shape
carat
color
clarity

planning for daughters 21st diamond earrings

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1398097147|3657179 said:
Well,FWIW...I have already purchased wedding gifts for our daughters.

It's not that I think that there is anything wrong with purchasing gifts way early, it's just not something I would likely do unless it was some sort of special circumstances. To each their own:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DF,
Is that their dowry? :devil: :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398107727|3657271 said:

DF,
Is that their dowry? :devil: :bigsmile:
They each will receive a 1 ctw BGD bangle bracelet as their wedding gift.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sweet are you to be thinking ahead for them! My daughter wears .50 TCW and they sparkle like crazy in her ears! They were pre-sets that I bought from Whiteflash when Brian was still there. I think I bought them for her when she was about 27! She wears them every day and gets a lot of compliments on them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to give my daughter my earrings (work in progress). But she is 8 years old and absolutely unwilling to pierce her ears. She is very pain averse. I hope she changes her mind at some time. I would be fine letting her wear tiny diamond studs. Yes, sorry to say I would. Maybe tiny 0.1 bezeled in yellow gold. Yup. I would. But dang it!! She won't get her ears pierced! :lol:

And I wouldn't buy bigger earrings for her yet cause I can't afford them now. But I would happy to give her mine and upgrade when the time comes. ;-)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
colours for these earrings... is H/I/J for 0.5ctw ok?

I know that is personal. i can seem some tint in some diamonds, but at that size, i dont think it would be as noticeable as if they were 1.0ct each

ideas?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
greg, I think that is totally fine for stones of that size. In my experience a well cut H/I/J stone faces up very very white even much larger than that. My studs are 1.6 cts each, J color, and on my ears they are WHITE. I honestly had never looked at them from the sides until about 30 seconds ago and they seem white to me in that way too (although I am wearing a light blue t-shirt so maybe that's giving a false whiteness). Your daughters are so so lucky to have you!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring stone is just shy of a carat and an H color and unless you stick it next to my mom's D color diamond, I can't see an ounce of color, so I say go for the H/I/J color in studs for sure!

Ditto what D*J said, by the way...your girls are so very lucky to have you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd get MRBs. I prefer OECs too. But at that size range MRB are a better choice.

I'd get martini settings personally. In platinum, just in case someone develops allergies.

I agree with college graduation or 21st birthday as well. 16 is too young.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
THanx Dee*Jan and Vc10um.

Still trying to decide on AVR/ MRB...

there seems to be a tight race between the 2, i might start a new thread....

ETC- gypsy- posted at the same time...

Will do a poll anyways....

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an aside... one or both may never want their ears pierced! Personally I do believe in letting children decide for themselves if they want holes in their ears. The thought is a nice one though! If you have the diamond buying bug, what do you think about buying each a diamond pendant engraved with their initials as a 21st birthday/college graduation gift?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Elliot,

Thank you for your fore thought. I did think about that, and hoping that if they choose not to have their ears pierced, they can have these stones as part of a pendant or a bypass ring of sorts or what ever they choose. But, i am SOOOOOOOOOO hoping that they would get them pierced. Ultimately, it is their choice.

The girls have always seen me and hopefully will continue to see me with my ears pierced, with super sparkly princesses.....so here's hoping right????

My nephews and nieces used to ask ... uncle greg, why do you have earrings--- i tell them i like diamonds and boys and girls can have their ears pierced. I can see why they ask as my brother doesnt care much for jewellry and he only sports a plain wedding. band.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1404093620|3703520 said:
Hi Elliot,

Thank you for your fore thought. I did think about that, and hoping that if they choose not to have their ears pierced, they can have these stones as part of a pendant or a bypass ring of sorts or what ever they choose. But, i am SOOOOOOOOOO hoping that they would get them pierced. Ultimately, it is their choice.

The girls have always seen me and hopefully will continue to see me with my ears pierced, with super sparkly princesses.....so here's hoping right????

My nephews and nieces used to ask ... uncle greg, why do you have earrings--- i tell them i like diamonds and boys and girls can have their ears pierced. I can see why they ask as my brother doesnt care much for jewellry and he only sports a plain wedding. band.

I mean, worst case scenario they both get a couple diamonds each. That's not a bad haul! :lol:

The guy who runs the pharmacy I go to wears a huge diamond ring. I always want to ask him about it. It looks like an antique.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Greg! And congratulations on being a father to two infant girls at once!

In terms of thinking early about jewelry for them, you are a man after my own heart! Like you, I bought my daughter her first gems as a tiny infant. The first ones were emeralds in her native Colombia. I did not, however, buy any for earrings. At the time (I was 41) I did not yet have pierced ears and I was not, therefore, speculating about when she would get hers pierced. I believe I got her an emerald ring suitable for a baby or child and an emerald necklace of the same size. When she was an infant, I also had a tiny diamond ring made for her when I was having a ring made. One of the 2-point (or thereabout) stones used in mine was used in a tiny ring custom made for her.

I had my ears pierced when I was 48. My daughter convinced me to let her have hers pierced when she was around 10. I have to say that culturally it was the norm. I did take her to the dermatologist to have it done for safety, however, and she didn't so as good a job (in terms of even holes) as Claire's (the cheap jewelry store here that does ear piercing) was to do one future occasions! Since then my (now 21 year-old) daughter has had piercings in her belly button and other places. But the best was when I forbade a nose piercing and she did it herself. (Lots of blood with do-it-yourself nose piercings.)

You have some adventures still in store for you!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg, what a great idea to think ahead and get them some pretty diamond earrings. IMO I would get them MRB mounted in platinum and give them to them when they turn 21. I think 1/2 ctw is a great size for a first pair of diamond earrings. I actually still wear quite a few 4mm studs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results