shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 carat VS2 cushion cut - how does it look?

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
Whats up everyone! I've been lurking this board on and off for the last few months learning random stuff about diamonds, knowing that I would be purchasing one soon. Well last night I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 1.5cc cushion cut stone.

When I first started my search for the center stone of my soon to be fiance's DrEaMS I used the PriceScope to filter my carat wants, and clarity clarity needs. From there I got a general idea of what I'd be paying and began researching all the vendors as I was still kinda sketched to buy a diamond online. I looked into bluenile, jamesallen, ritani ( actually found that one via a fb add targeted towards me because of my recent diamond searches ( creepy if you ask me ). Eventually I settled with enchanteddiamonds because while researching them I found a reddit AMA thread they had a while back that sold me.

Here is the URL:

[ http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k79q5/iama_owner_of_an_online_diamond_company_ama/ ]

Once I decided to use enchanteddiamonds I began sifting through their catalog. It was 11PM so when I saw the livechat feature say I could talk to someone I expected an automated bot but it ended up being a guy named Josh who helped me choose the following diamond from a list of x-factor cushions:

[ https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C150-JGJLGE ]

Anyway, my experience with them was super solid but I just want to know what you guys think about that stone. The ASET rating looks onpoint and to be ideal. The cut looks good, and the thin to very thick was perfect for what I wanted.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi, congrats on the engagement! :clap: I am sorry to say that I am not a fan of the facet pattern and to me and my novice eye the ASET has too much white and black especially under the table for me to get really excited about this one. I have been shopping at BG so that may be part of the problem! I think if you are happy when you see it then keep it and best of luck!

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
bump. any input?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty nice stone...it's got plenty of red under the table. There is some mush at a lower level but it is a cushion so
a little of that is expected. I think its a good choice.

What I dont understand is why a stone like that that has a decent aset and a nice faceting pattern scores a 96.9 while a stone like
this that is all mush under the table, basically no red under the table and an unattractive faceting pattern scores a 100???

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C182-U4KFDP

Anyway, I think its a nice stone...what are you going to set it it?

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1426163291|3845993 said:
I think it's a pretty nice stone...it's got plenty of red under the table. There is some mush at a lower level but it is a cushion so

What I dont understand is why a stone like that that has a decent aset and a nice faceting pattern scores a 96.9 while a stone like
this that is all mush under the table, basically no red under the table and an unattractive faceting pattern scores a 100???

Anyway, I think its a nice stone...what are you going to set it it!

I'm not sure about how the rating works, I think it takes color into the mix too. I am getting a custom made setting through them too. halo w/ diamonds down the band. I should have the first designs in by today. Feels good!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I am glad to hear that tyty likes the stone! I really like the AVC pattern but that I think is really individual to the wearer. Best of luck! That is a really interesting point about the cut number...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ismaiL92|1426163584|3845995 said:
tyty333|1426163291|3845993 said:

Anyway, I think its a nice stone...what are you going to set it it!

I'm not sure about how the rating works, I think it takes color into the mix too. I am getting a custom made setting through them too. halo w/ diamonds down the band. I should have the first designs in by today. Feels good!

The color of the stone? It should NOT take the color of the stone into account for the grade it is given. I would be very
surprised if they did this.

Did you buy your main stone through them? How did you go about picking it? Post pictures when your ring is finished! Very exciting!

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
Yep! I got my main stone from them:

I chose it by weighing the factors that meant the most to me. First being cut, then I did balance between clarity, and size. I also decided if I was going to get a lesser grade color I would get one with a higher fluorescent. This was just a solid pick. I will keep you all updated.

just to clarify, I have no idea if the color gets incorporated into the search 'cut' score.

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
anymore feedback?? Just got a glimpse of the design :clap:

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
ismaiL92|1426169961|3846040 said:

I chose it by weighing the factors that meant the most to me. First being cut, then I did balance between clarity, and size. I also decided if I was going to get a lesser grade color I would get one with a higher fluorescent. This was just a solid pick. I will keep you all updated.

just to clarify, I have no idea if the color gets incorporated into the search 'cut' score.

This company's 'Cut' score is bogus - as it is an opaque system used to market goods.

Until the details behind how the score is calculated are revealed, ignore it.

In addition, this vendor's rep on Pricescope has a very tenuous grasp on basic diamond knowledge, such as eye-cleanliness.

You would be best served by working with GOG or BE to find a great cushion.

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1426190060|3846196 said:

This company's 'Cut' score is bogus - as it is an opaque system used to market goods.

In addition, this vendor's rep on Pricescope has a very tenuous grasp on basic diamond knowledge, such as eye-cleanliness.

Hey man! Thanks for the feedback. I'll send them an email later and ask more about the cut score stuff. What about the stone specifically is throwing you off? I was judging off the GIA cert mostly, and the guy that helped me simply made it easier to understand the ratings and what they all meant.

