shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with avr decision

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
My bf and I have been shopping for a diamond for a good six months now and he has decided to go ahead with gog avr 1.26 I vs2. I'm hesitant though, when I watched some comparison videos posted on youtube and judging from the aset pictures, it looks like there is a lot of blue and some white and green, which makes me think that it won't look as bright and lively. He has gone ahead and purchased the ring and diamond, and we are waiting for it to come in. This is a bit late, but can someone help us determine how this diamond compares to the 1.23 I SI1? And should I be worried?

Link
1.26ct I VS2 Round - Diamond - GoodOldGold.com

www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11284/

Shape: Round. Carat Weight: 1.26ct. Color: I. Clarity: VS2. Optical Symmetry: August Vintage. Polish: Ideal. Symmetry: Ideal. Fluorescence: None. Culet: Large

1.23 I SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11880/

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can they make you a video?

I am concerned the inclusions right under the table on the 1.23 would be visible. The 1.26 is very nice!

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Hello Gwen

I don't know if this will help but please go to: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-round-personal-assessment.185735/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/august-vintage-round-personal-assessment.185735/[/URL] and read my assessment.

Double click on the image and it will become a bit larger. The bottom AVR is like your 1.26. The top one is more like the 1.23. It was difficult because I liked the large reflections and I LOVED the flower petals of the 1.24 but I didn't like the little circle that appeared in the center. In the aset it looks like a little + sign. The 1.08 did not have that. I ended up going with the larger diamond but the center kept bothering me. My very patient FY and I too a vacation to NY and went to GOG and ended up buying a larger L-colored AVR in a cut more similar to the 1.08.

My FI and I wired money for the first one and charged the second one to compare. If you can see them both in person it will help you make a decision but they were both very, very pretty so you will not got wrong with either one.

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
Hi trasid. Thanks for the prompt advice! Can you tell me your experience and thoughts going with the L? Gog had a 1.26 L with strong blue florescence that we had overlooked earlier in our decision bc we thought it might show too much color. The aset pictures look better to me for the L color stone, but I'm afraid that the florescence will make the stone look cloudy in certain light conditions. If anyone has any thoughts and advice on this, I would really appreciate it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a pic with great pics of fluorescence. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-not-fear-very-strong-fluorescence-because-its-beautiful.141942/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-not-fear-very-strong-fluorescence-because-its-beautiful.141942/[/URL] (keep in mind many of these are "VERY" strong blue, so they will fluoresce more than the one you are looking at will, so don't be disappointed if the one you are looking at isn't as strong as these).

Many Strong Blue's have no haziness at all. GOG should be able to tell you honestly if this one does. Personally, An L with the added bonus of (not hazy) strong blue would be my dream AVR, and I would pick that over non-fluorescent stones any day. :wavey:

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Each stone is a bit different. Each L could have a different color/tint. The 1.08 J with fluorescence faced up much whiter than the 1.24 I. I would guess that the J looked more like an H so it's possible that the L could face up more like a J. My L has no fluor and it is a bit warm in certain lighting conditions and white in others. Unless you are very color sensitive I think you will LOVE that L. You can always ask Jon to put it up against an I, J and K and ask him which one the L looks most like. Be sure to ask Jon to make sure the L does not have that oily appearance.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Oops...sorry. Both the I and the J faced up about the same. These stone face up very white. I should have said that the body color of the J with fluor was very white to my eye where I could see tint in the I.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That L that Gypsy posted is gorgeous! Jon has said in the past that he will not stock stones that are overblue or have any ill effects from the fluor, so I would assume it is ok, but always good to ask. And remember that the effects of fluor will only be evident in UV light sources (sunlight and blacklights). In an office setting, etc there will be no effect.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at the 1.26 L before so David at GOG made a video of it and the 1.62 L that I later purchased. The strong blue fluorescence really helps it to face up whiter. After seeing the 1.62 in person I can hardly tell it has any tint. Here are some more detailed pics of the AVRs and a quick youtube vid.

avr1_0.jpg
avr1_2.jpg
avr1_1.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNGllftg7Y

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice after seeing several AVR's in person, all I and J color, is to keep the one you have on order!!!! There is absolutely not ONE thing wrong with the ASET images other than the photography wasn't perfect. You chose a stone with outstanding light performance and cut! I would not go down in clarity to get the 1.23 I SI1, plus, they'd have to send it to have the culet cut if it were for me. I could see the tint in the J stones easily, and I found that I color was my limit for an AVR (honestly I'd really prefer H but that wasn't available). I did look at L and M in AVC's and could do that with a halo to accentuate the color for a right hand ring.

I think you are just misunderstanding the ASET. You want to mostly see red and blue..the blue is just contrast and when the stone moves, different facets reflect light. A tiny bit of green and white are normal, and the white in particular areas is on purpose. See this H&A stone for another example of a stone with mostly red and blue with a touch of green and white.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10796/

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
So gog kindly sent us the comparison video for the 1.23ct I SI1 and 1.26ct L VS1. I prefer the facet pattern of the L stone. What's everyone's opinion? It's definitely more yellow, and I don't know if that will bother me down the road, but I think I can live with it. They did not include the stone we ordered bc it may be in the process of being set? We will have to inquire, but I think it is this stone found on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH1IQcfSOg4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2-xTBcbLv0

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
Did you by any chance see the 1.26 L in person? I love the faceting from the YouTube videos, but wanted your opinion on how it performs in person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get the original I color one? I seriously do not think the difference in facet pattern is going to be all that discernible in real life viewing. But the color difference between I and L definitely will be. If your stone is being set, I would stop looking at these diamonds! Looking at minute differences in magnified images is not going to really help in the long run. The stone you originally chose looks gorgeous! I almost bought one identical but larger, but I ended up really increasing size to over 2 cts. It seems so crazy when I think back, but I really love these diamonds!

