shape
carat
color
clarity

Why no ex/ex cushions ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
when I''m searching for cushions (as I have been for an eternity)
why are there no ex/ex or even a vg/ex?

I noted 1 or 2 vg/vg, but they were more squarish.

I remember reading a post on DT that said to only buy ex/ex in a newer modern brilliant cushion.
Ok, from what I can tell, and from my searches with other jewelers, that is not going to happen.
It doesn''t exist for me.

But, I wonder why they aren''t listed on the PS search, do they really don''t exist??

Stupid question, but do they cut cushions that fine?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some brands make a point of the finish grades... For example, the "Daniel K" cushions... see Nice Ice for those - the stones are not only sold via the D.K. brand by the cutters.

Sometimes such stones are listed. Among the larger stones, it may be harder to find such a thing (or anything specific - there's just less to choose from).

Icestore makes a point by listing only VG finish or better (LINK).

If anything, I would care allot more about the symmetry grade. It may not tell that the stone looks 'symmetrical' (optical symmetry describes that - and it is not graded) but at the best, these tend to coincide. I.e. there is no room for missed facet meets and misshapen facets if optical symmetry needs to be tops, and if the finish symmetry is 'perfect' there is little room for optical randomness.

No surprise there isn't a hoard of stones over 3 cts. I wonder if the 4.8 F-Si1 is not a modern 'old mine' style cushion (large culet, Ex-Ex). That would make quite a sight
1.gif

My 2c.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 9:44:47 PM
Author:Ann
when I''m searching for cushions (as I have been for an eternity)
why are there no ex/ex or even a vg/ex?

I noted 1 or 2 vg/vg, but they were more squarish.

I remember reading a post on DT that said to only buy ex/ex in a newer modern brilliant cushion.
Ok, from what I can tell, and from my searches with other jewelers, that is not going to happen.
It doesn''t exist for me.

But, I wonder why they aren''t listed on the PS search, do they really don''t exist??

Stupid question, but do they cut cushions that fine?
i thought you had bought a cushion awhile back--werent you looking for 4 carats or something? i was on a long hunt for a cushion (ended up with an EC) but learned a lot on the way. The geometry of the cushion shape (as we are most familiar with it) does not lend itself to symmetry.................you are more likely to find a smaller cushion with EX EX than a large..................

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm - makes sense WS

No, I never found what I was looking for. It seems there are stones under 3cts. and some over 4, but when Mark at ERD was hunting for me, there was nothing to be found. I have looked some more since then and the same void comes up.
So, I thought I might explore ovals or maybe find a round that lights my fire.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 11:22:36 PM
Author: Ann
Hmmm - makes sense WS

No, I never found what I was looking for. It seems there are stones under 3cts. and some over 4, but when Mark at ERD was hunting for me, there was nothing to be found. I have looked some more since then and the same void comes up.
So, I thought I might explore ovals or maybe find a round that lights my fire.
you know a round in really gorgeous setting might do i for you..................i kind of regret not getting a round. have you considered some of the branded sqare modified briliants through GOG?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
WS,

don''t like square.

Have not seen a round setting that I like and believe me I LOOK, all the time.

a lozenge shape radiant would work, but yeah, those are just sitting around - not!!

I considered radiant, actually that is what started the search. A yellow starburst radiant, Michael Beaudry. Yummy.
Then every radiant I have seen looked off - that coke bottle swirl in the center.
I saw one 4.07 cushion in Scotsdale (Harry Kotlar), I almost bit the bullet on that one. But I''m glad I didn''t. From the back, it looked like black pepper sprayed on it. Reflections - maybe.

Love emerald cuts, but would want a 4ct to get the look I want and color/clarity needs on an EC would push the price too high.

So, maybe an oval set with a halo that sorta gives me that cushion shape. I have seen a Beaudry set that way. But those dang bowties on an oval.

It seems I keep running into all these issues with different cuts. So to get close to perfection, a round would work, except I''m not crazy about them. There was Toni''s ring on Pearlmans site that I thought was nice.

