shape
carat
color
clarity

Rectangular cushion vs square ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
That culet isn''t even visible! LOL
28.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And here is perhaps what might be considered between the 2. These last 2 are favs for me personally. Hope this helps.

gogsig.JPG

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino what are the stats on that one???

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 5:18:38 PM
Author: CrookedRock
That culet isn''t even visible! LOL
28.gif
Nope. Not visible on any of these.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 5:21:35 PM
Rhino what are the stats on that one???
Which one? Crushed, chunky or last one?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I''m guessing #2 might be say.... 3.17ct...lol!
What is the last one?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jon if you get a chance post the DC wire frame images for those 3.
links too the gem files would be nice too.
I can generate the wire frames from the gem files if needed.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 5:26:11 PM
I''m guessing #2 might be say.... 3.17ct...lol!
What is the last one?
HEY YOU!
9.gif

The 2nd stone I posted in this thread is the chunky one. That is a 3.12ct F VS2. Here are all 3 side by side but not in the same order I just posted them in this thread (which was crushed, chunky, and in between).

In the graphic below ... crushed, med & chunky.

The one in the center is 3.17.
2.gif

IMG1223.JPG

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
SO I guess the 3.17 is what th OP was referring to as the inbetween stone. The one on the right, beautiful, but seems to have a little bowtie thing going on... But F color!!! Yumms!

Maybe you can help explain to us why it is so hard to find these lil guys.(I guess big for us...lol) It seems that there aren''t many to pick from... Why???

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 5:30:40 PM
Author: strmrdr
Not till Tues/Wed but sure I would.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 6:10:20 PM
Author: Rhino

Date: 2/23/2008 5:30:40 PM
Author: strmrdr
Not till Tues/Wed but sure I would.
thanks!!!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 5:50:06 PM
SO I guess the 3.17 is what th OP was referring to as the inbetween stone. The one on the right, beautiful, but seems to have a little bowtie thing going on... But F color!!! Yumms!

Maybe you can help explain to us why it is so hard to find these lil guys.(I guess big for us...lol) It seems that there aren''t many to pick from... Why???
Haha... Good question. That''s becuase they cost so much to find. Shipping round trip on a 40-50k diamond just to see can run from $275 to $320 on a round trip ticket. Multiply that by a few stones and if you''re trying to compete with Internet brokers markups it becomes VERY unmotivating for a store/vendor to take the initiative to spend $1000-$1500 to have diamonds shipped in only to find a broker listing the diamond for less profit than what you just paid for in shipping.

Not to mention the fact that chunky faceted cushions with great light performance are becoming harder and harder to find.

Peace,

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
YUM-MY cushions, Rhino, especially #3!!! Me likey. #2 looks like one of those lovely Daniel K style cushions with that amazing symmetry. Regarding CrookedRock''s quest for an antique style cushion - won''t they all have some bowtie action happening with that style??? By bowtie, I''m thinking bowtie facets, but not bowtie as in dead zone.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I check out for a few hours and so much is happening here.

Rhino, thank you so much helping me understand what''s bugging me about
these cushions. I am going to read and reread all your answers and those of the others
as well. Trying to find one of these baby''s is tough going. The stone that is referred to
as the "in between" stone is indeed what I like. CrookedRock, good instinct there!
I''m curious what the specs are on it, specifically the measurements and L to R.

Like CrookedRock, why is it so difficult to find these? Obviously there is a demand,
or is there?

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 10:38:53 PM
Author: bebe

Rhino, thank you so much helping me understand what''s bugging me about
these cushions. I am going to read and reread all your answers and those of the others
as well. Trying to find one of these baby''s is tough going. The stone that is referred to
as the ''in between'' stone is indeed what I like. CrookedRock, good instinct there!
I''m curious what the specs are on it, specifically the measurements and L to R.