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
It is being set and we are waiting for it to come in. It's just a very big purchase for us and the fact that I haven't seen the stone in person make me extra nervous. I thought if I could just get the opinions of those that came before me who have gone through the same process of picking out an avr, perhaps I could then make a more informed decision. Based on everyone's feedback, which I do really appreciate, we are going ahead and having the diamond set and sent out. Perhaps we should've had the stone sent loose to judge first...oh well! I'll post the ring once we get it:) We decided on the sholdt abby. I'm excited to see it all come together.

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
image_1576.jpg

So the ring came in, and for the most part we love it. It is yellow/warm in certain lighting conditions, and in certain angles, the table is dark and the diamond just looks murky! Then there are times when it's brilliant, especially under diffuse lighting or under florescent lights. I'm just so confused! We are thinking we will keep it for now and worry about maybe exchanging it when we get a chance to visit gog in person to look at other stones. I feel very torn about this 1.26 I vs2. Am I crazy? Are these stones suppose to do that?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
If you don't love it and are hesitant I would be returning it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Diamondseeker stones lower than an I are not for everyone, especially if you are colour sensitive and are not used to seeing anything but really white diamonds, you should go and see the I and compare it at least to see if it is the colour bothering you about the stone, a good L will not face up like a good I. I'd also suggest if you do get a chance to go there, look at some H & A round brilliants next to a couple of AVRs, you might find that your eye actually likes round brilliants more, some people prefer the faster scintillation pattern some don't.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that if you are feeling hesitant now, it probably won't change and you should return it.

That being said - do you have other diamonds? Are you familiar with the flash on/off? You aren't wearing a flashlight, the stone is catching light and reflecting it back to you, so yea, depending on your light conditions you are going to have difference performance.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
I believe that is the stone I had for awhile. I almost kept it (ended up going with an asscher). I really liked it a lot. I was comparing it to a 1.7ct J color AVR, so I saw both at the same time. I did not see any of the darkness or murkiness you are talking about. One thing about this particular AVR that I really liked; it has a larger table than the others you will find. "True" OECs had a smaller table, so some prefer that. Me, I really felt the larger table allowed me to see those table facets, even compared to the larger AVR I was looking at.

It's too bad you don't have any others to compare it to.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even ideal cut rounds are going to go dark in spot lighting and some other lighting. The AVR is about the most beautifully cut stone I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. I think if you are worried about tint in I color, it is a very good thing you didn't send for the L!!! I really think you just haven't had the experience of viewing diamonds in different lighting. All diamonds will take on different appearances in different lighting. They also have to be kept clean to always look their best.

I think your diamond looks gorgeous in the picture. But some people like modern round brilliants better, and that is fine if that is your preference. You will see that they will look different in different lighting and surroundings, too, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding table size, that will make the stone brighter, if anything. I definitely have seen antique OEC's with tables this size.

But seeing multiple stones in person is probably the only thing that will ease your mind on this issue. I know I prefer AVR's because I was able to see several before deciding, and I had had H&A stones prior to getting the AVR.

glitterpants

Rough_Rock
If you don't absolutely love it, I would exchange or return. Btw, I love that setting- I'm looking for a setting with the same prongs. Who makes it? Do you have more pics?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with others, return it if you are not 100% happy. It is a lot of coin to be unhappy with the diamond.

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
image_1608.jpg
Here's a side view of the ring. I'll try to post more but I'm having a hard time attaching photos using my iPhone

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
It's sholdt abby. We saw it on the Brian gavin website and goodoldgold was able to obtain the ring and set the stone for us.

_17331.jpg

glitterpants

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pics! It's a beautiful setting! What are your thought on it?
Is the bottom of the ring, underneath the stone, closed or opened?

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
That's the picture of the ring on the Brian gavin website. It was hard to visualize just by those pictures alone. I like that there are so many facets to the setting. Looking from the top down at the diamond, it looks like a simple, delicate ring. Then when you turn to look at it from the sides, you get the architectural lines from the basket. If you like simplicity with a twist, it's the perfect ring.

_17397.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your stone.. I have a 1.33 AVC 'K' :) it's in a pendant so you don't see any tint.. but I may not like it so much if I had it in a ring and I cold turn it sideways.. I have a 1.64 'avg' cut MRB.. it's lovely and it really has a lot of sparkle in dark rooms.. but I dream of buying an AVR 2 carat G or H color.. that said.. I also agree with the others.. if you aren't happy, return it.. and I must say.. your setting is one of the most beautiful I've seen.. you have superb taste.. this setting is all about the stone.... I wish you happiness in your marriage and in life..

:wavey:

Gwenb3|1398457425|3660039 said:
It's sholdt abby. We saw it on the Brian gavin website and goodoldgold was able to obtain the ring and set the stone for us.

Gwenb3

Rough_Rock
Does anyone's avr look like this in diffuse natural lighting where most of the facets are "off" at once so the diamond looks dark? It happens especially when I look down at it instead of my hand up and in front of me. We are thinking of switching the diamond, but I'm afraid that all of the avrs do this.

_17733.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results