• VC trueste solitaire

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • None - I'll tell you below

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
S

SparkliesLuver

lambskin said:
You said no diamonds but the pics (except one) all have diamonds. I wonder what all of these twists would look like sans diamonds? There has to be some more pics of plain settings -with twists and split shanks without the diamonds so you can really see what you are thinking about getting. Maybe look in the diamond ring engagement forum to see what some solitaires look like.

You make an excellent point, lambskin. I don't disagree one bit. However, it was quite difficult to find twisty/split shank ideas without diamonds, but I'm always up for more digging! :) Thanks for mentioning the diamond engagement ring forum. I'll definitely check there. Maybe something will stand out.

Thank you, MollyMalone, for pointing out JF's tourmaline ring. It is very pretty and also unique. I'll have to take a closer look. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'll try to get some better pics for you tomorrow, Sparkliesluver, if that would help. They'll have to be indoors because it's supposed to rain all day -- but you never know around here; weather rpts are so off, it could be sunny and 95! :lol:

The setting is actually the split shank trellis ring that Daniel M makes. I had them axe the milgrain & the bezeled diamond on the split & put a row of tiny diamonds instead. Er... except I wouldn't recommend asking them to make it now, sigh. Somebody else could do a similar one.

---Laurie

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklies - I've been silently following your other thread and I'm really just chiming in here to say CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful new stone!! I adore the colour - it's lovely and rich against your skin, and of course the cutting is :love:

To me, "Classic, timeless setting" means as simple as possible - of your list I gravitate strongly toward the Trueste (#3), and Charmypoo's split shank design (#1) comes in second.

May I ask who will be making your ring? I ask because I share lambskin's concerns about the diamond-less twists. To my eyes even high-end twist pieces can resemble wire-wrapping, especially on hand-forged shanks wherein the braiding of each wire is clearly visible from all angles (vs. the flat underside of a cast shank)... very fine pave work on the twists asserts careful and meticulous manufacture - but, as you note, that might draw attention from your stone. Though honestly I don't truly believe that's possible - she's a stunner!!!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wow! It's gorgeous. I voted for split shank, double-claw prongs, because a plain solitaire is likely to look top-heavy with a stone that size. But that's just my sense of proportion. I also like large stones on wide, plain bands, but that style (a lot of metal) seems to be out of favor on PS.

S

SparkliesLuver

Laurie, I'd love to see additional pictures of your ring when you have time. Of course it would help. :) Completely understand the weather issues. Very similar here.

Yssie, thank you so much for coming out of the shadows to comment! That means a lot. I appreciate your kind comments about the stone. I haven't decided which vendor will be making the ring yet. I have a quote from VC on the trueste and one from David Klass on the initial twist design I posted. I have a call in to an actual family member who owns a jewelry business so I'd like to talk to him as well. I know that doesn't help at all! haha :???: Also, thank you for sharing your concerns about a diamond-less twist. A part of me (the sparklie part of me!) would love to add them, but the other part wants to keep it simple; however, the simple part of me has the exact same concern the two of you mentioned. I think I need to do more digging on finding just metal settings.

Thank you so much, MrsCornishWed. Hope you're doing well! :wavey:

Lula, thank you for letting me know which one you voted for. Do you have any examples of large stones with a wide, plain band that you love? I'd be interested to see - I have rather large hands so I can usually wear larger rings well.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1416834517|3789459 said:
Lula, thank you for letting me know which one you voted for. Do you have any examples of large stones with a wide, plain band that you love? I'd be interested to see - I have rather large hands so I can usually wear larger rings well.

Hi, Sparklies -- I have large hands, too, and have learned through expensive trial-and-error that substantial rings look best on me. That means larger stones :love: and settings that aren't too dainty. In my next life, I will have size 4 fingers...

I have been collecting "wide-band" photos for a while (need to set a few stones in 2015!) and I'm happy to share my stash of photos. I have no idea where many of these photos came from, so if any posters recognize these rings, please let me know so I can give credit to the owners of these beauties.

[Edit] Forgot to add -- I agree with the other posters who encouraged you not be bezel your stone. Many of these designs show bezeled stones but a good designer could modify the setting. Somewhere on my computer I have some photos of wide-band settings with diamonds that are prong set, not bezel set. I'll look for those and post them.

miuvaavo3awr9gx807g6gaw.jpg

louis_vitton_tsavo.jpg

1300_281562-2_final_1-1.jpg

stonermans_ring.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
More...

_297.jpeg

lot-149-a-sapphire-and-gold-moi-et-toi-ring-by-suzanne-belperron.jpg

n_00024.jpg

_24385.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so much for all the images, Lula! :D I like several of them, but since I don't want to bezel the stone that leaves me wondering. Maybe something could be modified with the double claw prongs I love? ;-)

I've always loved rings like these - do they have a name? - but I have no idea how they'd look with a center/main stone. Then that also leaves me feeling like the ring would be quite busy. Probably not the right fit for this project.

31043255_924135_ed.jpg

26039819_935284_ed_m.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I, too, love rings like the two you just posted. Wide bands with no taper -- with gems or plain -- look best on my square-ish hands. There is a poster here who has a beautiful gemstone ring -- I think the stone is pale green -- prong set in a wide, filigree (lacy metalwork) band. I think the ring may have been made by Brian Gavin (can anyone else help me out here?).

