shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you get married in a "haunted" building?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are attending a wedding tonight for a co-worker of my hubby's. They wanted it casual, so they're having it (and the reception) in an old building in the downtown district. It used to be the Masonic Lodge, originally built between 1844 and 1858. It's been renovated, and they did a nice job, especially the bar area. So yeah, it's a neat old building with 3 floors. However, it is named Spirits, for its reported "residents". It's even been on haunted tours. Our town is supposedly very haunted. One of my friends went on a tour through there, and she's not a terribly easily influenced gal, but she said when they got to the top floor, the hair on the back of her neck stood up...

So this morning, I casually said to hubby, I don't think I'd want to get married in a place that's supposedly haunted. And that got me wondering if it would bother others. I know there are those that don't believe in ghosts, and therefore it wouldn't bother some. But for those that don't in particular, would any of you still avoid it, just because? For those that do believe, would it stop you?

Thoughts?
unsure3.gif

ETA I had quote marks on "haunted" in the title, but they don't show up.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ellen:

I''ll be the first oddball to stand up and shout YES!

FI and I are actually getting married on Halloween. It is my most favorite holiday of all and I''m a total sucker for scary movies, haunted anything and jump at the chance to participate in anything where I may get my pants scared off of me!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 9:55:17 AM
Author: Keepingthefaith21
Hi Ellen:

I''ll be the first oddball to stand up and shout YES!

FI and I are actually getting married on Halloween. It is my most favorite holiday of all and I''m a total sucker for scary movies, haunted anything and jump at the chance to participate in anything where I may get my pants scared off of me!
lol.gif
This I didn''t expect!
2.gif

If you''re ever in the St. Louis area, you should pop over, we have quite a few "haunted" sites. Scroll down towards the bottom for links to some of the most famous. I met my hubby while he was bartending at the Franklin House. I spent many a night there, but never encountered anything, although, maybe I did and didn''t notice for all the other "spirits" I''d encountered.
9.gif

Check out the story, we had a very famous guest there also.
28.gif

http://www.altonhauntings.com/

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d get married there. I''m not sure I believe in ghosts, but I love the idea of places that have a history, a story to tell. I always go on the haunted tours in towns.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I must have without knowing it, b/c my marriage has been haunting me for years.....
17.gif
or
11.gif
???

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 10:43:22 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I must have without knowing it, b/c my marriage has been haunting me for years.....
17.gif
or
11.gif
???

cheers--Sharon
lol3.gif

You is bad.
2.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I would--it would be awesome! I''ve always loved the idea of haunted houses, so I think it would be fun.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely would! I''d just have to tell the caterers to bring a little extra food, in case we have some unexpected "guests"! LOL!
2.gif
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Sure, I''d get married there. I lived with a ghost or ''spirit'' once. If I''m a firm believer in my Christianity, why should I be afraid of something that merely ''defies explanation''?

Honey chil''e, I am washed in the Blood! Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, that He is Lord! (read that like you are a COGIC woman in her best hat on Sunday morning)
12.gif
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
As long as the wedding cake doesn''t levitate it''s all good with me
9.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
No problem for me. The ballroom of the Stanley hotel was or second choice venue. Believe me, it doesn''t get more haunted than the hotel the "shinning" is based on and ghost hunters favorite spot.

I figure any of those uninvited guests would add to the entertainment without charging or eating the food, so why not?

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
How would you know if you hadn''t????? We got married in an Irish hall in NY, in Brooklyn.....small place, but old.....did not stop to think about ghosts.....
23.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/27/2008 3:52:49 PM
Author: starsapphire
How would you know if you hadn''t????? We got married in an Irish hall in NY, in Brooklyn.....small place, but old.....did not stop to think about ghosts.....
23.gif
Good question, Star! For all I know, we may have gotten married in a haunted place. It was a big old house which has been converted into a B&B. It''s probably over 100 years old, so you just never know . . .

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way! So, did you see/feel/hear anything?

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Yea I would! I have a little bit of an infatuation with ghosts. My favorite movies when I was younger were the ghostbusters and beetlejuice (oh, giving away my age?) I love all those haunted places shows and ghost hunters - plus if the venue was gorgeous I wouldnt be able to pass it up. I guess if there was some kind of demonic evil spirit- that would change my mind a little. haha. Maybe they''ll catch ghosts in their wedding pictures?
23.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn''t. It would creep me out and I''d always be looking around for a ''sign'' of the haunting! I know a young man that is getting married next spring and the rehearsal dinner is in an old hotel that is rumored to be haunted. Not for me - no sireee!
38.gif

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
no way. If I were to attend the wedding, I''d try not to go to the bathroom at all.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 11:14:45 PM
Author: lovegem
no way. If I were to attend the wedding, I''d try not to go to the bathroom at all.
lol, why the bathroom Lovegem??! This statement cracked me up!

I''m definately in the no way camp.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because she''d be alone in the stall. Plus, she might see a something in the mirror. I''ve had these thoughts before, ok?
23.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I would have to say it would not bother me at all and I have never really thought about it.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/27/2008 11:28:37 PM
Author: Harriet
Because she''d be alone in the stall. Plus, she might see a something in the mirror. I''ve had these thoughts before, ok?
23.gif
Harriet, whatever you do, DO NOT go and see the movie "Mirrors" with Kiefer Sutherland!!! My Mom and I went to see it a couple weeks ago and . . . EEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!
32.gif
23.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
No, not if it had a violent bloody personal past. Castles with wars and such dont worry me ... not sure why that should be different to me, but it is.

d2b

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn''t.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
we are! our venue is also an old masonic lodge from the early 1920''s. it has two big ballrooms and while a lot has been refinished, it still has a LOT of the original woodwork, doors, chandeliers, etc. before we went to visit it i googled it for reviews and came up with a TON of ghosthunter links! i think it''s neat, and it was actually sort of a selling point for FI
3.gif

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Umm, now I''m scared - I''m getting married at William Penn''s mansion, built in 1686!!!! I hadn''t thought of the possibility of there being ''spirits'' there until RIGHT NOW!! (thanks, Ellen!) At least it doens''t have a reputation for being haunted...
20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 1:50:05 PM
Author: purrfectpear
As long as the wedding cake doesn''t levitate it''s all good with me
9.gif
lol.gif
I am happy to report the cake didn''t move once.
9.gif
Nor did I encounter any unusual spirits, just the liquid kind.
3.gif
And speaking of, we arrived and were seated. Hubby says, there''s soandso, and she''s drinking a beer. I looked at her and thought WTH? Then I really looked around, and almost everyone had a drink, and there was a small bar in the back corner of the room. This was a first for me, I have never seen this done. Hubby asked if I wanted one, but I said no. It was one of the few times in my life I turned down a perfectly good drink, but I just felt weird imbibing during a wedding ceremony!
unsure3.gif

lovegem, you''ll be glad to know I only used the bathroom twice, and someone was with me both times. lol However, the dryers could practically blow you across the room.
yikes2.gif
(Harret, stop thinking!)
9.gif

brazen, we actually visied that hotel when we vacationed in CO. Neat place.

And yeah, I''m sure there may be places that are supposed to be but you might not know. I guess my question would be, if you did. Glad to see there were some nay sayers, I was beginning to think it was just me.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
IT would never cross my mind to get married at haunted place! I'm too much of a chicken when it comes to ghosts/spirits...
15.gif

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/27/2008 11:28:37 PM
Author: Harriet
Because she'd be alone in the stall. Plus, she might see a something in the mirror. I've had these thoughts before, ok?
23.gif
39.gif
I thought I was the only one having thoughts like that, comforting to know that I'm not alone...
40.gif
, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results