I actually thought about getting a vendor in NYC to set a bunch of stones in my price range in front of me and let me play. Then go from there. But who has time for a PS crazied client? I am afraid I will just go to NYC and walk down 5th or some street and just buy something to get this over with!!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2005 1:01:42 AM

I actually thought about getting a vendor in NYC to set a bunch of stones in my price range in front of me and let me play. ... But who has time for a PS crazied client?

Art of Platinum? They can source your stone too... and the size range would fit the profile of the shop neatly, so there may be enough options, even considering unusual cuts.

They surely know Pricescope (fan club?) by now.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
so ann...........your first choice is a chunky oval shape?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a 3.05 G VS2 on the PS search which lists ex/ex. This stone is listed by JewelryZone. I am not that familiar with cushion cuts so I don''t know about the other measurements of the stone in terms of what you are looking for. You''re right - they must be hard to come by. I think I would contact several vendors about what I was looking for so they could keep their eyes open for you.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Sounds delicious!

Ann...check on blue nile every now and then (maybe every friday)... new ones pop up...then you can refer that link to the vendor you're working with...I look every friday (in the hopes my dream 2.5-3.0 G Si1 will show up LOL)

Have you tried going to Daniel K itself if you don't mind the rather large premium?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have found myself searching Blue Nile a few times. So Far, nothing.

No culet, little or no Flor., no lower than G, SI1. And rectangular. A tough cookie to find.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a common misconception:
A diamond with Symmetry graded EX/EX by GIA is a better cut than one given Good/Good

THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!
This means that by eliminating stones of Good/Good sym/polish, buyers might miss the very best diamond.

Some of the most amazing cushions I've seen were "merely" good/good in polish symmetry.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
David, yeah you are right, but I return to my original question.

Why no ex/ex on cushions? Have you ever seen one? Are they out there? Am I searching for a needle in a haystack?

I''m looking for 3-4ct., rectangular shape

And, in regard to the radiant lozenge shape, are those common?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,
Yes, I have seen EX/EX cushions.
Common is a relative word.
For example, 24 months ago, 3-4 carat cushions were not that easy to find.
Today it is a LOT more difficult.

I have not seen many of the "lozenge" shaped diamonds- and when I have they've been fancy colors.

Look- as far as the haystack- forget the Ex/EX- and keep your eyes and mind open.
Maybe you'll find your Ex EX- but I would strongly suggest looking at the stone and judging it's merits before you look at the Symmetry and polish grades.
If I were you I'd ask the dealer NOT to tell you till you eyeball them.

I'd hate to see you skip a great stone because you were convinced G/G was somehow "not good enough"

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh David, I have not limited my search to just ex/ex, by no means. I will look at anything

I just wondered why there were never any listed on PS search. And of course there was the comment on DT about only buy ex/ex. I do know better, but was curious why they are so hard to find.

Are ovals in the 3-4ct range tough to source?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ann, have we learned anything here?
41.gif
9.gif

You will NOT see a medium culet. You might see a large.
You will NOT see any difference by medium flourescence except that your stone might appear a tad whiter.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
hey can anyone post pics of medium culet and a large culet? I have seen (in person) a large culet and did not like it.
So, I really can''t see a medium.? And flor. - well, I am flexible on that one.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I have a medium culet, not visible.
My new pendant is an H medium Blue and it''s awesomely white (although it is round)

I wonder if there are any cutters who let you commission a stone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2005 9:28:32 PM
hey can anyone post pics of medium culet and a large culet?
They are probably a bit more visible in a drawing than in flesh. Below ''large'' is hard to make the culet show at all unless under some magnification (as the wireframes are).

Hope this helps.

culetsize.JPG

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2005 9:35:05 PM
Author: moremoremore
I have a medium culet, not visible.
My new pendant is an H medium Blue and it''s awesomely white (although it is round)

I wonder if there are any cutters who let you commission a stone?
I know, I know! I''d love to have a stone cut. But what would you do if you didn''t like it - uh oh!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are rounds still anywhere in the run?

