shape
carat
color
clarity

planning for daughters 21st diamond earrings

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

Yes, i am planning WAY ahead as they are only 3yo and 9month old!!!! :tongue: :tongue:
They do not have pierced ears yet, though i am going to get them done at 16yo. if they want it done earlier, i will consider it. maybe as a high school graduating present, i will get their ears pierced... :read: :read:

I do love OECs. And i guess i do not know their tastes at the moment, and they may defect to MRB!!!! LOL.

In any case: i am planning to give both of my daughters on their 21st birthdays, diamond earrings. I am thinking of 0.5tcw. I know diamond prices will increase over time, albeit, for these sizes, it may not be much. But I am so OBSESSED with diamonds that i am thinking/ planning this far ahead.

Are the 0.5tcw a nice size for a 21st or is that too small- i am thinking dainty and in 3-4 prong martini settings.... i know it will depend on their ear lobes, but i dont want to overwhelm their ears.

I currently wear 0.5ct and 0.52ct princesses in basket setting. i will be gifting these (wedding? graduation with a degree) as loose diamonds so they can do as they please.

My 2 questions are:
1) i guess at the 0.5tcw size, OEC or MRB is not going to matter too much, as facet patterning will be lost????
2) Any thoughts on getting them now or later?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg:

How sweet of you to plan ahead for your daughters! I just got a pair of .5 ctw MRB's in a fairly fine bezel and I think it's a great size for everyday casual wear - for me. I also think they'd be a nice size for a young woman, though perhaps a bit large for casual wear for a teenager (I was a lot thinner when I was in college. I suspect my basic facial structure was the same - which in my case is on the broad side - but my face has filled in a lot in the intervening years ;-) ). Of course a lot depends on the individual, their build and facial structure, and most importantly, their preferences.

I should share my story with you though... a few years ago I bought a lovely pair of WF .25ctw studs in 8-prong martini settings for my niece. She was probably 14 or 15 at the time and playing in a youth symphony. I figured she'd probably get her ears pierced by her 16th birthday, and that these earrings would be *perfect* for concert wear and other special occasions. Well, she'll be graduating high school this year, and she still hasn't decided to get her ears pierced! I can't wear them because they really are too tiny on me, and I'm afraid that she'll have outgrown them by the time she decides to get her ears pierced - if she ever does!

I'm all for keeping your eyes open for terrific bargains on the earrings you hope to give your daughters some day. Just be aware that they might have other ideas about their style and ornamentation. Of course if you do find some great earrings at a great price you can always re-sell them or otherwise move on to "Plan B" if necessary...

BTW I got both my .25's and .50's on Diamondbistro.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
VR Beauty,

thank you for your input...
yes, i will check DB and also LT, to see if there is anything going....

i know tastes will change but i just have these itchy fingers... i may go down the path of what you have suggested... buy them now as plan A and then move to plan B or C or G by the time they are 21!!!!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
VRbeauty,

do you have an ear shot of you 0.5tcw MRB? it is hard to take as i have tried with my princesses. but i just want to understand visually what they look like... i am trying to imagine the facet patterning in an OEC v MRB.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1398041916|3656814 said:
Hi All,

Are the 0.5tcw a nice size for a 21st or is that too small- i am thinking dainty and in 3-4 prong martini settings.... i know it will depend on their ear lobes, but i dont want to overwhelm their ears.
Greg
I bought 2 pairs from WF (.50 ctw F/G VS ACA stones) one pair for each of my daughter. They are set in 14 WG 4 prong basket setting, but if I do it over again I would chose a 3 prong martini setting. My daughters are in their mid 20's now and the earrings looks fine on them.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
DF - when did you get them for your daughters?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Greggy!!

You're such a sweet papa.

Might I suggest to not wait until they're 16 to get pierced? I got things pierced in that middle to high school age, and I sucked at being responsible for cleaning the piercings, and they got infected easily from shampoo, conditioner, and sweating during Physical Education in school.

My primary lobe piercings were done at birth, and I never had to deal with infections as my momma took care of them.
Also, kids just heal a lot faster.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1398044740|3656834 said:
DF - when did you get them for your daughters?
I think it was Christmas 2007 or 2008..:confused:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1398044241|3656829 said:
VRbeauty,

do you have an ear shot of you 0.5tcw MRB? it is hard to take as i have tried with my princesses. but i just want to understand visually what they look like... i am trying to imagine the facet patterning in an OEC v MRB.

