shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your opinion on this Vintage Set?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
You wouldn't be interested in a coloured stone would you Berts? I'm wondering if you might be able to find something pretty with a larger stone for a bigger finger that's less expensive. Reading through your posts it does sound like she would love anything you put an effort into choosing (with the added advantage of help from the great contributors here). Also it sounds like there would be other things in your lives that you might prefer to spend money on.

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Niel|1420823014|3814068 said:
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151544748522

Oh, this is a lovely set!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did OP buy it? It's SOLD (to someone.......)

Berts

Rough_Rock
Yes I did buy the ring. I really love the ring and it was great value for my budget. I love that it's a 1920's and it's a Orange Blossom, good history and for some reason I like knowing it is a brand and not just another ring made by who knows who. The future better half also likes it. I showed her a picture and she really liked it. I've been showing her pictures multiple times a day to get idea's of what she likes and I'll continue to do so until I propose. Keep her in the dark and the element of surprise high.

They do want $64 for resize both rings and separate them, does that seem like a fair price or should I just wait to take it into a local jeweler?

I call it the Neil ring ha ha.

Thank you all so very much. This site is truly invaluable. It really did make this process so much easier and less stressful.

Berts,

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would let them take care of it because they are then responsible for any damages since it is currently "their" ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Berts|1421082537|3815300 said:
Yes I did buy the ring. I really love the ring and it was great value for my budget. I love that it's a 1920's and it's a Orange Blossom, good history and for some reason I like knowing it is a brand and not just another ring made by who knows who. The future better half also likes it. I showed her a picture and she really liked it. I've been showing her pictures multiple times a day to get idea's of what she likes and I'll continue to do so until I propose. Keep her in the dark and the element of surprise high.

They do want $64 for resize both rings and separate them, does that seem like a fair price or should I just wait to take it into a local jeweler?

I call it the Neil ring ha ha.

Thank you all so very much. This site is truly invaluable. It really did make this process so much easier and less stressful.

Berts,

I agree them doing it is best. Unless it changes the return policy. Ask them about that.

Eta: make sure any rings you show her from now on are rings you don't think shell like! Lol. Don't want her to fall in love with a different one!

Show her ones with small center stones.

Berts

Rough_Rock
They said it wouldn't void the return policy but I wouldn't get the $64 back which is totally fair. I'm sure all will be fine anyway.

Good call, I'll show her ugly and cheap ring from now on.

Can't wait to see it in person!

Thanks again,

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Berts|1421084178|3815313 said:
They said it wouldn't void the return policy but I wouldn't get the $64 back which is totally fair. I'm sure all will be fine anyway.

Good call, I'll show her ugly and cheap ring from now on.

Can't wait to see it in person!

Thanks again,

Of it doesn't void the return I'd totally have them do it. Easier and safer. ::)

Can't wait to hear what you think!

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Glad you got it :) it's a gorgeous set!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah - post some pics when it arrives!

Berts

Rough_Rock
I'll post pictures for sure. Nice to have this part of the process out of the way. I still think it will be easier than asked her dad if it's cool that I marry her daughter. Not in those exact words lol.

One thing I know for sure, I wouldn't have half the ring I do and it's all because of you. I would have bought the first one I posted on this thread. I was close to buying it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice choice! Can't wait to see pictures!

Berts

Rough_Rock
I like the sound of this email I received. So far 5 star rating from the seller.

"We basically put a new shank on each ring so they look good and are ready for another story to begin!"

Do you guys recommend I take the ring into a local jeweler just to confirm the gold is real and the diamond is real, maybe quality? Maybe get a potential estimate value or an at least, "you didn't get ripped off" lol. I have 7 days from the time I receive the ring to contact them if I want to return it. After that it's a done deal. I have no clue and wouldn't know if they weren't real. Just to cover my butt on potentially being scammed. I feel confident in the seller but you never do know.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you plan to insure it? I would schedule the appraisal within the return period if so. If not, yes take it and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Berts

Rough_Rock
I don't think I'll insure it, It's $2,000. Any idea what it would cost annually to insure that?

How much are appraisals, if they are like $30-$50 I might go that route just for peace of mind.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You've already done a lot of work, now the final step is an appraisal. Easy. You want the details of the gems and setting documented since you have no idea what could happen in the future. Because we all know that (inadvertent) stuff happens. Protect it with insurance.

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Berts|1421358795|3817025 said:
I don't think I'll insure it, It's $2,000. Any idea what it would cost annually to insure that?

How much are appraisals, if they are like $30-$50 I might go that route just for peace of mind.
Insure that lady! It would probably be 20 bucks depending? Way better than 2k if something happens.

https://my.perfectcircleinsurance.com/FreeQuote/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eirwen|1420881996|3814495 said:
Niel|1420823014|3814068 said:
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151544748522

Oh, this is a lovely set!

