shape
carat
color
clarity

Will full fda approval of Pfizer change anything?

Will full FDA approval change anything?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • dont know

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Will full FDA approval change anything?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt it will change many minds.
Some, but not many.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Nope, they're already moving goalposts.
Their excuses are just that, excuses.
It's why they'll suddenly be all for treatment of (actual experimental) monoclonal antibodies the minute they get ill.

*But, if you mean adoption of widespread mandates for organizations and activities, then yes, that's already begun.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted yes, because it means military personnel will be vaccinated. More people vaccinated is more people vaccinated.

I'm not sure how many other vaccine-reluctant people will now get the shot. People tend to get entrenched in their position.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great to think so, but apart from certain groups now having to be vaccinated (our Gov is introducing a no jab no job policy soon for care home workers), like @ItsMainelyYou, I think those who’ve used the “It’s not FDA approved” excuse, will continue to find others.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think now vaccines can be mandated, at least in certain situations. And mandates can be enforced. I hope.
Once we get fda approval for the other COVID vaccines we will be in a better position. I hope.

People won’t change on their own but perhaps new rules will force them to do so.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think it will change the general no-vaxer 's mind. They'll just come up with other excuses like it was rushed. They dont
trust the approval.

I hope I'm wrong.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Not really. Being unvaxxed for covid has become a personality trait to these people. Getting the vaccine means losing part of their identity and admitting they were wrong. They'd rather die...literally.

sbfairy

Rough_Rock
Not really. Being unvaxxed for covid has become a personality trait to these people. Getting the vaccine means losing part of their identity and admitting they were wrong. They'd rather die...literally.

100% This!!!! Anti-vaxxers wear their status like a badge of honor. Now they'll just say that it wasn't tested long enough or that they don't know the long term effects. I gave up trying to explain the testing process or how many people took part in the trials or how the vaccine works. I've had most of these conversations while conducting a Covid test or delivering the news that they are Covid positive.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
100% This!!!! Anti-vaxxers wear their status like a badge of honor. Now they'll just say that it wasn't tested long enough or that they don't know the long term effects. I gave up trying to explain the testing process or how many people took part in the trials or how the vaccine works. I've had most of these conversations while conducting a Covid test or delivering the news that they are Covid positive.

I think the same.

I just had a conversation with a coworker of mine yesterday. She's a smart, educated woman and isn't vaccinated. She doesn't see the risk of her getting covid or her spreading covid is greater than the risk of the vaccine. She's convinced that it's just too new, too untested, etc. People like this, will likely not do it, unless it's a private conversation with a family doctor or if it hits home, where someone they know or themselves, gets very sick or dies.

For me, I come down firmly on the side of the risk of the vaccine (which is what some people cite as the reason they don't want to do it), even if there are side effects we don't know about that crop up years later, is less of a risk than getting the disease and getting very ill or dying, or spreading it to allow that to happen to someone else.

I agree that there may be things we don't know about the vaccine yet, because it is a new vaccine, but for me, the risk of the impact of the disease is demonstrably greater.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont think it will change the general no-vaxer 's mind. They'll just come up with other excuses like it was rushed. They dont
trust the approval.

I hope I'm wrong.
Sadly your not.
That is exactly what someone I know is saying after saying she would get her family vaccinated once approved and she is a nurse and has convinced others not to get the shot.
Drives me nuts.
On the other hand all the local hospitals are talking about making it mandatory.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Sadly your not.
That is exactly what someone I know is saying after saying she would get her family vaccinated once approved and she is a nurse and has convinced others not to get the shot.
Drives me nuts.
On the other hand all the local hospitals are talking about making it mandatory.

I'm a nurse and it boggles my mind how many colleagues are anti-vacc. It really makes me wonder how and why they got into nursing.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not until people can’t do the things they want to do, or can’t get paid to come to work without being vaccinated. You have to freedom to not get the shot, but I also have the freedom to not get sick because of your poor decision making. Sooooo glad I have my card!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Sadly your not.
Drives me nuts.

Up here north of Karl K two hospital systems are making it mandatory, Prevea and Aurora.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have “vaccine hesitant” and rampant anti-vaxers on both sides of the family. I don’t think FDA approval will sway them. I am nonetheless optimistic that the approval will give some people the courage/excuse they need to get vaccinated, particularly people who might have been on the fence and have held off largely because of societal pressures, i.e. vax hesitancy is the norm in their family or social circle.

