shape
carat
color
clarity

Would appreciate suggestions...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I think that is a fabulous idea to go try on assorted types and styles of rings. I often find my tastes differ from pictures.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy, I have small pudgy hands with short fingers and short knuckles. A lot of the stuff I ADORE on the screen looks frankly terrible on my hands (east west anything, for example and super thin shanks), so I have to try on things. I have tried on a bar set 5 stone with 20 pointers. I wanted stones just a smidge bigger and more coverage, so I decided on the seven 25 pointers as the solution. But it's been 2 years since I've looked, so it's time.

I will try on the Jazz by Tiffany too, even though it is much smaller than the graduated band I am considering, it will give me an idea of the look on my hands.

It is best to try things on if you can. Always. Thanks so much for your help.

DS, we do like a lot of the same jewelry.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I understand not wanting to get something that would provoke unwanted comments. For many years, my MIL would look at what I was wearing and ask "Is that new?" It sounds innocuous, but the way she said it, the tone she used, always put me on the defensive. I didn't buy expensive clothes and always stayed within my budget so it wasn't deserved and she spent way more on clothes and makeup than I did. I started making sure I wore something old when I saw her to see if she would stop, but she still always asked and I finally realized it wasn't what I wore that provoked the comment, it was that she had to say something. I'm sure she'd say she was just making small talk, but it didn't feel like it to me. And she still made me feel bad about myself even when I knew it really said more about her.

So I get what you're trying to accomplish, but be ready for the possibility it won't work regardless of what you buy. It would be a shame to get a ring you don't love because you think it makes less of a statement and then those same people say "Oh, another new ring?" or something like that. It's not the ring that makes a statement. It's the people who feel compelled to comment on it in a not nice way that make a statement.

Trying on a graduated bezel ring is a great idea. Sometimes we love rings that we end up not loving for ourselves. That, of course, is the only reason I don't have a 20 ct. cushion.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy

I just read your latest post. We should start the "short, stubby finger" collection!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1464752538|4038819 said:
Gypsy

I just read your latest post. We should start the "short, stubby finger" collection!

We should! It should have a "What NOT to wear" section. Cause I gotta tell ya, the list is long.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1464752450|4038816 said:
Gypsy, I understand not wanting to get something that would provoke unwanted comments. For many years, my MIL would look at what I was wearing and ask "Is that new?" It sounds innocuous, but the way she said it, the tone she used, always put me on the defensive. I didn't buy expensive clothes and always stayed within my budget so it wasn't deserved and she spent way more on clothes and makeup than I did. I started making sure I wore something old when I saw her to see if she would stop, but she still always asked and I finally realized it wasn't what I wore that provoked the comment, it was that she had to say something. I'm sure she'd say she was just making small talk, but it didn't feel like it to me. And she still made me feel bad about myself even when I knew it really said more about her.

So I get what you're trying to accomplish, but be ready for the possibility it won't work regardless of what you buy. It would be a shame to get a ring you don't love because you think it makes less of a statement and then those same people say "Oh, another new ring?" or something like that. It's not the ring that makes a statement. It's the people who feel compelled to comment on it in a not nice way that make a statement.

Trying on a graduated bezel ring is a great idea. Sometimes we love rings that we end up not loving for ourselves. That, of course, is the only reason I don't have a 20 ct. cushion.

I know exactly what you mean. My Stepfather is like that. He has this way of saying things that he just doesn't realize how it comes across. So I have learned to ignore it.

The Aurora was extreme though. I mean people would just grab my hand and stare and show their friends or boyfriends or husbands or whatever. At the grocery store. At the nail salon. And one time, I kid you not, a driver almost crashed their car because the thing blinded them. It stopped traffic! It was over 2 carats of "large and in charge" and I just didn't feel comfortable with the attention and I noticed I started reaching for other bands to wear that were less conspicuous.

And yes, that of course is why I don't own an 8 carat EC! Just wouldn't look right on my hands.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1464751292|4038808 said:
Marcy, I have small pudgy hands with short fingers and short knuckles. A lot of the stuff I ADORE on the screen looks frankly terrible on my hands (east west anything, for example and super thin shanks), so I have to try on things. I have tried on a bar set 5 stone with 20 pointers. I wanted stones just a smidge bigger and more coverage, so I decided on the seven 25 pointers as the solution. But it's been 2 years since I've looked, so it's time.

I will try on the Jazz by Tiffany too, even though it is much smaller than the graduated band I am considering, it will give me an idea of the look on my hands.

It is best to try things on if you can. Always. Thanks so much for your help.