Remembered THIS (the setting by Stardust you have posted a while back) because of a less wiry version that came up recently:

fourSet.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That is stunning! I say just go huge and round and just so it! I mean, I LOVE my cushions but geez, how long is a gal going to have to wait? And rounds are so much easier to find. And set it with a lovely four prong setting and BAM.

diamondman9999

Rough_Rock
I just bought a Cushion and had it recut as I couldn''t find very many that fit my specifications. Will let you all know how it turns out. The original was pretty good but I wanted to see if I could get something even better - as most diamonds are cut for weight not beauty. Unfortunately 8* won''t cut cushions (I asked), but my Jeweler had his wife''s Cushion recut which turned out beautiful, so I decided to risk it.

Anyhow the original is a 1.52 F VS2 VG/G, no fluorescence, 60% table, 69% depth, about 1.10 L/W ratio - roughly 6.94X6.48X4.24 if I remember correctly, faceting pattern under the GIA Cushion Modified Brilliant. Newly recut with round brilliant faceting type pattern to 1.35 F VS2 with a 55% table and 67% depth. I''m having it certified by AGS so don''t have other details on it yet. I realize the diamond is smaller by weight, but the diameter will remain about the same so it should look just as large.

Has anyone else tried buying a diamond and then getting it recut to ideal cut or as close to ideal cut specs?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone else tried buying a diamond and then getting it recut to ideal cut or as close to ideal cut specs?

Currently, I am supervising the cutting two diamonds that are being cut to ideal from less than ideal standards. Both over 2 carats.

One is an AGS 10 cut grade one. It weighs 2.01 now with an estimated finish weight of 1.50.

Rockdoc

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
But I would think that''s a pretty big risk to take if something goes wrong in the cutting process, no? Ins won''t cover it I bet....I can understand if you already had a diamond but to buy to recut scares me
19.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Confused, tired of looking.

Maybe a honking round ?

But I like sidestones!! Traps and shields. What''s a gal to do?

And pave'' and bead set.... see I can''t get anywhere. And yes I have tried on lots of settings.

All I know for sure is when I started this journey, my budget would have bought a 4-5ct stone, now it looks like it will have to be 3-4ct GRRR!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh cry me a river. 3-4 carats is huge!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2005 6:27:20 PM

Maybe a honking round ?

But I like sidestones!! Traps and shields. What's a gal to do?
Not long ago, Garry opened a thought-provoking thread about.. how to set a 9 cts Round! The final answer was... plain four prong platinum setting...
9.gif
Why not, in fact. Not that the stone needed any help.

Otherwise, would a CAD drawing be acceptable to set up a design? That would nearly solve the problem with a thorough design session. It may happen to find just the thing 'off the rack' but I doubt that is likely.

For example, speaking of sidestones... how about this with a 3-4 cts round?

Bullets.JPG

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2005 6:53:36 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 12/30/2005 6:27:20 PM

Maybe a honking round ?

But I like sidestones!! Traps and shields. What''s a gal to do?
Not long ago, Garry opened a thought-provoking thread about.. how to set a 9 cts Round! The final answer was... plain four prong platinum setting...
9.gif
Why not, in fact. Not that the stone needed any help.

Otherwise, would a CAD drawing be acceptable to set up a design? That would nearly solve the problem with a thorough design session. It may happen to find just the thing ''off the rack'' but I doubt that is likely.

For example, speaking of sidestones... how about this with a 3-4 cts round?
Yes, Ana that is one of my favorites. My husband just this minute said to get the da-n ring and get on with it. !! I spend so so much time online looking. And I look at any jewelry store that is in my view.
Can anyone magically make a round appear in that setting? Would a large RB overpower it?
This would be easy (ha) get the RB from WF or GOG and let Leon do his magic.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying...

round--beaudry-stilette.jpg

stilettehand1.jpg

If this is 2.6 round in halo, there isn''t much left for the sidestones... next to a 4 cts one!

(pictures of Art Nouveau''s ring)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results