But I think the greatest boost will come from employers and venues that require proof of vaccination.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The only anti-vaxxer I know is happy to take pills and other "dietary" supplements of dubious origin. Apparently those are fine but he doesn't want the government to "change his dna" with the vaccine.

I told him that if exposure to foreign dna was that risky, he was in imminent danger of turning into a relative of the baked potato he was eating.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think mandates that will negatively impact their lives will be the only thing that will change people’s mind. If people can’t work, find a job or are unable to do the things they enjoy (travel, hotels, restaurants, concerts) this may change their thinking.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only anti-vaxxer I know is happy to take pills and other "dietary" supplements of dubious origin. Apparently those are fine but he doesn't want the government to "change his dna" with the vaccine.

I told him that if exposure to foreign dna was that risky, he was in imminent danger of turning into a relative of the baked potato he was eating.

I really wish people would take the time to educate themselves instead of just believing random things they hear from unreliable sources. From the CDC website:

Will a COVID-19 vaccine alter my DNA?​

illustration of DNA strand

No. COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept.

Learn more about mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer the original question, I doubt it will change too many peoples' minds. They will just come up with other reasons. I really hope I'm wrong.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I really wish people would take the time to educate themselves instead of just believing random things they hear from unreliable sources. From the CDC website:

Will a COVID-19 vaccine alter my DNA?​

illustration of DNA strand

No. COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept.

Learn more about mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines.

Educated people think they know everything!

:roll2:

I resorted to potato humor because logic wasnt getting me anywhere. The idea that mRNA is part of normal functioning was met with a HOW DO YOU KNOW?!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think it will change many minds either, unfortunately. I do think it will help with more mandates. As a nurse, I struggle to understand healthcare professionals who refuse to be vaccinated. It is now a mandate at the local medical center and many nursing homes so that will help. Mandatory vaccines are not new to many healthcare facilities so hoping most will get vaccinated vs quit.

sbfairy

Rough_Rock
I don’t think it will change many minds either, unfortunately. I do think it will help with more mandates. As a nurse, I struggle to understand healthcare professionals who refuse to be vaccinated. It is now a mandate at the local medical center and many nursing homes so that will help. Mandatory vaccines are not new to many healthcare facilities so hoping most will get vaccinated vs quit.

I'm a nurse too and I remember just 10 years ago, when they made flu shots mandatory, the uproar that caused. There was a lot of "My Body My Choice" talk and a few people did quit or were let go because they refused. I see this as the same. The hospital I work at has a surprisingly high vaccination rate among all employees. In my department only 2 people are not vaccinated, one is a PRN person who hardly picks up and the other was an anti-vaxxer long before Covid. There are a few nurses I never in a million years thought would get vaccinated but they came to the vaccine clinic and got their shots. This is the only thing that gives me a little bit of hope in this mess. I do think more and more hospitals and medical facilities will put mandates in place.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a nurse too and I remember just 10 years ago, when they made flu shots mandatory, the uproar that caused. There was a lot of "My Body My Choice" talk and a few people did quit or were let go because they refused. I see this as the same. The hospital I work at has a surprisingly high vaccination rate among all employees. In my department only 2 people are not vaccinated, one is a PRN person who hardly picks up and the other was an anti-vaxxer long before Covid. There are a few nurses I never in a million years thought would get vaccinated but they came to the vaccine clinic and got their shots. This is the only thing that gives me a little bit of hope in this mess. I do think more and more hospitals and medical facilities will put mandates in place.

I enthusiastically and sincerely hope that my hospital and organization enact a mandate.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Educated people think they know everything!

:roll2:

I resorted to potato humor because logic wasnt getting me anywhere. The idea that mRNA is part of normal functioning was met with a HOW DO YOU KNOW?!

I know @MrsBlue. Some people are so entrenched in their beliefs they are dismissive about the science behind the vaccines, and of the way vaccines work. I am amazed by how people have latched onto misinfortmation and won't let go. I never thought this vaccine would be met with such resistance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many people will wait for an updated version 2.0 vaccine before they take their 3rd shot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results