I don't - sorry. You might want to check out the earrings threads in SMTB. My earrings are currently in the IDJ bezel setting which sits a little higher off the ear than I like. At some point I'll either get this setting altered or replace the settings with a style that sits closer to the ear - which will also make the diamonds appear a bit smaller than they do currently.

In any event, how the earrings look on the ear has a lot to do with the ear they're on/in! I have prominent cheekbones and I wear a "large" in ladie's hats. Earrings that would look perfect on a younger, smaller, or slimmer face might get lost on me!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
VRB= thanx.. will check out the SMTB folder...
DF- so when you got the earrings in 2008/9 your daughters were mid to late teens, if i calculate correctly. is that correct?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had 2 little girls I'd get their ears pierced now and leave little ittsy bittsy tiny 18K or PT earrings in there.

Today I'd grab a pair of AVC 0.5 TCW and a pair of AVR 0.5 TCW and let them select their shape preference near their 21st birthday.
If the both want the same cut they can flip a coin for it.
If the looser pouts you have my permission to taser the ungrateful spoiled brat! :devil:

At 0.25 ct each I would not get MRB; the AVC or AVR will give off larger chunks of fire.

I'd get the rocks set today in 3-prong PT martinis, and squirrel them away in a safe deposit box.
Nobody can predict 21 years into the future but I suspect diamonds will rise in price faster than inflation, and the American dollar will sink.

Oh, and if you have money burning a hole in your pocket you can buy me some diamonds, since I'm so wonderful. :saint:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1398047523|3656860 said:
DF- so when you got the earrings in 2008/9 your daughters were mid to late teens, if i calculate correctly. is that correct?
DD #1 is now 27 1/2 and #2 is 26

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium

justginger

Ideal_Rock
My mom bought me my first pair of diamond studs as a high school graduation present and I wore them daily for YEARS. I think they're around the size you're thinking of, and at that size I don't think I'd have a MRB/OEC preference.

I would be gobsmacked if you managed to last til Miss E is 21 though... :lol:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx Kenny,

I am now coming around to having AVRs for both of them, as they would be putting on a show!!! I hate for them to choose and one to 'miss' out. AVC whilst are great, i am not a huge fan of the maltese cross that it displays. However, on some antique cushions :love: :love:

Eh613c- yes they are a bit big for what i want to do, and both girls will have to get the same so that no 'favourtism' is shown! then its another hunt for the same TCW....well, i have time on my hands!!!!! LOL.

JG= hmm yes, i wonder if i can hold out till miss E is 21!!!! how i feel at the moment, i reckon i will last till they say they want their ears pierced and i will have the diamonds in her ears!!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1398065622|3656948 said:
My mom bought me my first pair of diamond studs as a high school graduation present and I wore them daily for YEARS. I think they're around the size you're thinking of, and at that size I don't think I'd have a MRB/OEC preference.

+1

I'd give them to the girls at their 16th.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't go for that ebay deal, it looks good but only one of the stones is VS1 F the other is SI1 H. They'll be close in size but one will be darker/yellower than the other. It's your decision though. I'd go with something like these (if you're willing to go princess), they're a much closer match both VS2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-carat-Beautiful-White-Color-100-Natural-loose-Princess-Diamond-Pair-VS2-H-/271356543846?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item3f2e1c4366

Honestly, based on what I've seen (which isn't much but it's something) you would be better off going with an MRB (or any modern cut), even as small as .25 ct, they're noticeably brighter. Also, you're totally right to be thinking about prices going up. As Chinese and Indians get richer prices keep increasing.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx mohsin95.

There is something about OEC/AVR that draws to me- thier broad flashes.. but at 0.25ct each, i am not sure if i would be able to tell.

I quick searches on most vendors here, the lowest TCW is 0.5, but they only have one set. most are around the 0.6 tcw.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1398068483|3656967 said:
justginger|1398065622|3656948 said:

+1

I'd give them to the girls at their 16th.

16 would be a good diamond occasion. (assuming responsible kid of course!)

"A" is almost 15 and wants her ears pierced. I remember being desperate for it when I was much younger. I think I got mine done for something like an 8th or 9th b-day? We'll be waiting with "A" for a bit because of hygiene issues. Mine were okay as I was super careful but my ears react to everything so I was always getting bright red ears and mild infections. (to this day, I still get infections even if I'm not wearing anything :nono: )

One of my most treasured earrings were a beautiful pair with my birthstones that my grandma gave me. That might be a nice thing to give them earlier and then the diamonds at 16 (or 18 or hs graduation or 21 or college graduation -- depending on responsibility)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
My oldest niece has been begging to get her ears pierced for over 2 years now. Her mom asked for, and made her ruling based on, my opinion - she was finally allowed to get them pierced last month, on her 10th birthday. I will be buying her, and her sisters, diamond studs for their 16th birthdays. Starter ones with average cuts, so not crushed if they get lost. Then, likely expensive ones as wedding presents. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg, my older daughter was given a pair of diamond studs around that size for her college graduation. I would not have wanted her to have them earlier because college is not a place to take your fine jewelry! I let my girls get their ears pierced around 11 or 12 and they just wore little hoops until they were older.