I love it too! And you are working with a PS known vendor which is great. Post hand pics when you give it to her!

Berts

Rough_Rock
Okay, I'll get it.

Is an appraisal an appraisal or are there things I need to know before I enter this chapter of buying an engagement ring. At this point I'll google jewelry appraisal in my area, pick one, get a quote and stop in there.

Thanks

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

At this price point, I would self-insure.

Here is a link for vetted appraisers:
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

Great pick!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1421363301|3817086 said:

Great pick!

I wouldn't. If 2k is a lot of money for you to spend on an e ring, why leave it unprotected? Sure some of us spend 10k on an e ring, but if it equated to the same % of savings or salary for the person buying a 2k ring, it would hold to reason it would be just as difficult to replace in the event of a loss. And I mean the prems and deductible are low n

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Berts|1421361577|3817059 said:
Okay, I'll get it.

Is an appraisal an appraisal or are there things I need to know before I enter this chapter of buying an engagement ring. At this point I'll google jewelry appraisal in my area, pick one, get a quote and stop in there.

Thanks

Not all appraisals are equal. Some are inflated and aren't great.

You just want someone reputable to give you a fair value and verifies specs. An inflated appraisal doesn't help anyone. Just means you're paying more in premiums.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1421364154|3817090 said:

Great pick!

I wouldn't. If 2k is a lot of money for you to spend on an e ring, why leave it unprotected? Sure some of us spend 10k on an e ring, but if it equated to the same % of savings or salary for the person buying a 2k ring, it would hold to reason it would be just as difficult to replace in the event of a loss. And I mean the prems and deductible are low n

Because if $2k is a lot of money, then the monthly premium could certainly be going to something more pressing, like food, retirement, or insurance. From an economics background, there is a certain marginal benefit analysis you need to take into account.

Then again - who knows how much money OP has? Certainly not you or I.

I am a staunch proponent for self-insurance at this price point.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1421364805|3817097 said:

Great pick!

Because if $2k is a lot of money, then the monthly premium could certainly be going to something more pressing, like food, retirement, or insurance. From an economics background, there is a certain marginal benefit analysis you need to take into account.

$1.60 (which is the estimated prem for a 100 ded) will not make a difference in their grocery budget, but will make a difference to his girlfriend if she looses something so sentimental

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1421365281|3817103 said:
RockyRacoon|1421364805|3817097 said:

Great pick!

$1.60 (which is the estimated prem for a 100 ded) will not make a difference in their grocery budget, but will make a difference to his girlfriend if she looses something so sentimental

No use arguing the same point.

I stand by my statement.

Berts

Rough_Rock
I received the ring today. I really like it and the center stone looks bigger than I thought it would in person. I'll get it checked out tomorrow, get an appraisal and see what's up.

One thing about it I don't like like. They told me they "basically put a new shank on the rings". That's great and they do look nice. No where on the ring does it have the Orange Blossom or Traud stamp now. I feel like the ring lost value because of that. It also posses the question, was this ring even a Orange Blossom or just advertised as one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151544748522?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Berts|1421873897|3820044 said:
I received the ring today. I really like it and the center stone looks bigger than I thought it would in person. I'll get it checked out tomorrow, get an appraisal and see what's up.

One thing about it I don't like like. They told me they "basically put a new shank on the rings". That's great and they do look nice. No where on the ring does it have the Orange Blossom or Traud stamp now. I feel like the ring lost value because of that. It also posses the question, was this ring even a Orange Blossom or just advertised as one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151544748522?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'm glad you like it but that's disappointing about the stamp! Contact them and ask about it, I'm not sure about it decreasing value per se but it is a loss of history and a cool feature of the ring. Dang.

Berts

Rough_Rock
I'm lost as to what to ask, nothing they can do about it and is what it is eh? What would you ask?

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.I'm more concerned that it is real gold and real diamonds. Ideally I'll propose, she will say yes, we get married, life an amazing life together and she gets buried with it on :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that sucks. I feel like regardless of the stamp or not I think you got a good deal. I know they are a reputable company, but they should have told you about it. I might ask for maybe some money back as the price was based on it being a brand.

I have no doubt the gold and diamonds are real. And you got a lovely ring for your money.

BTW, any pics???

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Berts|1421874955|3820057 said:
I'm lost as to what to ask, nothing they can do about it and is what it is eh? What would you ask?

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.I'm more concerned that it is real gold and real diamonds. Ideally I'll propose, she will say yes, we get married, life an amazing life together and she gets buried with it on :)

Maybe ask is the wrong question but I would contact them to indicate that you hadn't anticipated the loss of the stamps and that you're disappointed as that was a feature you appreciated about the setting. But regardless it's a nice set and, as Niel said, good value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results