Gypsy, that sounds like me too. I have short fingers and not much room there before my knuckles. The Jazz is a very classy looking ring. Hopefully wherever you choose to go try on their rings they will let you take pictures of them on your hand. Then you can compare them all side by side and of course ask all of us what we think. You know us PSers we are always willing to help someone pick out a pretty new piece of jewelry. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a great idea. What I should do is take my husband with me so he can take photos. Or neatfreak, if she wants to come with. I'm a miserable photographer.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I look forward to following your journey! My instant suggestion was "bar set band" as you've mentioned wanting one and loving that style for years now, but having read through this thread it seems that perhaps a graduated bezel band is the better choice. Definitely try on the Tiffany version; like you I'd prefer it with slightly larger diamonds but overall it is a delicious design: elegant and low-key and extremely wearable.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a band project...Im excited for you Gypsy!!

You have had your eye on the yellow gold bar set seven stone ring for a while. In fact you offered that suggestion to me a few years back. :)) I can say 1st hand that seven 25 pointers will give plenty finger coverage and extremely comfortable to wear. Having had both the 5 and 7 stone band, I personally prefer the 7. So much that I purchased another 7 stone with smaller stones. Weird. I know.

Trying on the different style bands and looking for photos of bands styles that make you heart sing is a good idea. Unless you have narrowed it down to the 7 stone bar set or the graduated bezel 5 stone. Then you would just have to decide which between the two styles and metal you really truly prefer deep...deep... down inside. lol. In your gut. ;-)

Do you know which you are leaning toward? 5 graduated or 7 bar set?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. Sometimes I think I would prefer a forever band to having a diamond solitaire. :shifty:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I checked out the graduated five stone that tweeter linked to on LAD, this one showed up on the page below it. It's sold, but if you zoom over it, you can see that it is milgrained inside the bezels only. Overall ct wt is less, so the stones are a tad smaller, but overall this one spoke to me as being what you are after. To me, it looks very easy to wear every day, and has a great balance of understated bling. If I remember correctly, Erica is a size 6.5 too? So although I wouldn't describe her fingers the way you describe yours, it gives you some idea of the presence at least.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/sold-1-38ctw-old-european-cut-diamond-5-stone-band-in-sholdt-r-560/

PS - price was 3150, right in your budget. It's made by Sholdt, so I'm assuming it's not a one-off.

img_5535__25829.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mary, You are right. I love that bezels are so low key. And I also love that WELL DONE thin bezels are so hard to find. Because every time I look at my own bezels I get a thrill because I know that they are well done and that's a detail only I really appreciate and notice. So it's for ME. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Zestfully, Thanks so much for your post. I think I'm going to have to try on several rings to see what my gut says. I am leaning toward the graduated rounds in a super thin bezel setting. It was the design I passed up for the Aurora, and I regret that now. But I HAVE really been wanting the bar set 7 stone as well. So I think I'm going to have to see how I feel once I try things on my hand. It is between those two designs though. Ideally (which is not going to happen), I'd go for both. The bezels in brushed yellow gold with OECs, and the bar set band in platinum.

Thank you Rainy for that picture/link. The finger shots are really helpful for blinginess evaluation. I like many of Sholdt's pieces, but that one's bezel's are too thick for me for this size stone. I also think I'm not going to forgo milgrain. I have a good feeling about using IDJ for my setting. Yekutiel knows how 'particular" (what an extreme pain in the arse) some PSers, like me, can be and he really does go the extra mile to make his customer's happy. And I am SUPER fussy about settings and metal work.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha, yeah those bezels are rather thick and not as refined.

So I happened upon this five-stone while looking for something else. I know you are now focused on seeing a seven stone with 25 pointers and this is a five stone with much smaller diamonds, and I don't think the bezels are thin or refined enough on this one, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Seeing as many things as possible is what helps me personally. It's in budget, got the milgrain, looks comfy to wear, and has antique stones. Although, I know you have a keen eye and you said finding five or seven antique matches makes going that route a no-go.

ETA: never mind, not true antiques. Cut by Yoram.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-ring-56cts-d-e-vs-old-mine-brilliant-five-stone-diamond-ring-r5297

r5297-handshot-02.jpg

r5297-diamond-band-old-mine-c.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooooooh. I wish I could afford to have custom cut OECs by Yoram. In H color. YUMMO.

I wonder who the lucky owner of that band is/will be.

Thank you again rainy. The more I see the bezels the more I am thinking I want them! :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
bezels rock. hard.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1465168535|4040612 said:
Gotcha, yeah those bezels are rather thick and not as refined.

So I happened upon this five-stone while looking for something else. I know you are now focused on seeing a seven stone with 25 pointers and this is a five stone with much smaller diamonds, and I don't think the bezels are thin or refined enough on this one, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Seeing as many things as possible is what helps me personally. It's in budget, got the milgrain, looks comfy to wear, and has antique stones. Although, I know you have a keen eye and you said finding five or seven antique matches makes going that route a no-go.

