shape
carat
color
clarity

Will You Ever Upgrade?

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
Or are you planning to keep the same e-ring forever and ever?

Do you think you might change your mind later on?

How does your other half feel about the phenomenon of "upgrading", (which i never heard about before coming on PS)?

Any and all thoughts welcome!

1.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I won''t upgrade my e-ring. I had only heard of it through the B&M stores with their upgrade policies. If for some reason our finances changed and BF''s budget for the ring was cut way down, then I would be willing to take a smaller ring and then upgrade. But, BF won''t hear of that. He wants this ring to be the only e-ring I ever wear. Which unfortunately means that until he starts making more money, I have to wait
7.gif
. He is really working hard to save money and I appreciate it so much. I really feel guilty about it sometimes because I feel like he sacrifices too much just to save money. But, that''s off the topic. BF is okay with us purchasing a temp setting for now so that we can focus all the budget into the diamond. Then, "upgrade" to my dream setting which is the Torchiere by Mark Morrell.

I don''t think I will ever change my mind about my e-ring. I am getting a RB solitaire, which I have loved ever since I was a little girl. So, I know it''s perfect for me. I love solitaires, but have been thinking about three stone rings recently, mostly for the finger coverage and overall bling. I was thinking that instead of upgrading, I could keep my center stone and add the two diamonds I currently wear as studs (SMTR thread link) in my ears to make it a three stone. But, I just found a thread in RT that talks about how three stones can really make the center stone look smaller than it would look in a solitaire setting. So, I would have to decide if it would really be worth it. But, that''s thinking wayyy too far in the future
2.gif

DiamondCat

Shiny_Rock
i''m planning to keep the same ring forever since i''m quite sentimental and i wouldn''t ever upgrade my wedding band either. if i fall in love with other designs and diamonds shapes, there''s always my right hand
31.gif
31.gif

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I will most likely keep my e-ring the same forever. It is on the smaller side for some people''s taste, but that is something I love about it. I will be able to wear it every day to work because it won''t get caught on my gloves, and I will always be able to wear it out without feeling like I''m a target. If I had truly wanted a bigger ring, I would have asked for one.

FutureMrsMRS

Rough_Rock
I can''t understand the concept.

But then, I''m not too obsessed with shiny, sparkly things. My ring is sweet & simple (like me! LOL!) I would never change it. I don''t need a "bigger" ring down the line.

And FI jokes that if he were asked to upgrade, he''d upgrade alright....to a more appreciative fiancée! ;-)

But...perfect example of ''to each their own''.

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty sure I will not upgrade... I''m still new to the concept and I do love shiny things but an ering is too sentimental to me and since I get to pick what I want I know I will love it.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
I tend to be a sentimental person and never thought that I would want to upgrade. When we initially started ring shopping, FF mentioned that his plans are to upgrade my ring within 3-5 years. And then there was Pricescope and the mention of folks upgrading left and right. And then we purchased an ACA stone from WF who has one of the best upgrade policies around. My "ring in waiting" is 1.3. My ideal stone would probably be a 2.0. Thus, I''ve kinda opened up to the idea of upgrading. After all, it''s just a rock anyway.
2.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 7:38:26 AM
Author:luckynumber
Or are you planning to keep the same e-ring forever and ever?

Do you think you might change your mind later on?

How does your other half feel about the phenomenon of 'upgrading', (which i never heard about before coming on PS)?

Any and all thoughts welcome!

1.gif

This is a tricky question for me to answer. I never had an e-ring to begin with. I did choose a ring as my wedding ring to get married with, but shortly after my wedding when I was wearing it everyday I realized how uncomfortable and impractical it was to wear all day and that I wanted something quite different (including a two-ring set with an "e-ring" and band) for practical, comfort and lifestyle reasons. I have never really looked at rings before, or worn them much, so I was totally clueless as to what I wanted and when we had a short engagement I did not have a whole lot of time to REALLY decide what I wanted in a ring.

The new ring set is not set with a diamond centre either, and is quite simple and understated I think...but I do not plan to ever change this set. I put a lot of time and effort into figuring out what I wanted and finding the right vendor and so on. I added sentimental touches to it as well. Not opposed to it, but just as.....this is the ring set for me. It is truly "me". I can always get right hand rings but I am not a big jewelery person (especially not rings) so even that is doubtful! I'd rather take a vacation together to celebrate an anniversary then "upgrade" my ring?

