shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie - help with emerald cut

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Have been going through the forum for a while and have slowly started to get a feel for diamonds. First off, I'd like to show my appreciation for all of your informative discussions - which help newbies like us so much.

Getting to the point, I am trying to find an emerald cut diamond to make into an engagement ring. Bit tight on budget so the whole thing has to be no more than $3200 (including of the setting, which I understand is the actual ring). But luckily I am not fussed about having a large size so I am happy to have between 0.5 - 0.8 ct.

Reading through the different webpages and the forum here, I have decided upon the following as my criteria:

1) Very important to me that the diamond is conflict free certified (I believe most good diamond traders are).
2) Clarity is better than VS1
3) Color between D and G. I read at a few places that with Emerald cut it is important to have good color and high clarity
4) Very high cut quality, without question. For example, I seem to find a lot of diamonds that seem to make the initial selection but then their girdle value seem thick. (I once saw a TV show where they called the girdle the diamond's "muffin top" and I have been put off by it, oddly enough.)
5) I liked the look of one that I saw at a store which had the length-width ratio around 1.4. So,I would like the l/w ratio of 1.4 to 1.6.

I saw this on bluenile. I think this ticks a few criteria but not quite sure how to proceed (or if this is a good piece of stone to start with).
http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamonds?stockno=LD04147795

On a side note, how much should I expect to pay for a setting if I choose a classic look platinum? I found this (attached) image somewhere online, not sure where but I like the look of it. So, I am using this as an example. I hope this is OK by the forum rules.

I would appreciate any help. I am trying to do this on a rather short timeframe. The sooner the better for now. Thank you all in advance.

_22214.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
74% table on emeralds is too big. and you need pictures.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks JulieN (and wow you guys are quick). What is a good rule of thumb for table % for emeralds?

Edit: Should have read around a bit more, I find recommendation is table % is smaller than the total depth%.
(info is here for others who may be wondering as me: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/emerald-cut-diamond)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no guarantee when it comes to fancy cuts like ECs; there's no way to shop blind or only by the numbers. You need to see the actual picture of the stone, preferably a video or with an ASET.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
OK thanks Chrono. I assume I can request images once I select the diamond or is online not the way to go with cuts such as these?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nwbie|1410452243|3749069 said:
OK thanks Chrono. I assume I can request images once I select the diamond or is online not the way to go with cuts such as these?

I don't think BN will provide images. I've purchased many diamonds online but only stuck with vendors who provide pictures, video and ASET.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Right thanks for the info. I'll make note of that while looking around.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen has a great selection and 360 degree photos. We just bought there with no problem.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
68% is usually my upper limit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have a limit or preference for numbers. There's no point with ECs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have personal limits due to personal preference but there are many ECs that perform well outside my personal limits.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that advice AprilBaby and suggestions from all. I went to James Allen website and found this one (I need to get to work but I wanted to quickly put this on):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.70-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-177396

It says it has GIA certificate, so I'm guessing the specs are from the certificate. What else should I look at to ensure it is a good diamond? I suppose the "good" cut is due to the girlde running from "extermely thin to extremely thick" making it asymmetric? But would such asymmetry be visible/noticeable to someone like myself or even someone a bit more experienced?

I understand EC has some dark "patches" (for the lack of proper word) at certain angles. But I have also seen a video where three diamonds have been compared together to show how some show less dark patches. So, I'm finding myself a bit out of my depth a now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. that's a poorly performing stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
pass on that one too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me save you time. At 70 points or better G or better and eyeclean and under 2500 these are the only JA EC's worth a second look.

You don't buy by the numbers. You only buy by performance, faceting and spread. Use numbers only to make sure girdle isn't very thin (if that information is available on the lab report). And that the symmetry and polish are VG or better. Since these are under a carat, you will have to ask the gemologist to check the girdles for you, as the information is not on the lab report.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.71-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-282954
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.70-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-207178
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.74-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-299838 check if eyeclean
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.70-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-217626

Pick three ask for an ASET image. And just so you know the sales people at JA know nothing about step cuts. And we also don't agree with the gemologists there on step cuts either. So just post the ASETs. And between that and the videos we'll help you pick something nice.

