shape
carat
color
clarity

Will an N color OMC be yellow?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll keep this short and sweet, I’m looking for a yellow old cut, this is my ideal color but it’s way too expensive, sorry this is blurry, it’s a screenshot.

43665024-4C49-4C3E-BD74-1C469C638696.jpeg

I haven’t had much luck, this morning I thought I would do another search and came across a GIA certed OMC, N color, it is set in yellow gold. From the pictures it looks pretty yellow but will an N show yellow most of the time or only in certain lighting?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My theory would be it’ll have to be a straight yellow, no modifiers at all. ( I think that’s going to be the hardest aspect to find imo)
And yes it will depend on the environment to look that depicted bright/pure yellow. At least how as I see your example on my monitor, for a GIA N.
I think different fluorescent colors can work forward or against the perception.

Fun hunt!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
In my experience - it will not. I wish because I also covet a fancy yellow old cut...I have a stone that is uncerted but I believe it's N or O; it's set in yellow gold but doesn't look yellow. It can have a golden warm look but not yellow. Agree that some unusual fluor might get you somewhere in that domain but that can be tough to find!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My theory would be it’ll have to be a straight yellow, no modifiers at all. ( I think that’s going to be the hardest aspect to find imo)
And yes it will depend on the environment to look that depicted bright/pure yellow. At least how as I see your example on my monitor, for a GIA N.
I think different fluorescent colors can work forward or against the perception.

Fun hunt!!

I think the monitor picture is an inspiration photo to show the color of the stone she's after, not the N she found? That's how I read it - correct me if I am wrong @YadaYadaYada

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the monitor picture is an inspiration photo to show the color of the stone she's after, not the N she found? That's how I read it - correct me if I am wrong @YadaYadaYada

Oh yes- you are right. I see that now. Oops - sorry!!

And yes- the golden warm look you mention I think will be the rule of what’s found in lower-mid alphabet. Bright lemony yellow tint will be the exception.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry that was unclear! Thanks @Mreader for clarifying. The picture I posted is a ring that I found and they are asking 7K for it :eek2: Okay so it doesn’t sound like an N is going to get me where I need to be.

I was considering a fancy yellow oval modified Brilliant from DBL but I’m afraid that the faceting of that cut will be too busy.

Champagne taste, beer budget :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Sorry that was unclear! Thanks @Mreader for clarifying. The picture I posted is a ring that I found and they are asking 7K for it :eek2: Okay so it doesn’t sound like an N is going to get me where I need to be.

I was considering a fancy yellow oval modified Brilliant from DBL but I’m afraid that the faceting of that cut will be too busy.

Champagne taste, beer budget :lol:

I feel you - that is SO expensive! What is the size of the stone? I remember Exquisite Jewelers had a fancy yellow and it was TDF; 1.6 GIA and under 8K with offer settings, which is a good price imho (though I still couldn't buy it...). It sold but posting the picture because I saved it since I loved it so much! The ring you posted looks more dainty. I wonder if an S-T or W-X might get you where you want. For some reason, and I don't know why (and maybe this is just my eyes) the old cuts which tend to be round or cushion are harder to look fancy in the alphabet colors, unlike the more modern radiants where you can deffo get that fancy look in an alphabet diamond.

s-l1600.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it will look yellow. I have 2 old cuts that are maybe u-v-z lol and they look golden bc they are set in yellow gold. Never yellow. Maybe more like melted butter.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d drop a call to DBL to ask what they might haveon hand that’s lower alphabet /straight yellow tone and old cut that’s maybe not listed….. :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, I can’t find the listing now but that diamond in the picture I posted is not very big maybe 3/4 carat if I remember correctly. Wow that’s an amazing ring by Exquisite :kiss2:

I did see the I&R one but agree about the designation and honestly for 2k I can get a certed fancy yellow oval with a diamond halo and a trade up policy from DBL. I just don’t know that a more modern cut is going to scratch the itch.

@Niel, if anyone can find this it’s going to be you! The DBL ring is 2k so that’s probably what I’m looking to spend, I don’t have a size requirement at all, like I’m not expecting to get a huge stone with my budget just looking for that color if it’s even possible.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @nala and @Rfisher for your suggestions and insight as well :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, I can’t find the listing now but that diamond in the picture I posted is not very big maybe 3/4 carat if I remember correctly. Wow that’s an amazing ring by Exquisite :kiss2:

I did see the I&R one but agree about the designation and honestly for 2k I can get a certed fancy yellow oval with a diamond halo and a trade up policy from DBL. I just don’t know that a more modern cut is going to scratch the itch.

@Niel, if anyone can find this it’s going to be you! The DBL ring is 2k so that’s probably what I’m looking to spend, I don’t have a size requirement at all, like I’m not expecting to get a huge stone with my budget just looking for that color if it’s even possible.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, I found the listing for that picture it is .88 fancy yellow GIA center VS1.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think N will look quite yellow enough given your inspiration pic

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada sent you a link through LT with a loose stone you may like.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s a pretty one @Niel, my only issue is it’s a small size with stones on the band and I would have to size it up quite a bit.

@lovedogs, yeah, I’m going to have to go way lower in color to get what I’m aiming for I’m afraid. I have even considered something outside of a diamond, like a
colored stone ring, but haven’t had any luck.

@Taylorbug!, thank you so much! I have seen that one but I’m a little concerned it might have more brown in it than I’m aiming for. I have a yellow brown diamond so I’m looking for something that is more pure yellow.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel, I’m not married to a diamond, if you come across a yellow sapphire ring with that color then that would work too. Maybe with a diamond halo? It’s really more about color than anything else but a relatively hard stone for durability.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh maybe, good thinking @Lookinagain. I’ve ordered some sims in different yellows to try. I figure better to try before I buy.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. I have an N color old mine that I purposely set in yellow gold to hopefully look warmer. It never looks yellow. It honestly hardly looks warmer than my modern round brilliant J most of the time. I’d call it an ivory lace color. I also have a UV OMC and it does look fancy light yellow in some lighting but can actually look pretty white in other lighting. I had an OP OMC to that I sold and would never have considered it yellow. I love yellow diamonds and honestly neither my N or my UV are yellow enough for me. I’m considering selling both to “upgrade” to a larger YZ or light fancy yellow in the future. I’d go WX or warmer if I were you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lovedogs and @Mjay, I actually came across a GIA W-X color on EBay (just looking to see what the color grades were that caught my eye) and that color is probably my favorite.

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
Probably not what you are looking for...https://reginagioielli.com/en-us/collections/new/products/vintage-yellow-sapphire-and-diamond-ring-in-platinum

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think it will look yellow in all lighting conditions. My AVR has a sunny warmth and shows a lot of color reflection.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @marymm, I did see that one, love the cut but not yellow enough unfortunately. However I am working with David at DBL on a fancy yellow diamond ring so I think I may have found what I’m looking for :appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think so. I have an N OEC that is not yellow at all. More like a creamy color. Here is a side view to show it at it's creamiest.

DSCN0710[1].jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results