ETA: never mind, not true antiques. Cut by Yoram.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-ring-56cts-d-e-vs-old-mine-brilliant-five-stone-diamond-ring-r5297

Gosh, I've been crushing on this bezel band for a while now... I just love everything about it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1465432965|4041933 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-pics-of-a-great-ring-new-5-stone-reset-iphone-pics.194637/ I am just going to put this here. Proportions are perfect.

So I was just reading and enjoying this thread and all the pretty suggestions and links. And then I clicked that link and was like "oh hey! That's my ring !" Hahahaha. I had totally not recognized it by the link. Doh.

Anyways. I'm glad you like it! As it turns out I love the proportions but it's a smidge big on my 4.5 fingers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful.

Do you mind, at some point, posting the mm of each stone if you have them?

I would like to do the math and find out what the ratios are so I can match it. Looking at your band I'm thinking I may be able to do 15 point sides which would save me a lot of money!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1465449666|4042063 said:
It's beautiful.

Do you mind, at some point, posting the mm of each stone if you have them?

I would like to do the math and find out what the ratios are so I can match it. Looking at your band I'm thinking I may be able to do 15 point sides which would save me a lot of money!!!

I can probably dig it up somewhere. If not my jeweler may still have the measurements from the CaD

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this one on LAD, thought it was worth posting even though it doesn't check all the boxes perfectly. Five stone, not graduated though, bezeled and milgrained, gorgeous gallery. Made by CVB. It's larger (2.25, so 45pt diamonds) and more than you want to spend, but this is one I could easily picture in with 25 pointers. I know you want to be able to try your ring on, though. Haha, after all that I can't decide if I'm being helpful or silly posting it now!

lad_fivestone.jpg

lad_fivestone2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you believe I drove all the way down to freaking Joe Escobar and walked out of there without having tried on ONE band. I'm an idiot.

There were two sapphire rings there that caught my heart and I tried them on. And the Sholdt halo I've had my eye on. But that's it.

I got sidetracked meeting a PSer (newbie looking for her own e-ring) there to help her figure out what she wants. And picking up and dropping off a repair.

I am an idiot.
:nono:

Rainy, that is lovely. And even though it is bigger than I would want I can visualize the graduated look from there and can tell I'd like it a lot. I adore these beautiful high crowns in the profile shots. SWOONtastic.

AG- HI! Long time no see! That is a nice band and actually the price is very decent! I am going to have to go and try stuff on when my necklace repair is done. I can't BELIEVE I forgot to do it today.

MTG, I don't want to be a pain, but if you could I would really appreciate that. I love your band.

I also love the fact that I may be able to save some money by going for 15 pointers on the outside stones. Saving money makes me happy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Q

Queenie60

Gypsy|1465704242|4043116 said:
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/the-5-stone-ring-thread-t134007-330.html

By HS4S

20150611_174913.jpg
20150611_174307.jpg
20150611_154856.jpg
collage_20150610122823540.jpg

It says: "All stones are between 4 and 5.6mm. I love the comfort level!"

Which tells me I am on the right track. Setting by sholdt.

I love :love: :love: this ring. I would go for this bezel style. Hmmmm. May want one myself! You have great taste Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww... thanks Queenie.

I love a lot of styles. That's why I'm so schizophrenic about big purchases. I like too many styles of jewelry, and having to sit there and go "okay so... what do I love FOR ME, and what do I just love in the abstract" can be hard for me. And then to take it one step further and say: "well, I love it, but do I love it enough to pay retail" is another step, cause I'm cheap.

LOL.

If you do go for it, please make sure you hit me over the head so I don't miss it. I already talked to Yekutiel about it, so he's already said he can do it. FYI, since I know you have worked with him happily, like I have, in the past.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1465704242|4043116 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/the-5-stone-ring-thread-t134007-330.html

By HS4S

It says: "All stones are between 4 and 5.6mm. I love the comfort level!"

Which tells me I am on the right track. Setting by sholdt.

Wait, isn't that the same as one of the ones I posted above? It was by Sholdt too, just sold by LAD. Maybe some of their jewelers are better at bezels than others, because the ones you posted do look a little less chunky?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup. Bezels need a very good bench. VERY VERY good.

Even if you order the sholdt, how the bench sets the stones and finishes the setting really matters.

Q

Queenie60

Hi Gypsy - you have dibs on this one! It's beautiful and I know that Yekutiel can have a beautiful bezel ring made for you. However, if you go with another style...... You have great taste! Can't wait to see what you decide to get. Have fun shopping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results