I don't really even consider mine an upgrade as I never really had an e-ring to begin with. Though I did have to switch out the band as a result of getting the e-ring. So I am not sure what puts me into! Some would call it an upgrade I guess...but I don't consider it one since there was no e-ring to begin with.

I also think I would have not even considered an upgrade if DH had picked out my e-ring for me (he is somewhat knowledgeable about diamonds and rings too). Things just did not go that way for several reasons.

DH would not be opposed to "upgrading" mine. He was quite supportive when I shared my discomfort and dissatisfaction with my original wedding ring. He is very sentimental about his ring, and even my own original wedding ring, however even as we were looking originally for our wedding rings he suggested that we could get something for the time being and when we went to Dubai we could look for a nice diamond down the road, after we were married, to wear. When I shared my discomfort and dissatisfaction with the original he almost immediately suggested we could take that trip even sooner. However, diamonds are really not my thing, and I would rather not. I was quite happy finding a colored stone setting that worked for me. I don't foresee at this point ever replacing my stone or setting unless something happened to it. Though, who knows how I will feel in a few years!

In "real life" I really never see people "upgrading" as I do on PS. I think it is fine to do now and then if you as a couple agree and I am not opposed to it...but sometimes I don't quite get the "rush to upgrade" or the urgency it seems to come with. I see a lot of people thinking about upgrades on an almost continuous basis...and upgrading little by little every few months just to hit some magic "number". That just does not fit for me personally. Each to their own though. Many of them would not "get" my own ring choice or preferences either!

Clear as mud?
19.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, a bigger diamond would be nice, but, I don''t plan on upgrading. 1. My FI really likes the size and how it looks on my finger. 2. I love him and it''s my engagement ring. I don''t want to change it!

I think about it, but...I won''t do it. I''d rather get sentimental bands for anniversaries or something and keep my engagement ring what it was originally.

IF something were to happen to my current stone for some sucky reason...that may be the ONLY reason for us to do anything.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m torn. I used to be absolutely against it and very sentimental. Now....
I don''t know. I like it and it is comfortable to wear all the time but .... Maybe just a touch bigger and a bit higher clarity....
But it is special...

Right now, I''m leaning towards keeping this one and eventually getting a larger one too. (esentially identical, just .5ct or so bigger) Maybe switch them out? Wear the little (original) one when doing stuff and the big (new) one for nice occasions (work, school, watching movies...)

LAG2010

Shiny_Rock
I definitely won''t upgrade. I love my ring, especially the thought, time and effort my fiance put into choosing the perfect diamond and having the setting made.

I wouldn''t mind a nice new pair of diamond studs though!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
I won''t upgrade my e-ring too. My bf''s like "you won''t upgrade it... i know you." That''s true. It''s too sentimental.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 9:32:39 AM
Author: FutureMrsMRS
I can''t understand the concept.

But then, I''m not too obsessed with shiny, sparkly things. My ring is sweet & simple (like me! LOL!) I would never change it. I don''t need a ''bigger'' ring down the line.

And FI jokes that if he were asked to upgrade, he''d upgrade alright....to a more appreciative fiancée! ;-)

But...perfect example of ''to each their own''.
Ha! Yes, mine would say the same thing.

Like you, I don''t need a bigger ring down the line. But I might like more rings...
2.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I will, but I also believe in "never say never"!
2.gif

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m with you, IndyLady (and congrats on the Fulbright!). I don''t think I''ll upgrade my ring but I won''t rule anything out. We''re looking at stones in the 1-1.5 ct range and I think that''s a good size for me. I have pretty big hands (sz 7 and wear men''s gloves-ha!) but I like more subtle jewelry. I don''t know what setting bf will choose, but I could see maybe getting a new setting down the road somewhere. I think I''d opt for an anniversary band/diamond earrings over an upgraded rock
1.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
If by upgrade you mean trade in or sell my current ring or stones to go towards somthing bigger- then no I will never upgrade.

However, I would consider getting another e-ring in the distant future and either keeping my original ring as is or using the stones in other jewellery. My current ring is lovely but not "perfect" and does have some issues but it is what we can/could afford at this time. I have a very obsessive personaity so would like to end up with somthing from Diamonds by Lauren with just a little more finger coverage (size 8+ finger) which is "perfect" for me.

Weather BF will agree to that in the future, I don''t know, but if he get''s a new car why couldn''t I get a new ring? I will just try not to use the term upgrade, he already makes fun of the PS idea of "push presents".

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL!! Asking this question in the "Ladies In Waiting" section? OF COURSE most are going to say "No WAY!"

