shape
carat
color
clarity

Would You or Wouldn''t You?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Before continuing, please read this thread.

Those who are so inclined, please list which online vendors would you buy from and which wouldn''t you. You need not justify your lists but may if you so choose.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Would buy from:
  • Blue Nile
  • Dutton's Diamonds (though not SUPERBcert diamonds)
  • Nice Ice
Would not buy from:
  • Abazias
  • Diamonds by Lauren
  • Dirt Cheap Diamonds
  • Excel Diamonds
  • Good Old Gold
  • Mondera
  • Whiteflash

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Would Buy From:

All and anyone

Would Not Buy From:

None edited to add: DBOF

This is not a flip or smart a$$ reply. Personally I would consider buying from anyone (exception of above edit) depending upon the situation and what I was looking for. Naturally I would favor certain vendors first and show loyalty to ones that gave me good service in the past and would in fact prefer to frequent the same vendor(s). However if they didn't have what I was looking for or did not provide acceptable levels of service, I would look elsewhere. I would actually like to see more vendors reviewed here to give people a wider variety of choice and possibilities.

These posts by DR actually got me thinking if we tend to limit discussion and recommendations to a small circle of vendors. It limits the discovery of new options, but I guess if it ain't broke....

edited: If the question is rephrased to "likely" and "not likely" it would slightly change my response

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I personally think it would help consumers if you did justify your lists especially with regard to putting a vendor on the list that you would not buy from. Just putting a vendor on the would not buy list without any explanation of why is not very helpful in my opinion.

I like the idea of what you are doing, but I think more information as to why a vendor was put on a particular list would be more helpful.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
I would prefer it if discussion of this thread were directed elsewhere to allow this thread to remain on topic. I will post my reply there.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to say what dealers I would not buy from. I have had experience with only one of the PS vendors here, it was a good one and I am currently talking to them about another purchase for that reason. Sometimes we hear of bad experiences with one vendor or another. We hear quite often of a handful of dealers who have made loyal customers. I don't think there is any point for any of us to try to make a "list" of vendors we wouldn't deal with since I don't know of anyone on this forum who has dealt with ALL of them personally. We all have different needs and require different kinds of service, so who you deal with just depends on who meets YOUR particular needs the best.

Therefore I can only say who I will deal with from experience: DirtCheapDiamonds

TLS

Shiny_Rock
wonderful Superidealist - I posted my exact same comment on your original thread in red bold
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If shopping for a super-ideal.
diamondexpert
good old gold
niceice
whiteflash
wink
Other diamonds:
Diamonds by Lauren - if you want the strange or unusual thats the place.
David is a charactor and proud of it.

http://www.knoxdiamonds.com/ <-- near h&a diamonds marked as h&a and lack of super-ideals drops Him from the top.
But Brian is a nice guy, helps out here and his diamonds are reasonable priced and in stock. Would recomend for settings and near h&a diamonds. Needs sarin data up.
Ones I wouldnt normaly deal until I got to know them and about them:
Pretty much all the rest.
Ones Id never deal with:
dbof - odvious reasons
uniondiamond - damaged a setting then handled it badly.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
previous history: have purchased multiple items with WF, worked with GOG on setting a Regent in a pendant, also worked with Bruce Boone on Greg's titanium ring

would buy from:

superideal H&A's:
-WF, GOG, NI, DI, maybe DCD but i am not keen on their pricing of their 'almost H&A's...for the most part they seem more expensive than other's H&A's! these are all on my list because of the additional information that they give to the customer in terms of reports, images, closeups of inclusions as well as the expert eye of a trusted individual looking at your stone, and also their reputations from seeing posts on the forum and/or working with them previously. oh and if i was in AU..Garry of course!
9.gif

fancy cuts:
-WF's expert selection, GOG's fancy selection, maybe DBL for the unusual piece and I think Wink carries some fancies? love looking at those asschers on GOG and WF's site right now! oh and ice.au (i think that is the link), if i was ever in the market for a 10c yellow diamond!
31.gif

would not buy from:
-Superbert/Excel unfortunately...i love their stones but personality clash with owners in past probably mean no future purchase.
-DBOF... i don't want to work with someone who acts like the fancy god, seemingly disdains educated customers, and has a negative attitude.
-anyone who doesn't have further information on a stone other than a few basic numbers and a GIA report.