When choosing this vendor I did a lot of snooping/stalking random searches about enchanted. A good technique I used was implementing googledorks to filter out results of what I wanted. starting first with scam, then rating, experience, etc etc. Anyway I did not come to talk about the vendor here as much as I did the stone- but I just want to go on record and say that my experience so far with them has been nothing but positive and I havent seen what you're talking about (yet).

regardless, what is your opinion on the stone? thanks again

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
ismaiL92|1426192476|3846208 said:

Hey man! Thanks for the feedback. I'll send them an email later and ask more about the cut score stuff. What about the stone specifically is throwing you off? I was judging off the GIA cert mostly, and the guy that helped me simply made it easier to understand the ratings and what they all meant.

When choosing this vendor I did a lot of snooping/stalking random searches about enchanted. A good technique I used was implementing googledorks to filter out results of what I wanted. starting first with scam, then rating, experience, etc etc. Anyway I did not come to talk about the vendor here as much as I did the stone- but I just want to go on record and say that my experience so far with them has been nothing but positive and I havent seen what you're talking about (yet).

We don't have enough info to evaluate the stone, but it does appear somewhat leaky. Whether this causes detriment, we are uncertain, as the vendor does not provide this info.

Your filtering technique is okay, but you need to factor in years of experience. That is a (if not the) key component of dependability. GOG has been around since 1957. I believe Enchanted Diamonds started in the past year?

I can tell you that the rep here (Joshua) had not seen enough stones in-person to even understand eye-cleanliness (see previous thread on Enchanted Diamonds), so take anything said with a grain of salt.

That said, if you've already paid and completed the deal, the point is moot.

ismaiL92

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1426193127|3846211 said:

We don't have enough info to evaluate the stone, but it does appear somewhat leaky. Whether this causes detriment, we are uncertain, as the vendor does not provide this info.

Your filtering technique is okay, but you need to factor in years of experience. That is a (if not the) key component of dependability. GOG has been around since 1957. I believe Enchanted Diamonds started in the past year?

I can tell you that the rep here (Joshua) had not seen enough stones in-person to even understand eye-cleanliness (see previous thread on Enchanted Diamonds), so take anything said with a grain of salt.

I can always return it if it does turn out not as wanted, however is there a thread where someone was not satisfied with something from them? Additionally, I can find bad stuff about each vendor.

when I chose this stone, I also chose it out of this list which was also super useful:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamond-shapes/x-factor-cushion

When you say leaky, are you talking about the ASET rating? In your opinion, do you think it was a good purchase?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested to see your setting! Post photos when you get a chance.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
ismaiL92|1426193587|3846214 said:
RockyRacoon|1426193127|3846211 said:

I can always return it if it does turn out not as wanted, however is there a thread where someone was not satisfied with something from them? Additionally, I can find bad stuff about each vendor.

when I chose this stone, I also chose it out of this list which was also super useful:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamond-shapes/x-factor-cushion

When you say leaky, are you talking about the ASET rating? In your opinion, do you think it was a good purchase?

If you find the thread about Enchanted Diamonds and the rep claiming that he has never seen an SI1 stone under 2.5 carats that is not eye-clean, you will see that there are many basic misconceptions, which keeps many from recommending this vendor on any project.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
RockyRacoon,

I was directed to this thread.

Is this the post in question? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-expert-told-me-to-stick-to-measurements-only.210901/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-expert-told-me-to-stick-to-measurements-only.210901/page-3[/URL]

I apologized for my overgeneralization and was very appreciative when you quickly accepted my apology.

In regards to how many diamonds I've seen... I honestly can't count how many - Enchanted Diamonds is a "virtual inventory" based company for the most part, but my family has been in diamond trade for 4 generations primarily on the wholesale side. We often joke that you can't shake any branch of our family tree without loose diamonds falling down ;)) .

Personally, I've traded diamonds in 3 diamond bourses and literally grew up inside the diamond dealers club on 47th street. From a young age I've loved diamonds and what they represent.

Enchanted Diamonds has been in business since 2012, while my family and my business partners family has been in the industry since 1874 in Europe and the Middle East.

I only ask that you get to know me, and more importantly, the team here at Enchanted Diamonds, before making these statements. Our only mission is to help buyers find the perfect diamonds and custom jewelry for their unique needs and preferences.

This post is simply to clarify any misinformation or misunderstandings posted above. Thank you all for your understanding and enthusiasm.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
JoshuaNiamehr|1426196936|3846243 said:
RockyRacoon,

I was directed to this thread.

Is this the post in question? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-expert-told-me-to-stick-to-measurements-only.210901/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-expert-told-me-to-stick-to-measurements-only.210901/page-3[/URL]

I apologized for my overgeneralization and was very appreciative when you quickly accepted my apology.

In regards to how many diamonds I've seen... I honestly can't count how many - Enchanted Diamonds is a "virtual inventory" based company for the most part, but my family has been in diamond trade for 4 generations primarily on the wholesale side. We often joke that you can't shake any branch of our family tree without loose diamonds falling down ;)) .

Personally, I've traded diamonds in 3 diamond bourses and literally grew up inside the diamond dealers club on 47th street. From a young age I've loved diamonds and what they represent.

Enchanted Diamonds has been in business since 2012, while my family and my business partners family has been in the industry since 1874 in Europe and the Middle East.