Things are cloudy. Ask again later.
31.gif

p.s. -- Next thread: Are You Going To Get Divorced?!!! NO! Me Either! NONE of us are!
11.gif

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! Such the cynic. You''ll forgive us for thinking we will be immune to DDS.
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 6:14:01 PM
Author: decodelighted
LOL!! Asking this question in the ''Ladies In Waiting'' section? OF COURSE most are going to say ''No WAY!''

Things are cloudy. Ask again later.
31.gif

p.s. -- Next thread: Are You Going To Get Divorced?!!! NO! Me Either! NONE of us are!
11.gif

Ha, there actually was a thread a couple of months ago about divorce and several posters (some not married yet) said that divorce just was NOT an option for them.
11.gif

As for the upgrade, when I got engaged my now-husband actually told me I could upgrade my diamond later on. I guess he was happy he finally found a way to get me to shut it about wanting a 2 carat diamond!
3.gif
Interestingly enough, now he''s not quite as keen on the idea as he was BEFORE he bought my e-ring!
9.gif

Not sure if I''ll actually ever upgrade...it''s more likely that I''ll just buy a new diamond and setting altogether. I thought seriously about upgrading a few months ago but I got pretty sentimental about my ring and it didn''t go any further than looking.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 5:37:34 PM
Author: babygirl
I''m with you, IndyLady (and congrats on the Fulbright!). I don''t think I''ll upgrade my ring but I won''t rule anything out. We''re looking at stones in the 1-1.5 ct range and I think that''s a good size for me. I have pretty big hands (sz 7 and wear men''s gloves-ha!) but I like more subtle jewelry. I don''t know what setting bf will choose, but I could see maybe getting a new setting down the road somewhere. I think I''d opt for an anniversary band/diamond earrings over an upgraded rock
1.gif

Thank you Babygirl!
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice, deco
2.gif

As for the upgrade.. I didn't think I would ever upgrade before we got engaged, and now I'm waiting on CADs for ring (and centrestone) #4. For one reason or another. And we're not yet married. Learnt my lesson: never say never.

So long as five years down the road I'm not on husband #4
23.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll absolutely upgrade the ring if the opportunity arises.
The husband, though, no way.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''m sentimental, so I''ll probably upgrade once or twice. I think my dream size is about 1.5 ct.

BF isn''t sentimental one bit, and it totaly fine with me upgrading BUT he thinks 1ct+ diamonds look gaudy on my small hands (he has a very keen asthetic sense).
Time to live in a more affluent area to adjust him to larger size diamonds!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I would not upgrade my ring in the sense of trading in my current ring, or selling it to achieve an upgrade; I am not going to say I am limiting myself to only owning one "e-ring" or "wedding band" throughout my entire life though
11.gif
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if I''ll upgrade my ring. I love it and am attached to it. By upgrade I mean trade for a larger stone...I do love the look of ovals with trill sides, so that would be an option if I decided to reset it.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I will never upgrade the stone - it's plenty big for me and it's an heirloom from DH's family.

I'm not necessarily opposed to changing the setting somewhere down the line though. Not sure how DH would feel about that, but if it was 10 years from now I don't think he would mind. However, I'd really rather not change the setting and would only do so if I really started to hate it for some reason.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My husband is pretty opposed to me upgrading. I do think I will probably reset it at some point. The way things are going now I think I will be able to save up for an anniversary ring of considerable size. At least I plan to! The only person I know IRL who got an upgrade was DH''s aunt who got a 2 carat princess for her 20th wedding anniversary gift. Its a totally new ring. Not sure what she did with the old one but I''ve never seen her wear it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope I''ll never upgrade my e-ring. I still love it as much now as when we picked it out and can''t picture myself having a different one.

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I really don''t think I''d ever upgrade my e-ring because, like most have said, I too am a very sentimental person. I never say never so who knows though lol. I wouldn''t ever stop wearing the original but maybe one day I might would get a bigger one to wear on special occasions but since I haven''t gotten my e-ring yet i have no clue how big it will be so... we''ll see! Even if it was small though I doubt I''d even get a bigger one later because i would probably be too attached and wouldn''t want to take it off ever!

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
Nope! We don''t really believe in upgrading, in the sense that it totally isn''t for us. That''s a major part of the reason we aren''t engaged yet. He could easily have gotten me a ring, probably as far back as a year ago. But we have the same idea about what we want, and so it''s taking a little longer to save. We''re just going to get the size we want when we get engaged instead of starting smaller and working our way there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results