wanted to also add who i would like to work with in terms of things such as settings/custom work:

i've worked in the past with WF/Mr. Le and been very happy with them...i would also love to work with MM and LM at some point in the future
1.gif
oh and of course bruce boone for titanium work!

my two cents!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my market: SuperIdeal Cut Rounds. I am looking for the best overall value in diamonds and service (hence, I am willing to pay some markup for information and service).

Would buy from (no questions asked): NiceIce, Good Old Gold, Whiteflash A cut above, Superbcert.

Would consider & check out: The rest of them

Unlikely to buy from: Blue Nile, Mondaro.

I will note that my preference is NiceIce and Good Old Gold, and the reason is that I have started to assemble the diamonds for a 3 stone e-ring, with 1/4 carat superideal cut MB fluoresenct diamonds. My GF wants smaller side diamonds so that the center stone stands out. Only NiceIce and GOG were even willing to do the search (and the rest of the dealers of "superideal cuts" declined fast). Makes me wonder why I need to look any further for my other diamonds.

I tend to avoid BlueNile and Mondero as it seems that I can get the same diamonds elsewhere for less money - and often the same or better service (but I do like the BlueNile search engine - great for seeing the change in prices based on all the factors).

Perry

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Mark at Engagement Rings Direct gets a HUGE thumbs up from me. I would send anyone to him!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

As far as other vendors, there are several I would consider, but I won''t give a reccommendation unless I have completed a deal. Starting communication does not give me enough information- sometimes the problems lie in completing a deal or following up.

I will say, though, that I had great communication with Whiteflash, Brian Knox, and Michael E. Melissa at Diamonds by Bree was AMAZING with her communication and has a sincere desire to help.

I have a strong disdain for the unprofessional behavior of Diamond Brokers of Florida. I would never do business with a company that behaves in the way this one does. I actually started working with them and then read what they had posted elsewhere. That completely turned me off!!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2005 9:50:43 PM
Author: Feydakin

For the record, I think this thread is a very very bad idea.. Especially if there is no back up explanations, that may help avoid slander, in the post with the lists..

Exactly. This thread is worthless. It needs to be deleted, or at the least locked. Might as well start a thread like this in every section with just a bare list saying "So and so sucks cuz I said so. The end."

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
I love shopping for Diamonds at a local Vietnamese Jeweler called Kieu Hanh located in Westminster, CA. They have very good pricing and they they carry diamonds below a G or VVS2. If you want something lower, they will have to order it for you. They carry both EGL and GIA cert diamonds. No pressure to buy and very helpful. They carry rings you see in bridal magazines too.

If you purchase a diamond there and decide later that you want a bigger rock, you can exchange for a bigger rock and pay the difference. There will be no money lost in transaction.

Here's an idea for diamond pricing:

A .3 carat diamond, color: E clarity: VVS1 is only $210. Great for earrings.

A .90 carat diamond, F in color, VVS1, GIA cert runs about $6100.

I got a diamond there, GIA cert diamonds, 0.80 carats, 5.85 - 5.94 mm, color: E, clarity: IF, 62.9% depth, cutlet: none, symmetry and polish: very good, no flourescence (it's an IF clarity). Price was $4,950.

They speak perfect English, so you don't have to worry. They been in business for over 26 years selling diamonds. They also give you a free jar of jewelry cleaner with your purchase.

(Sorry, but being Asian, we don't settle for diamonds that are below F in color and VVS2 in clarity.)

mia1967

Rough_Rock
Would buy from: Diamond.com
...that''s all of the personal experiences that I have.

