shape
carat
color
clarity

Will You Ever Upgrade?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t plan on upgrading the diamond. My FI picked it out and is really proud of himself for doing that. It is the symbol of our engagement.

He did propose with a temp setting. I am hoping the way I set it will be my forever setting, but if my tastes change in the future, I have no problem resetting my diamond. He said he would have no problem with that either.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if all my money doesn''t one day go to mortgage, car payment and child care, I would totally like to upgrade my 1.0ct to 1.5ct... someday!

(single mother by the way-- this could take 30 years)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I will probably not upgrade my diamond (that I haven''t even received yet, lol!) But, the setting may change. Plus, who says that you have to have one engagement ring? I would love to have a couple of different shape center stones.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''d asked me 6 years ago when I got engaged, I''d have said never. It''s a pretty .47 carat centre and what we could afford at the time. I don''t mind the size. I mind the experience that we had purchasing it and all the flaws I now see in it. I rarely wear it. I haven''t upgraded as in getting a larger stone, but I have added more rings that I prefer and wear more often.

6 years on, yes, I would upgrade. Not size necessary, but quality.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
I plan on keeping my original e-ring without trading it in or modifying/resetting it. So no "upgrade."

BUT...!

I was daydreaming about our future the other day and was talking to DH about it when he brought up the subject of a bigger ring. He knows this jewelry freak too well...
11.gif
I told him I wanted the center stone to be my birthday (x.xx ct.), and the tcw to be his birthday. He was glad we weren''t born in November and December!
9.gif

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock

I may, but its completely unneccesary. I have 2 Ct center stone, but woudln''t object to keeping the setting and putting a 3 ct in there.

We shall see.

I am attached to the setting but I don''t have any emotional tie to the diamond itself (althoguth I do love it and it would have to be as good of a cut as I currently have.)

The bigger the better for me!

25.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an e-ring (married almost 2 years now) but I anticipate someday inheriting a stone or two from my mother. At that time, I will likely set it at a solitare and wear it on my left hand, but I''m not certain yet.

SAPHIRINA

Rough_Rock
As of right now, I feel that I wouldn''t want to upgrade. I love my stone and the sentiment behind it. But, in the future, when other expenses are taken care of, I do want a fabulous RHR. I''m thinking cushion in the 2.5-3.0 ct. range. A girl can dream
9.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m way too sentimental to ever change my engagement ring ... but I like the idea of a growable RHR. So for some special occasion I''m hoping to get a 1 ct. or thereabouts marquise and a setting that can accommodate different heads, and to go up to 1.5 ... 2.0 ... and beyond! For the sake of sanity, if/when I hit 3 carats, I''ll probably stop.

Probably.
41.gif

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
I hope so! Right now our budget is small since we are both grad students, and we will probably get something like a .5 ct RB in a white gold solitaire. Don''t get me wrong, I am very excited.
9.gif
But maybe a couple years of marriage when we''re both settled in our careers, I would love to upgrade to a 1 ct RB in a platinum setting!

Haven''t discussed this with him yet...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I don''t plan on upgrading. Ever. I''m far too sentimental for that, plus we are looking at a setting and diamond that I will love and be comfortable with my whole life.

That being said, I would also love to be able to pass my ring or my diamond on to my son or daughter because I love the idea of heirloom stones. If that were the case, I would get a new e-ring but keep my wedding band, and if they only wanted the diamond I''d get a lovely gemstone to put in my e-ring setting for a RHR.

LadyJane83

Shiny_Rock
Eh, I dunno. I understand why people want to upgrade and don''t see anything wrong with it, but I''m sort of sentimental and I really love my ring. The size is perfect for me, my lifestyle, and geographic area. My ideal was a stone .25 bigger, but I didn''t want to spend that kind of money and I don''t really think about it.

If I have extra money, I''m inclined to use it to go on vacations or out to nice dinners. I don''t think I would ever choose a larger ring over a vacation. In fact, I originally wanted to forego a ring, and apply that money toward a kick-ass honeymoon.. but now I am glad I have the ring :) It all just boils down to what people choose to spend their extra money on. So, I don''t think I would upgrade, but you never know.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
My DH used my mom''s ering when he proposed and we both always intended to buy another ering down the line. Lately I''ve been contemplating going with 2 different future "upgrades" since I''m so indecisive. DH is in full support of me having multiple diamond rings, he''s a good man.
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Four years on, and I don't foresee ever upgrading the e-ring. Plus, he bezel set the sucker so if I ever want to upgrade, I have to change the setting, too. Clever on his part.
2.gif

I have a right hand. I've bought lots of other rings for my right hand, and even a new eternity band to *gasp* replace my original wedding band for daily wear.

The ring's just a thing, but I'm pretty sentimental about it.

A

Anonymous

Nope. My sentimental attachment to my e-ring far outweighs any desire that I may or may not have in the future to have a bigger stone. The only time I''d upgrade is if it was necessary because something had happened to my ring...and I hope that nothing ever does! Maybe if I didn''t love it, or if my FI hadn''t put so much effort into picking it, then I''d consider upgrading I guess. To each his or her own! :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t really upgrade the stone (spinels are very very different creatures from diamonds and much more rare) so now I won''t "upgrade" my stone. I will change the setting I''m sure. But I will definitely get more rings. I already have about 9 of them, and three in the works...
9.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I love my diamond, so I definitely don''t see myself ever upgrading it. It''s about 1.5 carats, and I personally would not be comfortable wearing a stone much bigger than that. I''m sort of sentimental, and I love the idea of having this exact ring for the rest of my life. Who knows how I''ll feel in 10 or 20 years, but for now, I would have to say no to an upgrade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results