The issue with colored stones and wide bands is the depth of the stone. And a large stone, such as yours, is deep. Deeper than a diamond of the same weight. So the band has to be domed or arched to accommodate the depth of the stone.

A bridge (I think there's another name -- cathedral?) setting looks like this in profile (scroll down for the drawings)
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-ring-set-in-platinum-photos-attached.70956/

Here's a beautiful example of a cathedral setting with prongs (Bulgari MarryMe):
[Edit] Here's a thread with some profile shots of the ring https://www.pricescope.com/communit...yme-graduated-5-stone-tiffany-6-prong.196615/

bvglari_marry_me_ring.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Update! I always kept coming back to the VC Trueste, but deep down I worried it was too plain and simple. So the other design that I always really loved, even though it wasn't a favorite on PS, is this design by David Klass. Here's what I'm going to do:

-No diamonds (except two surprise stones - one for DH and one for my son - where the red dot is in the third picture)
-14k white gold
-Double claw prongs

Here's his inspiration ring that I'm basically stripping down. I can't wait to hear from him and get the process started! :D

_25267.jpg

_25268.jpg

_25269.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm so sorry for not responding earlier, Lula! For some reason I missed your last post. My apologies. I love the Bulgari ring you showed - I might have to save that for a future project. :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the twisted shank

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, preg. :) I hope to have some drawings within the next week or so to share.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I love this!! The twisted shank, surprise stones, everything! Please keep posting updates and more importantly photos!!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, ricezo! :D I can't wait to get started. haha Yes, I definitely will once I receive some.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, everyone. :wavey: I finally have some drawings! I'd appreciate your feedback. I do have a couple issues I want to ask him about but otherwise I'd like to hear what you think. Thank you!

_26150.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! Great progress Sparklies :wavey:
Your ring will be amazing. I am no expert whatsoever in 'reading' CAD's, but I will give you some observations besides my opinion that your ring will be a beauty :lol:
- in the top view CAD the ring looks bulky. CAD's are mostly bulkier than the real thing but I would raise this with DK just to be sure. Especially since the setting looks slimmer in the other views
- in the first top view CAD there seems to be a 'flow'/ curve in the metal that I do not see in the other views. Both options are lovely, so this is a matter of your personal taste
- it's difficult to determine whether the stone is set (too) high. To not damage your beautiful stone to easily I would set with a minimum height.
- I personally prefer the girdle to be closer to the upper cup. So, for me the stone would have to sink a bit lower
- the upper cup is now roundish. Matter of personal taste whether you prefer it to be round or more flat.
- I love the idea of the surprise stone!
- I love the twist and proportions of the setting.

I can totally see this on your elegant hand!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I have no suggestions but just wanted to say that I can't wait to see your finished ring! I love the twist and hidden stones!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so, so, so much Acinom! I really appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to take a few days to gather my own thoughts and combine them with those from PS; I just emailed DK. We'll see what he says. Any news on when your beauty should arrive? :love:

Aw, thank you, ricezo. :) I can't wait to hear the update on your ring!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1421759646|3819301 said:
Thank you so, so, so much Acinom! I really appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to take a few days to gather my own thoughts and combine them with those from PS; I just emailed DK. We'll see what he says. Any news on when your beauty should arrive? :love:

Aw, thank you, ricezo. :) I can't wait to hear the update on your ring!

No doubt at all: your ring will be absolutely spectacular! What are your thoughts on the design (if you want to share this).
I collected my ring this afternoon and I am absolutely thrilled! I created a thread over in Show Me The Bling: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/precision-gem-meets-victor-canera.209907/#post-3819383#p3819383']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/precision-gem-meets-victor-canera.209907/#post-3819383#p3819383[/URL]

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was DK's reaction on your suggestions Sparklies?

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry for not responding sooner, Acinom. :wavey:

He understood most of what I was asking, but he also tried something different: he rounded the shank. I appreciated him trying that but I didn't care for it at all. Hopefully he doesn't hate me but I asked him to change it back, but keep the other tweaks we talked about. So hopefully the third drawing will be it! I'll post that one once I receive it. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw that you've begun the CAD work. Will keep tabs on this to see updates! :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, Chrono. :)

Even though I'm not keeping everything from this version, I figured I might as well show it in case it helps someone else.

8781__1_.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1422016423|3820823 said:
Sorry for not responding sooner, Acinom. :wavey:

He understood most of what I was asking, but he also tried something different: he rounded the shank. I appreciated him trying that but I didn't care for it at all. Hopefully he doesn't hate me but I asked him to change it back, but keep the other tweaks we talked about. So hopefully the third drawing will be it! I'll post that one once I receive it. :)

Well, I feel it's good that he showed you the rounded option. The rounded shank gives it a quite different. I like both actually 8-)
The squared version feels a bit more crisp. I am so looking forward to see what choices you have made. Your ring will be amazing, to say the least

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the rounded shank, but I think it depends on your style of jewelry. If you want it to look a little edgy, I'd go with the square edge.

S

SparkliesLuver

I have wax model pictures!! :appl: :D

What does everyone think?

20150128_220956.jpg

20150128_221000.jpg

20150128_221010.jpg

20150128_221013.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

More...

20150128_221019.jpg