(I''ve made 2 perfect purchases from them (dropship) and they definitely have the lowest prices. No pix or Sarins but an excellent return policy).

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This thread is in poor, poor taste.

Billyba36

Rough_Rock
Note, this is my first post, and I find it disconcerting that a "lurker" needs to come out of the woodwork to give what appears to be a forced testimonial.

I''m in the process of buying a tension ring from DBOF. I have had no problems whatsoever, and in fact, would highly recommend them to anyone. Yeah, one of the proprietors there seems to be very passionate about various issues, most of which can be discovered if you do enough digging both here and at the "other" forum. Bottom line is that they are knowledgeable and simply don''t buy into the hype surrounding various of the gimmicks peddled around here that make online purchasers "feel good" about the stone they''re buying sight unseen. Nowhere have I found online or elsewhere anyone that''s said that they [DBOF] didn''t deliver what was promised, unlike one or more episodes involving various other online vendors. That''s what should be important when making a diamond purchase online, and that''s why I''m buying from them.

None of the other vendors would I hesitate buying from. Just my two cents. I think it''s reprehensible that someone would go online and inform the public that they would NOT buy from a particular place and not back it up with at least some anecdotal evidence of the vendor not providing what was promised or otherwise providing substandard service. Come on, you''re buying a DIAMOND here, not picking a best friend. It''s a sizable consumer purchase that should be entered into analytically and with common sense and detachment, not with some nebular conflict that exists between various professionals and which dates back YEARS.

If you want to buy a quality diamond at a good price, I recommend DBOF. If you want to tow the Pricescope line, and maybe get a good diamond in the process, I recommend everyone else.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
I would not purchase from Union Diamond. I had a very bad experience with them. I don't want to rehash all the details, but I'm sure you can find the thread if you run a search.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2005 10:36:25 AM
Author: crankydave

For the record, I think this thread is a very very bad idea.. Especially if there is no back up explanations, that may help avoid slander, in the post with the lists..

My only participation is this thread or any like it is its'' condemnation. It needs to be locked down.

Dave
Why? Are we censors? When I don''t agree with a thread I either debate it or ignore it. As long as discussion is civil, contains no personal member attacks why should it be closed? I didn''t agree with blueman attacking Megan at DI, but don''t think his thread should have been locked down. I''m not a sheep. I can read material and decide whether not I agree and make my own decisions. Is this board a cheering section only?

If this thing degrades, then yes I do beleive it should be locked down. If this thing is worthless, it''ll die on it''s own.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to admit I skimmed SI's original post and that other thread about what he wanted to have posted here, but I personally don't mind having people post what they do or don't like about vendors, however as I did with my own post...I prefer to see basic reasons why, and it doesn't have to be all the dirty details and a long story, but rather a quick, concise note about why you would or would not buy from a vendor.

As long as it doesn't deteriorate, I don't see how it can hurt to have additional information, unless maybe things are brought to light that some vendors don't want out. Just because I wouldn't buy from someone doesn't mean that someone else will not be happy with their diamonds or service. To me these opinions are purely personal and based upon experience, which some people find helpful when making decisions, and sometimes it's good to hear the positive and negative and why that may have come about. Pscope is not only for shining accolades.

If people are not interested in reading about what others have to say about yay or nay, then just don't participate or read it. Draw your own conclusions on your own time. But I for one like to see what others have to say about vendors...this is an information sharing medium after all.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara. If you don''t say why you would''nt buy from a paticular vendor it''s basically of no help to any of us.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2005 2:26:35 AM
Author: codex57

Exactly. This thread is worthless. It needs to be deleted, or at the least locked. Might as well start a thread like this in every section with just a bare list saying ''So and so sucks cuz I said so. The end.''
Guys, any suggestions regarding moderation should be sent to me via email or PM, please...