I only ask that you get to know me, and more importantly, the team here at Enchanted Diamonds, before making these statements. Our only mission is to help buyers find the perfect diamonds and custom jewelry for their unique needs and preferences.

This post is simply to clarify any misinformation or misunderstandings posted above. Thank you all for your understanding and enthusiasm.

Accepting your apology for misinforming consumers is not the same thing as agreeing you are correct.

The fact remains that you had not seen enough stones in person to realize that MANY SI1s under 2.5ct are not eye-clean.

Loving something, and being a trained expert on it, are two different things.

Family reputation is important, but it does not establish any modern legitimacy.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You know what RockyRacoon, I obviously cant win everyone over.

I appreciate your candid response, though I strongly disagree with your assessment.

Hope that in time I can change your perspective :pray:

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another perfectly happy customer of Enchanted diamonds here. I also happen to be a customer who finds the cut score to be quite useful as opposed to bogus. Certainly for round diamonds at least. I try to limit recommendations to the diamonds that score 97 or better and I don't recall seeing any that scored that high without passing the HCA tool as well. There are people who prefer different "flavors" which won't agree with their cut score, but they admit their cut score is in alignment with their tastes and may not suit everyone the same. I don't see what makes it bogus though. What is bogus is Shane Co. factoring color into their cut grading system. To make the "Shane Classic" cut designation it has to be H or better in color, and I saw one of their "Shane Classic" diamonds the other day that scored poorly on the HCA and 77 on the enchanted cut score. THAT is bogus, but what Enchanted has in place is useful IMO.

toade

Rough_Rock
For what it's worth, I had an excellent experience buying my stone from enchanted.

I did not rely on Joshua to pick my stone (users here and elsewhere helped with that), however he was very helpful in getting me ASETs on the two stones I was interested in.

I think when buying from their site you have to do a little more leg work than when buying from GOG... but it saves you a lot of money doing it yourself. Plus, you can't argue with their return policy.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
pfunk|1426200178|3846274 said:
Another perfectly happy customer of Enchanted diamonds here. I also happen to be a customer who finds the cut score to be quite useful as opposed to bogus. Certainly for round diamonds at least. I try to limit recommendations to the diamonds that score 97 or better and I don't recall seeing any that scored that high without passing the HCA tool as well. There are people who prefer different "flavors" which won't agree with their cut score, but they admit their cut score is in alignment with their tastes and may not suit everyone the same. I don't see what makes it bogus though. What is bogus is Shane Co. factoring color into their cut grading system. To make the "Shane Classic" cut designation it has to be H or better in color, and I saw one of their "Shane Classic" diamonds the other day that scored poorly on the HCA and 77 on the enchanted cut score. THAT is bogus, but what Enchanted has in place is useful IMO.

Bogus may have been too harsh of a term. Without transparency, it is quite difficult to truly judge the system on its merits.

We can agree that the Shane Co system is bogus, though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not reading all the comments as I am just responding to the initial post and the issue of the site cut grading. I'd say the number one concern to me about the stone is the very thin to thick girdle (not sure why you are in favor of that?). That much of a variation doesn't usually signify the best cut stones, and a very thin girdle is at risk for chipping. Of course, we have no idea how much of the girdle is very thin. But I would only consider it if you are planning on setting the stone in a halo or in a bezel setting to protect the girdle of the diamond. From the ASET I would call it an above average cushion and I am not opposed to you purchasing it if setting it in a protective setting. (Just looked back and see you are having a halo setting made, so that is good! Please come back with magnified pics so we can see the setting quality.)

I find the ED cut grading helpful with rounds because you can sort of rank the stones with some degree of accuracy in terms of their numbers. But I find that every other cut must be evaluated more by appearance and ASET and less by numbers on a grading report. So I'd take the ED created cut numbers with grain of salt in fancy cuts.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
JoshuaNiamehr|1426198990|3846266 said:

I appreciate your candid response, though I strongly disagree with your assessment.

Interesting, you never tried to change the perspective of the customer you were rude and unprofessional to.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock

Why is the diamond still listed as for sale?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chihuahua6|1426217206|3846443 said:

Why is the diamond still listed as for sale?

Uh, yeah, interesting question.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
Yup, there are many many other interesting things about this post and the posters.....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chihuahua6|1426218464|3846461 said:
Yup, there are many many other interesting things about this post and the posters.....

:naughty:

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chihuahua6|1426216095|3846432 said:
JoshuaNiamehr|1426198990|3846266 said:

Interesting, you never tried to change the perspective of the customer you were rude and unprofessional to.

I would love to but I was never given the opportunity :) And like I said, unfortunately I cant win everyone over. I guess I'm an acquired taste and in turn very lucky that my girlfriend loves me :)

Also the diamond was marked as available by me on error actually... I was making a receipt and wanted to look up the price.

The moderators here are very good at figuring out shill accounts as Im told... So I dont see whats very interesting?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chihuahua6|1426218464|3846461 said:

Oh jeez, don't tell me the private investigators are on the loose again in here. Let me know when you crack this case wide open. :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results