Like CrookedRock, why is it so difficult to find these? Obviously there is a demand,
or is there?
WOW! We really are after the same thing. I can tell you that it is 1:13 ratio. Not as rectangular as I would normally desire, but it is gorgeous!!!! It still blows me away there isn''t more of these on the market!!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 5:16:26 PM
Author: Rhino
Here's an awesome chunky faceted cushion that just arrived.
That looks similar to a G I liked just under 2 carats. With my favorite of these, I noticed that the keel length was cut to the length-width difference allowing the four widest mains to be cut at the same 41º angle, which doesn't otherwise seem possible without the keel for a rectangular stone. I have wondered if that contributes to the good performance. DG I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also I think there's a least one major firm up there that does this style fairly consistently. A smaller cutter I asked about duplicating one immediately said (correctly, to my surprise) "that looks like a xx cushion".

If someone can't stand any hint of a bow tie they need to choose door number 2. They are pretty stones stones. But in my eyes they can't hold a candle to what's behind door number 3
1.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Elmo,
I know what a keel is on a boat, and I''m trying to translate that to a diamond,
but I''m in the dark, can you explain that to me? Thanks!

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 12:06:09 PM
Author: pixley
MoreMoreMore, Bargaincrazy, Neatfreak, and (I think) Addlepated all have cushion brilliants with the same facet plot as MrsSalvo''s cushion but in varying L/W ratios.

Yes! Mine is a 1.12 ratio and came from ERD.

addfire.jpg

It is extremely fiery, very similar to what a round brilliant looks like. Its diagram looks just like the one that MrsSalvo posted. There is no bow tie in it.

Here''s what the Idealscope image on that stone looks like:

addcush2is.jpg

(It''s off with Maytal Hannah being set and I''m so lonesome without it!)

P.S. Rhino, I am DROOLING over that 3+ carater. Someday...

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 4:04:06 AM
Author: Addlepated

MoreMoreMore, Bargaincrazy, Neatfreak, and (I think) Addlepated all have cushion brilliants with the same facet plot as MrsSalvo's cushion but in varying L/W ratios.

It is extremely fiery, very similar to what a round brilliant looks like. Its diagram looks just like the one that MrsSalvo posted. There is no bow tie in it.

Here's what the Idealscope image on that stone looks like:

(It's off with Maytal Hannah being set and I'm so lonesome without it!)

SOOO pretty. I have a question for you. Would you say that a 1:13 ratio stone would be too "stumpy" to set east west?? I am thinking it needs to be more rectangular than that. Any thoughts?
33.gif

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 8:36:28 AM

SOOO pretty. I have a question for you. Would you say that a 1:13 ratio stone would be too ''stumpy'' to set east west?? I am thinking it needs to be more rectangular than that. Any thoughts?
33.gif

Thanks! About E/W setting - good question. On mine, it still looks like it might be a round from a distance of more than a few feet, so the effect would probably get lost. Up close it might be pretty. Personally, I think that it might be too low a ratio to do it, but everyone''s got different opinions on stuff.
1.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I was afraid you would say that. As I am sure you have read in this thread. My search has turned up all of 2 stones, and I really had my lil heart set on a east west setting from Leon, but I am scared that it isn''t going to work with such a square ratio. my options so far are 1:13 and 1:14... Maybe one of them will be so gorgeous that I will just want it enough to sent it normally.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 6:12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply! I was afraid you would say that. As I am sure you have read in this thread. My search has turned up all of 2 stones, and I really had my lil heart set on a east west setting from Leon, but I am scared that it isn't going to work with such a square ratio. my options so far are 1:13 and 1:14... Maybe one of them will be so gorgeous that I will just want it enough to sent it normally.
Don't worry, CR, your stone is out there. You're looking for a pretty large stone with fairly specific parameters, so it's sort of a waiting game at this point, but keep searching and it will turn up. My search took about 3 and a half months and was very discouraging at times, but in the end, I'm glad I didn't settle for anything less than exactly what I wanted. If you're going to the trouble of putting it into a Leon Mege setting, you may as well wait until you get your ideal diamond, whatever that may be.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 6:44:28 PM
YUM-MY cushions, Rhino, especially #3!!! Me likey. #2 looks like one of those lovely Daniel K style cushions with that amazing symmetry. Regarding CrookedRock''s quest for an antique style cushion - won''t they all have some bowtie action happening with that style??? By bowtie, I''m thinking bowtie facets, but not bowtie as in dead zone.
Thanks pixley. Yes I know you like that chunky facet style.
2.gif
What''s tough is (as you know) these can be called in ... similar table/depth measurements, similar polish/symmetry ratings yet have such totally different looks to them.