Okay?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
OP That D Gypsy picked is delicious! Seriously put it on hold # 207178 :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1410491039|3749508 said:
OP That D Gypsy picked is delicious! Seriously put it on hold # 207178 :appl:

That was my favorite too.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for those suggestions Gypsy. I appreciate them very much. Also, thank you for your suggestion woofmama.

I have asked for 217626, 207178 and 282954 to be put on hold and have requested ASET images. They've told me it might take up to 5 days, so I'll post it here as soon as I get them. Apparently, I have up to 24 hours after that to make the decision, so I'll appreciate your help then.

I was advised by the very helpful lady that all three were eye clean and that the girdle on 282954 is thick-very thick.

Just so I have a better understanding, would you help me understand what aspects of these diamonds caught your eyes in the first place (when you have some spare time)? I realize this is not an easy subject but I have a curious mind :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut quality caught my eye (the facet angles of the crown and pavilion seems to be working in concert to have good light return to the viewer).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut quality. You want no dark facets, but rather facets that flash. And that reflect light properly.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I finally got the ASET images for the three images. These are the descriptions for these diamonds and their images are attached:

Diamond 207178 is a true D color and is the best performer when it comes to white light return and brilliance. The gemologist noted that this diamond has beautiful contrast of light and dark areas throughout the stone. It also has excellent brilliance in the perimeter that extends into the center.

Diamond 282954 is another great performer that is a true G and faces white. The contrast of this diamonds facet pattern is very good. It also has brilliance coming from the center with great brightness and fire in the perimeter. The gemologist confirmed that this diamond is eye clean.

Diamond 217626 was the third choice by the gemologist. It is a true E color but does have a darker center. The overall light return of the diamond is good but it does have limited white light return and a few dark areas.

I was wondering how good these are? I read in a few places that the more red there is the better the diamonds. I don't see a whole lot of red in any one of these images. But may be you can tell me your opinions?

I only have a few more hours (less than 9), so I hope I can get responses from you soon. Sorry couldn't post them earlier as I was at work.

Thanks in advance

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Here's one

207178.jpg

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Second best according to JA

282954.jpg

nwbie

Rough_Rock
And the last of the three.

I'd love to hear your opinions as soon as possible guys. Thanks.

217626.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 207178 best. The Aset looks good, the video looks good, and it's got a nice shape and spread. Great color and eye clean. That is the one I would choose.

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lookingagain. I appreciate that the first one is the best of the three. But I was not sure if, in general, this is a very good piece of diamond or it is only the best of the three and I could get better ones if I should keep looking.

I was a bit worried about the lack of red colors in the ASET images. But I don't have the experience to know if this is normal for EC cuts.

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I'm a fan of the G (2nd) from the video and the aset. I think the distribution and pattern of the facets is more pleasing to my eye, whereas I can see a bit of the leakage in the video (no flashing) from the D emerald cut.

Here is a thread from a long time ago which references a lot of images of emerald cut asets.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-aset-pictures.97004/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-aset-pictures.97004/[/URL]

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I'm a fan of the G (2nd) from the video and the aset. I think the distribution and pattern of the facets is more pleasing to my eye, whereas I can see a bit of the leakage in the video (no flashing) from the D emerald cut.

Here is a thread from a long time ago which references a lot of images of emerald cut asets.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-aset-pictures.97004/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-aset-pictures.97004/[/URL]

nwbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that link starrylight. I am understanding it a bit more. But I guess the question is always, get these or are there better ones I've not looked at. Which is not the best attitude to have all the time, but since it is an important decision I wanted opinions from others who have lot more experience than me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results