''t think the color on this stone is in the same league with the ones from MC. I guess that is just me though. Differnces is what makes the world go round.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mahenge-spinels.116882/
Interesting point from CMW. But I do think it''s a bit like comparing apples with oranges in this case. The pale pink one looks a bit more diamond like. I have a pale blue (aqua coloured) spinel thats an emerald cut and that sparkles like mad, so goodness knows what this one must be like.

The glow-ey looking ones such as the ones in the other thread hold a totally different appeal

Just my 2 cents worth.

So TL, are we to start calling you SL in the New Year?
Gailey,
Well, I have a new hot pink tourmaline from Nigeria with precision faceting, but I haven''t posted a lot of pictures of it yet. It''s quite amazing in color. Hot hot pink with blue flashes, and no color shift. . . so I don''t know if we can call me SL yet. LOL!!

I do agree that the new one is very diamond like in it''s sparkle factor, and the two MC.com mahenges were not very crystal, but more sleepy due to the silk in them. I prefer this one to those because of the sparkle factor and the color is nicely saturated, even though the photos don''t really bring it out as much as I wish. It is a medium light tone, and when the light hits it, you can get a bit blinded.
emdgust.gif
LOL!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
SL, can you slap your new stone on the back of your hand and take a picture of it please? I''d like to see how much it stands out against your skin.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2009 3:09:47 PM
SL, can you slap your new stone on the back of your hand and take a picture of it please? I'd like to see how much it stands out against your skin.
This was taken in my car, on a cloudy day. Natural diffused light. You can see a bit of the blue sparkles coming from it here. Ignore my parchment paper super dry skin.

TLpinkspinelskin.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Can someone tell me the RI and dispersion rates of spinels vs. garnets?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a particular reason you want to know? The malaya has chunkier faceting, so it doesn't have all the tiny points of light that the Portuguese faceting on the tsavorite and the spinel give out.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 3:09:47 PM
SL, can you slap your new stone on the back of your hand and take a picture of it please? I''d like to see how much it stands out against your skin.

LOL Gailey, SL sounds funny when you say it.
9.gif
But I totally agree with you about the diamond-like quality of the spinel! I love it, and it''s so crisp and clear.

TL, thanks for the pics! Now that I''ve seen the Malaya and spinel next to each other, my eyes are drawn to the spinel so much more. Gosh, it looks so much like a pink diamond. I believe the Malaya has a slightly darker, deeper tone, more pad-like. But the spinel is bigger!

Quick question though: Which one has more sparkle/brilliance? This would make a gorgeous 3-stone
31.gif

By the way, gorgeous family shot. I''ll take the new spinel and tsav please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results