shape
carat
color
clarity

Would a french cut sapphire band fit into my "stack"

Does this blue band look good with my stack?

• Yes

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Meh

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
As a fellow traveler in large paw land, I have found skinny (2.5mm and under) and plentiful is my sweet spot for stacking. These are all 2 to 2.5mm 20200209_161717.jpg

Sapphire is 2.5, diamond is 3.3ish, and ruby is 3mm.
IMG_20200704_201037_553.jpg

Gorgeous stack! I love the 2.5 mm proportions. And beautiful e ring by the way!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
For a fun accessory to change things up? Totes.

But as a permanent fixture in your stack - I don’t love it, gotta be honest ;( The antique look - milgrain, engraving, even the french cuts - to me they don’t really mesh naturally with your very clean, very modern E-ring and band. I’m thinking a plain-channel sapphire band like your fakie - but with carre cuts - would blend more, stylistically... Do you like carre stones? They don’t photograph as well as frenchies but they’re beautiful in-person, I think. Tiffany makes/made beautiful square sapphire bands :love:

I think you are right. I have two main “styles” - clean and simple, and ornate antique.

I actually do really like carre cuts, and step cuts in general. I think that’s an excellent suggestion. I will totally check out the Tiffany bands...

Can I ask question - I’ve thought about engraving my wedding band to add a little more visual distinction between the diamonds and band. I find they all meld together a bit as just “shiny white” - but I was curious about your thoughts. I know my band will patina with time. I’d probably do a wheat pattern. (heck anyone on this thread, feel free to chime in!)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Personally I really really like it as per your photo but I would agree with others that a plainer band would be my preference for your stack, I don’t think engraved and antique is the way to go.
I don’t find the width overwhelming at all and I wouldn’t go thinner than 2.5mm because I don’t think it will look right with your wedding band as it is reasonably substantial.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I think you all are right about plainer being a better fit for my stack. My wedding band is 2.7mm, and I think that 2.5mm would look right at home!!!

I also agree with your second comment about genuine vs repro...I actually do really want a crisp, impeccable band...if that means a genuine antique is out of the question, I’m absolutely at peace with that. Now, if some lovely lady with giant hands (certainly by old timey standards) has had a lovely sapphire band sitting in a box for 100 years...well now, that would be perfect! Haha!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It’s a beautiful band, but for me it doesn’t work with your ring and wedding band. It takes the focus away from your super clean modern ring, it’s not cohesive somehow for me. Just my opinion! I think if you were to get this band it would make a great middle/index finger ring for you to wear everyday (or an RHR). But not on the same finger as your wedding set.

I think you are right, the more I look at it! The style is gorgeous- but a bit too ornate!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are right. I have two main “styles” - clean and simple, and ornate antique.

I actually do really like carre cuts, and step cuts in general. I think that’s an excellent suggestion. I will totally check out the Tiffany bands...

Can I ask question - I’ve thought about engraving my wedding band to add a little more visual distinction between the diamonds and band. I find they all meld together a bit as just “shiny white” - but I was curious about your thoughts. I know my band will patina with time. I’d probably do a wheat pattern. (heck anyone on this thread, feel free to chime in!)

Y’know. My concern with texture in general is that - once it’s there it’s always there. You can’t ever go backward to a cleaner look (without buying another piece). So I personally would be more inclined to add new bands rather than edit existing bands - a twisted band, a knife edge spacer with milgrain, an engraved band, whatever suits.

That philosophy ends in more bands than you’ll ever wear at once though. Observer beware and all :lol:

I hear you on wanting “crispness”. If that’s a priority, but you do want the vintage-y look, maybe CvB would be a good fit rather than preloved - you could choose your sapphire tone too...

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Y’know. My concern with texture in general is that - once it’s there it’s always there. You can’t ever go backward to a cleaner look (without buying another piece). So I personally would be more inclined to add new bands rather than edit existing bands - a twisted band, a knife edge spacer with milgrain, an engraved band, whatever suits.

That philosophy ends in more bands than you’ll ever wear at once though. Observer beware and all :lol:

I hear you on wanting “crispness”. If that’s a priority, but you do want the vintage-y look, maybe CvB would be a good fit rather than preloved - you could choose your sapphire tone too...

Yeah, you are right RE engraving. I’m so fickle that I probably won’t make a decision on engraving for a while. I’m not terribly sentimental about my engagement ring, but I am about my wedding ring. I struggle to imagine letting it languish in a box in favor of other stacking bands. Therein lies my dilemma...do I give her a new look? I guess you can’t go wrong with simple. You *can* however go overboard with ornate IMO.

I love CVB sapphire bands, the rivière in particular with the elongated French cuts...yum!!!

This whole thread has been enlightening, as per usual!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh and as to the comments on the vintage/not vintage bands. Personally I think they are in fabulous condition which probably indicates that as @elizat so thoroughly details that they are not the genuine antique article.
But regardless they have been done so so well that I would rather go for one of those than a slightly damaged genuine version or one that’s vintage but with not such great engraving etc. Also, personally whilst I can deal with imperfect colored stones, facet abrasion on sapphires is a real bugbear of mine so I would go for the newer but looks like it could have been transported from 1927 with a time machine version!

Yep, you have to be okay with the wear! I have a bezel set sapphire in a deco ring that has been slightly polished because it was very abraded. However, it looks better now, but in some angles the stone almost looks like a cabochon. It is absolutely a trade off. For bands like this, that are going to take daily wear, I think a reproduction is honestly a better choice for most people. They are going to be sturdier, you are going to be able to wear them with less concern, and unless something being genuinely old is important to you, on the balance for something like this type of ring my vote for most people would be for a repro.

I have a ring with calibre cut emeralds and it's old. It looks it as well and you can't just wear it everywhere.

I think that's the trade-off that you do with antique pieces. Sometimes they're fine to wear everyday, but many times you have to baby them.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted 'meh' as I like the band, but as a 3 stack, your e-ring is edging towards your knuckle. A thinner version would be lovely and more balanced I think.

Edit: @yssie s knife edge milgrained spacer idea in a colored metal would be subtly antiquey, and break up the white block of your set. And get the carré band for your right hand!

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I don't have anything to add really, everyone steered you true. A thinner 2mm more modern sapphire band will look fabulous for that pop.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I got a fake pink & white CZ 2mm band just for comparison for fun...and I have to say, I like the width of it a lot and am surprised that I sorta like the blingy look :mrgreen: - I don't think I would go for this style in particular, but who knows! One day I will have to band shopping!

Food for thought...glad to have passed on that sapphire band. It is too chunky. Y'all are the best!

Also wow - white CZs show body color in diamonds like nobody's business side-by-side! :rolleyes:

IMG-5726.jpg

Sachsensox

Rough_Rock
As a fellow traveler in large paw land, I have found skinny (2.5mm and under) and plentiful is my sweet spot for stacking. These are all 2 to 2.5mm 20200209_161717.jpg

Sapphire is 2.5, diamond is 3.3ish, and ruby is 3mm.
IMG_20200704_201037_553.jpg

May i ask details about the diamond band? I love it! Are they cushions?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funnily enough I like it as the centre ring but not at the end of the stack. It seems to harmonise really well in the middle. Hope you don’t mind me saying that x

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Funnily enough I like it as the centre ring but not at the end of the stack. It seems to harmonise really well in the middle. Hope you don’t mind me saying that x

No I don’t mind at all! I decided to hold off on buying any stacking rings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results