I don''t think it is a good idea to turn threads into discussions whether they should be locked.
38.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I do not think D. Riley is being objective. I can only wonder if he started this post to boost certain vendors and pan others for reasons best known to himself because he has posted no criteria on which he based his "study."

My experiences with Whiteflash and GoodOldGold were favorable and many here seem to like DirtCheapDiamonds. On the other hand, several people have said that Blue Nile is overpriced. For someone to start a post asking where you would or would not buy a diamond and then immediately post his own conclusions without giving reasons arouses curiousity as to his objectives.

Several of the vendors on his "would not buy" list are among the most popular on Pricescope with very favorable feedback from very satisfied customers. I bought a rather expensive ring from Whiteflash and was very pleased with the service. Are we all being fooled by some of the most popular vendors on Pricescope? Please tell us, Mr. Riley.

If this were truly an objective query, I think he should have left the discussion to others before posting his own conclusions without giving any reasons for his preferences.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2005 4:51:39 AM
Author: PrincessBride
I love shopping for Diamonds at a local Vietnamese Jeweler called Kieu Hanh located in Westminster, CA. They have very good pricing and they they carry diamonds below a G or VVS2. If you want something lower, they will have to order it for you. They carry both EGL and GIA cert diamonds. No pressure to buy and very helpful. They carry rings you see in bridal magazines too.

If you purchase a diamond there and decide later that you want a bigger rock, you can exchange for a bigger rock and pay the difference. There will be no money lost in transaction.

Here''s an idea for diamond pricing:

I got a diamond there, GIA cert diamonds, 0.80 carats, 5.85 - 5.94 mm, color: E, clarity: IF, 62.9% depth, cutlet: none, symmetry and polish: very good, no flourescence (it''s an IF clarity). Price was $4,950.

They speak perfect English, so you don''t have to worry. They been in business for over 26 years selling diamonds. They also give you a free jar of jewelry cleaner with your purchase.

(Sorry, but being Asian, we don''t settle for diamonds that are below F in color and VVS2 in clarity.)
PB
first of all i''m asian,for you to say we don''t settle below F VVS2 is WRONG !!!in fact i would never buy a diamond better than G VS1.whats wrong with most asian is all they care about is D IF ,they don''t care or don''t know about cut quality. before you start to reccommen a jeweler i advise you to check his stones for cut quality,because that will have a big effect on the price.you maybe buying a "poorly" cut D IF stone.

as for upgrading the size; PS e-vendors will give you full credit for purchasing a bigger stone.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
"we don't settle for diamonds that are below F in color and VVS2 in clarity.)"

Do you settle for souding arrogant about it? Being a roundeye, I guess I must have low standards.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, the fact that the asian culture wants F VVS2 REALLY sucks from the guy's point of view. Don't blame it on all asians. Us guys have no problems "settling" for lower stats. I just didn't want to deal with the remarks those stupid relatives would have made about my girl and I if I did. Different cultures just value different things more.

The good thing is my g/f's particular asian culture doesn't demand an elaborate ceremony and all the guests know to give at least $50/person for the reception/banquet. This means that while I shelled out more than I thought necessary on the ring, the wedding is going to cost less than if we had followed American tradition.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Not sure how I feel about this thread, but I'll always promote a good vendor when the opportunity arises! I had GREAT experiences with:

Bill Pearlman, http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com (not at all your typical B&M -- does 70% business on the internet and is ABSOLUTELY the nicest guy EVER!)
Mark Turnowski, www.engagementringsdirect.com (SO knowledgeable and will do his best to find what you want -- even if you're asking for something out of the ordinary)

I've seen the threads about DBOF and I don't like the pricescope bashing by Brad, but prior to my knowledge of the pricescope/DT "conflict", I contacted Jan regarding a few stones. She was VERY very helpful and quick to respond. We didn't make the purchase, but that's because I decided that I wanted a cushion cut rather than an asscher, and I knew that Mark Turnowski came highly recommended for cushions (see Reena's and Moremoremore's). DBOF seemed ok to me strictly from a consumer point of view........and since I never visit DT I could care less what gets said over there.....Like I said, consumer point of view.