Regarding the bowtie look ... I believe Crooked prefers moreso the appearance of the 2nd diamond in the 3 stones shot I took (or the 3rd in the individual one in the pictures I took, more modern) and yes ... the symmetry is so right on you can visibly see how symmetrical it is even with the eyes. Bowties can exist in those types as well as the more antique chunky style dependong on the angles of those pavilion mains. Not all will have bowties but that can be dependant upon pavilion angles and also the viewers focal length as well. Bring it up close and its easier to see that, further away from the eyes and its less notable unless of course the pavilion angles are too too shallow. We''ve been getting considerable calls for the antique chunky style but both are in good demand. Primary factor ... the appearance each give off are both desireable. We find the crushed ice to be the least although there are folks who prefer that too. It''s interesting to have them all next to each other in a line-up.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 10:38:53 PM
Author: bebe

Rhino, thank you so much helping me understand what's bugging me about
as well. Trying to find one of these baby's is tough going. The stone that is referred to
as the 'in between' stone is indeed what I like. CrookedRock, good instinct there!
I'm curious what the specs are on it, specifically the measurements and L to R.

or is there?
Hi bebe,

Yes there is demand. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I don't have access to all the specs as I'm typing this from home but if you've downloaded the Gem Advisor software I'll be uploading a model as per strmrdr's request.

The thing with specific info though will not help you much in way of hte fact that the information we profide on cushions can not be found on a GIA Report or lab reports in general. Ie. I could provide you with every single facet angle and an accurate layout of the facet structure but seeing/knowing this doesn't help say, when you walk into a jewlery store and ask for a diamond with those specs as most don't know how to read or ascertain what it is they're looking at on the reports we generate.
40.gif
I'm happy to share it though.

Peace,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2008 4:04:06 AM
Author: Addlepated

MoreMoreMore, Bargaincrazy, Neatfreak, and (I think) Addlepated all have cushion brilliants with the same facet plot as MrsSalvo''s cushion but in varying L/W ratios.

Here''s what the Idealscope image on that stone looks like:

(It''s off with Maytal Hannah being set and I''m so lonesome without it!)

Thanks Addle. My 3ct looks very akin to yours. Beautiful picture btw.

MattyB5576

Rough_Rock
The cushion that I have been looking at looks exactly like the middle diamond that you posted rhino. Thanks a bunch for clarify som of the different cuts. The one I am looking at is more square and is 1.38 carats. Cushions sure are hard to come by.
-MB

MattyB5576

Rough_Rock
indypitty

My gf loves your ring. She has been looking for that type of ring/setting and we can''t find it anywhere even though it seems to be simple but beautiful. Everyone seems to offer something close but just not quite right. Can you let us know where you got yours from?
thank you so much,
MB

TNM5

Rough_Rock
Your ring is amazing! It just so happens I am looking for something similar. I would greatly appreciate if you could provide more details on the center stone. Im curious also as to what the the l/w ratio is on it, as my significant other would also like something towards the rectangular, but not too much.

Thanks!

indypitty

Shiny_Rock

Date: 2/25/2008 8:29:56 PM
Author: MattyB5576
indypitty

My gf loves your ring. She has been looking for that type of ring/setting and we can''t find it anywhere even though it seems to be simple but beautiful. Everyone seems to offer something close but just not quite right. Can you let us know where you got yours from?
thank you so much,
MB

Thanks Matty,

The setting is this one from James Allen. I agree that was hard to find a setting that was just right, even though it is so simple!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results