My opinion is that mrb's are going to show up the most at .25 each. I'd like to have a pair of AVR's myself, but I'd want much larger so that the facet pattern could be seen. Mrb's are going to be brighter on the ears in a small size, so that is what I'd recommend for your girls. I'd go with nice ones like DF did.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
JG- ... i am going to try holding out till their 21st!!!!!

DS= thanx so much for input on which ones to choose....i did ask in one of the gOG videos on AVR and MRB (they were comparing over 1ct) whether the difference in brightness and patterning is noticeable in 0.25-0.3ct stone.

i love the OEC and AVR and the bigger the better for the facet patterning and the broad flashes... being so tiny, i think the facetting is going to be lost. However, it will depend on the brightness of the stones..... i doubt that GOG will do videos for something so small.
fortunately, i have a bit of time. :)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1398087123|3657072 said:
Greg, my older daughter was given a pair of diamond studs around that size for her college graduation. I would not have wanted her to have them earlier because college is not a place to take your fine jewelry! I let my girls get their ears pierced around 11 or 12 and they just wore little hoops until they were older.

My opinion is that mrb's are going to show up the most at .25 each. I'd like to have a pair of AVR's myself, but I'd want much larger so that the facet pattern could be seen. Mrb's are going to be brighter on the ears in a small size, so that is what I'd recommend for your girls. I'd go with nice ones like DF did.

I never had an issue with studs in college. :confused: Regardless, uni here is nothing like college in the States - Greg's daughters will live at home while attending, unless they're part of the very, very small, radical minority of Australian kids who choose to move out and house-share with mates. There's no chance studs will be left in a random frat house bathroom, or swiped by a dormmate. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I had no idea students didn't live in dorms in college there. But I still think 21 or graduation is a great age to give the studs, regardless!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd agree re waiting for 21 or college graduation. At that age, they are more likely to appreciate the value of them and be more mindful about keeping track of them.

Even if they choose never to get their ears pierced, diamonds in that size range could also make lovely sidestones in a ring, so I'd not worry about whether or not they'll want piercings. I picked up a pair of small mahenge's for a friend's daughter with the intent of studs someday, but I recently learned that she doesn't want her ears pierced. While that may change, I could easily see her using them as sidestones if she doesn't change her mind.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that size, I would opt for MRBs and hope that they opt to pierce their ears when they are of that age. I had mine done at college age and healed well, working through one infection. My sister, on the other hand, never bothered with earrings and never pierced her ears. I suppose the earrings can always be converted to pendants or used as sidestones in the future.

Greg,
Please adopt me. I have pierced ears and would wear the earrings until your two cuties are of age. :naughty: :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I guess that I don't have much to offer in terms of advice because while I can appreciate the fact that it's never to early to start planning, I personally feel that it is too early to start planning for this sort of thing. Your children are both well under the age of 5 and a lot can change between now and then. I would suggest holding off and keeping an open mind. It's certainly a lovely idea and I see nothing wrong with gifting your DDs diamond earrings. For what it's worth, I don't think that there's anything wrong with wearing diamond studs at college. I suppose that sort of thing varies a lot by college, but around here, I see college girls sporting all kinds of jewelry, nice clothes, expensive handbags, etc. I don't see any "danger" per se wearing diamond studs in college (assuming that your young adult is responsible) =)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well,FWIW...I have already purchased wedding gifts for our daughters.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My parents and family gifted me fine jewelry even as a kid, and my parents held on to it for the most part. I wore some things to important events, and they went back to my parents for safekeeping afterwards.

I think its a great idea to look now, and keep your eyes open. I'm sure you'll find a steal sometime between now and age 21, and you'll be prepared to scoop it up! I bought a gorgeous marquise for my mother recently, after looking for about four years now. I didn't have a particular timeline or date to meet, but I did have a tight budget. I found one that measures something about 11.5x6, G-H, very clear, and the best part: within the budget I'd been setting aside for her. My mom had cancer when I was a kid, and the experience definitely left a lasting impact on me; if I can, even if its small, I want to make sure I can treat my parents, and keeping an eye out for this stone for a long time was one way that I could do that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results