Generic "wouldn't" statement here:
I would never ever buy diamonds from a "jeweler" who knows less about them than I do!! I've only been researching on pricescope for a couple of months now, and I think that statement already eliminates most (but CERTAINLY not all) B&M's in my area! SAD!!! but true. I mean come ON people -- learn a little something about your product for cryin' out loud! Two B&M's I respect are Pearlman's (as stated above) in Battle Creek, MI and Brown & Co. in Roswell, GA. I won't mention the others who DON'T impress me -- but I live in Atlanta and I've visited almost all of them, if that tells you anything (including the Mart).

Oh yeah, and I would never buy a diamond from someone who tries to tell me that the cut I want is "impossible to find" or "is just a trend" -- or anything else to get me to buy whatever they have available in the store right then and there.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
edited to move to the other thread -- sorry about putting it in the wrong place.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock

Date: 1/18/2005 4:38:48 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 1/17/2005 4:51:39 AM
Author: PrincessBride

Here''s an idea for diamond pricing:

I got a diamond there, GIA cert diamonds, 0.80 carats, 5.85 - 5.94 mm, color: E, clarity: IF, 62.9% depth, cutlet: none, symmetry and polish: very good, no flourescence (it''s an IF clarity). Price was $4,950.

They speak perfect English, so you don''t have to worry. They been in business for over 26 years selling diamonds. They also give you a free jar of jewelry cleaner with your purchase.

(Sorry, but being Asian, we don''t settle for diamonds that are below F in color and VVS2 in clarity.)
PB
first of all i''m asian,for you to say we don''t settle below F VVS2 is WRONG !!!in fact i would never buy a diamond better than G VS1.whats wrong with most asian is all they care about is D IF ,they don''t care or don''t know about cut quality. before you start to reccommen a jeweler i advise you to check his stones for cut quality,because that will have a big effect on the price.you maybe buying a ''poorly'' cut D IF stone.

as for upgrading the size; PS e-vendors will give you full credit for purchasing a bigger stone.
Dancing Fire,

I guess you''re more of an Americanized Asian. I do check all my cuts before purchase. I know that it''s not just about the clarity or color my dear.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 3:23
6.gif
4 PM
Author: lostdog
''we don''t settle for diamonds that are below F in color and VVS2 in clarity.)''

Do you settle for souding arrogant about it? Being a roundeye, I guess I must have low standards.
Sorry if I sound arrrogant, but you''ll hear about typical Chinese and Vietnamese people buying the best of the best with all the bells and whistle even though they find no use for it. I don''t know why that is and I guess I''ve been born and raised with that mindset.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 3:53:47 PM
Author: codex57
Hey, the fact that the asian culture wants F VVS2 REALLY sucks from the guy''s point of view. Don''t blame it on all asians. Us guys have no problems ''settling'' for lower stats. I just didn''t want to deal with the remarks those stupid relatives would have made about my girl and I if I did. Different cultures just value different things more.

The good thing is my g/f''s particular asian culture doesn''t demand an elaborate ceremony and all the guests know to give at least $50/person for the reception/banquet. This means that while I shelled out more than I thought necessary on the ring, the wedding is going to cost less than if we had followed American tradition.
Hey there Codex,

Even though we''ve been in this great country for more than 25 years, we are so traditional. I guess lucky for you, you don''t have to go through the traditional dowries, engagement money ($999 or $9,999), diamond earrings, diamond necklace (all part of the engagement process), and the tea ceremony. My bf would love that. He''s scared about what my parents are asking for.

And you''re right, the norm in the US for ceremony is $50/head for the reception banquet. I like that better cuz it helps pay for the banquet. We don''t give gifts. The only gifts people can give instead of money is jewlery...nothing less than 24K gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results